Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Which game should I watch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Josh Freeman is am embarrassment

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Adrian Peterson gets a 73 yd touchdown on his first run of the season!!

Freeman.. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Have to watch the Lions on Redzone. How annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,188 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Clare should have won today. Cork led for 30 seconds out of 72 and a half minutes.

should have been down to 14 too.

but what a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Yeah it was all clare unlucky they couldnt close the game out, fair play to cork for staying in it. Will be looking forward to the replay at the end of the month!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

awec wrote: »
    Clare should have won today. Cork led for 30 seconds out of 72 and a half minutes.

should have been down to 14 too.

but what a game.

All true,ref probably should have blown it up before Clare equalised though. Davy fitzs head would have exploded if Clare had have lost though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Swiwi. wrote: »

Hmm, it's like a happy version if Once Were Warriors

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »

Cook the man some eggs...

I benched Boldin :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I benched Boldin :(

Ouch :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Love that ad. You know I can't eat your ghost chips

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Don't know if anyone else here is a resident of Dublin 13 (or as my socially optimistic neighbours call it, Dublin 3+1) but there was a bit of a spectacle at the weekend to mark the anniversary of Alan Ryan's murder. It's generally not in discussion anymore since the troubles settled but these sort of things serve as a reminder that there are plenty of idiots still around the place. Lots of young guys and girls wearing camouflage outfits, marching for the cause and shouting tiocfaidh ár lá.

I never really had that influence at all growing up in my environment so always wondered how these people end up falling into these circles when we live nowhere near the border, although a significant number of people were down from the north for the event.

Glad the missus was away for the weekend or I'd be spending my morning stuck on Daft looking for somewhere new to live...

Buer wrote: »
    Don't know if anyone else here is a resident of Dublin 13 (or as my socially optimistic neighbours call it, Dublin 3+1) but there was a bit of a spectacle at the weekend to mark the anniversary of Alan Ryan's murder. It's generally not in discussion anymore since the troubles settled but these sort of things serve as a reminder that there are plenty of idiots still around the place. Lots of young guys and girls wearing camouflage outfits, marching for the cause and shouting tiocfaidh ár lá.

I never really had that influence at all growing up in my environment so always wondered how these people end up falling into these circles when we live nowhere near the border, although a significant number of people were down from the north for the event.

Glad the missus was away for the weekend or I'd be spending my morning stuck on Daft looking for somewhere new to live...

They read about it on the inside door of a public toilet somewhere.

A completely different film but a very enjoyable Kiwi effort was Boy from a couple of years ago. Not as lauded as OWW but entertaining nonetheless. It's more of a Kiwi version of Napoleon Dynamite.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1560139/

A completely different film but a very enjoyable Kiwi effort was Boy from a couple of years ago. Not as lauded as OWW but entertaining nonetheless. It's more of a Kiwi version of Napoleon Dynamite.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1560139/

Yeah, it was quite enjoyable. This short film by the same director is also worth a watch, if you have 11:21 of your life to spare

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Pc6cBP-8U

What I took from that was Buer is from the north side

Unfortunately you're always going to get easily led fools who see the glamour of the 'cause'. Have to say it was a bit of a jolt for me to see the pictures of them marching in the estates (I spent the first several years of my life growing up not very far from there) though.

• Advertisement

I don't know if people follow boxing any longer (it is dying badly since the emergence of MMA) but tonight's fight between Burns and Beltran signified everything that's wrong at the officiating/judge level. A cracking effort between two guys giving it their all. After 12 rounds of slugging it out, Beltran was the clear winner of the title. Fight was in Glasgow and the judges scored it 115-112 Burns, 115-113 Beltran and 114-114. Absolutely shambolic. Home crowd even seemed subdued with it.

Crooked/politics...call it what you will. I do not believe for a second any of the judges honestly believed Burns was worth close to a win.

Well, at least some justice has been done and Paddypower have paid out on all bets on Beltran. I know PP are the masters of this stunt but it highlights just how crooked the decision was. The judge who had the fight 115-112 to Burns must have had a nice chunk of cash into his account for having the audacity to submit that score.

Well, at least some justice has been done and Paddypower have paid out on all bets on Beltran. I know PP are the masters of this stunt but it highlights just how crooked the decision was. The judge who had the fight 115-112 to Burns must have had a nice chunk of cash into his account for having the audacity to submit that score.

So... Everyone's a winner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

So... Everyone's a winner!

Except Beltran ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

So sick. And what's worse Benylen absolutely knocks me out so I've been a veritable Zombie at work all day

A question for the more technical minded folks. I currently have a Netopia internet router that has frankly seen better days and its time for an upgrade. I'm looking at some Netgear routers, surely I won't have any bother running one of these on a Vodafone connection?

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/NETGEAR-DGN2200-N300-Wireless-ADSL-Modem-Router/296939/7.11

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Depends on the connection... Will ya be bridging to the router from vodafone hardware or making the connection yourself through a built in modem?

I've never been a fan of netgear, but that may have just been the cheap **** that UPC we sending out clouding my opinion. Linksys all the way.

dregin wrote: »
    Depends on the connection... Will ya be bridging to the router from vodafone hardware or making the connection yourself through a built in modem?

I've never been a fan of netgear, but that may have just been the cheap **** that UPC we sending out clouding my opinion. Linksys all the way.

Honestly I haven't a clue, all I know is that the current router plugs into the phone line and then goes out to the various devices but you need to turn it off and on again to connect to the internet with the devices which is starting to irritate me at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Installing a new router/internet connection is probably the most infuriating task known to man

P_1 wrote: »
    Honestly I haven't a clue, all I know is that the current router plugs into the phone line and then goes out to the various devices but you need to turn it off and on again to connect to the internet with the devices which is starting to irritate me at this stage

I doubt you HAVE to have a vodafone router to use with a vodafone connection. But I wouldn't swear by that. There's no doubt a technical forum on boards where you might get the right advice.

• Advertisement

I doubt you HAVE to have a vodafone router to use with a vodafone connection. But I wouldn't swear by that. There's no doubt a technical forum on boards where you might get the right advice.

True, it's actually an old Eircom Netopia router that's currently there, previously signed up to Eircom and then switched to a Vodafone contract.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Some good photoshops in the photoshop competition this week

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057012427

I should try and find my Rogina monologues "photoshop"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

So the wife fell in supervalu today (deli counter self serve - someone had spilled stuff on the floor)....hit her hand on the fridge on the way down and broke her middle finger as well as dislocating it!! Splint across 3 fingers now and a visit to a hand surgeon on friday as well as a nice bill of €362!!

Didn't appreciate my sense of sympathy when i mused...."is that the hand you wipe your arse with?"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

See, that's what the shop's public liability insurance is for. Don't hesitate to claim medical expenses off it.

mfceiling wrote: »
    So the wife fell in supervalu today (deli counter self serve - someone had spilled stuff on the floor)....hit her hand on the fridge on the way down and broke her middle finger as well as dislocating it!! Splint across 3 fingers now and a visit to a hand surgeon on friday as well as a nice bill of €362!!

Didn't appreciate my sense of sympathy when i mused...."is that the hand you wipe your arse with?"

To finish it with style let her know you posted it on boards...

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »

She got the shopping though, right?

UPC lock their connection to MAC addresses forcing the end user to bridge through their **** modems >_<

When IPv6 rolls out, which will no doubt be a very long time away for Irish ISPs, you'll see all the big ISPs lock down their networks to their hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

When IPv6 rolls out, which will no doubt be a very long time away for Irish ISPs, you'll see all the big ISPs lock down their networks to their hardware.

What do you mean they will lock down their networks to their hardware?

Not sure how having a 6 segmented IP address is relevant to that? But then again, I'm hopeless at networking.

So long as you can bridge to decent router it shouldn't matter anyway.

• Advertisement

UPC lock their connection to MAC addresses forcing the end user to bridge through their **** modems >_<

Just clone the MAC address of the UPC modem to your replacement router?

Just clone the MAC address of the UPC modem to your replacement router?

Well, that's not hard so now, is it ;)

It's just a couple of commands to type in; no knowledge of genetics required.

Good luck finding a modem that'll take UPC's coax cable :P

Also, I assume the IPV6 comment above is related to everyone getting a static IP since there'd be a LOT more available in IPV6 land. Easier to track the warez monkeys, yo!

Good luck finding a modem that'll take UPC's coax cable :P

Also, I assume the IPV6 comment above is related to everyone getting a static IP since there'd be a LOT more available in IPV6 land. Easier to track the warez monkeys, yo!

Oh sorry just saw that!

Yeah every single device is going to be on a dedicated IP. Fridges. Cars. Rugby balls.

It means we'll have proper push of data though, so that'll be nice. Improved battery life for phones as well I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Can someone translate a summary of this conversation? :pac:

IPv6 addresses are generated automatically based on your NIC's MAC (paddy wack give a dog a bone) aren't they? Or is that just for LANs?

Coax cable modems - forgot all about those!

Can someone translate a summary of this conversation? :pac:

IPv6 addresses are generated automatically based on your NIC's MAC (paddy wack give a dog a bone) aren't they? Or is that just for LANs?

Coax cable modems - forgot all about those!

Only locally. Assigned like IPv4 otherwise, except the smallest possible allocation is like a /64 which is like 18 trillion trillion addresses or something silly, so theoretically exhaustion will be slightly more impossible than it was for IPv4. And there are other things like multicasting etc. which networking people get very excited over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Crash

DOCSIS cable modems are generally not that cheap to buy seperately, but more importantly, most cable operators ship them with low level config already on them, so that the modem in use needs to have specific configuration set to be able to negotiate with the CMTS (terminating end of the coax cable).

Pretty much means that in most cases, you're stuck with the UPC modem. Not really an issue in the non-cable sphere except for mobile dongles / SIM locked devices.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement