Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Today's children are going to be the adult generation of 2025, so perhaps it's doable.
    It would cost the state a fortune in both lost revenue & withdrawal meds. Be they nicotine patches, gum, e cigs etc. But personally, I do think it's doable.

It easily pays itself off. Smokers are disproportionately represented in hospital, and the chemotherapy drugs, cardiac stents, stroke rehab, below knee amputations, throat cancer operations etc all cost money ++.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Swiwi. wrote: »
    It easily pays itself off. Smokers are disproportionately represented in hospital, and the chemotherapy drugs, cardiac stents, stroke rehab, below knee amputations, throat cancer operations etc all cost money ++.

Agreed, I meant the initial outlay that would be needed to get the smokers onto patches & the loss of revenue to the exchequer, but over the next 10 years, the amount saved due to better lifestyles would be huge.
    Kinda glad I never smoked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Thomond I can't reply to you, delete some of your inbox...

> thomond2006 has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

I guess I should congratulate Kiwi singer Ella Yelich-O'Connor (Lorde) on getting NZ's first ever #1 on the US billboard Hot 100 with her single Royals. She displaced Miley Cyrus, so that should make everyone grateful... Not exactly my style of music, but fairplay to her. And with O'Connor as her surname, well now, there must a bit of the Irish in her...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

I guess I should congratulate Kiwi singer Ella Yelich-O'Connor (Lorde) on getting NZ's first ever #1 on the US billboard Hot 100 with her single Royals. She displaced Miley Cyrus, so that should make everyone grateful... Not exactly my style of music, but fairplay to her. And with O'Connor as her surname, well now, there must a bit of the Irish in her...

Right someone may aswell get it out of the way and post a pic of her and make a Phil Lynott joke on the above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Ya that Royals track is decent. Kind of a generic spin on the likes of Grimes/Purity Ring/James Blake stuff but still a lot more interesting than a lot of the current chart music

Ya that Royals track is decent. Kind of a generic spin on the likes of Grimes/Purity Ring/James Blake stuff but still a lot more interesting than a lot of the current chart music

Perfect music for under those Beat headphones that Heaslip wears ;)

That really annoying song "How Bizarre" by OMC made the US top 40 at #1, but because it was never released as a single it didn't feature on the US Billboard Top 100. The poor guy who made that song squandered a considerable fortune and died in his 40s from alcohol-related issues IIRC. Couldn't stand the song though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Wouldn't call myself a fan of chart-related stuff in general, but have been listening to HAIM a lot recently. Not sure of the production quality on their debut album, Days Are Gone, but the songs come across amazingly well live. Worth a look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

[goes youtubing song to pretend he is hip and knows what people are talking about]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

[goes youtubing song to pretend he is hip and knows what people are talking about]

Glad it's not just me then.....but in my defense, I'm more hip replacement than hip these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Balls. Didn't realize I have TNF players and left Fred Jackson on my bench. 21 points down the drain!

Lorde is the youngest person to have a number 1 since Tiffany. Now if you can remember Tiffany (I can) then you know you're getting old...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

. Now if you can remember Tiffany (I can)

I think you're alone there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think you're alone there.

tumblr_inline_mr4fxokfTR1qz4rgp.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Balls. Didn't realize I have TNF players and left Fred Jackson on my bench. 21 points down the drain!

Would you have started him?

Would you have started him?

Probably would have started him at flex ahead of Powell. Because Jets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Well done to Afghanistan for qualifying for cricket World Cup! I think ireland have already qualified, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Looking like a no vote in the senate. Can't believe it. They'll never agree on a reform and it will stay the way it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Well done to Afghanistan for qualifying for cricket World Cup! I think ireland have already qualified, no?

Ireland are in I believe. Fair play to he Afghans, they've made serious strides.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Looking like a no vote in the senate. Can't believe it. They'll never agree on a reform and it will stay the way it is.

I truly hope that if there is a no vote (which I would prefer) that they do acknowledge that something has to be done about it. Simply removing the Taoiseach's picks would be a big start or actually using them to put actual experts rather than failed politicians in the chamber.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I truly hope that if there is a no vote (which I would prefer) that they do acknowledge that something has to be done about it. Simply removing the Taoiseach's picks would be a big start or actually using them to put actual experts rather than failed politicians in the chamber.

Yeah. It's not working at the moment but what if it was operated and filled as it was meant to be. Would it work then?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Yeah. It's not working at the moment but what if it was operated and filled as it was meant to be. Would it work then?

But what purpose is the senate meant to serve? Some sort of a talking shop?

As a second house made up of people from outside the political spectrum to act as an additional place of review and discussion for bills and proposals.

Of course this has completely become a farce. 47 of 60 senators are from the major political parties and are merely using it as a halfway house. The senate is unable to halt any bills. They can review and delay but the Dail has any definitive call.

I fully expect it to be out of mind now and the status quo to prevail.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's meant to be a secondary advisory and revision house.

"a Dáil Bill must be examined also by Seanad Éireann is a safeguard against legislation being enacted too quickly. In addition to its legislative role, Seanad Éireann also debates important issues.

Indeed, as the Government is constitutionally responsible to Dáil Éireann, Seanad Éireann can debate these issues with greater freedom because the fate of the Government will not be at stake."

http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/about/seanad/

My problem, and I think most peoples, is that it's full of ex or wannabe TD's when "In theory, Seanad Éireann does not recognise party affiliations" it does in reality.

Edit: Feargal Quinn has an interesting piece on his website about it all:
    http://www.feargalquinn.ie/index.php/News/Publications/Keep-the-Seanad-Senator-Feargal-Quinn-insists-Upper-House-IS-working

• Advertisement

Are The RubberBandits the adult version of Jedward?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

No,they're completely different.Jedward think they're proper singers(sadly),whereas the Rubberbandits write songs for comedic purposes.

But... Have you ever seen them in the same place?

Ha, no I've never seen them in the same place.

They've an awful lot of similarities though.

Both are an energetic exciting duo that you don't know what are going to next and are fairly funny.

I'm starting this rumour right now, they're one and the same

• Advertisement

I think The RubberBandits are great, they really make me laugh!

Hey Ugo and (I think) Pudsy. You're both starting players who are out or on bye this week.

I'm playing Podge this week. Clash of the average fantasy football players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I reckon my match up with ACT Jake Whites grabs the NBC slot tonight :P

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Ha, no I've never seen them in the same place.

They've an awful lot of similarities though.

Both are an energetic exciting duo that you don't know what are going to next and are fairly funny.

There're 3 rubber bandits. The DJ just doesn't get as much face (bag) time as the other two.

dregin wrote: »
    There're 3 rubber bandits. The DJ just doesn't get as much face (bag) time as the other two.

He has a bag for radio.

Calvin Johnson ruled out. A bit of a problem with Stafford in my lineup. Might want to put Ryan in.

I have a feeling Ugo isn't payin much attention this week. Suits me just fine.

Hagz wrote: »

Doesn't look that way as things stand, I reckon ACT JW and I are in for a tight low scoring affair this weekend

Hagz wrote: »

He wasn't. So I put Jones into his lineup for an inactive player.

Sorry.

• Advertisement

Aghh. I looked certain to win, now I look certain to lose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

ha sorry lads!

Manning having a great game but zilch going to Welker.

Stop throwing to Decker, you jerk. Killing me.

Ah for feck's sake. A rushing TD now. Still nothing to Welker.

That's it Peyton, just do it all yourself, Wes who?

Manning is being a bro.

At least Welker got it this time. No yards though. FGs from here on in please.

At least Welker got it this time. No yards though. FGs from here on in please.

NO we want more TD's, just not caught by Welker mind ;)

• Advertisement

Love the run call on third and long. Can't allow your kicker to become tight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement