Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

It's probably my sheer ignorance, but I don't like sports where I cannot identify any discernible tactics...

Seems to me the sliotar goes to the half back line and is then hit as hard as possible towards the full forward line and whoever gets out in front gets possession...when you can hit the ball along 70% of the length of the pitch, alot of the intricacies that I enjoy in Soccer/Rugby become obsolete

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    It's probably my sheer ignorance, but I don't like sports where I cannot identify any discernible tactics...

Seems to me the sliotar goes to the half back line and is then hit as hard as possible towards the full forward line and whoever gets out in front gets possession...when you can hit the ball along 70% of the length of the pitch, alot of the intricacies that I enjoy in Soccer/Rugby become obsolete

Yea that's true.

I think there are tactics but you need a really deep understanding of the game to be able to spot them. I can't - I just find it good because it's so fast.

Which is probably why I don't like the football as much - I don't see any tactics other than hoofing it about and then quickly changing direction - and it doesn't have the pace of hurling to make up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

P.Walnuts wrote: »

You can probably say that about any sport that you don't really follow though.

To me soccer looks like they either just pass it until it's near the goal or someone hoofs it up to the forward lad who then takes a shot.

I have no appreciation for football so someone with understands it is probably tearing their hair out at that comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Teferi wrote: »
    You can probably say that about any sport that you don't really follow though.

To me soccer looks like they either just pass it until it's near the goal or someone hoofs it up to the forward lad who then takes a shot.

I have no appreciation for football so someone with understands it is probably tearing their hair out at that comment.

Understand completely

Soccer though is all about systems and transitions between defence and attack. Formations can differ quite widely.

I just can't see it in hurling, its fast and frenetic and all that...but when you can score from half way.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Istanbul, Madrid or Tokyo for Olympics 2020?

I wish I thought the process was transparent, but I'm sure bribes are involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Nail on head, Teferi. I've mates who will watch a rugby game but don't really follow it. They'll ask me why on earth a team isn't trying to turn the ball over at the breakdown or why someone doesn't just run up and tackle the carrier as he receives the ball. They don't have an appreciation of the plan.

Similarly, I've a limited understanding of other sports. I follow football but I've friends who have coaching badges who have incredibly detailed analysis of games that I would never identify.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Istanbul, Madrid or Tokyo for Olympics 2020?

I wish I thought the process was transparent, but I'm sure bribes are involved.

I intend to go to an Olympics in my life. I couldn't really afford the London games. My company are heavily involved in the operations of them so applied to work at them but a very limited number of people are selected. Would have been the experience of a life to be there.

I hope Madrid gets it but I think it will be Tokyo. Bribes have to be involved in these things. The farce that came out from FIFA highlighted just how crooked these processes are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I just love hurling for the skill levels involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

There are definitely tactics in hurling... trust me.

I know because we were out-tactified :( By Davy fcuking Fitz. Unbelievable.

I wrote a preview for it if anybody is even halfway interested in the oul hurling. I tried to keep my Limerick bitterness out of it as much as possible :P

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/all-ireland-hurling-final-cork-vs-clare/

Hurling is a great sport to watch, the pace and skill levels make it a good spectacle most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

I hate hurling.
    I took a slap of a sliothar to the liathróidi at age 13 & I have never forgotten the pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Buer wrote: »
    I intend to go to an Olympics in my life. I couldn't really afford the London games. My company are heavily involved in the operations of them so applied to work at them but a very limited number of people are selected. Would have been the experience of a life to be there.

I hope Madrid gets it but I think it will be Tokyo. Bribes have to be involved in these things. The farce that came out from FIFA highlighted just how crooked these processes are.

I had the pleasure of working on the olympic games in sydney 2000. The buzz surrounding it was unreal....count in 40 irish lads with backstage security passes and consuming copius amounts of beer...heaven.

Managed to get to see a good few events as well.

Anyone else get addicted to certain songs and then play them over and over again...

Currently it's these 3...

mfceiling wrote: »
    Anyone else get addicted to certain songs and then play them over and over again...

It's an affliction. Hear a song, love it, download, play 100 times in the next week. Hate it forever more.

Didn't like the Arctic Monkeys originally but their new stuff is really good, I must say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

They're my two main gym tracks at the moment. Must download the new Artic Monkeys album. Julia Holter has a brilliant new album out at the moment if you're into the more mellow side of things

Oh....and this...

Right as always. Wrestling is supposed to get back in too, but I'm hoping squash will still be added - I'd watch squash, but you couldn't pay me to watch wrestling...unless a Kiwi or an Irishman was gunning for a medal, I guess.

I don't know if people follow boxing any longer (it is dying badly since the emergence of MMA) but tonight's fight between Burns and Beltran signified everything that's wrong at the officiating/judge level. A cracking effort between two guys giving it their all. After 12 rounds of slugging it out, Beltran was the clear winner of the title. Fight was in Glasgow and the judges scored it 115-112 Burns, 115-113 Beltran and 114-114. Absolutely shambolic. Home crowd even seemed subdued with it.

Crooked/politics...call it what you will. I do not believe for a second any of the judges honestly believed Burns was worth close to a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Is that the one they used to so in the olden days with the square ring and the big gloves and the ear biting?

Is that the one they used to so in the olden days with the square ring and the big gloves and the ear biting?

Ear nibbling. It's a sign of affection.

I actually don't follow boxing that closely but I do pine for the golden years of the sport. Sometimes I watch the old documentaries and they're simply superb. The personalities and the intensity and drive of those guys was something special.

If anyone heard it, the Off The Ball piece following the death of Emile Griffith last month was possibly the best piece I've ever heard on the show. Emotionally affecting as it was compulsive listening. The footage of his infamous fight on YouTube is disturbing though. How the referee didn't step in sooner will always be a mystery. The back story was fascinating though.

• Advertisement

I'm gonna stick my neck out here and say I much prefer boxing over MMA.

I don't know if people follow boxing any longer (it is dying badly since the emergence of MMA) but tonight's fight between Burns and Beltran signified everything that's wrong at the officiating/judge level. A cracking effort between two guys giving it their all. After 12 rounds of slugging it out, Beltran was the clear winner of the title. Fight was in Glasgow and the judges scored it 115-112 Burns, 115-113 Beltran and 114-114. Absolutely shambolic. Home crowd even seemed subdued with it.

Crooked/politics...call it what you will. I do not believe for a second any of the judges honestly believed Burns was worth close to a win.

Shocking alright.

Watching the build up videos on youtube for the mayweather v alvarez....think it's going to be a mighty scrap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

.ak wrote: »
    I'm gonna stick my neck out here and say I much prefer boxing over MMA.

same, i only watch the ufc thing when the irish dude is fighting, prefer boxing

only 4 and half hours left of my shift- wooo
    fin at two, will be able see second half of minor match (mon galway) and senior match (up d'banner)

G'wan de bannur! :pac:

Half of Clare are in the gaf, and they have eaten everything! They're like locusts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

.ak wrote: »
    Half of Clare are in the gaf, and they have eaten everything! They're like locusts!

ah fact, if moses had sent a plague of bannermen on morning off an all-ireland, egypt woulda given the jewish people the fecking pyramids

• Advertisement

In the big tree pub and its packed to the mammary glands!

I reckon cork outnumber Clare by about 2 to 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

So I came across this clip today, probably not the most effective way of displaying your displeasure at a refereeing decision...

Cracking Hurling final. Great advertisement for the game! Some of those Clare players have a sidestep to make Shane Williams weep.

The silliest rule in GAA is no extra time. If the scores are tied, it just begs for an extra 5 minutes each way or so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

rematch = more money

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    rematch = more money

Dodgy free in in 3.2,,,,

rematch = more money

It's still a stupid rule though. However, I'm not going to play the ignorant foreigner, so if that's what the people want.

Clare = NZ
    Cork = France

The setting is Cardiff...

Clare have somewhat choked.

It's still a stupid rule though. However, I'm not going to play the ignorant foreigner, so if that's what the people want.

I'm not sure its what people want, but its definitely what the GAA want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

rematch = more money

The GAA will love this. Ridiculous

I'm not sure its what people want, but its definitely what the GAA want.

Well, they got their wish...

Cracker of a match, when's the replay going to be on?

The silliest rule in GAA is no extra time. If the scores are tied, it just begs for an extra 5 minutes each way or so.

Not silly from a financial perspective, Croke Park will be sold out again in two weeks

Don't mind a rematch myself. That was cracking entertainment and who wouldn't want more of that

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    The GAA will love this. Ridiculous

Well they're not nicknamed the Grab All Association for nothing...

I'm just surprised that the drawing score came from play.

Jaysus, I'd be sick if Cork won. Looking forward to the replay.

• Advertisement

Not silly from a financial perspective, Croke Park will be sold out again in two weeks

I'm not going to give in on this one! An extra time, and then a penalty shoot-out would just ramp up the viewing pleasure.

Imagine if the soccer or rugby world cup had replays for tied finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

They don't like it in the studio but i say fair play to the ref for allowing extra time to the extra time, there was a fair bit of time wasting when Cork went into the lead. Understandable but Clare deserved a draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

They usually lower the prices for an All-Ireland replay don't they? Either way it'll be a very nice earner for GAA and Dublin in general.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Understandable but Clare deserved a draw

Clare were the better team for most of the game. I'd say they are sick with the draw tbh.

Tox56 wrote: »
    They don't like it in the studio but i say fair play to the ref for allowing extra time to the extra time, there was a fair bit of time wasting when Cork went into the lead. Understandable but Clare deserved a draw

Clare got some rough decisions in the first half, so I think it evened it out. Some 2nd half from Cork, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Teferi wrote: »
    Clare were the better team for most of the game. I'd say they are sick with the draw tbh.

Yeah but considering how close they came to a loss it's better than nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Clare will be happy considering the manner of the draw, but should have come away with the winner. Just couldn't pull clear of the langers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

P_1 wrote: »
    Cracker of a match, when's the replay going to be on?
    Might be 3 weeks maybe 4 weeks. Ladies Football may have to be moved
    They usually lower the prices for an All-Ireland replay don't they? Either way it'll be a very nice earner for GAA and Dublin in general.
    Yeah. Tickets for Stand prob will drop to around €50 and hill tickets will go for €25 or so

FOOOOOOOOTTTTBBBBAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Oh Titans

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement