Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How do you legally get the ball off someone in Gaelic? Can you tackle in some way?

:D

Tackling is one of the biggest problems with gaelic football.

If you figure it out, let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

How do you legally get the ball off someone in Gaelic? Can you tackle in some way?

You can slap the ball out of their hands. Not supposed to be able to grapple the ball off somebody. The most effective way is to 'contend' for the ball by going shoulder to shoulder and when they bounce the ball you can push them off the ball.

It's a bit of a messy sport from a spectators point if view tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

.ak wrote: »
    You can slap the ball out of their hands. Not supposed to be able to grapple the ball off somebody. The most effective way is to 'contend' for the ball by going shoulder to shoulder and when they bounce the ball you can push them off the ball.

It's a bit of a messy sport from a spectators point if view tho!

Prefer hurling myself TBH. I was useless at hockey, though, so I reckon if I did take up GAA, it would be football. I always had a good punt on me.

I find the football too slow or something. I think it's cause the pitch is huge.

It's a load of big loopy hoofs of the ball for people to run on to.

Doesn't look very slick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Dublin-Kerry, bravo! Brilliant afternoon entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Now the final is going to make for interesting viewing. To watch it with the father or not is the question...

I defo prefer hurling. It's something you'd imagine being in a scifi film. If the game ever went pro it'd go global, no doubt, so easy to market.

Having said that, a good game of football can be great. That game was immense, some lovely football from the dubs in the last quarter.

P_1 wrote: »
    Now the final is going to make for interesting viewing. To watch it with the father or not is the question...

Yeah think I'm going to the final with the mother, who's a mayo woman..,

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah think I'm going to the final with the mother, who's a mayo woman..,

Might have to join the scramble to get my Dad a ticket for it. It's strange, as much as I would like for Dublin to win it I'd almost prefer Mayo to win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Tickets are going to be a nightmare to get a hold of for the final. The old lad looking for a ticket, the missus looking for a ticket and a couple of bolder clients have asked for tickets too. The most common of Irish sporting creatures (Eventus Junkius Maximus) will be clearly visible over the course of the next 3 weeks.

I want tickets. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »
    Chelsea bate tonight, wish I'd stayed in Kiely's to see the reaction of yer man at the bar. :D

He near enough lept over the bar at the TV. It was hilarious. Please God let me never be stuck beside him at a match....

Just back in the door from the GAA. Christ that was some game. Reminded me of Bordeaux coming into the last few mins. Still not sure where those 2 goals came from!

I watched Arsenal Spurs, wish I'd watched the GAA instead ffs.

Anyone know if HMV has re-opened in Dundrum yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Transfer Deadline day lads!

Its like Christmas day, only better.

• Advertisement

Liverpool been busy already today - still hoping for a big signing later today.

Not convinced Suarez will stay.

Twitter is 90% sure Oezil has gone to Arsenal for 50m euro's....would be a huge signing.

Suarez will stay ,Liverpool got in 3 players earlier including Moses on loan from Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Anyone know if HMV has re-opened in Dundrum yet?

Not yet. I think they open next week.

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Twitter is 90% sure Oezil has gone to Arsenal for 50m euro's....would be a huge signing.

Suarez will stay ,Liverpool got in 3 players earlier including Moses on loan from Chelsea.
    Madrid could still open that big fat endless cheque book they have though.

100million euros for Gareth Bale. Ha! :pac:

That's insane. I feel ill.

• Advertisement

Arsenal don't need Ozil as much as other positions.

They need a goalkeeper, two full backs and at least one centre half urgently.

Newstalk reported earlier that he's stalling and doesn't want to go to Arsenal. He doesn't want to warm the bench in a WC year but I think he's holding out to see if anyone else comes in before signing.

Madrid could still open that big fat endless cheque book they have though.

100million euros for Gareth Bale. Ha! :pac:

Well i hope they do, because if they sign Suarez then that means that Arsenal could be in for Benzema!

But ye, it ain't gonna happen. As an Arsenal fan this feeling of optimism on TDD is strange and unsettling.

Ozil would make more sense to go to Manchester United who are actually in more need of a player in his position.

Arsenal don't need Ozil as much as other positions.

They need a goalkeeper, two full backs and at least one centre half urgently.

They could do with a good centre half alright but Szczesny has done quite well after the Villa match. Since the opening day, they've won 4 in a row and kept 3 clean sheets. Perhaps he has turned the corner.

A top quality holding midfielder would really be a coup for them. They've really lacked someone since Gilberto who can mop up and take pressure off the defence. Not sure Flamini has the quality anymore.

Why did Madrid let Kaka go on a free transfer? Surely he would still be worth a couple of million?

Why did Madrid let Kaka go on a free transfer? Surely he would still be worth a couple of million?

Cause it's Madrid. :)

Kaka isn't what he was either.

Buer wrote: »
    Newstalk reported earlier that he's stalling and doesn't want to go to Arsenal. He doesn't want to warm the bench in a WC year but I think he's holding out to see if anyone else comes in before signing.

Journo John Cross who is basically the resident Arsenal scribe for the mirror claims its a done deal.

Arsenal need a striker and centre half cover more than anything. But a player of Ozil's class would improve any team

Journo John Cross who is basically the resident Arsenal scribe for the mirror claims its a done deal.

Arsenal need a striker and centre half cover more than anything. But a player of Ozil's class would improve any team

Rumours of approaching Ba and also the Emiliano Viviano on loan as goalkeeper cover. Not a bad signing.

In relation to striker, I've been speaking with the brother and a few friends who are all Arsenal season ticket holders and they reckoned a few weeks ago that Giroud is going to explode this season and be a 20 PL goals a season striker. Need someone there to provide depth and options but he has started very well.

Rumours of approaching Ba and also the Emiliano Viviano on loan as goalkeeper cover. Not a bad signing.

In relation to striker, I've been speaking with the brother and a few friends who are all Arsenal season ticket holders and they reckoned a few weeks ago that Giroud is going to explode this season and be a 20 PL goals a season striker. Need someone there to provide depth and options but he has started very well.

Giroud still hasn't convinced me. I think he will score goals, due to the creativity in behind him, but in the big games when things are tight and a bit of magic is needed I don't think he has it in him. Granted that's asking an awful lot, but every top team has that special striker.

Ye 'ive heard of Ba too, also Hernandez the uruguyan striker. Would prefer Hernandez to be honest, higher potential. Ba has looked very average since he joined chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I really don't recommend catching an 0650 flight to get to work.

I don't think I'll ever any kind of international businessman - I like my sleep too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Fabio Borini and Andrea Dossena? :mad:

fcuking hell..... the last time we signed Liverpool rejects it ended badly. And if Sessegnon is allowed go to West Brom... :(

Need a midfielder so badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I really don't recommend catching an 0650 flight to get to work.

I don't think I'll ever any kind of international businessman - I like my sleep too much.

I normally just sleep on the flight? Although those are London/Dublin hops. And it is pretty tiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Used to do those flights all the time! Not fun. Dublin/Belfast to London/Liverpool/Manchester/Edinburgh

now it is early bloody trains...If only i could get people to stop trying to talk to me en route. I don't care about your grand children/the H&S course you are attending/the **** product you are being forced to flog.

I have a physio appointment at 06:45 tomorrow morning... Atleast you can sit down and grab a few zzz on a plane, where as I have to go and let some intercounty footballer try and pin-point the pain by trying to insert his thumb into my knee joint until it nearly pops off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I really can't sleep on planes - I'd actually find a train preferable in that respect. Annoyingly I had a suitcase to check in so I had to be at the airport at 0520. I know plenty of people do them far more regularly than me - I don't know how. I'm already several cups of tea and a red bull in.

I immediately have my earphones in and music playing on any public transport. If anyone tries talking to me they're getting nothing more than a grunt!

Herrera to United looks on....

Would be a decent singing

Don't know much about him at all. Reports seem quite positive. But is forking out €36m for a guy who hasn't even been capped not pretty excessive. I know the Spanish midfield is ridiculous quality but normally it's the international cap that pushes a player's value into that bracket. Are united going to meet the release clause fee just to make sure they get a signing?

Don't know much about him at all. Reports seem quite positive. But is forking out €36m for a guy who hasn't even been capped not pretty excessive. I know the Spanish midfield is ridiculous quality but normally it's the international cap that pushes a player's value into that bracket. Are united going to meet the release clause fee just to make sure they get a signing?

I think Moyes is that desperate to make a signing that he will go over the market price.

36m seems alot to me aswell.

Fellani would be a poor signing IMO

• Advertisement

Better than Cleverley... at this stage, they've reached desperation levels and they can afford to hold out for the full price.

Fellaini is a good player, would improve them imo.

Ozil will be a great signing for Arsenal. Sakho will be a very good signing for Liverpool too. And Sessegnon will be a brilliant signing for West Brom if that happens :(:(:(

Quiet deadline day it seems for Spurs, suppose it was to be expected given all the business that has already been done.

Ironically when they signed Capoue the first I heard of it on the radio was the phrase 'signed the French winger from Toulouse'. I thought Medard was off somewhere :P

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Bought the new Nexus 7 from PC World last week. A vast step up from the old one - slimmer so ya can hold is easily in one hand, twice the RAM, amazing screen and Android 4.3 seems to be significantly easier on the battery. Give it a look see if you're in the market for a tablet!

P_1 wrote: »
    Quiet deadline day it seems for Spurs, suppose it was to be expected given all the business that has already been done.

Ironically when they signed Capoue the first I heard of it on the radio was the phrase 'signed the French winger from Toulouse'. I thought Medard was off somewhere :P

Capoue isn't a winger though? :P What radio station was that?

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Better than Cleverley... at this stage, they've reached desperation levels and they can afford to hold out for the full price.

Fellaini is a good player, would improve them imo.

Ozil will be a great signing for Arsenal. Sakho will be a very good signing for Liverpool too. And Sessegnon will be a brilliant signing for West Brom if that happens :(:(:(

Thought Arsenal should have been looking at MF. They need a physically imposing player and I thought his best football was played as a defensive midfielder and he would also give them a stronger option at set pieces both attacking and defending.

Oddly, I think Ozil is the player United should have been looking at and MF the player Arsenal should have been looking at.

Capoue isn't a winger though? :P What radio station was that?

Today FM I think. Of course Arsenal decided to try and break him yesterday. Should be back in about a month from what I've heard.

• Advertisement

Thought Arsenal should have been looking at MF. They need a physically imposing player and I thought his best football was played as a defensive midfielder and he would also give them a stronger option at set pieces both attacking and defending.

Oddly, I think Ozil is the player United should have been looking at and MF the player Arsenal should have been looking at.

Arsenal could do with any sort of quality, they've got a fairly thin squad. Fellaini would suit them, but Wenger seems to be happy with Flamini/Wilshere/Arteta/Ramsey. Ozil will give them extra creativity... I think a goalkeeper or right-back is a bigger worry for Arsenal.

And I disagree about Man Utd needing Ozil, they already have Rooney and Kagawa as attacking midfielders...they need someone deeper to pair with Carrick, Ozil hasn't played deep...ever, I think.

And I disagree about Man Utd needing Ozil, they already have Rooney and Kagawa as attacking midfielders...they need someone deeper to pair with Carrick, Ozil hasn't played deep...ever, I think.

I don't know what the story is with Kagawa but he's definitely not flavour of the month with Moyes. Didn't make the bench yesterday and wasn't injured seemingly.

Rooney can be that player but it's a bit wait and see with him at the moment. Certainly talented but we'll see how he responds to not being top dog. He's very effective in that role against the weaker sides but I'm not sure he has the subtlety to prise open top opposition.

If Arsenal sign Ozil, Ba and ANY centre half i'll be happy, think the rest of the squad is reasonably covered.

Going into a season with 3 centre halves is a recipe for disaster.

I don't know what the story is with Kagawa but he's definitely not flavour of the month with Moyes. Didn't make the bench yesterday and wasn't injured seemingly.

Rooney can be that player but it's a bit wait and see with him at the moment. Certainly talented but we'll see how he responds to not being top dog. He's very effective in that role against the weaker sides but I'm not sure he has the subtlety to prise open top opposition.

I like Kagawa a lot, think he's a class player.

If Arsenal sign Ozil, Ba and ANY centre half i'll be happy, think the rest of the squad is reasonably covered.

Going into a season with 3 centre halves is a recipe for disaster.

Viviano, Palermo keeper, has been confirmed. Signing on loan. I think a quality full-back would be very useful for you too.

Stephen Ireland has signed on loan for Stoke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Jesus have i mistakenly signed up for the soccer forum!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement