Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

For PCs, if your answer is Windows or MacOS then you're wrong.

For mobile devices, I think iOS makes things much easier for people who don't want to get messy with their phones... Which is 95% of people!

The lastest windows os is pretty nice, quite straight forward to use.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Burgo wrote: »
    The lastest windows os is pretty nice, quite straight forward to use.

Windows 8? I think its godawful (as do most people).

Windows 7 and Windows XP were bought very good OSs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Podge_irl wrote: »
    They can push it all they want. The vast majority of games are never going to be designed for Linux.

Not in the near future anyway, unfortunately. But things like this give me hope: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/09/gabe-newell-linux-is-the-future-of-gaming-new-hardware-coming-soon/

Windows 8? I think its godawful (as do most people).

Windows 7 and Windows XP were bought very good OSs.

Sorry I was referring to the mobile version! Whatever version nokia are using seems pretty nifty.

Not in the near future anyway, unfortunately. But things like this give me hope: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/09/gabe-newell-linux-is-the-future-of-gaming-new-hardware-coming-soon/

Yeah yeah thats great and all but where the hells my half life 3!

Sorry I was referring to the mobile version! Whatever version nokia are using seems pretty nifty.

Probably a version of Windows 8. Microsoft inexplicably thought that we'd all like a mobile OS on our desktops.

But it will never take off because the vast majority of people, even PC gamers, don't want to have to deal with Linux. Its simply never going to be a popular enough platform - hell Apple's big USP is that its even simpler than Windows.

Yeah yeah thats great and all but where the hells my half life 3!

I'd make do with bloody HL2:Episode 3!!!!

Probably a version of Windows 8. Microsoft inexplicably thought that we'd all like a mobile OS on our desktops.

But it will never take off because the vast majority of people, even PC gamers, don't want to have to deal with Linux. Its simply never going to be a popular enough platform - hell Apple's big USP is that its even simpler than Windows.

Linux is easy! :)

Actually there are builds of Linux which are easier than any of them now.

How is the linux support for drivers? Graphics drivers used to be impossible to get.

Linux is easy! :)

Actually there are builds of Linux which are easier than any of them now.

I have no problem with it! I think its perfectly easy (though I genuinely prefer Windows), but you and I aren't representative of the population at large. Even if it is actually easier, the novelty of it and its small market share would take a phenomenal effort to overturn - one I don't think will ever happen. Its just not worth developer's time to make something work on Linux (which isn't helped by the multiple different versions of Unix/Linux/whateverthe**** available).

• Advertisement

How is the linux support for drivers? Graphics drivers used to be impossible to get.

One of our techier friends spent several hours trying to get games running on his unix machine via wine (the emulator, not the alcoholic beverage) at one of our LANs. It didn't end well. Though this was obviously years ago when LANs were still a thing!

One of our techier friends spent several hours trying to get games running on his unix machine via wine (the emulator, not the alcoholic beverage) at one of our LANs. It didn't end well. Though this was obviously years ago when LANs were still a thing!

Lans are still a thing! Yeah i remember trying to get wine to work with cs, it also didnt end well.

I've found getting Netflix to work is a pain as well. Again thanks to stupid Microsoft.

Lans are still a thing! Yeah i remember trying to get wine to work with cs, it also didnt end well.

Yeah, but they're just not the same since proper broadband came around (and one could argue since I grew up and didn't fancy playing games for 24 hours).

LANs were fecking great though. I was at the last ever Darkside all those years ago.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I got higher FPS playing TF2 in ubuntu using that gaming fork of wine than I did in windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

What is on the Late Late right now is making me shake with anger. They use our licence fee to promote **** like this?

Edit: In fact in hindsight it was worth it. Maybe it will drive the witches away.

What is it?

Mother of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

What is on the Late Late right now is making me shake with anger. They use our licence fee to promote **** like this?

Child pageants just make me really angry.These young girls are growing up thinking all that matters is looking "pretty",and that if they don't win it's because they're not "pretty" enough.Also,the paparazzi following these kids around are super creepy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Hagz wrote: »
    I don't know what this means and I don't want to know.

That's why I have a mac.

It means they get to charge tens of euros for cables that probably cost them cents to manufacture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Swan Curry wrote: »
    Child pageants just make me really angry.These young girls are growing up thinking all that matters is looking "pretty",and that if they don't win it's because they're not "pretty" enough.Also,the paparazzi following these kids around are super creepy.

The most disgusting part of it was that there is an Irish woman involved that has bought into it. Everyone knows 'Merica has a weird/effed up cesspool of people (the price of universal freedom!), these two women are two of many but to see an Irish woman with them is depressing to say the least.

The most disgusting part of it was that there is an Irish woman involved that has bought into it. Everyone knows 'Merica has a weird/effed up cesspool of people (the price of universal freedom!), these two women are two of many but to see an Irish woman with them is depressing to say the least.

Yeah,there's enough young girls in Ireland with serious body image issues without even more crap like this normalising it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

that made me very angry

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah,there's enough young girls in Ireland with serious body image issues without even more crap like this normalising it.

Lads Mags are the problem though, it's all the Lads Mags fault!!!

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Lads Mags are the problem though, it's all the Lads Mags fault!!!

The problems with Lad's mags are a fairly different issue to child beauty pageants,but ok then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The problems with Lad's mags are a fairly different issue to child beauty pageants,but ok then.

I'm only taking the piss.

You're right about the pageants but Lads Mags cos they've boobs in them are deemed far worse. In comparisson to some of the wimmins mags it's not true!

I'm only taking the piss.

You're right about the pageants but Lads Mags cos they've boobs in them are deemed far worse. In comparisson to some of the wimmins mags it's not true!

Most criticisms of lad's mags are because of how they often use quite predatory tones when talking about women.Women's magazines promote celebrity culture but lad's mags can sometimes promote rape culture,something a lot more sinister.

It's Friday night and I'm discussing misogyny on a rugby forum.How cool am I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

There is a bit of hypocrisy about the lads mags and the girlie mags though. Basically a lads mag shows a topless woman = tis a disgrace Joe, a girlie mag shows a topless man = lovely some eye candy for the gurls.

On the child pageants. Firstly, having worked for the man who owns the hotel where it was meant to be hosted I have to say that I was shocked that we found something that he'd be willing to turn down money about. Secondly, sadly foolishness like that by the parents is sadly not a thing that is exclusive to America. Thirdly, and perhaps slightly controversially, it seemed to me that the mother in question (the Irish one) is of a nomadic background listening to her accent. Suffice to say, there is an entirely different culture among them in relation to children (particularly daughters) but perhaps that's a canoworms to open another day.

Most criticisms of lad's mags are because of how they often use quite predatory tones when talking about women.Women's magazines promote celebrity culture but lad's mags can sometimes promote rape culture,something a lot more sinister.

It's Friday night and I'm discussing misogyny on a rugby forum.How cool am I?

Rape culture! Really?

Rape culture! Really?

Are you now going to pretend it doesn't exist?

• Advertisement

WTF is Rape Culture???

dregin wrote: »
    WTF is Rape Culture???

I think its some extreme feminist logic that implies that by simply seeing women dressed 'provocatively' some men are programmed to automatically rape. Tis a strange logic but there ye go

Found the wiki page, yes.

Ever hear someone say "She wasn't raped,she was asking for it,look how she was dressed!","She couldn't have been raped,she's a slut." or "Real men can't be raped,only weak men are raped"?These are all examples of how rape is trivialised by both men and women in society and how it allows rape to occur by not challenging the people who commit the acts and blaming the victims instead.It's not "weird feminist logic" and it never says that men are automatically programmed to rape,I don't even know how you managed to misinterpret that.

I don't really know to be honest. I wasn't questioning you, more surprised at what you said.

It certainly doesn't exist in my circle anyway.

Rape is such an awful thing that it disturbs me when accusations of it are thrown about. I've never seen it mocked or encouraged in Lads Mags but then again I'm not an expert in this field.

anyway totp
    i3f63b.gif

Nothing better than dog gifs :D

77.gif.pagespeed.ce.azPy9TgPNX.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Is this the first heated debate in the off topic thread ? I'm pretty sure fishooks intended this to be a place of love!

Ah a few harsh words to correct a misconception isn't really things getting heated though DelonUgo :P

The whole 'she/he asked for it' argument is total bolloxology IMO when it comes to rape to be honest

Never mind Fishooks, he's always been a bad influence on you!

On the lighter side of Late Late Show topics,did anyone else see that psychic cow?That must have been one of the stranger moments of the LLS.I bet that's the first time Tubridy has ever near a farm animal outside of a petting zoo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Is this another traveller bashing thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Is this the first heated debate in the off topic thread ? I'm pretty sure fishooks intended this to be a place of love!

The off-topic thread was one of trouttrout's/fishooks1-12's finest contributions to the forum IMO. It's one of the thread's I never unsubscribe to, you don't know what'll get thrown up for discussion.

Speaking of beauty pageants, when we lived in Cork (admittedly during the Celtic Tiger years), I was shocked at the amount of time/effort/money sunk into First Communion outfits for the wee ones. I got the impression the actual First Communion was the least important thing about the day. NZ is not really a Catholic country, though, so it might just have been culture shock!

Swiwi. wrote: »
    The off-topic thread was one of trouttrout's/fishooks1-12's finest contributions to the forum IMO. It's one of the thread's I never unsubscribe to, you don't know what'll get thrown up for discussion.

Speaking of beauty pageants, when we lived in Cork (admittedly during the Celtic Tiger years), I was shocked at the amount of time/effort/money sunk into First Communion outfits for the wee ones. I got the impression the actual First Communion was the least important thing about the day. NZ is not really a Catholic country, though, so it might just have been culture shock!

It's a pain in the arse. It gets ridiculous when you see horse drawn carriages & stretch limos taking kids to the church.
    It's tacky & very much along the lines of the beauty pageants people complain about.
    Kids with spray tans & all that make up as if they're going to Coppers.
    Not a fan at all.

TCM on channel 317 & 318 for the plus1 channel are showing Rocky I - V today
    "Adrieeennnne!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

TCM on channel 317 & 318 for the plus1 channel are showing Rocky I - V today
    "Adrieeennnne!"

Awesome!!!

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yo, Paulie!

The Italian stallion :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Just got onto season 6 of Sopranos. How have I never gotten through this before. Its brilliant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭student1990

Up Mayo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Up Mayo!

Sorry I think you will find it is "Up Dublin"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭student1990

GAA suffers when Dublin do well..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement