Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Transfer deadline day is good craic usually.

Today has been pretty meh.

The only way this gets better is if United sign nobody. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

awec wrote: »
    Transfer deadline day is good craic usually.

Today has been pretty meh.

The only way this gets better is if United sign nobody. :)

Indeed. It's looking like MF or nothing for them now though.

Some really interesting smaller moves. Long to Hull for much less than he was being valued at previously. Assou Ekotto to QPR is a fantastic deal for them. Odemwingie to Cardiff conjures memories of the farce involving him last year.

Everton have to come up with something really too if MF is gone.

Deadline day is the one day of the footballing year that's genuinely fascinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Looks like Arsenal to Ozil is done deal.

edit: or Ozil to Arsenal rather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Jesus, the reaction on the soccer forum is hilariously hysterical

**** Hull
    **** Sessegnon
    **** this

**** Hull
    **** Sessegnon
    **** this

Hearing the Fellaini deal is off.

Please please please let it be true. :D

Delon Armitage isn't in the Toulon squad for Wednesday, sure sign he's signing (and leaving rugby) before the window closes! :D

Jesus, the reaction on the soccer forum is hilariously hysterical

I've some very hardcore football supporting friends. I like to just drop a bomb into their Twitter conversation and watch them froth at the mouth for a few minutes. David Moyes is being spoken of with pure disdain by his own fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

jaysus, i "support" United, but reading the Manchester thread will be brilliant if they sign no-one

• Advertisement

Boards is taking ages to load for a lot of people, all down to Deadline Day probably!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

When does this transfer stuff finish up so I know I can go back on facebook and twitter again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Sessegnon gone. FCUK :mad::(

I'm pretty pissed off now. Arguably the most naturally talented player I've ever seen play for Sunderland... another long season awaits...

Teferi wrote: »
    When does this transfer stuff finish up so I know I can go back on facebook and twitter again?

It's closed now but talk about it will dominate for another 12 hours or so.

Fellaini deal done apparently - 27.5 million notes.

Forget Fellaini.

McCarthy to Everton's just become one of Rep of Ireland's most expensive players.

One hell of a day for Everton if they get Barry, Lukaku and McCarthy whilst netting £27.5m for Fellaini.

'Arry in the car.

Transfer Deadline Day is complete!

Forget Fellaini.

McCarthy to Everton's just become one of Rep of Ireland's most expensive players.

How much?

• Advertisement

£14m

Far too high a price for him though.

Far too high a price for him though.

probably double his worth.

Dave Whelan played it perfectly.

Knew that if Everton let Fellaini go they'd need him, so just sat tight and waited for the money for Fellaini to appear in Everton's account!

Fellaini's price probably £1.5m higher than it should be as a direct result of Whelan's wheeling - and -dealing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Buer wrote: »
    It's closed now but talk about it will dominate for another 12 hours or so.

5CYfi.gif

probably double his worth.

Dave Whelan played it perfectly.

Knew that if Everton let Fellaini go they'd need him, so just sat tight and waited for the money for Fellaini to appear in Everton's account!

Fellaini's price probably £1.5m higher than it should be as a direct result of Whelan's wheeling - and -dealing!

Fellaini's price is about 5 million too high.

United could have signed him a month ago for 23 million. :pac:

McCarthy behind Keane and Duff for big Irish transfer fees?

Wish Ellis Short had taken a lesson from Levy and Whelan and Kenwright. Mignolet for 9/10m and Sessegnon is 6m is much too low, considering their worth to the team.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Can't beleive McCarthy went for £14m, that's more than Ozil went for when he transferred to Madrid...

United offerd 28m for Fellani and Baines a week ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Could be worth a watch. F1 back in the day was less sanitized...but way more dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Don't suppose anybody around here is keen on Olympic lifting?

.ak wrote: »
    Don't suppose anybody around here is keen on Olympic lifting?

aye

Ireland giving England a right rattle in the ODI. England are only 9 overs in but unless they step up things hugely, they're going to fall well short. Already lost 3 wickets for 25.

• Advertisement

Ireland giving England a right rattle in the ODI. England are only 9 overs in but unless they step up things hugely, they're going to fall well short. Already lost 3 wickets for 25.

Is it live Buer?

aye

Hrmm - you might be on the wrong side of the pond to help though! :P I'm looking to find somewhere where I can learn the basics in the Dublin area.

Is it live Buer?

Sky Sports 2.

England 28/3 after almost 11 overs. 269 target. Cracking weather in Malahide and big crowd too.

Ask away .ak, I'm an excellent lifter, built like a tank.

Ask away .ak, I'm an excellent lifter, built like a tank.

I'm trying to get your exact physique actually....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

East Coast Barbell would probably be the best place from what I've heard. They train out of Blackrock. There's a few guys with logs in the strength forum that train there.

Clean bowled! England 48/4 after 15 overs and in real trouble.

This result could do a lot for cricket in Ireland (hopefully not to the detriment of rugby!).

Deano7788 wrote: »
    East Coast Barbell would probably be the best place from what I've heard. They train out of Blackrock. There's a few guys with logs in the strength forum that train there.

Yeah already heard a recommendation from them... Bit far out tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

This result could do a lot for cricket in Ireland (hopefully not to the detriment of rugby!).

4 of the wickets in Ireland's innings were taken by an Irishman..

Yeah already heard a recommendation from them... Bit far out tho.

Maybe ask in the Strength or H&F forums, they'd probably have a better idea of other places to try.

Edit- Never mind I see you already did.

What lifts are you actually trying to learn by the way. Are they the full lifts or simpler variations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

why are you looking to get into it? Due to the amount of effort you would have to put into getting the technique right, you mightn't actually end up getting the full benefit of olympic training as oppose to using more 'standard' lifts

Good effort, alright. It looks as if England has rested most/all of its Ashes team?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Good effort, alright. It looks as if England has rested most/all of its Ashes team?

There's a few batsmen looking for a place in the Ashes team in Australia, but it is a largely second string team

why are you looking to get into it? Due to the amount of effort you would have to put into getting the technique right, you mightn't actually end up getting the full benefit of olympic training as oppose to using more 'standard' lifts

I'm looking to start a regime that's specifically designed to cater for rugby; i.e works on power/speed (i.e; power snatches etc.) a lot of what's involved is completely unknown to me so I was looking at where to start.

Maybe ask in the Strength or H&F forums, they'd probably have a better idea of other places to try.

Edit- Never mind I see you already did.

What lifts are you actually trying to learn by the way. Are they the full lifts or simpler variations?

Example of one of the sessions would be:

Power Snatch
    Power Clean
    Power Jerk

Now, I know what these are, but I don't know the technique etc.

Example of one of the sessions would be:

Power Snatch
    Power Clean
    Power Jerk

Now, I know what these are, but I don't know the technique etc.

Yeah, I'd recommend getting lessons in technique alright. The main reason I asked is that the full lifts take ages just to get the necessary levels of flexibility and get the technique down and that time could probably be better spent when not actually competing at OL. Those aren't that bad to learn though. I do all of those now to help support athletics (and before that rugby) but I was lucky to be coached by a qualified instructor at Under 20s. I wouldn't completely neglect plyometrics for power either though.

technique is drillable only. You spend an awful awful long time learning those lifts correctly.

Now, in my opinion they are fantastic lifts, and really very good for explosiveness, but they're a difficult discipline to learn.

The importance of near-perfect form cannot be understated. Your back is your only one. Good lifting means you keep it in good condition, bad lifting is another story altogether.

How are your big 3 formwise? (Deadlift, Squat, Bench) How about the ancillarys? OHP , Pull Ups, BarBell Rows?

Resting some and letting others play for their spots in the ODI matches next week against Oz, I would say.

That aspect of it won't be reported in Ireland though if we win so will be very good for the profile of the game.

Yeah, I'd recommend getting lessons in technique alright. The main reason I asked is that the full lifts take ages just to get the necessary levels of flexibility and get the technique down and that time could probably be better spent when not actually competing at OL. Those aren't that bad to learn though. I do all of those now to help support athletics (and before that rugby) but I was lucky to be coached by a qualified instructor at Under 20s. I wouldn't completely neglect plyometrics for power either though.

It's something I want to look into to improve and support my current strength & conditioning, so yeah I wouldn't be neglecting anything really but adding it in. There's a lot of other stuff in this regime that I would be familiar with, it's just the lifting stuff I'm a complete n00b.
    technique is drillable only. You spend an awful awful long time learning those lifts correctly.

Now, in my opinion they are fantastic lifts, and really very good for explosiveness, but they're a difficult discipline to learn.

The importance of near-perfect form cannot be understated. Your back is your only one. Good lifting means you keep it in good condition, bad lifting is another story altogether.

How are your big 3 formwise? (Deadlift, Squat, Bench) How about the ancillarys? OHP , Pull Ups, BarBell Rows?

Yeah, that's what I thought.. It's all a bit daunting for someone who's never even lifted before. I've done bench but I've never even done one deadlift or squat. When I said I was looking for somewhere to start I literally meant the start. ;)

My form on pull ups and rows is fine, although I wouldn't be able to knock out many pull ups currently, a lot more than a year ago tho mind!

• Advertisement

Start with Stronglifts 5x5 or "Starting Strength". Both great beginners programmes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement