Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

molloyjh wrote: »
    Well as someone who rarely suffers hangovers I can understand this. At least you get the lie in on the weekend.

In my last job we didn't have Christmas parties the last few years and my first one in the new job is on Friday. But I have family all coming into Dublin that weekend and we'd all planned to go to the Connacht game and on for a few jars after so I'll be missing it. That said I'll probably do more drinking on Friday than I would have done with work...

I think I've found the crux of the problem right here!

I get horrific hangovers.

If I was at home I'd sleep it off till noon, eat some junk food and play some games. Maybe I'd get slightly insecure and embarrassed at flashbacks from the night before.

In work I have to get up with little sleep. I can't think straight while I go through phases of headaches and upset stomachs. Sometimes I can't even eat. If everyone has been out, its not so bad, but if its just me... I can't coast in my job at all. It's one of the worst feelings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Plenty of water is the key to no hangover imo. Drink a few pints of it when you're out, then before you go to bed have a pint of it, and when you wake up. Golden.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

.ak wrote: »
    Plenty of water is the key to no hangover imo. Drink a few pints of it when you're out, then before you go to bed have a pint of it, and when you wake up. Golden.

A good sh!te as well, to get all the badness out of ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I endorse this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Wait till you lads hit your thirties if you reckon you're getting hangovers now....

awec wrote: »
    A good sh!te as well, to get all the badness out of ye.

Especially if you're on the Guinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Buer wrote: »
    Wait till you lads hit your thirties if you reckon you're getting hangovers now....

Thirties?! Shush young fella ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

A pint of dioralyte before you go to bed to replenish the salts and you'll never have a hangover again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

In my mid-thirties and have escaped fairly well thus far.

Although I do believe, as ak said, the water is key. If you're going out make sure to drink a load of water that day and get yourself well hydrated before going anywhere. Prepare to succeed and all that guff...

• Advertisement

Teferi wrote: »
    A pint of dioralyte before you go to bed to replenish the salts and you'll never have a hangover again.

Ha, I bet the dioralyte doesn't work when you're full of vodka and redbull.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

errlloyd wrote: »
    Random question I guess, but are there many female posters on this board.

I'm usually pretty good at not assuming everyone in a guy, but on this forum I just do.

well sullivho (?) who posts a lot is definitely a woman

sydthebeat wrote: »

sullivlo, not ho, isn't it?

rvar6d.gif

Works magic, I guarantee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

sydthebeat wrote: »

It just seems statistically unusually male dominated. Even compared to the rest of the boards.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

molloyjh wrote: »
    sullivlo, not ho, isn't it?

rvar6d.gif

my bad LOL!!!!

• Advertisement

RuggieBear is a woman too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm a man, a real man, a real mans' man

I'm fairly sure P_1 is half the man he once was, does that make him half woman?

Yes.

I'm fairly sure P_1 is half the man he once was, does that make him half woman?

Yes.

Low blow, but we'll accept it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I kinda gave up drink for 3 years because of hangovers. I mean full on I'm going to die hangovers. Head opening and getting severe pins and needles down my arm into my fingers!!

Now I take a few sociable ones but I don't get drunk. It lost it's appeal fairly lively when the young ones pile in to you on a Sunday morning at 7 a.m looking for breakfast. Mind you the wife's friend is married to a doctor and I often thought of asking him to give me something like morphine so I could go out some night and get twisted and wake up in no pain!!

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    I kinda gave up drink for 3 years because of hangovers. I mean full on I'm going to die hangovers. Head opening and getting severe pins and needles down my arm into my fingers!!

Now I take a few sociable ones but I don't get drunk. It lost it's appeal fairly lively when the young ones pile in to you on a Sunday morning at 7 a.m looking for breakfast. Mind you the wife's friend is married to a doctor and I often thought of asking him to give me something like morphine so I could go out some night and get twisted and wake up in no pain!!

That's pretty rough going. I can see why it would lose it's appeal even without the kids. I've never understood why some people put themselves through so much for a night of drinking. I've had a couple of desperate hangovers from really stupid nights out and wouldn't be able for that on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Wait til you hit 40! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

I'm a man but ive been told I have a lovely pair.
    mfceiling wrote: »
    I kinda gave up drink for 3 years because of hangovers.

Fair play to ye. I drink far too much and I plan on giving it the boot in the near future. The only thing is I dont suffer from hangovers at all. The worst I ever have is an intense amount of energy first thing in the morning followed by some tiredness later on in the day. No headaches, cold sweats, restlessness, shakes or any of that stuff.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Wait til you hit 40! :(

*high five*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

RuggieBear is a woman too.

RuggieBear wrote: »

Where the aussie I used to work with would sing..."bald headed woman, bald headed woman with fleas"

Went to Brooks Hotel on Drury Street last night to their private cinema. Great little spot and worth checking out. 29 seater cinema, leather armchairs, 2 course dinner for 2 in their restaurant and popcorn/drink for €60 all in.

Given a trip to the Odeon now costs about €30 just for tickets and a couple of tubs of ice-cream, I'll be going again when they announce their line up for next few months.

Went to Brooks Hotel on Drury Street last night to their private cinema. Great little spot and worth checking out. 29 seater cinema, leather armchairs, 2 course dinner for 2 in their restaurant and popcorn/drink for €60 all in.

Given a trip to the Odeon now costs about €30 just for tickets and a couple of tubs of ice-cream, I'll be going again when they announce their line up for next few months.

That sounds cool. What movie did you see?

That sounds cool. What movie did you see?

Was the end of their Christmas season so they were screening It's A Wonderful Life. Have seen it about 50 times but loved it. Everyone that goes to the film they screen is generally a big fan of the film and familiar with it so you don't get people playing with phones, talking etc.

They do a public screening every Thursday. In December I think they were IAWL, Miracle on 34th Street and Die Hard.

Normally they do fairly popular classic or cult films. I recall seeing Jaws, Sixth Sense, Fight Club and Godfather on their line ups previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Was the end of their Christmas season so they were screening It's A Wonderful Life. Have seen it about 50 times but loved it. Everyone that goes to the film they screen is generally a big fan of the film and familiar with it so you don't get people playing with phones, talking etc.

They do a public screening every Thursday. In December I think they were IAWL, Miracle on 34th Street and Die Hard.

Normally they do fairly popular classic or cult films. I recall seeing Jaws, Sixth Sense, Fight Club and Godfather on their line ups previously.

I like classic films, but I must say "It's a wonderful life" didn't really do it for me, somewhat saccharine tedium. Do like James Stewart, though, Hitchock's Rear Window is a great flick.

• Advertisement

Swiwi. wrote: »
    I like classic films, but I must say "It's a wonderful life" didn't really do it for me, somewhat saccharine tedium. Do like James Stewart, though, Hitchock's Rear Window is a great flick.

You heartless monster! ;) It is overly long, in fairness, and is absolute cheese but that's possibly representative of the time it's from. Made just after WW2 when American was pumped full of optimism and pride.

An interesting tidbit is that the film wasn't actually overly lauded on its release. It was condemned to distant memory within a few years. However, in the 60s, due to a simple clerical error, the studio did not renew the copyright on the film and it fell into the public domain. Television networks took the opportunity to show it as much as they wanted and it became a hugely popular holiday fixture.

Stewart is a great actor and more versatile than he first comes across. The reinvention under Hitchcock was great. One of my favourite actors of all time.

That looks unreal

Yeah, here's their page if anyone interested:

http://www.brookshotel.ie/brooks_cinema_club.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

With most of the Leinster heads off to the RDS tonight I might be a bit late asking this but here goods. I'm heading up to Dublin tomorrow and trying to avoid the multistory car parks. Any free on street car parking in the suburbs on Saturdays, was thinking south side near Ranelagh, Ballsbridge, Donnybrook areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

phog wrote: »
    With most of the Leinster heads off to the RDS tonight I might be a bit late asking this but here goods. I'm heading up to Dublin tomorrow and trying to avoid the multistory car parks. Any free on street car parking in the suburbs on Saturdays, was thinking south side near Ranelagh, Ballsbridge, Donnybrook areas.

Don't like your chances in those neighbourhoods mate. I am 99% certain there aren't any free around Ranelagh on a Saturday. Not certain about the others but I wouldn't expect there to be any.

You could be lucky and get parked in a housing area somewhere, but doubtful.

Loads of places in those areas. Safest bet is along the canal between Grand Canal Dock and Baggot Street. The pay and display is Monday to Friday.

You'll need to be there relatively early as Dublin will be crazy tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Luas park and ride could be an option, a fiver for the day, if you don't want the hassle of driving around looking for a spot.

http://www.luas.ie/park-and-ride/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Cheers lads, I considered the LUAS P&R but thought the parking could be as mad as the multistorey car parking.

Will have a look at both LUAS & On Street parking tomorrow and see what happens.

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    Cheers lads, I considered the LUAS P&R but thought the parking could be as mad as the multistorey car parking.

Will have a look at both LUAS & On Street parking tomorrow and see what happens.

Second the park and ride phog. Every year i drive out to the Kylemore and park at the Royal Liver Park opposite McDonalds. Think it's 4 quid. No traffic, no queuing, no stress!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

My everything hurts...

P_1 wrote: »
    My everything hurts...

No quite true, we know one of your balls doesnt anymore!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Prepare for the cold, dark loneliness of miserable defeat Buer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

I third the park and ride. Even on all Ireland final weekends up from Kerry I've never had trouble finding a spot.

I must have put on a stone in the last month with all the eating and drinking and work nights and parties. It's bloody awful, really need to learn some self control and do some damn exercise :(

• Advertisement

I must have put on a stone in the last month with all the eating and drinking and work nights and parties. It's bloody awful, really need to learn some self control and do some damn exercise :(

Just one more mint

Just one more mint

It's waffer thin!

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Prepare for the cold, dark loneliness of miserable defeat Buer.

I thought my team had completely blown it for me when I went to bed but just when I thought I was out, Russell Wilson pulls me back in!

Season going right down to the very last game of Monday Night Football!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I thought my team had completely blown it for me when I went to bed but just when I thought I was out, Russell Wilson pulls me back in!

Season going right down to the very last game of Monday Night Football!

As if I didn't dislike the seahawks enough...

I hope Anderson and sanders crash into each other and both break many bones.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    As if I didn't dislike the seahawks enough...

I hope Anderson and sanders crash into each other and both break many bones.

.....in the 4th quarter after a landslide of TDs for both.

(Team name changed)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement