Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Is this possibly the biggest scramble for tickets of an all Ireland? The fever-pitch level for tickets seems to be bigger than any I remember?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Have to say I REALLY REALLY don't like Tommy Tiernan.

I think he's funny. I just get tired of the shouting really quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭OldRio

How unsurprising.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Saw him once in Vicar Street and it was cringe worthy. It got so bad that one guy stood up in the middle of it and called him a racist. Loads of people then walked out. Tiernan went into a mad rant and left the stage for about 10 minutes to cool off. It was just a tirade of racial abuse that no one was laughing at. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

.ak wrote: »
    Is this possibly the biggest scramble for tickets of an all Ireland? The fever-pitch level for tickets seems to be bigger than any I remember?

In my memory, yes. The Mayo contingent are going mental for tickets and Dublin will always do so on the basis of sheer population. My missus has brothers that are lifelong GAA members and players for their club and, in the last few years, for Mayo minors. None of them have a ticket yet. There is every trick in the book being pulled and every favour being called in by bandwagon jumpers who haven't been to a game all year.

Buer wrote: »
    In my memory, yes. The Mayo contingent are going mental for tickets and Dublin will always do so on the basis of sheer population. My missus has brothers that are lifelong GAA members and players for their club and, in the last few years, for Mayo minors. None of them have a ticket yet. There is every trick in the book being pulled and every favour being called in by bandwagon jumpers who haven't been to a game all year.

Yeah.. I work for one of the sponsors and am constantly getting hounded for them. I can't even get them myself through work!

I first saw TT about 15 years ago. Didn't have a clue who he was. He was absolutely hilarious. Possibly the funniest stand up piece I've ever seen about his school days and the fear of being called on in class. Genuine tears of laughter. A few years later, he exploded and I still found him very funny but not as intensely hilarious.

Then he did his next tour and I saw the DVD. A few chuckles but he had descended into the shock value approach.

Was bought tickets for his show about 2-3 years ago and went along. Majorly disappointed. It was simply boring. Ended up shifting in my seat uncomfortably for it to end.

The bloke is undoubtedly talented as a storyteller but has definitely lost his focus somewhere along the way. There's also the fact that every act has its day and people get tired eventually. It's near impossible for a stage act to remain consistently funny for 20 years.

Well no racism last night I'm glad to say. I've seen a few stand up comics in my time but last night was the best.
    At one stage we had tears running down our faces.
    I do agree about comics having their time. I remember seeing Billy Connolly in the mid 70's and I may have made wee wee a little. Hysterically funny.
    Seen him again a few years ago. Meh.

• Advertisement

BC was always an extremely funny comedian to me but I lost interest in him when he made some really, really tasteless remarks in relation to Ken Bigley 10 years ago. For those that remember, Bigley was being held by extremists in Iraq, where he had been working as a contractor. Obviously, the threat at that point was beheading and videos were being released online by the militants of Bigley in captivity. The situation was at a stand off for several weeks as the British government tried to negotiate his release.

Connolly was touring at the time. One night, he was rambling as he tends to and the topic of the situation in Iraq somehow crept into his mind's eye. He brought up Bigley and announced "Don't we all just wish they'd f*cking get it done with and chop his head off?" Crowd was appalled. One or two shouted at the state with one man reported as remaining standing and shouting "This is a man's life you're talking about, Billy" to which he retorted "F*ck off". Bigley was beheaded several days later.

I could never see him in the same light after that.

Won't lie, I'm kind of having the same reaction to the APL/French V Heineken Cup debacle. I can't read the thread on it any more. I wish it was just over and done with.

Also, Dylan Moran is great!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I like Dylan Moran but Dara O'Briain would be my favourite by a fairly hefty margin. His stand up is absolutely brilliant and he is exceedingly quite on his feet with improv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Probably the best I've seen live would be Ross Noble. He's just incredibly quick and works with anything. I had to step outside for a moment because my mouth was sore from laughing so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

My no.1 at the moment, and it changes quite frequently, is Micky Flanagan.

• Advertisement

dregin wrote: »
    Won't lie, I'm kind of having the same reaction to the APL/French V Heineken Cup debacle. I can't read the thread on it any more. I wish it was just over and done with.

Off topic but Irishbusfan liking this post made me laugh:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Who's with me that John Bishop is the worst comedian (to make a fairly successful career) of the past decade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Who's with me that John Bishop is the worst comedian (to make a fairly successful career) of the past decade?

michael-mcintyre-pic-john-ferguson-91685517-212585.jpg

I'd prefer to give the title to someone like Russell Howard.

Andy Parson's would be my vote

• Advertisement

michael-mcintyre-pic-john-ferguson-91685517-212585.jpg

McIntyre is fairly funny I think...

Several leagues ahead of Bishop.

Him and Neil Delamare are a good indication of how a mainstream TV show can destroy a comedian. They used to almost churn out the exact same horrible lazy jokes each week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah.. I work for one of the sponsors and am constantly getting hounded for them. I can't even get them myself through work!

Girl in work landed two from a client.

He couldn't be any further from Mayo and seemed to have a few handy!

Will they be showing the game on UK tv?

I know they have done in the past, it would be much easier for me than having to hunt the game down online.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Girl in work landed two from a client.

He couldn't be any further from Mayo and seemed to have a few handy!

Wait, wouldn't that put him in Dublin? That'd explain a lot. :D

Will they be showing the game on UK tv?

I know they have done in the past, it would be much easier for me than having to hunt the game down online.

Details for last year's finals: http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/1909121600-where-to-watch-the-all-ireland-football-finals/

Might be good indicator of what's available this time round.

Premier TV which is on satellite are showing the game. I would imagine any good Irish bar in your location will subscribe to premier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Not exactly something you should be paying top dollar for though is it?

User experience and aesthetics are worth far more than people realise, and Apple are second to none in both of those facets. My point is that you are not just paying for the hardware at all. They make overpriced products, but those products are utterly amazing. I am an android user so I'm not a fan boy, it just irritates me how anti-apple people are seemingly because of their popularity.

I'm not anti-Apple, they are a well run company. I just think their products are over-priced and not very good. Really its their users I can't stand!

That and the fact that their products are made by a company that exploits it's workers horribly.

Hagz wrote: »
    That and the fact that their products are made by a company that exploits it's workers horribly.

Unfortunately, I imagine Samsung et al aren't much better.

• Advertisement

Grimebox wrote: »
    User experience and aesthetics are worth far more than people realise, and Apple are second to none in both of those facets. My point is that you are not just paying for the hardware at all. They make overpriced products, but those products are utterly amazing. I am an android user so I'm not a fan boy, it just irritates me how anti-apple people are seemingly because of their popularity.

I'm sorry you've lost me. If something is over priced, for me it means you are paying more than what the product/service you are receiving is worth.

I'm not anti Apple at all, why would I be. Just find it odd that people will pay over the odds, not for the product they receive, but to be part of the Apple fraternity.

I love my Mac and iphone. Probably a bit over priced alright but I'd breakdown if I lost either of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Saw Seann Walsh on Comedy Central the other day (somehow he has two new shows) and I find it incredible he has forged a career for himself in comedy. His jokes are rarely funny but even when they are his delivery is shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'm not anti-Apple, they are a well run company. I just think their products are over-priced and not very good. Really its their users I can't stand!

Not very good? They're not the eight wonder of the world as some fanatics seem to suggest, but I think the actual products are pretty good (if overpriced)

I love my Mac and iphone. Probably a bit over priced alright but I'd breakdown if I lost either of them!

Marketing win right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

You are now the Delon Armitage of this thread :)

Thing is I had neither up until a few weeks ago. Couldn't understand the appeal of Macs especially until I started using one consistently

None of that PC bull****!

Tox56 wrote: »
    Not very good? They're not the eight wonder of the world as some fanatics seem to suggest, but I think the actual products are pretty good (if overpriced)

It depends what you want them for I guess. I find the lack of customization and the seeming phobia of settings menus incredibly frustrating and tiresome. From almost creating the market they've completely stagnated features wise and are slowing dribbling in improvements that the equivalent Droid phones have had for a few years.

And I ****ing despise gadgets with proprietary connectors.

And I ****ing despise gadgets with proprietary connectors.

I don't know what this means and I don't want to know.

That's why I have a mac.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Hagz wrote: »
    I don't know what this means and I don't want to know.

That's why I have a mac.

It's illegal to unlock iPhones or something to that effect. You cannot do what you want with hardware you have bought

I meant the charger/USB connector. Which isn't microUSB like EVERY OTHER DEVICE ON THE PLANET. Lightning connector me hoop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I meant the charger/USB connector. Which isn't microUSB like EVERY OTHER DEVICE ON THE PLANET. Lightning connector me hoop.

That is the worst thing about apple. Its like they're being purposely obtuse. And the Iphone 4 and 5 have different chargers, totally ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

You are now the Delon Armitage of this thread :)

Delon Armitage Shítehawk Experience doesn't quite have the same ring to it though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

P_1 wrote: »
    Delon Armitage Shítehawk Experience doesn't quite have the same ring to it though :P

I dunno, he's due a reincarnation! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Their products work though. My other half twisted my arm some time back to get an iMac, I had resisted since forever. Have never regretted it.

On the other hand, my laptop running Windows 7 is slow, needs regular maintenance to stop it slowing to a crawl, has to have antivirus & antispam, and is much more likely to crash than my iMac. I'll definitely buy a Macbook Air the next time I buy a laptop.

The Apple products are over-priced, that is their main fault, but everything is plug & play, runs smoothly between the various devices, and most importantly has the relevant apps for my profession, which all my colleagues can use too.

• Advertisement

Apples work because Apple control everything from start to finish. Of course it runs smoother than windows. I could put together a computer from my local scrap heap and get windows to run on it. Apple are not only expensive to buy they are a nightmare if something goes wrong and has to be fixed or if you want to upgrade it. And Apple products are only convenient if every single one of your gadgets is an apple product. And you don't like video games (this is likely were my initial dislike of apple stemmed from :p)

For PCs, if your answer is Windows or MacOS then you're wrong.

For mobile devices, I think iOS makes things much easier for people who don't want to get messy with their phones... Which is 95% of people!

For PCs, if your answer is Windows or MacOS then you're wrong.

Well no...cause games. All the games.

Well no...cause games. All the games.

I believe Steam are trying to push games to Linux. Which is brilliant. The last real reason to go anywhere near Microsoft.

They can push it all they want. The vast majority of games are never going to be designed for Linux.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement