Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Zayden Small Tambourine, if you like Laphroaig, try Ardbeg, also very nice. I mean to try either the Laphroaig cask strength or quarter cask one of these days.

I've had them both and they're both delicious (assuming you like your whisky peaty!), but I wouldn't advise planning on drinking anything else afterwards as it would be somewhat pointless! They're definitely an end of night whisky.

My personal favourites

Lagavulin 16
    lag.jpg

Hibiki 17

Hibiki_17.jpg

Middleton Barry Crockett

s10316.jpg

I particularly recommend the Hibiki. The Japanese make cracking whisky.

Incidentally, Kavanagh's on Dorset St is also a great craft beer and food pub. Fantastic selection of whiskies as well - just make sure to go into the right Kavanagh's. There is a big one and a small one beside each other - its the smaller one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I've had them both and they're both delicious (assuming you like your whisky peaty!), but I wouldn't advise planning on drinking anything else afterwards as it would be somewhat pointless! They're definitely an end of night whisky.

My personal favourites

Lagavulin 16

Hibiki 17

I haven't got round to tasting the Lagavulin yet, usually because I can't justify the price! I totally agree that the Japanese make fantastic whisky, that celtic whisky shop in Dawson street stocks a reasonable selection, and the Japs keep winning international whisky awards. Not cheap again, though!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Well what are you basing your defense of zebo on?

When was the last time you saw Zebo beaten in an aerial battle?

Why didn't I think of that! Nice one, although I see your hobbies include creative writing. Smile on my dial, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Take a bow, that man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Incidentally, Kavanagh's on Dorset St is also a great craft beer and food pub. Fantastic selection of whiskies as well - just make sure to go into the right Kavanagh's. There is a big one and a small one beside each other - its the smaller one.

Yeah, good selection there all right. They usually have a display of new beers in the window so not too hard to miss.

Oh, that's so bad, I wouldn't be surprised if it receives a poor reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Wouldn't be much of a whiskey man myself. The wife swears be Jameson though. It's her drink of choice. But then she does mix it with Diet Coke! Would be more into the beers and ales. And I have to say I was surprised by some of the beers in Oz. I had heard so much about it being muck I had really low expectations, but I found a few nice ones down there. Admittedly not as many as I found bad ones, but still....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

irish_con8.jpg

Landed a bottle of this baby for the birthday. All SORTS of awesome!

molloyjh wrote: »
    Wouldn't be much of a whiskey man myself. The wife swears be Jameson though. It's her drink of choice. But then she does mix it with Diet Coke! Would be more into the beers and ales. And I have to say I was surprised by some of the beers in Oz. I had heard so much about it being muck I had really low expectations, but I found a few nice ones down there. Admittedly not as many as I found bad ones, but still....

The regular Australian lagers are muck. But their craft beers are nice, I quite like the Little Creatures pale ale.

dregin wrote: »
    irish_con8.jpg

Landed a bottle of this baby for the birthday. All SORTS of awesome!

52%. Bejaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

.ak wrote: »
    52%. Bejaysus.

58.2%

Ah. I've obviously gone whiskey blind.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

P_1 wrote: »
    Now now, that's a bit rich coming from the man who drinks Harp :P

Nectar of the gods.

Tread carefully! :pac:

• Advertisement

The regular Australian lagers are muck. But their craft beers are nice, I quite like the Little Creatures pale ale.

Yeah the Lashes stuff went down very well too.

James-Squire-One-Fifty-Lashes-314x160.jpg

.ak wrote: »
    Ah. I've obviously gone whiskey blind.

Too much poitin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

On the subject of aerial battles...

Saw that earlier. Very impressive. Reminded me of Larkham scoring an unbelievable try early in his career claiming a ball over Howlett.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Rog/Shaggy try was better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Sad to hear that Colm Murray passed away today. By all accounts a gentleman and a horrific way to have to go

On the subject of aerial battles...

Had to laugh at the guy in the background about 21s in trying to get the refs attention. Did he really think the ref would do anything but ignore him!? Great finish though.
    Sad to hear that Colm Murray passed away today. By all accounts a gentleman and a horrific way to have to go

Very sad. As someone who grew up with only the 2 RTE stations he was probably the face of sport for me (and many others no doubt). Not a nice way to go, but he faced it with real dignity and strength.

As we all know, each and every passing in Ireland is quite commemorated, even a hardened criminal killed in the act of robbing a bank will be described "as providing for his family", and it seems everyone is a loyal and well-respected member of their local GAA club.

But in this situation, from the little I know of him, Colm Murray seemed a genuinely nice person, and an excellent journalist, and as stated MND is a very unfortunate diagnosis, so my thoughts do go out to his friends & family on his untimely passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

As we all know, each and every passing in Ireland is quite commemorated, even a hardened criminal killed in the act of robbing a bank will be described "as providing for his family", and it seems everyone is a loyal and well-respected member of their local GAA club.

Is this not a common thing all over the world? I thought it was!

Teferi wrote: »
    Is this not a common thing all over the world? I thought it was!

Nah, death & dying is much bigger in Ireland than NZ. It's quite a cultural difference I've noted. The whole wake, removal etc. And every time you go into hospital, you're asked your religion. I think it all ties together. It's not a bad thing, I actually think it's right and proper, I only get a bit bemused at post-death comments that are sometimes attributed to hardened criminals, when I imagine most people are actually thinking the world is a better place.

Teferi wrote: »
    Wouldn't really be a man for the whiskeys but I do have quite the taste for any of the Islay whiskys. I'm more of a beer man, mad for a good IPA. I was in California there a few weeks back and was delighted, the micro-brewery trade is huge in the States now and they have loads of locally made craft beer. Delicious.

What about that time you stumbled around Edinburgh on your own after getting the Whiskey Tour at mid-day and going for the 5 drink instead of 2 drink option?

You were mad for the shtuff then.

Nah, death & dying is much bigger in Ireland than NZ. It's quite a cultural difference I've noted. The whole wake, removal etc. And every time you go into hospital, you're asked your religion. I think it all ties together. It's not a bad thing, I actually think it's right and proper, I only get a bit bemused at post-death comments that are sometimes attributed to hardened criminals, when I imagine most people are actually thinking the world is a better place.

Sminky does a good send up of a typical Irish response to a death:

What about that time you stumbled around Edinburgh on your own after getting the Whiskey Tour at mid-day and going for the 5 drink instead of 2 drink option?

You were mad for the shtuff then.

5 drink whisky tour?

At Whisky Live a couple years ago I notched 22 different whiskies...

(my tasting notes get progressively less detailed and more....drunky).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

POM was captain of Ireland during the summer and has recently made captaincy of Munster so the big question on everyones lips.... Who would win in a fight: Heaslip and POM?

I think Heaslip might have an edge if he used his headphones as a lasso/whip but POM has way more passion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Pat Kenny signs for Newstalk

Sh1t has just got real, folks

• Advertisement

Poor old Tom Dunne. I wonder where he'll fit into the mix although they might reshuffle proceedings now with the lunchtime news show. Breakfast, Pat Kenny and the lunchtime news show is a fairly heavy line up.

Good acquisition by Newstalk and will hurt RTE.

Now if they could just fail to agree on Turbidy's new contract...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Pat Kenny signs for Newstalk

Sh1t has just got real, folks

Wow, I wonder how they can afford that...

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Wow, I wonder how they can afford that...

Denis O'Brien is worth a few billion so I wouldn't have thought it would be too tough for them to drum up the cash if they really wanted to poach the most established RTE presenter.

5 drink whisky tour?

At Whisky Live a couple years ago I notched 22 different whiskies...

(my tasting notes get progressively less detailed and more....drunky).

You doing anything for Swiss National Day Podge? I'm not a big fan of their cherry brandy (Kirsch), but they do some decent craft beers & wines.

You doing anything for Swiss National Day Podge? I'm not a big fan of their cherry brandy (Kirsch), but they do some decent craft beers & wines.

Working unfortunately :(

I don't even know what goes on in Switzerland on National Day - is the country not boring for a day!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Buer wrote: »
    Poor old Tom Dunne. I wonder where he'll fit into the mix although they might reshuffle proceedings now with the lunchtime news show. Breakfast, Pat Kenny and the lunchtime news show is a fairly heavy line up.

Good acquisition by Newstalk and will hurt RTE.

Hope he goes back and does a Music show , it used to be great.

Looks lads, Joe's still there. We'll be ok... we'll be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

dregin wrote: »
    Looks lads, Joe's still there. We'll be ok... we'll be ok.

Joe would be a better rugby presenter than McGurk. Make it happen Ryle!

• Advertisement

Working unfortunately :(

I don't even know what goes on in Switzerland on National Day - is the country not boring for a day!?

There's fireworks, I know that much. But something cool MUST happen on Lake Geneva, no? Hopefully there's at least a pause at work and a bit of conviviality over a slice of Apfeltorte!

Bull and Castle. Has loads of craft beers both bottled and on tap. It's part of the FXB butcher/restaurant chain so is well regarded for their food. Haven't actually eaten in it but if it's like the other FXB establishments, it won't let you down.

Nice call. Went there tonight, and it was decent enough alright. Good choice of worldy thirst-quenchers, and the steak was good. Cheers!

A boggle tournament over a lukewarm cup of cocoa while listening to the smooth stylings of Mr. James Taylor, I suspect.

I actually like Switzerland. Regardless of how clinical and dull it is, it's a beautiful country (except when you get the bill).

A boggle tournament over a lukewarm cup of cocoa while listening to the smooth stylings of Mr. James Taylor, I suspect.

I actually like Switzerland. Regardless of how clinical and dull it is, it's a beautiful country (except when you get the bill).

Ja, it's mega-expensive. I don't think you can colour Geneva with the Zurich brush though. I'll be interested to hear how wee Podge gets on over the coming months!

Been in the Bull & Castle for a few rugby matches. Can't beat a match, steak sandwich and pints combo!

Speaking of food and beer, this should be good: http://www.irishcraftbeerfestival.com/

Not been to it before, but I've always heard good reports of the one in the RDS, unlike the disaster down at the IFSC >_<

It was great last year. It happened to be on before one of the games in the rds and the sun was belting down. Great day

• Advertisement

There's fireworks, I know that much. But something cool MUST happen on Lake Geneva, no? Hopefully there's at least a pause at work and a bit of conviviality over a slice of Apfeltorte!

I don't even know what apfeltorte is! Work is likely to be quiet - most of the office is off tomorrow and Friday. Apparently I'm indispensible :P Might try and catch some festivities in the evening.

Geneva is, unfortunately, as expensive as Zurich. Its the private banking capital of Switzerland!! I must admit its quite nice to be able to sit by the lake in the evening with a beer. You could even see Mont Blanc from the office today.

Alas, anything happening on the lake is likely to be out of my price range!

Not gonna lie - that sounds awesome.

Regardless of the continuous complaints I'm likely to make about how boring and expensive it is here, it truly is a beautiful country. I can go cycling into small French villages on the lake in the evening (you know, if I'm not feeling lazy) and come winter you can go skiiing and the whole time you're surrounded by mountains and lakes.

Edit: In hindsight, apfeltorte is probably appletart. I'm in French Switzerland mate :P

Edit: In hindsight, apfeltorte is probably appletart. I'm in French Switzerland mate :P

Tarte aux pommes, alors!

You need to use your Irish charm to win over some rich banker's daughter...then you can live the high life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

WOOOHOOOOOOOO BANK HOLIDAY WEEKEND!!!!!!

WOOOHOOOOOOOO BANK HOLIDAY WEEKEND!!!!!!

Is it clock out time yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Joe Brolly needs to be converted into a rugby pundit.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement