Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Can someone translate a summary of this conversation? :pac:

P_1 wrote: »
    True, it's actually an old Eircom Netopia router that's currently there,

Can I just say that those Netopia routers are like cockroaches. Ugly, annoying but by god they were pretty indestructible and a great networking device. And pretty much the only thing in life I can say I wrote the manual on (Worked in Eircom DSL support and wrote a quick training manual on it for the rest of staff that the training department then just plagiarized the bastards.)

edit: on the subject of cockroaches, never go to fiji if you are afraid of cockroaches as they have fecking flying cockroaches :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

edit: on the subject of cockroaches, never go to fiji if you are afraid of cockroaches as they have fecking flying cockroaches :eek:

They're also very delicious.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

dregin wrote: »

Speaking of that, there is a "Wild Food Festival" back home every year, and my mates convinced me to eat a raw grasshopper. It was bloody disgusting. Some of the other stuff liked fried Ram's Testicles and the like wasn't actually too bad.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Speaking of that, there is a "Wild Food Festival" back home every year, and my mates convinced me to eat a raw grasshopper. It was bloody disgusting. Some of the other stuff liked fried Ram's Testicles and the like wasn't actually too bad.

I've eaten a few insects in my time... I think they're fairly okay! Don't know if I could stomach a ram's ball tho! :(

If it's cooked, I'll probably eat it. Unless it's celery. Then it can **** right the **** off.

If it's cooked, I'll probably eat it. Unless it's celery. Then it can **** right the **** off.

Unless they're with chicken wings. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Cucumber for me. Just makes sandwiches and the like soggy. Awful vegetable, although can sometimes be redeemed in a salad.

• Advertisement

Cucumber for me. Just makes sandwiches and the like soggy. Awful vegetable, although can sometimes be redeemed in a salad.

If you use a potato peeler and shave them into crispy ribbons rather than slice them up they're good!

.ak wrote: »
    Unless they're with chicken wings. :D

NO! There is NO place in the world for celery. Tastes like acid to me.

NO! There is NO place in the world for celery. Tastes like acid to me.

Is this one of these weird things where your parents force fed you celery sticks and now you're mentally scarred?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Cucumber is tasty in a good G&T.

Is this one of these weird things where your parents force fed you celery sticks and now you're mentally scarred?

Nah, apparently it's a genetic thing with some foods. You can either taste them really strongly or you can't at all. Coriander tastes like soap to me too, but only seems to bother me when it's uncooked: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-09/13/genetic-aversion-to-coriander

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Cucumber is tasty in a good G&T.

Celery stick in a bloody Mary, never understood why!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Nah, apparently it's a genetic thing with some foods. You can either taste them really strongly or you can't at all. Coriander tastes like soap to me too, but only seems to bother me when it's uncooked: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-09/13/genetic-aversion-to-coriander

I've heard about that as well. I think cucumber falls into that category.
    Absolutely hate the stuff. A lot of people say there's no taste of them but they're evil. Even if it was taken out of a sandwich I can still taste it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

I get that with coriander too, tastes disgraceful, ruins a good Buritto!

That's mad. I'd hate to have that - love coriander!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

That would explain my incredible hatred for red onion. If it's even touched anything I eat I can taste it. Vile, vile stuff altogether. I know of no other food that so badly contaminates everything it touches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Frankie in a bit of financial trouble it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I'm like that with cucumber and celery too, cucumber repeats on me awful, tastes awful, I have no idea why people eat it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Cucumber is lovely in tsatsiki. Otherwise mostly pointless. I can be in the same timezone as celery. Worst food in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Celery and blue cheese dip is a winning combo. But you could dip anything in blue cheese dip and it would taste unreal.

Hagz wrote: »
    Celery and blue cheese dip is a winning combo. But you could dip anything in blue cheese dip and it would taste unreal.

Ah look....we won handy enough tonite....I'm not going to do any knob jokes...yiz is gettingnoff lightly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Can I just say that those Netopia routers are like cockroaches. Ugly, annoying but by god they were pretty indestructible and a great networking device. And pretty much the only thing in life I can say I wrote the manual on (Worked in Eircom DSL support and wrote a quick training manual on it for the rest of staff that the training department then just plagiarized the bastards.)

Yeah it served it's time well to be fair (think I've had it since 2008 or something), replaced it with the Netgear router the other day and t'internet is now suckin' diesel.

• Administrators Posts: 54,188 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Celery sticks and cheese dips, cucumber, g and t, what have I stumbled in to here?!

awec wrote: »
    Celery sticks and cheese dips, cucumber, g and t, what have I stumbled in to here?!

Dunno really, but it's still miles better than that Harp rubbish you drink...... Philistine! :)

Anyone else have an image of awec ordering a pint of píss....I mean harp with a twist of celery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Dunno really, but it's still miles better than that Harp rubbish you drink...... Philistine! :)

Anyone else have an image of awec ordering a pint of píss....I mean harp with a twist of celery?

beat's a straw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Today I'm trying to explain to someone that they can type a URL into the top of their browser to get to a web page (which isn't indexed for security reasons), not just by going through google. Damn you Google making everyone reliant on you!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Oi Hagz - you smell like poo and you're going to lose :P

• Advertisement

Listen, you may not have heard, but I'm sort of a big deal.

1-0.<-That zero means I've never been beat. Not once. Every time someone's come up against me, they've lost.

Every.Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Today I'm trying to explain to someone that they can type a URL into the top of their browser to get to a web page (which isn't indexed for security reasons), not just by going through google. Damn you Google making everyone reliant on you!

I'd wager the majority of the population believes Google is the internet.

Listen, you may not have heard, but I'm sort of a big deal.

1-0.<-That zero means I've never been beat. Not once. Every time someone's come up against me, they've lost.

Every.Time.

You've angered Dez Bryant.

Feel the wrath of Dez Bryant.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    You've angered Dez Bryant.

Feel the wrath of Dez Bryant.

Oh don't worry, I'm doing a stellar job of beating myself. I benched Rodgers.

Oh don't worry, I'm doing a stellar job of beating myself. I benched Rodgers.

Well I benched Wallace so let's call it even!

Having gone 4-0 last week I'm not losing in all my leagues. Bloody fantasy football.

I think you're gonna come back and get me.

Irishbucsfan I feel your pain. A 73 yd TD for Jackson wiped out by an idiotic illegal formation penalty.

Jesus. The Bucs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

19543261 wrote: »

I work in a support office. We're kind of a systems helpdesk/business analyst/data analyst hodge podge of a team.

When my manager was asking about something one of the lads told him to google it. He announced to the office that he didn't have google installed on his machine. :eek:

19543261 wrote: »

The same majority that thought it was called yahoo before.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I work in a support office. We're kind of a systems helpdesk/business analyst/data analyst hodge podge of a team.

When my manager was asking about something one of the lads told him to google it. He announced to the office that he didn't have google installed on his machine. :eek:

Should have asked him to look "on the line"

molloyjh wrote: »

Ha! Another real Irish thing is everyone calling PCs/laptops 'machines'.

Whenever my dad rings me up to ask for help on his laptop it's a bitter/sweet mix of frustration and absolute hilarity.

Speaking of machines and do-hickeys... anyone else having trouble sleeping because GTAV is only a few hours away?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Speaking of machines and do-hickeys... anyone else having trouble sleeping because GTAV is only a few hours away?!

I would be excited, had I either a preorder or money :(

• Advertisement

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I would be excited, had I either a preorder or money :(

I'm broke but I reckon I could not eat for a week....

Nah, everyone calls them machines, even in French and Spanish.

Lads unless you've made people on the end of the phone cry or heard a screaming child in the background and asked them to be put on the phone as they would be more help then you haven't had the worst of it.

I worked in eircom internet support for a while and I have borne the brunt of this great nations idiots

Pff, try doing tech support for hairdressers and beauticians.

All my contact with the unwashed masses goes through my butler.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement