Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Exactly. They don't want to waste their time either. You can't let yourself get put off by an opening line like that, just use it to show that you might not have the experience yet, but you have all the skills required etc.

Agreed, just remember it doesn't cost you much to go for an interview but it can cost a company a good deal to interview YOU. They're not going to waste their time and money interviewing you if they didn't have some expectation that you were the right person for the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I've been interviewing people the past couple of weeks. Trust me, I'd say half of those interviewees are leaving saying the same thing, and I'm as laid back as possible!

Everyone has a few bad interviews in them, good to get them out of the way! Plus I always thought once you've interviewed badly, you feel a lot more confident going into the next few.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

They probably asked you to the interview cause they taught you could do the job. In an interview setting I'd take as an opening line of "You don't have the experience we're looking for" to actually mean "You don't have the experience we're looking for BUT we like what we see on your CV so here's your chance to shine and prove us wrong"

Yeah I'd take that line as a compliment if anything, they know I don't have the experience but they want to talk to me anyway? They must see something they like

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Teferi wrote: »
    The opening line of the interviewer was "You don't have the experience we're looking for", it just didn't go better from there. Not sure why they bothered interviewing me if that was going to be their opening line.

It's not an unusual tactic. I've been interviewed by some really inept people in the past who go on the offensive from the start and are taking a smug enjoyment from trying to unsettle you. Just requires a deep breath and to stick to the plan. All the work is done in the days leading up to it.

I've also been on the other side of the table and know that, regardless of the demeanour or attitude you take as an interviewer, the best candidate will still make themselves known through ther knowledge and experience. Unless the position is one that is going to require on the spot responses and decisions under pressure, I struggle to see the need to go on the attack when interviewing a candidate. I've sat alongside people who have taken that approach and it has been to absolutely no benefit aside from making the candidate so uncomfortable, we didn't actually get a good insight into their ability.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yep, a decent interviewer will try and get rid of a candidates nerves early in the interview and try and get them more relaxed. You only really see the real person when they are confident in what they are saying and feel like they are talking to a peer as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

I read somewhere about GTA V that for 360 you were advised not to install the "play" disc onto your HD as it can make the game unstable and glitchy..

What the hell does this mean?

I understand the game needs to install itself onto the HD but how can you do that without installing the disc?

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    I read somewhere about GTA V that for 360 you were advised not to install the "play" disc onto your HD as it can make the game unstable and glitchy..

What the hell does this mean?

I understand the game needs to install itself onto the HD but how can you do that without installing the disc?
    There are two discs, an install disc and a play disc.

You should install the install disc (obviously), but not the play disc because it can cause issues with the game trying to read both from the hard drive at the same time.

awec wrote: »
    There are two discs, an install disc and a play disc.

You should install the install disc (obviously), but not the play disc because it can cause issues with the game trying to read both from the hard drive at the same time.

Ah right cheers!

Why would it give you the option to install play disc if it messes things up? Or is it just people do it without any instruction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Ha! That poll is gas :D
    Buer wrote: »
    It's not an unusual tactic. I've been interviewed by some really inept people in the past who go on the offensive from the start and are taking a smug enjoyment from trying to unsettle you. Just requires a deep breath and to stick to the plan. All the work is done in the days leading up to it.

I've also been on the other side of the table and know that, regardless of the demeanour or attitude you take as an interviewer, the best candidate will still make themselves known through ther knowledge and experience. Unless the position is one that is going to require on the spot responses and decisions under pressure, I struggle to see the need to go on the attack when interviewing a candidate. I've sat alongside people who have taken that approach and it has been to absolutely no benefit aside from making the candidate so uncomfortable, we didn't actually get a good insight into their ability.

I suppose it just made me feel rather uncomfortable, it didn't really help with the nerves. Sure what can you do, onwards and upwards!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

We're on the hunt for Java developers, if you're interested!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

You'd think a mod would know the difference between two, to and too! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

You'd think a mod would know the difference between two, to and too! :p

You would.

:pac: T'wasn't me btw!

hmmm, now where is that ban button. I know I left it around here some where

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

They probably asked you to the interview cause they taught you could do the job. In an interview setting I'd take as an opening line of "You don't have the experience we're looking for" to actually mean "You don't have the experience we're looking for BUT we like what we see on your CV so here's your chance to shine and prove us wrong"

Frankly, I wouldn't want to work for a company that uses such a hiring process

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

hmmm, now where is that ban button. I know I left it around here some where

Silly man, we all know it's a hammer and not a button :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

http://m.yahoo.com/w/ygo-frontpage/lp/story/uk/929984/coke.bp%3B_ylt=A2KL8x5E8jpStgYA1xkp89w4%3B_ylu=X3oDMTFyajFjNDJlBGNwb3MDMgRjc2VjA21vYmlsZS10ZARpbnRsA3VrBHBrZwNpZC05Mjk5ODQEcG9zAzIEc2xrA3RpdGxl?ref_w=frontdoors&view=today&.intl=gb&.lang=en-gb

Can't shorten the link on my phone :)
    I love this show, Adam is very charismatic, and seeing what the American public eat is just mind numbing. To lose 4 stone after a few years of horrible eating habits is admirable indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Grimebox wrote: »
    Frankly, I wouldn't want to work for a company that uses such a hiring process
    I agree, its crap interview practice and I hate being in on an interview with a couple of colleagues who use a very similar method. I personally much prefer to keep everything relaxed and easy and get people talking and free flowing - some people talk themselves into a job, some talk themselves out of it. Anything else is just rude and mostly pointless, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

So about two weeks ago I saw that I owed €75 (I'd gone a bit over my plan of 55 a month) for my next phone bill when checking my account on the vodafone website. Only a week into my new job I knew I wouldn't be getting paid until the 27th of this month. So I decided to get the bill out of the way thinking it was due to come out by direct debit around the 21st or 22nd (why I thought this I don't know)

So on I went to the vodafone website and popped 75 into my account from the credit card.

Today then I realised that I had in fact paid the bill exactly a day after they had direct debited me €55 for my monthly plan. The figure I was looking at online was for my next bill which isn't due until the 13th of October

So ya, paid my bill 4 weeks in advance. Despite the fact that I'm tight on money having had to move house and work a month before getting paid

Just realise how boring this story is :D

Tl;dr

I'm an eejet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

How can you need a €55 a month plan? :eek: I'm €20 a month with three and I get unlimited data, unlimited texting, free calls to three, and free weekend calls to any network.

Vodafone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I can never understand people going with vodafone. Worst service going for terrible prices... I assume it's an iPhone contract?

How can you need a €55 a month plan? :eek: I'm €20 a month with three and I get unlimited data, unlimited texting, free calls to three, and free weekend calls to any network.

Work pays for most of it so I went all out! Although the bill I got direct debited for had to come all out of my own pocket because I hadn't started last month

free calls and texts to any network plus 2gig data and I got the iphone five for 50 snots

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Work gave me a phone and pay my bill, which I then regularly use to call the UK and Ireland which they are bafflingly ok with. Its saving me a fortune!

I have to say given we are such a down turn I can't understand how so many companies still spend stupid amounts of money on phones/phone bills.

Lads....Beats earphones...yay or nay?

I'll be honest i've tried them, and i've also tried a Sony pair that cost €20 and I can't distinguish any difference to justify the price! Are they just an expensive fashion accessory?

People who know these things tell me Bose is the superior brand but I still can't fathom how people who arn't professionally involved in music/sound production need them...

PS. For the love of god no reference to which rugby player may or may not wear them :P

I have to say given we are such a down turn I can't understand how so many companies still spend stupid amounts of money on phones/phone bills.

And I rarely if ever need to use it for anything work related. Not complaining though

I'll be honest i've tried them, and i've also tried a Sony pair that cost €20 and I can't distinguish any difference to justify the price! Are they just an expensive fashion accessory?

People who know these things tell me Bose is the superior brand but I still can't fathom how people who arn't professionally involved in music/sound production need them...

PS. For the love of god no reference to which rugby player may or may not wear them :P

I can tell the difference between a pair that is **** as opposed to my own sennheisers which cost €50. But then when I put on my friends Sennheisers which cost 450 It makes mine sounds ****.

But then again my 50euro ones are fine. Friend is in sound production and has warned me away from Beats in the past saying a lot of the price is for the name alone

I can tell the difference between a pair that is **** as opposed to my own sennheisers which cost €50. But then when I put on my friends Sennheisers which cost 450 It makes mine sounds ****.

But then again my 50euro ones are fine. Friend is in sound production and has warned me away from Beats in the past saying a lot of the price is for the name alone

Is there any jump in sound quality that can justify a price increase of €400??

Nay nay nay nay nay nay nay.

Over priced headphones with crap drivers. They're just made by monster cables. Terrible headphones for the price. For the equivalent in AKG or Sennheiser you'll be blown away by the response and audio quality.

• Advertisement

Beats earphones are all fur coat and no knickers. Get a set of Sennheisers for the cash you'd drop on a set of Beats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

No to beats, you wouldn't want to look like Heaslip, would you?

P_1 wrote: »
    Beats earphones are all fur coat and no knickers. Get a set of Sennheisers for the cash you'd drop on a set of Beats

So in other words people don't think Heaslip should be captain because he isn't wearing knickers:confused: Also were is his fur coat

Not worth the price. Bose are similarily over priced. It all depends on the type of music you listen to and the quality of your source, but you can do better for much cheaper.

The Audio-Technica ATH-M50 are often the most highly recommended, and you should be able grab a pair just north of €100. If that's too steep a pair Creative Aurvana Live's would be a good bet. You should be able to get change from €60 for them, and they are essentially a rebranded pair of Denon D1001's.

Both of those pairs would offer a similar emphasis on bass, but it would be better controlled and be more true to the original recording.

Is there any jump in sound quality that can justify a price increase of €400??

Not unless you produce music. But you would notice the difference alright. Wouldn't be worth the extra money for just casual listening though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Bose Quiet Comfort are worth the money for anyone who flies frequently. Oh they've gotten me through so many flights...

• Advertisement

So in other words people don't think Heaslip should be captain because he isn't wearing knickers:confused: Also were is his fur coat

Now there's a rabbit hole I'm sure none of us want to venture into...

Jamie Heaslip or Wayne Rooney?

1237594_579548595425668_1668154593_n.jpg

Infact P.Walnuts, if you want I'll recommend a few sets for you based on a budget.

.ak wrote: »
    Infact P.Walnuts, if you want I'll recommend a few sets for you based on a budget.

Cheers, i'm not actually looking for a new pair, it's just I couldn't find my cheap Sony pair so borrowed my housemates Beats and noticed precisely no difference (to my very untrained ear)....

Was just curious to see if people who are into music more than I am would have a different POI.....it seems to be that cosumers these days are buying more and more for a brand appeal rather than what you are actually getting for your money. An iPhone is manufactured for about $210, yet sold for about $600, even with margins for the retailers that's a very steep mark up. Your are essentially paying to be part of the Apple family, not the hardware itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Cheers, i'm not actually looking for a new pair, it's just I couldn't find my cheap Sony pair so borrowed my housemates Beats and noticed precisely no difference (to my very untrained ear)....

Was just curious to see if people who are into music more than I am would have a different POI.....it seems to be that cosumers these days are buying more and more for a brand appeal rather than what you are actually getting for your money. An iPhone is manufactured for about $210, yet sold for about $600, even with margins for the retailers that's a very steep mark up. Your are essentially paying to be part of the Apple family, not the hardware itself.

Being part of the Apple family includes its software which is its main selling point. The average iPhone user couldn't care less about the hardware. As long as it works and it's familiar. Give someone a new windows phone with amazing specs and see how much they hate it.

• Advertisement

Being part of the Apple family includes its software which is its main selling point. The average iPhone user couldn't care less about the hardware. As long as it works and it's familiar. Give someone a new windows phone with amazing specs and see how much they hate it.

Not exactly something you should be paying top dollar for though is it?

I wouldn't really consider the software much of a selling point as iOS7 essentially just added a tonne of features from Android and adopted a more WP8/Jellybean like flat appearance.

The selling point is mainly the brand, but it is followed by the app store. As Apple also makes all of the phones that run iOS, so it doesn't have Android's fragmentation either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just on the headphone thing, does anyone know any good fold up ones?

I have my GTA.

Hurry up and install dammit! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Cheers for the advice and comments re: the interview lads, feeling a bit better about it now. Definitely not getting the job though :D

Anyway, I dipped a toe into the headphone market in the last few months and bought a pair of these. Good purchase I reckon, liking them a lot.

Some massive tunes in the new GTA

Can we please stop talking about GTA? Thanks. :(

My favourite track from, eh.. the new Great Turtle Action 5 game so far is this...

Although the original is better!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

TDM added Buffalo Bills DEF and dropped Kansas City Chiefs DEF

I'm a ****ing moron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭OldRio

Had a great night out with the wife last night. Saw Tommy Tiernan in concert in Lough Rynn Castle, Mohill, County Leitrim. Very very funny. Highly recommended.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement