Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Ah the joy of the midday pint in a quiet killarney pub while everyone outside rushes around in a panic to finish their Christmas shopping. How so many people leave things to the last minute is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

chupacabra wrote: »
    Ah the joy of the midday pint in a quiet killarney pub while everyone outside rushes around in a panic to finish their Christmas shopping. How so many people leave things to the last minute is beyond me.

Yeah..... those people....

MROBbrM.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

chupacabra wrote: »

I've got the food, well bar a ham, still have to start on the presents.

I don't have many though, my nieces and nephews can get bent if they think I'm putting myself through buying presents for 6 under 8's.

The last time I spent 4 hours looking for one specific thing for 3 of my nephews and when I gave it to them they just dropped on in the ground, mumbled they didn't like it, and ran away. Saps!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Buer wrote: »
    .....in the 4th quarter after a landslide of TDs for both.

(Team name changed)

You, sir, are a jackass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I've got the food, well bar a ham, still have to start on the presents.

I don't have many though, my nieces and nephews can get bent if they think I'm putting myself through buying presents for 6 under 8's.

The last time I spent 4 hours looking for one specific thing for 3 of my nephews and when I gave it to them they just dropped on in the ground, mumbled they didn't like it, and ran away. Saps!

One word. Lego. And if they don't like it, they're weird, and I'll have a good play with it myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Joe Cocker RIP

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Joe Cocker RIP

Feck!

another one bites the dust.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Joe Cocker RIP

Feck!

another one bites the dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Commiserations, Podge. I went to bed on Sunday night thinking my season was done. Near 75 points from my last 3 players....it's a Christmas miracle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ok, this lad is either mad or a genius...probably closer to mad.

The front flip at 6.10 is nuts...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Survived the 23rd without going drinking...have had 2 near fatal alcohol related accidents on that date previously.
    But, on the downside, I have tonsilitis and my wisdom tooth is fckin killing me

Thinking of heading out to do my christmas shopping this evening...anyone know if any of the Topaz's open late today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

mfceiling wrote: »

That is simply phenomenal! I love mountain biking but I'd hardly walk with full safety gear in some of the places he's cycling! Unbelievable. And as for that flip! I wonder if he got that wrong many times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Jesus...I literally broke into a sweat watching that...still not the better of it.
    Mind blowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah seen it before. If any of you have tried mountain biking you'll know how difficult it is and even the little things he's doing in the video is astounding. His control on the pedals is unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Happy Christmas to y'all!

When tragic things happen around this time of year it makes you realise how much you take for granted. Stay safe for te holiday boyeens and..... girleens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Daughter got a new phone for Xmas. She's with Meteor.

She's trying to get 4G working but not having much success.

She has 4G coverage, the Meteor plan and Sim Card for a 4 G phone but cannot get phone to work for calls/messages. Doors she need to contact Meteor Support or should she be able to get it working without support.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Should just work. Is it a 4G phone?

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Should just work. Is it a 4G phone?

Yes, it's a 4G phone, must be Meteor network just overloaded today.

phog wrote: »
    Yes, it's a 4G phone, must be Meteor network just overloaded today.

Could be a dodgy sim. Sim swap should fix it. The meteor stores are open tomorrow for Stephens day.

Also did you buy the phone from meteor?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

A mate had a similar problem with a 3 sim. Had the sim replaced twice by the same shop and 4g was broken on both. Issue with sim was confirmed by trying the I'm in another 4g-capable phone. He went to a different 3 store and their sim worked fine.

.ak wrote: »
    Also did you buy the phone from meteor?

Yes both Sim and Phone purchased from Metoer.

phog wrote: »
    Yes both Sim and Phone purchased from Metoer.

Yeah I'd say it's the sim then.

• Advertisement

So I'll be spending the majority of the day in Geneva on my own tomorrow, any Geneva experts recommend anywhere worth going to kill some time?

So I'll be spending the majority of the day in Geneva on my own tomorrow, any Geneva experts recommend anywhere worth going to kill some time?

Somewhere else.

What kind of thing you looking for?

Geneva is quite quiet this time of year, I'd suggest just heading straight to the Old Town. The cathedral is impressive and there are a few nice museums (there is a good one just beside the cannon guns with a giant model of the old town that I think is quite cool). The old town is quite nice to stroll around in and is a good epicentre for all the museums anyway.

If you wanna have a drink in the old town and it's not too freezing then just sitting outside in Place du Bourg-de-Four in the old town is pleasant enough. Wouldn't be expecting any lively places for a drink though. If you wanna watch any sport I can direct you to the right place.

The lake is nice but not much you can do by it in winter! Will have a further think and get back to you

Hmmm. The epicentre of Swiss Calvanism during the apogee of the festive season. Risks being a barrel of laughs.

A nice winebar, with a hot fire, a decent book, and try out the local wine. Out of principle (and pain of being otherwise treated as a leper) I must recommend the Valais wines over those of Geneva or Vaud.

Otherwise...it is snowing heavily here, and you could always buy a cheap toboggan and recapture the halycon days of your youth...

Anyone know anything about TVs here?

Why is this 50 inch, Smart, 3D, Full HD LED TV only 400 GBP?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3592326.htm

Edit: feck, out of stock. :(

• Advertisement

Anyone know anything about TVs here?

Why is this 50 inch, Smart, 3D, Full HD LED TV only 400 GBP?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3592326.htm

Edit: feck, out of stock. :(

Richer Sounds forum is your best call Awec...under the "Talk to" forums.

Ridiculously cheap - they have a bricks and mortar store out the back of castlecourt.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Belfast,+UK/@54.601189,-5.9334628,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sevYSqdG6gE7-iNE71W47wA!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x4860fffdd7d08a3b:0x2e57162cefc7c531

Yeah the snow put the kybosh on my Geneva adventure plans, ended up being heavily delayed so I didn't have enough time to do anything!

I was quite excited to go see CERN, but it's closed :(

Ah well, I really appreciate the ideas! I ended up spending a few hours reading a book in the airport starbucks (Mansfield's history of the middle east in case anyone is interested

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

History of The Middle East......Yikes, that sounds like it should be a million pages long!

Yeah the snow put the kybosh on my Geneva adventure plans, ended up being heavily delayed so I didn't have enough time to do anything!

Ah well, I really appreciate the ideas! I ended up spending a few hours reading a book in the airport starbucks (Mansfield's history of the middle east in case anyone is interested

The book any good?

The sucky thing about being at home is the parent's rubbish internet. 4mbps download speed - crap. Want to buy the new Call of Duty, 43GB download would take about 24 hours ffs.

Would be done in less than an hour in my place. :(

The sucky thing about being at home is the parent's rubbish internet. 4mbps download speed - crap. Want to buy the new Call of Duty, 43GB download would take about 24 hours ffs.

My parents are moving from the middle of a town to literally the middle of nowhere on the side of a mountain next year. I guess it saves me from the drunk facebook posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Saw this on the twitter machine, thought thomond might like it, and can he tell me is John Hayes on the left or right ?

So we signed a contract today for a wedding venue. Hotel booked. Anything else to do now? :pac:

Zzippy wrote: »
    So we signed a contract today for a wedding venue. Hotel booked. Anything else to do now? :pac:

Figure out which of us is getting an invite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I have 40 mbps in my house and it still takes about 12 hours to download a game on my xbox. I started at 4.30 and I'm 9% in. :(

• Advertisement

I have a 1 gig connection, it'd probably be quicker for me to download it, stick it on a CD, and post it to you.

I remember downloading the demo for Age of Empires (the first one) on a 54 kbps dial-up connection. My dad let me do it as a christmas present (because the connection itself probably cost as much as just going out and buying it in a shop).

I have a 1 gig connection, it'd probably be quicker for me to download it, stick it on a CD, and post it to you.

I remember downloading the demo for Age of Empires (the first one) on a 54 kbps dial-up connection. My dad let me do it as a christmas present (because the connection itself probably cost as much as just going out and buying it in a shop).

1gb in your house or your work?

I could go buy it in a shop but I prefer not having discs.

1gb in your house or your work?

I could go buy it in a shop but I prefer not having discs.

In work it's considerably more, but I work in a datacenter so we need that capacity for other things most of the time! I obviously don't need anything like that at home (it's not even really beneficial to have a connection of that speed yet in the UK the vast majority of the time) but a friend runs the very small provider who I use.

The book any good?

Yeah it's quite good, it's a bit divisive: http://www.amazon.com/History-Middle-East-Peter-Mansfield/dp/0786173890

In work it's considerably more, but I work in a datacenter so we need that capacity for other things most of the time! I obviously don't need anything like that at home (it's not even really beneficial to have a connection of that speed yet in the UK the vast majority of the time) but a friend runs the very small provider who I use.

I have the UPC 120 mb connection and it does the job. Once you start going over that sort of speed you start getting limited by things other than the connection itself.

I also used to love Age of Empires, would built big huge fortresses. :D

Yep...leave everything else to herself. Seriously they revel in it. My missus would show me 3 or 4 different types of invite.
    "Which one do you like MF?"
    "This one here"...
    "yeah that one is rotten, we are getting this one"...
    "well why the fcuk did you ask me in the first place?"

Same for venue, church, suit colours, menu, wine etc...

Congratulations, i think!!

Double check the rugby calendar and the planned date :pac:

Yep...leave everything else to herself. Seriously they revel in it. My missus would show me 3 or 4 different types of invite.
    "Which one do you like MF?"
    "This one here"...
    "yeah that one is rotten, we are getting this one"...
    "well why the fcuk did you ask me in the first place?"

Same for venue, church, suit colours, menu, wine etc...

Congratulations, i think!!

Cheers. If only it was that simple. Modern marriage = split the jobs equally apparently... :(

Double check the rugby calendar and the planned date :pac:

First thing I did! All good. ;)

How many years have you been with your significant other Zzippy?

• Advertisement

You get delayed coming into Geneva!??

I work very near the airport and go to the BK beside the Starbucks there a frankly ludicrous amount. If I hadn't returned to the Irish wonderland we could have had a pint!

The LHC, as a science experiment, is closed for a year but obviously the visitor centre is closed for the festive season only. It's exactly 3.5km from my office so its good for a lunch run.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement