Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

.ak wrote: »
    Speaking of machines and do-hickeys... anyone else having trouble sleeping because GTAV is only a few hours away?!

I haven't pre-ordered it because I bought into all the hype for the last one and it turned out to be absolute rubbish.

I know a load of people who already have it, people who pre-ordered from Amazon up home got it delivered last Friday or Saturday. They all say it's good.

I reckon if I head to the shops on Friday I'd get a copy alright.

But might wait for FIFA 14 instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

awec wrote: »
    I haven't pre-ordered it because I bought into all the hype for the last one and it turned out to be absolute rubbish.

I know a load of people who already have it, people who pre-ordered from Amazon up home got it delivered last Friday or Saturday. They all say it's good.

I reckon if I head to the shops on Friday I'd get a copy alright.

But might wait for FIFA 14 instead.

I thought GTA4 was great. Always surprised to hear people didn't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

In college, I had the pleasure of working for directory enquiries. The staff turnover was ridiculous; I think the average stint of an employee was 6 weeks before they ran screaming from the building (2 weeks of that was training). It was demoralising stuff. Plenty of drunk and abusive phone calls from people who couldn't find a number for a company or a person they had extremely vague and, in most cases, incorrect information for. Often the numbers didn't exist.

I lasted 9 months before calling it quits. Money wasn't that bad as it was bonus based largely on your call times but it was a soul destroying task. You clocked in and worked your shift without stopping until your 15 minute break arrived which was militantly monitored and affected your pay if you did not clock back in before time. In the irregular times that the phones were quiet, there was no chat or internet or even solitaire available, just a terminal where you had access to every phone number in the UK.

Good times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Speaking of machines and do-hickeys... anyone else having trouble sleeping because GTAV is only a few hours away?!

You have a gf & it's GTAv that's keeping you from sleeping?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Buer wrote: »
    In college, I had the pleasure of working for directory enquiries. The staff turnover was ridiculous; I think the average stint of an employee was 6 weeks before they ran screaming from the building (2 weeks of that was training). It was demoralising stuff. Plenty of drunk and abusive phone calls from people who couldn't find a number for a company or a person they had extremely vague and, in most cases, incorrect information for. Often the numbers didn't exist.

I lasted 9 months before calling it quits. Money wasn't that bad as it was bonus based largely on your call times but it was a soul destroying task. You clocked in and worked your shift without stopping until your 15 minute break arrived which was militantly monitored and affected your pay if you did not clock back in before time. In the irregular times that the phones were quiet, there was no chat or internet or even solitaire available, just a terminal where you had access to every phone number in the UK.

Good times!

I briefly worked in a call centre which sounds similar enough to that. To keep ourselves sane, we used to play a game where you would have to sneak in a word into each conversation somehow. Usually the more ridiculous, the better. e.g. "I will connect your alligator directly"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Lads unless you've made people on the end of the phone cry or heard a screaming child in the background and asked them to be put on the phone as they would be more help then you haven't had the worst of it.

I worked in eircom internet support for a while and I have borne the brunt of this great nations idiots

Have you ever had someone send you a screenshot by taking a picture of their monitor with their phone and emailing that image as the screenshot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Heading up to the midnight launch with a couple of mates tonight but probably won't play it till Friday.

The online looks like the best aspect to me. I much prefer games that you can play with you friends so I'm stoked about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Have you ever had someone send you a screenshot by taking a picture of their monitor with their phone and emailing that image as the screenshot?

Is that not how you do it :pac:

She's currently in hospital actually. Nothing too serious, but it may also allow me a sneaky game of GTAv before she gets home. :D There'll be flowers and a clean house waiting, ofcourse *sets remind to pay somebody to do that...*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I thought GTA4 was great. Always surprised to hear people didn't like it.

When I originally bought it on release I couldn't stand it.

Just last year I decided to give it another go and dug it out and I was hooked up until more or less June of this year !

Was really kicking myself for not giving it a decent run !

On the GTA 5 topic, I know of somebody who pre ordered off Amazon to parcel Motel and they have it since Saturday evening :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

GTA 5's out at midnight tonight isn't it? Getting another tattoo done tomorrow evening and I think the studio has an X-Box. I wonder if it's possible to play it one handed...

P_1 wrote: »
    GTA 5's out at midnight tonight isn't it? Getting another tattoo done tomorrow evening and I think the studio has an X-Box. I wonder if it's possible to play it one handed...

Yeah midnight tonight but there's shortages of 360 copies being reported............. which kinda sucks.

Are you getting a naked BOD tattood on your back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Are you getting a naked BOD tattood on your back?

Nah just a massive frothy pint of Harp :P

MugMugs wrote: »
    When I originally bought it on release I couldn't stand it.

Just last year I decided to give it another go and dug it out and I was hooked up until more or less June of this year !

Was really kicking myself for not giving it a decent run !

On the GTA 5 topic, I know of somebody who pre ordered off Amazon to parcel Motel and they have it since Saturday evening :(

Same here. Only finishing 4 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Ah he's probably at the stage where unless he buys the ring expansion pack he probably only gets to play the same level of GF over and over again. And as a good few people here will know the ring expansion pack can have quite differing effects on the stability of GF and can often lead to having to cough up for the second ring expansion pack which can be extremely expensive.

Although I personally never hard to I heard that it's very hard to uninstall the ring expansion pack and often will lead to you not being able to the original version of GF again and even if you don't you for the most part lose all saved games and experience and have to start from the start again

molloyjh wrote: »

What? and have them try and use a 2nd type of technology? are you kidding me. (also my tech support era would of pre-dated people having said technology anyway)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ah he's probably at the stage where unless he buys the ring expansion pack he probably only gets to play the same level of GF over and over again. And as a good few people here will know the ring expansion pack can have quite differing effects on the stability of GF and can often lead to having to cough up for the second ring expansion pack which can be extremely expensive.

Although I personally never hard to I heard that it's very hard to uninstall the ring expansion pack and often will lead to you not being able to the original version of GF again and even if you don't you for the most part lose all saved games and experience and have to start from the start again

And after all that you just end up with the dreaded Ring of Death

Podge_irl wrote: »
    And after all that you just end up with the dreaded Ring of Death

And potentially two or three little financial drains running arounding want to play thy GTA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

She's currently in hospital actually. Nothing too serious, but it may also allow me a sneaky game of GTAv before she gets home. :D There'll be flowers and a clean house waiting, ofcourse *sets remind to pay somebody to do that...*

Ah, hope all's well....I.almost feel bad now

Ah, hope all's well....I.almost feel bad now

Almost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You know you lads are young when you are talking about playing video games one handed.

When i was your age there was only one thing i was able to play one handed...

mfceiling wrote: »
    When i was your age there was only one thing i was able to play one handed...

Sinclair_SJS1_joystick.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

So not only does Ray Rice pull out injured, but so does Jones-Drew. On top of that, the 49'ers got diddly squat.

Fortune does not favour you friend.

Sinclair_SJS1_joystick.jpg

Got it one podge!!;)

• Advertisement

Hagz wrote: »
    So not only does Ray Rice pull out injured, but so does Jones-Drew. On top of that, the 49'ers got diddly squat.

Fortune does not favour you friend.

Thanks for spelling it out like that :( 5 players with 3 points or fewer!!! Not even mighty Dez Bryant could save me from that.

Its an issue with fantasy - I have a habit of making my teams too 9er centric as I'm a fan. Started Kap and Davis in this league and my main one - suffice to say, in the words of Brian Moore, I suffered a proper shellacking in both.

So that's iOS 7 up and running. We'll see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Swiwi. wrote: »
    So that's iOS 7 up and running. We'll see how it goes.

downloading it myself at the moment

Good. Maybe it will make my iPhone less ****.

But I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Good. Maybe it will make my iPhone less ****.

But I doubt it.

android wanker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

It's taking aaaages to update on my iPad. My 3G is finally obsolete, time to upgrade - anyone got a spare 500 quid?

android wanker!

True story.

Alas, work don't share my undeniable taste and class and have saddled me with an over-priced, glorified fashion accessory for hipsters :P

Had to buy all my feckin aps again too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Got GTAV today. Threw it into the PS3 and installed the 8GB worth of data needed. Just as I pressed continue to start playing the game, the PS3 packed it in. Now I'm left with a broken console with a €60 game stuck inside it. :(

Got GTAV today. Threw it into the PS3 and installed the 8GB worth of data needed. Just as I pressed continue to start playing the game, the PS3 packed it in. Now I'm left with a broken console with a €60 game stuck inside it. :(

Did you try turning it off and back on again!!

*mf's knowledge of electronic equipment once again comes to the fore*

True story.

Alas, work don't share my undeniable taste and class and have saddled me with an over-priced, glorified fashion accessory for hipsters :P

Had to buy all my feckin aps again too.

Ah, I see Basel took down Chelsea. Not that Geneva will care, mind...

Bad buzz! :( What's wrong with the console exactly?

I stuck it on after training last night. Have to say Rockstar have outdone themselves this time, even just from a coding point of view. The game is solid as a rock. No glitches like the previous incarnations and the dynamics are super smooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

I stuck it on after training last night. Have to say Rockstar have outdone themselves this time, even just from a coding point of view. The game is solid as a rock. No glitches like the previous incarnations and the dynamics are super smooth.

Its a big improvement over GTA IV for me. Loving it so far and have only played a few of the missions, spent so much time exploring.

I have my copy reserved in Argos, will be picking it up this evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Yellow light of death. Basically a problem on the motherboard due to overheating and a soldering joint failing or something. Happened before years ago and had it repaired/replaced under warranty.

Ah no way. I had an over heating problem with my PS3 for Last of Us... Crashed a lot at certain parts of the game. Ended up having to play it with my PS3 half open on a window ledge!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I heard there were massive issues if you tried to install the second disc? Half the screen loading... I wouldn't call that solid coding, but at the end of the day, they can always just blame QA for not catching it :D

dregin wrote: »
    I heard there were massive issues if you tried to install the second disc? Half the screen loading... I wouldn't call that solid coding, but at the end of the day, they can always just blame QA for not catching it :D

That's an issue with the 360. No issues with the PS3 version.

Regardless, doesn't pain the company in a very good light at all.

Anyway, I could never get into the mission stuff in GTA. It was always just too easy to spend hours blowing the **** out of cops and the poor Hare Krishna's >_<

I just had the worst interview of my life. It was hilariously bad.

Teferi wrote: »

Not answer the questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Been there. It's all practice. Shake it off and remember that you're interviewing them as well as vice versa.

Not answer the questions?

The opening line of the interviewer was "You don't have the experience we're looking for", it just didn't go better from there. Not sure why they bothered interviewing me if that was going to be their opening line.

Answered the questions as best I could but they're just looking for someone with far more experience.

Buer wrote: »
    Been there. It's all practice. Shake it off and remember that you're interviewing them as well as vice versa.

Ah sure, you have to get a few bad ones out of the way!

Went through 7 straight hours of interviews a while back and shot myself in the foot in the last one :( As above, it's all part of the learning process!

The opening line of the interviewer was "You don't have the experience we're looking for", it just didn't go better from there. Not sure why they bothered interviewing me if that was going to be their opening line.

They probably asked you to the interview cause they taught you could do the job. In an interview setting I'd take as an opening line of "You don't have the experience we're looking for" to actually mean "You don't have the experience we're looking for BUT we like what we see on your CV so here's your chance to shine and prove us wrong"

• Advertisement

They probably asked you to the interview cause they taught you could do the job. In an interview setting I'd take as an opening line of "You don't have the experience we're looking for" to actually mean "You don't have the experience we're looking for BUT we like what we see on your CV so here's your chance to shine and prove us wrong"

Exactly. They don't want to waste their time either. You can't let yourself get put off by an opening line like that, just use it to show that you might not have the experience yet, but you have all the skills required etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement