Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 392 ✭✭JagerScout

mad that the indo reported it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Anyway, moving swiftly on, I see the weekend has rain forecast with heaviest spells in Kilkenny. Wonderful. Rain gear, I shall wear.

Shame we couldn't have had the weather for just a little longer although I haven't slept properly in about two weeks so it's not really all bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

A news story of national interest, according to the Independent

The mathematician has fled the country, he was so ashamed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 392 ✭✭JagerScout

hope the weather is back for august bank holiday.

Buer wrote: »
    Anyway, moving swiftly on, I see the weekend has rain forecast with heaviest spells in Kilkenny. Wonderful. Rain gear, I shall wear.

Shame we couldn't have had the weather for just a little longer although I haven't slept properly in about two weeks so it's not really all bad.

I like it warm in the weekends, but biking to work (or more biking home from work) in this sticky heat is a bit unpleasant. Fell off my bike today, too, which wasn't great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

JagerScout wrote: »
    mad that the indo reported it.

A paper only fit for one purpose these days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Gonna be 34 degree here at the weekend.

I haven't slept properly since I moved over here which is a fairly large downside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Raining on this side of the pond this weekend as well. Supposedly also tomorrow.

I'm not in work until Friday, so I'll get the last of the weather and then work through the rain :D

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Gonna be 34 degree here at the weekend.

I haven't slept properly since I moved over here which is a fairly large downside.

Take a shower under that big fountain thing they have in Geneva!

• Advertisement

A paper only fit for one purpose these days.

I know your new home Dublin is a tad more pricey than Limerick, thomond, but Lidl or the like are cheap enough for such essential items that you shouldn't have to stoop as far as the Indo...

I know none of us care a jot...but there must be some of ye with WAGs that are clued to the live streams from St Mary's maternity hospital?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

So has she had the baby yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

It's gas how all the news crews are camped outside the hospital when presumably any news would be released by Buckingham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Turned on Sky News earlier and someone said something about "the People's Pregnancy"..

..I nearly got sick into my own face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

decisions wrote: »
    So has she had the baby yet?

I thought you were talking about a product of the banned topic for a second :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

When Nicholas Witchell blows his load in a live broadcast from the hospital, you'll know that big news is imminent. God, I detest that little carrot top.

I know none of us care a jot...but there must be some of ye with WAGs that are clued to the live streams from St Mary's maternity hospital?

I wish. This evening has been designated as a "Wedding planning" night.

Give me round the clock coverage of the royal crowning any time ahead of poring over wedding stationery.

I did find the betting strangely fascinating, at least. They're already taking bets on where the kid will go to university.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I wish. This evening has been designated as a "Wedding planning" night.

Give me round the clock coverage of the royal crowning any time ahead of poring over wedding stationery.

I did find the betting strangely fascinating, at least. They're already taking bets on where the kid will go to university.

You've a lot to learn it seems. The key is to be absolutely f-ing useless so she doesn't want your help. And if that doesn't work have an opinion on EVERYTHING. She'll get sick of that pretty quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

wprathead wrote: »
    Turned on Sky News earlier and someone said something about "the People's Pregnancy"..

..I nearly got sick into my own face

On reading the above I thought of Maggie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg4t8sSUg6I

molloyjh wrote: »
    You've a lot to learn it seems. The key is to be absolutely f-ing useless so she doesn't want your help. And if that doesn't work have an opinion on EVERYTHING. She'll get sick of that pretty quick.

Oh, believe me. I'm f*cking useless at this, entirely. I'm angling for the reception to be in Supermacs, currently. Without a hint of irony, I've suggested:

- We send out an email instead of invites
    - Have one of the lads be photographer for the day
    - Have a civil ceremony

These have all fallen on deaf ears. She's at her wits end with it and I've now to make a genuine effort. The tactic now is to be really eager with things (currently looking for invites) and loudly proclaim "There's so many options and they're all really reasonable" followed by "Hey, look at this one, I really like it" at 3 minute intervals until she starts to be irritated by my calm enthusiasm and takes the reins once again.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Oh, believe me. I'm f*cking useless at this, entirely. I'm angling for the reception to be in Supermacs, currently. Without a hint of irony, I've suggested:

- Have a civil ceremony

These have all fallen on deaf ears. She's at her wits end with it and I've now to make a genuine effort. The tactic now is to be really eager with things (currently looking for invites) and loudly proclaim "There's so many options and they're all really reasonable" followed by "Hey, look at this one, I really like it" at 3 minute intervals until she starts to be irritated by my calm enthusiasm and takes the reins once again.

Just give her your credit card and pin number and tell her to sort it out. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Well it produced this gem atleast. I've watched it 20 times and now I've got the fit of the giggles... I'm actually in tears. The thought that this guy bided his time to wait in the crowd all day, waiting for the perfect moment... The fact he's not English makes it extra special.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4495906415975

Watch his reaction afterwards...

- Have a civil ceremony

Please sir, tell us more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

- Have a civil ceremony

Do what i did.....absolutely fcuk all.

I pulled the pure dumb one (not difficult for me).

Do you like these invites MF? They're all the same.
    Do you like this hotel MF? Sure it's the same as the other ones.
    What do you think of this music MF? All that sh*te sounds the same.

I'll ask my sister because you are fcuking hopeless. Sound - close the door on your way out.

To be honest buer no matter what decision you make, it will be over ruled by the war office anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

- Have a civil ceremony

Can't see anything wrong with either of these. what am I missing?

Nothing. You're a man, with a logic processor.

NOT that women don't have that either. But they've a million other processors that take precedent.

Oh, simplicity, thy name is Captain Hindsight.

She has generally been very agreeable with things I have no desire for such as a wedding car or ostentatious little extras throughout the day. But things like having a wedding in a church are not open for argument. 99% of Irish women (and a large chunk of men, I'd wager) want to get married in a church regardless of their beliefs. The invites is just a standard thing. Don't think I've ever been to a wedding where it wasn't a formal invitation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Get married in the Unitarian church on Stephens green. As such you can get married in a church but it can be as much of a civil ceremony as you want and it is a stunning venue.

As for the rest, do what we did. We had a Leinster table plan, came into the reception to 'welcome to the jungle', Blue bridesmaid dresses and myself and the groomsmen had Leinster ties.

Other than that all I will say is get a great photographer. It really makes a difference.
    edit: also send out invites but set up a cheap domain name and get the replies emailed to you

Yup, just going to ask people to respond to a generic "Buerwedding@Ivemadeaterriblemistake.ie" to cut down on the fuss.

Have the photographer. Ended up going back to the first bloke we met simply because he was by far the most laid back and sound (as well as liking his work) . Last thing I want is someone who is going to be demanding of us early enough in the day.

All in all, the plan is for as little fuss as possible, just for it to be a party. I'm relatively ambivalent towards the day and will be just waiting for the honeymoon, to be honest.

The UC is a cracking spot, by the way. Good shout. Alas, she's from beyond the pale and we will be getting hitched far from such a spot.

- Have a civil ceremony

I knew to say nothing about e-mail invites. A few of the lads didn't though. It was interesting sitting in the middle listening to them having the discussion with the now wife. They tried to sell it from every angle, from financial to environmental.

I didn't bother trying to be useless or being overly enthusiastic. I simply decided I would actually get involved nice and early. I wanted to be involved in the music part anyway so we sorted that first. When we went to view the church I told her I really liked the one she picked. That really threw her! Then when she started looking at invites I waited until she wasn't around an did a quick google image search for invites, picked out a few that weren't what she was after but weren't a million miles off. Then I presented those to her. She was so surprised that I was looking at this stuff on my own I managed to get her to want to do it all herself while dodging the grief at the same time. It was kind of a case of "He's actually trying in fairness, he just doesn't get it".

Like justsomebloke I did do up a Leinster table plan, which I'll admit to being genuinely proud of. It even had a nice little easter egg in it. The background image was one of Leinster fans celebrating the win at the 2012 HEC SF in Bordeaux and the two of us appeared in it. It meant mucking around on photoshop for a while which was grand. One of Ciaras aunts then arranged for a card signed by the team and one of Rhys Ruddocks match jerseys also signed as a present.

• Advertisement

get some of these fill them with sweets from Dealz and put them on each table http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/00030262/

Best thing is, you might not have to worry about carrying them home after the wedding as each and everyone of ours where taken by guests

Like justsomebloke I did do up a Leinster table plan

No, I said 'we' i.e. not me. I wasn't stupid enough to do anything that could go wrong and that I would get blame for.

also if you are looking for brownie points suggest something like these to put on the pews in the church. Apprently these sort of stupid lanterns are big business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Weddings sound like a pain in the arse

Grimebox wrote: »

Pretty much. When I got engaged I figured the day is 70% for her, 20% for her parents and 10% for me.

Most of the stuff above is actually grand, just a little tedious after a while. The real pain in the ass is the red tape. Registering the marriage, pre-marital course, letter of freedom etc. All costs money, all time consuming and all extremely dull but no choice if you want to be married in a church in Ireland.

No, I said 'we' i.e. not me. I wasn't stupid enough to do anything that could go wrong and that I would get blame for.

Haha, yeah I'm desperate for fecking around with stuff like that though. It went fine in the end. She initially wanted a Pro12 theme with the tables named as sides in the Pro12. I managed to talk her out of that. We agreed to use players names instead. So on a day off I did the whole thing up with the names of the players I wanted. The likes of Hickie and Gleeson were all in there. I was happy out with it. She didn't like that at all. She wanted current players only. Boo to that!
    also if you are looking for brownie points suggest something like these to put on the pews in the church. Apprently these sort of stupid lanterns are big business

You've to be very careful about this sort of thing. Some churches are ridiculously strict on what they will and won't allow.

Ah if you give yourselves enough time it's not too bad. But as Buer said above it's the official crap that gets tedious fast. The hoops you have to jump through and the money you have to pay, be it to the State or the Church, is mad. Other than that it's not too bad. That said loads of people commented on how chilled out myself and my wife were in the run up to it and on the day itself. So maybe we're just different?

done right, it will be by far the best day of your life (anyone who says the happiest day of their life was when their child was born is talking out their ass. Now that is a fucking stressful day)

You've to be very careful about this sort of thing. Some churches are ridiculously strict on what they will and won't allow.

Ye they generally won't allow any actual candles but they are all genearlly fine with the battery LED candles that don't run hot

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

My uncle is a pastor, and the last wedding I went to that he did the service lasted a grand total of 30 minutes and that includes all the signing stuff etc.

That's the sort of thing that's right up my street. The most boring, dull and uninteresting part of the day over in half an hour.

done right, it will be by far the best day of your life (anyone who says the happiest day of their life was when their child was born is talking out their ass. Now that is a fucking stressful day)

Agreed. As cheesy as it sounds it really is one of those days you can enjoy from start to finish. We were meant to have my wifes uncle doing the ceremony but he tore his achilles a few days before hand (ouch!) and we ended up with a last minute replacement. Could have been a disaster but he turned out to be sound. The photographer wasn't into doing too many staged shots and was more interested in having a laugh so that wasn't at all painful and the rest of the day you're either being waited on hand and foot, the centre of attention or drinking. Everyones in good form and everyones out for a good night. As long as you invite who you want to (forget about the family/neighbourhood politics crap), don't overcomplicate it and just chill the f out on the day it's all good.
    awec wrote: »
    My uncle is a pastor, and the last wedding I went to that he did the service lasted a grand total of 30 minutes and that includes all the signing stuff etc.

That's the sort of show I'll be looking for in future. The most boring, dull and uninteresting part of the day over in half an hour.

It's interesting how many people love that part of the day. It's just mass to me. But when you're up at the alter it does go by in a flash. Well except for the sermon. That always drags.

• Advertisement

Or if you really want something memorable you can end up with the Hearld taking photos of your wedding :o (long story)

Or if you really want something memorable you can end up with the Hearld taking photos of your wedding :o (long story)

I'm surprised they didn't. They seem to find us no matter where we go!

But you do need to tell us all now, you realise that....

Basically the year we were playing the final in Cardiff, the OLSC put up on facebook that they were looking for stories about how people were getting to the final.

As such given the wedding was in September there was no way we should of been able to go as we were saving for the wedding. Long story short I ditched plans for a stag so that both of us could go.

So the missus told the OLSC this, however a few hours later she gets a call from the Herald saying they would like to run the story in the Leinster section and wanted to send out a photographer to get a photo. So we said ye thinking it would only be one of those small tiny yokes in the leinster pull out. Turned out it was a half a bloody page spread.

However a couple of weeks before the wedding we get another call from them this time asking could they take a few photos of the wedding. Q us getting another half a bloody page spread in the Hearld.

Obviously then come London and we get another call. This time asking were we going that year and was there any other 'news'. So with missus 7 months pregnant we get our photos taken once again but only got a third of a page that time:D.

To add to my media whoring I got interviewed in Cardiff before the Amlin final by Will Greenwood for the Sky sports news channel, which the pub then showed for the rest of the night so Q people in the bar taking the piss out of me for that

Basically the year we were playing the final in Cardiff, the OLSC put up on facebook that they were looking for stories about how people were getting to the final.

As such given the wedding was in September there was no way we should of been able to go as we were saving for the wedding. Long story short I ditched plans for a stag so that both of us could go.

So the missus told the OLSC this, however a few hours later she gets a call from the Herald saying they would like to run the story in the Leinster section and wanted to send out a photographer to get a photo. So we said ye thinking it would only be one of those small tiny yokes in the leinster pull out. Turned out it was a half a bloody page spread.

However a couple of weeks before the wedding we get another call from them this time asking could they take a few photos of the wedding. Q us getting another half a bloody page spread in the Hearld.

Obviously then come London and we get another call. This time asking were we going that year and was there any other 'news'. So with missus 7 months pregnant we get our photos taken once again but only got a third of a page that time:D.

To add to my media whoring I got interviewed in Cardiff before the Amlin final by Will Greenwood for the Sky sports news channel, which the pub then showed for the rest of the night so Q people in the bar taking the piss out of me for that

Hahahaha, that can't be topped. Class. And people have claimed me and mine are media whores! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I never found that stressful at all!!

I arsed around the hospital reading magazines, the paper and drinking cups of coffee. By the time the 3rd one was born i was practically horizontal in the bed beside her. Being a man meant i was in skive mode while she was in hospital...both grannys on childminding duties while i "headed over to the hospital"...via the local cafe/bookies/shops.

Bit of heavy conversation going on in here. This is loosely related to rugby as Brother O'Connell is a massive Munster fan, but Rudisha is almost certainly the best 800m runner there's ever been, gold after gold after gold. Records galore etc.

This is a great little documentary that was released before the Olympics last year.

Found it again, thought I might share it here. Plenty of worse ways to spend 52 minutes!

http://vimeo.com/33808532

• Advertisement

ye phenomenal athlete and my track athlete of the Olympics with Bolt second. The Documentary is well worth a watch especially given the Irish connection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

It's just a shame he's out of the World Championships and the rest of the athletics season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I was at the Liverpool match last night in Melbourne. And wow that atmosphere was amazing. 95000 people and most of them Liverpool supporters. It was epic. Here's the whole stadium singing You'll Never Walk Alone. Brilliant. Not sure why they didn't put the Lions game in the MCG.

YNWA is one of the few things in football that raises the hairs on the back of my neck. Always a bit special.

Would the Lions have sold out the MCG? Melbourne is so ambivalent towards union for the most part. They'd have been relying very much on the Lions fans to take the additional 40k tickets, I'd have thought.

YNWA is one of the few things in football that raises the hairs on the back of my neck. Always a bit special.

Would the Lions have sold out the MCG? Melbourne is so ambivalent towards union for the most part. They'd have been relying very much on the Lions fans to take the additional 40k tickets, I'd have thought.

I doubt they'd have sold it out unless there was a lot more Lions fan about than made the game. A lot of Melbourne natives didn't even realise there was a game on when we arrived. It was really weird. We stayed in Surfers so didn't really see Brisbane but Sydney had Lions and Aussie flag up everywhere. You couldn't escape it. It was chalk and cheese between Melbourne and Sydney in that regard.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement