Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

.ak wrote: »
    Me too. My mother is from Mayo. If it is a Dublin/Mayo final it should make it interesting. :)

Likewise, my Dad is from Castlebar. A Dubs/Mayo final would make for some very interesting times :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

awec wrote: »
    Did you just insinuate that I am a dub? :mad:

I'm a nordy. I just live here! :P

Don't really know any bars on the northside unfortunately.

W.J. Kavanagh's on Dorset street is good for a pint before matches.

All craft beer, so no guinness, means it's not as jam-packed as other places around.

http://publin.ie/2012/w-j-kavanaghs/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

This forum seems to have descended into a Dublin-Mayo love-in. Anyone who's anyone seems to have some tenuous claim to Mayo heritage. Mine is Kerry, Galway, Tyrone and Dublin...but no Mayo :mad:

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This forum seems to have descended into a Dublin-Mayo love-in. Anyone who's anyone seems to have some tenuous claim to Mayo heritage. Mine is Kerry, Galway, Tyrone and Dublin...but no Mayo :mad:

That's quite the recipe of heritage you have there. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I went to Tyrone once.

Once.

Commiserations.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    That's quite the recipe of heritage you have there. :pac:

It's all at the great-grandparent level and back, but Moriarty from Kerry, Daly from Tyrone, and McDonnell from Dublin are the main ones, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Reminder for anyone who missed it, we're looking for people to do some NFL fantasy football, ask Podge and he'll shoot you the invite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'm was up for it but I've never done fantasy NFL before. Took one look at it and it confused the heck out of me :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Do you need to be very in tune with NFL to do it? I've a passing interest, but wouldn't know much about the players etc

Sure I'll give it a blast, I'm generally not too good with fantasy sport teams though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Do you need to be very in tune with NFL to do it? I've a passing interest, but wouldn't know much about the players etc

There are tons of fantasy writers who rank the players if you don't know much about them. Might take the fun out of it though if you're going on advice all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Hagz wrote: »
    I'm was up for it but I've never done fantasy NFL before. Took one look at it and it confused the heck out of me :o

It's not too tough. The website should give you a bit of a guide.

Basics:
    A league draft is held, in this case it will be online and we'll pick a time suitable for the maximum number of people. It's a small league so the draft shouldn't be too much longer than one hour. A typical format is 'snake'. This means that, for instance, in our 8 team league, if you pick 1st in the first round, you will pick 8th in the second round, and vice-versa. Each league has a separate number of roster spots, typically something like 1 quarterback, 2 running backs, 3 wide receivers, 1 tight end, one kicker, one defense and 6 players on the bench of any kind. The draft goes on until every team has filled up their roster. Once the draft is done it's plain sailing.

Up before 7am for the last time in at least a year (hopefully). Starting the full time yuppie job soon

Then it's all half 9 starts and hour long lunches

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's really not that bad!

The premise is pretty simply. You pick a squad of 15 players (you take turns, so each player is only available to one team) and from that you start 1 QB, 2 running backs, 2 wide receivers, 1 tight end, 1 flex (either a RB, WR or TE), 1 kicker and 1 team defence.

You essentially get one point for every ten yards the player makes and 6 points for a TD (QBs are 1 point for every 25 yards thrown and 4 points for a TD pass). Kicker gets 1 point for point after touchdown and 3-5 points for field goal depending where it is kicked from. Defence starts on 10 points and loses points as it concedes but can get points for interceptions etc.

You don't need to know all the ins and outs of the NFL and who is who to play. While drafting the players will be in order of how well they are projected to do the coming year so after a while if its getting to more obscure players you can just go with the list. Its actually a great way to get to know the game better - I was a very casual fan before last season but really got into it partly thanks to the fantasy. Makes every game fun to watch cause you have an investment in certain players!

The site can be a bit confusing at first, but you can ignore a lot of it. There is an absolute crapload of stats available if you want to go down that route though.

Ill have to finish reading The Signal And The Noise before this draft and this seasons rugby betting

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bunch of frittatas

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Harsh!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Thekidneybean

Any fantasy pro 12 or heiniken cup leagues? :)

Any fantasy pro 12 or heiniken cup leagues? :)

There was one a few years back for predicting winners and winning margins I recall. I think most of us have moved onto handicap betting though :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Superbru do a predictor league, might be worth doing If we had interest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Superbru do a predictor league, might be worth doing If we had interest
    there is a league every season. always done. on the superbru site you can pre register for the pro 12/Aviva/top 14 and you then get a text when league starts
    Il prob set up a boards league when the pro12 opens up

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I know there are a few NFL fans here - any interest in a fantasy league? We'd need 8 players so may not be a runner but thought I'd float the idea.

Bumpity bump.

Need two more to round it out.

Bumpity bump.

Need two more to round it out.

I'm looking at you Ugo.... :P

(Mods you can remove if needed, but I think it's OK)

Ouch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Ouch!

:D double wrap it. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ouch!

Pretty much my life right there.

I'm in Rome at present on holidays.....you all think that sounds great...the colleseum, the pantheon, Spanish steps, Trevi fountain, beautiful girls, ice cold beers etc....No...3 young ones having a colouring competition in the apartment because it's too warm outside and they don't like walking.

FML...

I'm looking at you Ugo.... :P

Will give it a lash now Podge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

mfceiling wrote: »
    Pretty much my life right there.

I'm in Rome at present on holidays.....you all think that sounds great...the colleseum, the pantheon, Spanish steps, Trevi fountain, beautiful girls, ice cold beers etc....No...3 young ones having a colouring competition in the apartment because it's too warm outside and they don't like walking.

FML...

Who's winning? 10 units on the youngest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

.ak wrote: »
    Who's winning? 10 units on the youngest!

She's the biggest pain in the arse!! Heat plus small kids = whining gits!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Thread poll updated

mfceiling wrote: »
    She's the biggest pain in the arse!! Heat plus small kids = whining gits!!

It's not much better with plenty of adults!

Was at a set of pedestrian lights yesterday, waiting for green, when a middle aged woman turned to her friend and pronounced that she "Can't wait for the summer to be over and have some normal weather again". It was about 21C and perfect for a stroll.

I think it's something in our social conditioning in Ireland. Grass is always greener.

With all that said, I found Rome pretty oppressive in terms of heat when I was there at this time of year (but all the tourist attractions there are the coolest, most comfortable places!). Cities in Mediterranean countries can be intensely hot in mid-summer. I was in Seville in 2011 in a hot spell and the city (which has a population of 1.5 million in the greater area) goes almost entirely into shut down between 1pm and 4pm due to the heat. It was like wandering around a ghost town.

Buer wrote: »
    It's not much better with plenty of adults!

Was at a set of pedestrian lights yesterday, waiting for green, when a middle aged woman turned to her friend and pronounced that she "Can't wait for the summer to be over and have some normal weather again". It was about 21C and perfect for a stroll.

I think it's something in our social conditioning in Ireland. Grass is always greener.

With all that said, I found Rome pretty oppressive in terms of heat when I was there at this time of year (but all the tourist attractions there are the coolest, most comfortable places!). Cities in Mediterranean countries can be intensely hot in mid-summer. I was in Seville in 2011 in a hot spell and the city (which has a population of 1.5 million in the greater area) goes almost entirely into shut down between 1pm and 4pm due to the heat. It was like wandering around a ghost town.

Buer, Ireland works best between 5 and 15 degrees, it's a fact. I remember an acquaintance was off to France for the summer holidays, but was driving north to Brittany "to escape the heat". This is definitely the best summer since I've lived in Ireland (one could say it's the only summer since I've lived here...), and as long as it's below 30 degrees, I think it's just fine.

I survived the cold chill in Galway, 2 or 3 years back. Water froze in the whole house (so no shower, toilet, water for cooking, or heating), so a little bit of heat is just fine.

Too hot for me this summer, and I can say that because I never pray for a hot summer. I love Irish weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Buer, Ireland works best between 5 and 15 degrees, it's a fact. I remember an acquaintance was off to France for the summer holidays, but was driving north to Brittany "to escape the heat". This is definitely the best summer since I've lived in Ireland (one could say it's the only summer since I've lived here...), and as long as it's below 30 degrees, I think it's just fine.

I survived the cold chill in Galway, 2 or 3 years back. Water froze in the whole house (so no shower, toilet, water for cooking, or heating), so a little bit of heat is just fine.

The problem is it has been fairly humid during the heat wave which makes it harder to cope with. That said I thought the weather the last few weeks has been superb. Loads of opportunities for Bulmers and BBQs!

Nothing wrong with a bit of heat but a dry heat is much preferable to a muggy humid one.

• Advertisement

Humidity is a nightmare but the actual heat has been fine this summer. It has generally been about 26 or 27C on the hotter days and about 22C recently. Perfect for me. If it's warm enough (16-20C) in the evenings to go out for a stroll in shorts and tshirt, then it's fine by me.

Anything over 30C and it's uncomfortable. Anything under -3 or so and it's too cold for me. Something actually quite enjoyable about the briskness of a freezing day in Dublin.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The weather here was great this summer, I wish we had that for the 3 solid months of summer every year.

Ireland really hasn't got proper seasons at all, we have a total mishmash of weather. You can get wet, wintery days in summer and pretty good days in winter.

I would much prefer proper seasons, of 20 degree + heat for 3 months in summer and ~ 0 degree stuff for 3 months in winter.

I lived in Barcelona for half a year, and I like the heat. But I remember when I was over there craving a wet wintry night in Tipperary with the fire roaring.....

Then I came back to Ireland, spent most of my last year in college freezing my balls in of in a house without heating in Limerick, so ya, it's not that nice when it's cold

Well, if I might put in a plug for hot but dry (non-humid) weather, the Hawke's Bay region in NZ is superb. We lived there for 18 months, and with great weather, fresh fruit on tap, vineyards as far as the eye can see, and a nice selection of pubs, bars, cafes and restaurants, it is fantastic living. Not a huge population in that area though, so for international concerts etc, you have to drive a few hours to Wellington or Auckland.

Edit: in addition, the Magpies team rugby team is great fun to support in the ITM cup, and the stadium reminds me of the Galway sports ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

37 degrees where I am today. I nearly melted

• Advertisement

I know there are a few NFL fans here - any interest in a fantasy league? We'd need 8 players so may not be a runner but thought I'd float the idea.

Alright ladies, just need one more player and I can stop bugging you all about it.

Cmon...

If you join I'll use my supreme overlord powers to make sure you win your match against ibf.

done

done

I thought you joined earlier.

I'm now thoroughly confused as to who the 8th person is.

Ah well, **** it. I'll throw a link to a Doodle to decide draft date on the league page.

Let's do this!

Ah well, **** it. I'll throw a link to a Doodle to decide draft date on the league page.

Let's do this!

lets go for it:

I%20have%20no%20idea.jpg

Me?

Well I'm Ugo Warriers, thought that might clear up confusion

Me?

I forgot to count myself :o

I forgot to count myself :o

Schoolboy error :P

• Advertisement