Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He's gas. I'm not a huge GAA follower so I don't know if he's right or just on the wind up but he does seem to like to make a joke or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Jack McCaffrey was a decent winger for Belvo, serious speed on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Hype710 wrote: »
    Jack McCaffrey was a decent winger for Belvo, serious speed on him.

Serious boot on him as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Anyone know what's the best spot to head before the Limerick Clare semi in Dublin??

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anyone know what's the best spot to head before the Limerick Clare semi in Dublin??

Yes good question, going to that game myself. Come on the banner :D

awec wrote: »
    Yes good question, going to that game myself. Come on the banner :D

It will be a belter of a match anyway, got my Hill ticket booked! I am afraid your boys will be severely outnumbered though! There hasn't been a buzz about a game of hurling in the county like this for a long time!

It will be a belter of a match anyway, got my Hill ticket booked! I am afraid your boys will be severely outnumbered though! There hasn't been a buzz about a game of hurling in the county like this for a long time!

We're on the hill too.

I'm not from Clare like, my girlfriend is. I'll stick out like a sore thumb amongst all these western types. ;)

We're on the hill too.

I'm not from Clare like, my girlfriend is. I'll stick out like a sore thumb amongst all these western types. ;)

It is a far cry from the sophisticated banter you ladyboys are used to :P Surely a jackeen like yourself would know some good spots for beforehand? Preferably really close the the stadium as I want to catch the minor game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

We're on the hill too.

Drinking Harp, yes you will!

It is a far cry from the sophisticated banter you ladyboys are used to :P Surely a jackeen like yourself would know some good spots for beforehand? Preferably really close the the stadium as I want to catch the minor game?

Did you just insinuate that I am a dub? :mad:

I'm a nordy. I just live here! :P

Don't really know any bars on the northside unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Anywhere on the Drumcondra Road will be wedged. Quinns is the traditional pre-match boozer but will take an age to get a pint. It might be alright if you're going in early enough for the minor game though. There are pubs dotted all around the stadium in any direction.

For a brief moment there, you lived the dream.

I'm a nordy. I just live here! :P

Don't really know any bars on the northside unfortunately.

A nordy at a hurling match? In August!! I have heard it all now!
    Well, I have friends from Kerry heading up so you won't be too lost!
    Surely someone on this hallowed thread know some good watering holes.

A nordy at a hurling match? In August!! I have heard it all now!
    Well, I have friends from Kerry heading up so you won't be too lost!
    Surely someone on this hallowed thread know some good watering holes.

Doubt they can understand each other though! Those accents are chalk & cheese - it's like Kiwi & Aussie, completely different :pac:

Every time I think of the Kerry accent...a Royale with cheeeeese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Marrs (I think that's what it's called) on Fairview Strand is usually a good spot to hit before a match in Croker. It has a fairly large beer garden to the back and getting a pint isn't usually like hitching a lift on the last helicopter from Saigon

Meaghers in Fairview, good shout. It'll be very busy too but is normally populated by Dubs so I'd expect it to be quieter than all the spots on Drumcondra Road which is like a beacon to day trippers up for the match.

I optimistically hope that Cavan batter Kerry here.

Buer wrote: »
    Meaghers in Fairview, good shout. It'll be very busy too but is normally populated by Dubs so I'd expect it to be quieter than all the spots on Drumcondra Road which is like a beacon to day trippers up for the match.

I optimistically hope that Cavan batter Kerry here.

Meaghers, yeah that's the name of the place. Yeah the Ballybough side of Croker is generally handier than the Drumcondra side. Only potential downside is the walk up Summerhill but its generally grand when there's matches on

Doubt they can understand each other though! Those accents are chalk & cheese - it's like Kiwi & Aussie, completely different :pac:

I was more referring to the lack off hurling knowledge and/or background!

• Advertisement

You could write all I know about GAA sports on the back of a stamp tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

P_1 wrote: »
    Meaghers, yeah that's the name of the place. Yeah the Ballybough side of Croker is generally handier than the Drumcondra side. Only potential downside is the walk up Summerhill but its generally grand when there's matches on

You're not going to be walking through Summerhill coming from Fairview. :confused:

This is a massacre. Shame really but such a gulf between the sides. Ominous for the Dubs. With that said, Kerry won't have played a side as strong as Dublin this year who have had a couple of good work outs in recent weeks. Kerry squeaked past Cork in their home ground earlier in the championship. Dublin should hopefully have too much pace for them.

The dream Mayo/Dublin final could yet take place.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    You're not going to be walking through Summerhill coming from Fairview. :confused:

True but you would be coming from the City Center

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

P_1 wrote: »

Just don't walk, run.

Yeah, I know! Even I have lived here long enough to know to know my hurling strongholds, and that Kerry and the Northern counties don't form part of that group :pac:

• Advertisement

Amazing first half from Mayo. Aidan O'Shea is simply phenomenal in the air. He could have made a serious lock or blindside if he was from a different county.

The dream/nightmare final of Dublin vs Mayo looking like a possibility.

Had to laugh at the BBC commentator. "How are Donegal so.......PATHETIC?!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm half Mayo so this is great to watch! :pac:

I posted it before but Connacht really need to offer Aidan O'Shea some kind of development contract. Not that I want Mayo GAA to suffer mind!

As am I. Marrying a Mayo girl 6 weeks after the All Ireland final. Her family are lunatic fans. If Mayo lose an All Ireland final to Dublin, I'm out of the family.

This game is dead at half time. Donegal fans were walking out of the stadium after 30 minutes.

As am I. Marrying a Mayo girl 6 weeks after the All Ireland final. Her family are lunatic fans. If Mayo lose an All Ireland final to Dublin, I'm out of the family.

This game is dead at half time. Donegal fans were walking out of the stadium after 30 minutes.

Some football from Mayo, hopefully they don't do a Kerry and shut up shop in the 2nd half

Doesn't look like it!

I just hope this isn't the standard amazing Mayo performance and they lose to Tyrone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Peter Capaldi is the new Doctor. Cracking casting I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Teferi wrote: »
    Peter Capaldi is the new Doctor. Cracking casting I reckon!

Yeah, he'll be great and it will be nice to have a more serious doctor.I wouldn't have minded Idris Elba getting the role, but he's probably a bit 'too famous'.

I know there are a few NFL fans here - any interest in a fantasy league? We'd need 8 players so may not be a runner but thought I'd float the idea.

I'm up for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I'm in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Me three

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Sign me up lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I'll give it a go. I play the AF forum one too but I imagine this one will have more active posters.

Awesome, I'll set it up and send out invites.
    I'll give it a go. I play the AF forum one too but I imagine this one will have more active posters.

Indeed. I don't mind if it goes up to 10 or 12 players, but I'm afraid I'm gonna be a dickhead about it and limit it to posters I recognise from posting on the rugby forum.

What'll we be doing it on?

And can we organise draft order by post count?! :p

• Advertisement

What'll we be doing it on?

And can we organise draft order by post count?! :p

The NFL.com fantasy one is the one I'm used to using although I'm open to other options.

And (*checks postcount*) no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

NFL one is tremendous. Very user friendly.

"You can uncover your eyes, they're not Australians, they're New Zealanders" :pac:

Cheers Podge, all joined up

Faletau stays local...

quote from here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/23571780
    Wales and Lions number eight Toby Faletau signs a two-year contract extension at the Newport-Gwent Dragons.

Clubs in England and France had been interested in signing Faletau, but unlike a large number of his international team-mates, he has decided to stay in Wales.

The off topic thread is taking over the forum!

Always reckoned Faletau would stay. As Lyn Jones said, he's a very quiet, shy bloke. I couldn't see him upping sticks and moving to France especially at a young age. Massive year ahead for Wales in their contract dealings. Halfpenny, Faletau, AWJ, Ian Evans, Warburton and Adam Jones all come to the end of their current deals next summer.

WRU are doing the right thing and getting in there early. They've opened negotiations with all these guys a year in advance before the French sides start to get up a head of steam with their approaches. Underlines how utterly counter productive it is to refuse to open talks in Ireland until February.

couldn't find a RaboPro12 13/14 season thread to stick it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

create a new one.

this is a non rugby thread folks.

Faletau signing is not off topic

Get back off topic you swine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm half Mayo so this is great to watch! :pac:

I posted it before but Connacht really need to offer Aidan O'Shea some kind of development contract. Not that I want Mayo GAA to suffer mind!

Me too. My mother is from Mayo. If it is a Dublin/Mayo final it should make it interesting. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement