Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The Unit was good for a bit of brainless light entertainment too back in the day. Shame it got canned after the four seasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

BB
    The Wire
    West wing

House series 1-4 was brilliant, what I've seen of Mad Men has been up there, and I loved Friday Night Lights.

I've never seen the Sopranos but it's on my to do list.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The Shield was excellent. I've never been a big TV person really, but GoT and The Walking Dead are both must watch for me. Loved the first season of Newsroom as well but the second season hasn't lived up to it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Am I the only one who would be glad to see the back of Arthur's Day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Hagz wrote: »

Everybody is hating on Arthurs Day this year. I'd imagine they'll give it a rest after this year for a season or two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Pure marketing built on zero tradition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭student1990

walking dead is garbage, first season was pretty good but jesus it jumped the shark.

dexter series 1-2 were very good. the rest of it was crap enough apart from season 4 which was good.

this is england is brillant, top boy is good but not on that level. Channel 4 does some good stuff.

Looking forward to going out but more because of the people who im going out with rather than because its arthurs day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

walking dead is garbage, first season was pretty good but jesus it jumped the shark.

dexter series 1-2 were very good. the rest of it was crap enough apart from season 4 which was good.

I'd even go as far to say only episode one of the first season is any good

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Heard Diageo's PR man on Morning Ireland today trying to claim it was a celebration of the pub, while Diageo have been insisting bars cover up non-diageo taps. **** that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's a marketing stunt and a very well executed one at that. Some of the justifications for it are a bit laughable though

P_1 wrote: »
    It's a marketing stunt and a very well executed one at that. Some of the justifications for it are a bit laughable though

In what way? (haven't heard anything about it at all really!)

In what way? (haven't heard anything about it at all really!)

Back before they thought of it there would have been no way you'd see people crowding into pubs on a Thursday evening in September skulling pints of stout, seems to be an annual event now to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Really want more info on this, could be very interesting.

Also 2 more announcements this week from valve.

P_1 wrote: »
    Back before they thought of it there would have been no way you'd see people crowding into pubs on a Thursday evening in September skulling pints of stout, seems to be an annual event now to be honest.

AH crossed wires.

Actually I think the whole thing is really good. We need more excuses for events like it! I wonder if it didn't nearly conflict with the beginning of the Oktoberfest would they have made a bigger song and dance about it. Seems like the Americans should be going mad for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I think the last thing this country needs is another excuse to get wasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

I think I was harsh on breaking bad earlier. It certainly does things that not many tv shows have the balls today, tonights episode was mad

People don't need an excuse, at least its happening in pubs and people are spending money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Walking Dead is the only TV series where I want everyone to die.

I'll drink to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Re: Arthurs day. It's just a celebration conjured up by an organization to help promote their product. But then again so are Christmas, Hanukah and Ramadan. However at least we can prove Arthur actually existed.

Re: Steam OS. It's an interesting one. It's lack of a back log is initially going to hurt it but by the end of this generation of consoles it could be the biggest player due to the lack of having to wait for a new hardware jump

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'll admit I'm intrigued, but I still think it will take a lot to fundamentally alter the current environment.

For one, the ability to swap out and update hardware is exactly what most couch gamers don't want. They want their machine to run every new release with no faffing about. Also, the current selection of Linux games for Steam is anaemic to say the least.

Re: Arthurs day. It's just a celebration conjured up by an organization to help promote their product. But then again so are Christmas, Hanukah and Ramadan. However at least we can prove Arthur actually existed.

I really don't understand the hate it gets. You don't want to partake? Fine, don't. But complaining that its just a marketing gimmick is bit stupid - of course it is. Its their job to sell Guinness and they're good at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I really don't understand the hate it gets. You don't want to partake? Fine, don't. But complaining that its just a marketing gimmick is bit stupid - of course it is. Its their job to sell Guinness and they're good at it.

Haters gonna hate !

I hate it purely because I can never get to it ! :D

Emergency services saw a 30% increase in demand on Arthur's Day last year. Reason enough for it to **** away off.

Mostly I hate it because Diageo are complete and utter *****: http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/diageo-v-brewdog

dregin wrote: »
    Emergency services saw a 30% increase in demand on Arthur's Day last year. Reason enough for it to **** away off.

The same is unfortunately true of any major event though.

I'm not suggesting Diageo are all sweetness and light either. But the vehemence people seem to feel for them just trying to sell their product is a bit odd to my mind.

• Advertisement

The same is unfortunately true of any major event though.

I'm not suggesting Diageo are all sweetness and light either. But the vehemence people seem to feel for them just trying to sell their product is a bit odd to my mind.

Yep, all the focus seems to be on them yet no one is asking why so many people are willing to go out and get pissed on a Thursday night (says the guy who's taking Friday off for that exact reason :D)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

always sunny is fantastic. nine seasons in and funnier than ever. shouldn't be meetings in the same breath as himym.

I forced myself to watch two seasons of the wire and will eventually coerce myself into watching the rest but is not a show I really enjoy. justified is the business though.

Mostly I hate it because Diageo are complete and utter *****: http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/diageo-v-brewdog

On another note. Brewdog are awesome, their bars are great little places

I'll admit I'm intrigued, but I still think it will take a lot to fundamentally alter the current environment.

For one, the ability to swap out and update hardware is exactly what most couch gamers don't want. They want their machine to run every new release with no faffing about. Also, the current selection of Linux games for Steam is anaemic to say the least.

Yeah but if you're able to stream the non-Linux games then suddenly you've got yourself a great selection.

The thing is, they're not *just* trying to sell their product. They're pushing other products off the shelf completely by making pubs cover up non-diageo taps.

**** it anyway. TO THE BREW DOCK!

On another note. Brewdog are awesome, their bars are great little places

Honestly not a fan of any of their beers that I've tasted to date, but they do seem to be a cool crowd.

• Advertisement

Honestly not a fan of any of their beers that I've tasted to date, but they do seem to be a cool crowd.

I would suggest going in to one of their bars some day when you get a chance. The one in Camden in London is the one I like. Then tell them what you like and they'll find you something, not necessarilly a BrewDog beer. The great thing about those places is that the bar staff are generally very sharp on their beers.

I'm surprised there isn't a BrewDog in Dublin yet actually!

Same here. Like what they're doing, but not mad on their beers. Still have a very 'commercially viable' taste to them. Their IPA is nice enough tho.

I would suggest going in to one of their bars some day when you get a chance. The one in Camden in London is the one I like. Then tell them what you like and they'll find you something, not necessarilly a BrewDog beer. The great thing about those places is that the bar staff are generally very sharp on their beers.

I'm surprised there isn't a BrewDog in Dublin yet actually!

Nothing good ever works here.

The Diageo comms team were out in force on radio yesterday. Some spin being churned out, reminded me of that film Thank You for Smoking with Aaron Eckhart

.ak wrote: »
    Same here. Like what they're doing, but not mad on their beers. Still have a very 'commercially viable' taste to them. Their IPA is nice enough tho.

Which of their beers did you try?

• Advertisement

What is this "Brewdog"?

Which of their beers did you try?

Punk & Hardcore IPAs and the 5am Saint. May have tried the Dead Pony one but not sure.. I'd like to try the dogma one, sounds nice.

I'm a big weiss beer fan, and unfortunately they haven't stretched into that market, which is disappointing. :(

Galway Bay have us spoilt for craft beer bars now.

A mate works in W.J. Kavanaghs on Dorset street. Their set up (and that of sister pub, Mulligans in Stoneybatter) is pretty awesome. They send him all over the UK looking for new beers and sourcing the best equipment.

Their tasting nights are quite awesome too ;)

So stop being a moaning Michael AK :P

What is this "Brewdog"?

Sort of 'independent' crowd that make some cool beers based on what's popular in the craft movement and have some unique marketing to go with it, they also run a chain of pubs which are apparently fantastic from what I've heard.

They're also famous for making some ridiculously strong ales, like 40+% stuff or something. You drink it like liquor...

Fall on the darker side of the fence myself. Seem to have a bit of a gluten intolerance when it comes to the weiss beers - one pint and my stomach's bloated.

Can't beat McGrath's Red Ale. This is one Northern beer awec should be trying to force upon us instead of poisoning us with that other... "beer". :)

http://www.drinkstore.ie/Mc-Grath%27s-Irish-Red-Ale-%231-500ML-5060188280019/

Galway Bay have us spoilt for craft beer bars now.

A mate works in W.J. Kavanaghs on Dorset street. Their set up (and that of sister pub, Mulligans in Stoneybatter) is pretty awesome. They send him all over the UK looking for new beers and sourcing the best equipment.

Their tasting nights are quite awesome too ;)

So stop being a moaning Michael AK :P

I didn't mean we don't have good pubs here, just that any sort of under the radar branded franchises never really work over here.

I live beside Kavanaghs and it's great. Other pubs with great selections are The Twisted Pepper, Against the Grain and the top of the list is the Black Sheep, who serve REAL craft beer (not marketed stuff), and have pumps!

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

:D

There are bars that sell brew dog in Belfast. Great stuff.

You can usually buy their stuff down here in Superquinn in the craft / world beers section.

Anyone else here drink Bucky? I think it's my favorite alcoholic beverage. They sell it in pubs in Galway by the glass so I hear

I've only ever seen it in the twister pepper in Dublin

.ak wrote: »
    I didn't mean we don't have good pubs here, just that any sort of under the radar branded franchises never really work over here.

I live beside Kavanaghs and it's great. Other pubs with great selections are The Twisted Pepper, Against the Grain and the top of the list is the Black Sheep, who serve REAL craft beer (not marketed stuff), and have pumps!

Nixon gets beers into Kavanaghs from brewers down the country that won't actually give it to anyone else. They've got at least 3 cask taps too!

@awec pretty sure all the craft bars sell brew dog here. I've seen it in at least 8 bars.

Anyone else here drink Bucky? I think it's my favorite alcoholic beverage. They sell it in pubs in Galway by the glass so I hear

I've only ever seen it in the twister pepper in Dublin

You've never been to Fibbers?!?!?!?!?!?!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement