Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

dregin wrote: »
    I will say this - the fantasy NFL stuff seems a LOT more involved than the generic "everyone can buy anyone" approach that the fantasy soccer games take.
    It really is. Leagues opperate in a closed system, so there is a limited number of players. Thats what makes it great, everyones team is totally unique.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

dregin wrote: »
    I will say this - the fantasy NFL stuff seems a LOT more involved than the generic "everyone can buy anyone" approach that the fantasy soccer games take.

Fantasy NFL is just amazing. It is so much more engaging then the generic fantasy football/rugby stuff just by its nature. The sport lends itself to fantasy better too - its quite difficult to grade soccer/rugby players outside of points scored but its a lot easier in NFL.

It's awesome. Though P_1 is terrible at it and about to get a well deserved mauling (if Luck doesn't completely screw me over tonight).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

For someone that is only tentatively interested in NFL, FF has made me become much more of a fan. You really do focus on all available information and research the game much more than soccer FF which is much more generic and doesn't have the competitive element that NFL does. When half your team is the exact same you're all hoping for the same results.

The added element of trades and the player market throughout makes it all the more interesting as you try and broker deals with others.

Also, the very nature of the game in so far as it's hugely statistical makes it ideal for FF.

Buer wrote: »
    For someone that is only tentatively interested in NFL, FF has made me become much more of a fan. You really do focus on all available information and research the game much more than soccer FF which is much more generic and doesn't have the competitive element that NFL does. When half your team is the exact same you're all hoping for the same results.

The added element of trades and the player market throughout makes it all the more interesting as you try and broker deals with others.

Also, the very nature of the game in so far as it's hugely statistical makes it ideal for FF.

Yet you were too afraid to join the Boards Rugby league. For shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Yet you were too afraid to join the Boards Rugby league. For shame.

I was already in two leagues at that point. I didn't want to spread myself too thin. I shall learn the trade and beg for entry next season where I shall fluke my way to mid table glory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Fantasy NFL is just amazing. It is so much more engaging then the generic fantasy football/rugby stuff just by its nature. The sport lends itself to fantasy better too - its quite difficult to grade soccer/rugby players outside of points scored but its a lot easier in NFL.

It's awesome. Though P_1 is terrible at it and about to get a well deserved mauling (if Luck doesn't completely screw me over tonight).

Ah heor...

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Girlfriend bought me a test fit Ulster jersey for my birthday! :D

It's a pretty tight fit! I'm thinking talc powder may be required to get out of it at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

awec wrote: »
    Girlfriend bought me a test fit Ulster jersey for my birthday! :D

It's a pretty tight fit! I'm thinking talc powder may be required to get out of it at times.

Happy birthday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Happy Birthday awec!

Happy birthday awec. That Ulster test kit must be tight if you are struggling to get into it :P

• Advertisement

Pretty tight:

bday.png

Went on the site to check the sizes, it's the correct size anyway. The actual supporters jerseys just wouldn't fit me at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

As a front row I'm laughing that you're calling that tight.

Teferi wrote: »
    As a front row I'm laughing that you're calling that tight.

Sure I'm a front row myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Pretty tight:

bday.png

Went on the site to check the sizes, it's the correct size anyway. The actual supporters jerseys just wouldn't fit me at all.

If that's what you call tight, then your other clothes must swim on you. And here I was expecting to see some nipple... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

I've seen more meat on a butchers apron!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

How bout letting us see it off the coat hanger.

awac, our very own Devin Toner...

Get a few sandwiches into you lad

Swiwi. wrote: »
    If that's what you call tight, then your other clothes must swim on you. And here I was expecting to see some nipple... :pac:

Ha! It actually is tighter than it looks in the photo. Apart from in the arms. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Happy birthday awec... doing us thin folk proud!

I've seen more meat on a butchers apron!

Sure look at the size of me guns! :P

Sure look at the size of me guns! :P

I'm thinking Bob geldof will be around at Christmas to do a charity single for you. He might bring some hang sangiches too just to keep you from wasting away ;)

I'm thinking Bob geldof will be around at Christmas to do a charity single for you. He might bring some hang sangiches too just to keep you from wasting away ;)

Aerodynamic Howard, aerodynamic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Makes sense. Harp is watered down so much that the only way to get any sort of buzz off it is to keep your body fat to < 1%

SCCZEN_151013NZHGBKIWI3_220x147.jpg

Ain't that cute, now...

• Advertisement

P_1 wrote: »
    Ah heor...

It seems the fantasy gods have decided to smite me for my hubris.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    SCCZEN_151013NZHGBKIWI3_220x147.jpg

Ain't that cute, now...

A kiwi & a dodo?

Makes sense. Harp is watered down so much that the only way to get any sort of buzz off it is to keep your body fat to < 1%

Well, I do work hard at it... :pac:

It seems the fantasy gods have decided to smite me for my hubris.

Indeed they have, serves you right for counting your chickens early :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Sure I'm a front row myself...

Of the stand? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Zzippy wrote: »
    Of the stand? ;)
    Nah. The under 8's team. Uncontested scrums. ;)

Price of beer going up. I'm up in Bulfast this weekend, might be forced to bring a crate of Harp back down with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Air travel tax gone in April. Hopefully that will boost tourism!

And more importantly, make it cheaper for me to get home.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Pretty tight:

bday.png

The cynic in me sees that, combined with the dole cuts for under 25's as a way of boosting emigration rather then tourism to be honest.

P_1 wrote: »
    The cynic in me sees that, combined with the dole cuts for under 25's as a way of boosting emigration rather then tourism to be honest.

Well I don't think the €3 each way will the difference between emigration or not but the dole cut certainly could have an effect. The new levels are fine if you're living at home and not paying rent but it'll be pretty hard otherwise.

At least they had the balls to force some cuts onto pensioners.

Well I don't think the €3 each way will the difference between emigration or not but the dole cut certainly could have an effect. The new levels are fine if you're living at home and not paying rent but it'll be pretty hard otherwise.

At least they had the balls to force some cuts onto pensioners.

Yeah, I agree with that. There are some mega wealthy pensioners out there (any retired TDs for example), so I'm not sure they really need a medical card.

Universal benefits such as pensions, child benefit and the new free GP care for under 5's strike me as being absurd though. There are a hell of a lot of people out there who realistically just don't need them. Shocking waste of resources but having worked with a lot of state bodies I'd be fairly sure that any means testing would be an even bigger waste of them

Means testing is quite expensive so isn't always the most productive of exercises.

I have no problem with the free under 5 GP care as part of a roll out of free universal GP health care. It works well in the UK and honestly I don't see the reason or need to means test it - it is precisely the kind of thing that should be available to all. It will also make it easier to negotiate rates etc with GPs - and hopefully some proper out of hours service will be brought in to ease the load on A&Es. Pensions are a tricky one though certainly I'd agree with the child benefit being means tested if it led to reasonable savings.

I think health care that is as free as possible is generally a good thing - it was the cynical nature of giving it only to pensioners because they feckin vote more that irritated me. Though young people who don't vote are partly to blame for that.

• Advertisement

Means testing is quite expensive so isn't always the most productive of exercises.

I have no problem with the free under 5 GP care as part of a roll out of free universal GP health care. It works well in the UK and honestly I don't see the reason or need to means test it - it is precisely the kind of thing that should be available to all. It will also make it easier to negotiate rates etc with GPs - and hopefully some proper out of hours service will be brought in to ease the load on A&Es. Pensions are a tricky one though certainly I'd agree with the child benefit being means tested if it led to reasonable savings.

I think health care that is as free as possible is generally a good thing - it was the cynical nature of giving it only to pensioners because they feckin vote more that irritated me. Though young people who don't vote are partly to blame for that.

True, I'd imagine that the gov parties have done their research and have realised that young voters either don't vote or more importantly, don't vote for them. Horrifically cynical but I can see their logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

*shrug*

My gran is gonna lose her medical card by €2 a week. Gonna cripple her paying med bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

When is this airline tax thing happening, i just bought flights today!

Ireland 0 Kazakhstan 1 Borat scored

When is this airline tax thing happening, i just bought flights today!

Tomorrow.

You sucker.

I don't actually know, probably Jan 1st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Tomorrow.

You sucker.

I don't actually know, probably Jan 1st
    1 April 2014, think I saw that date somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Won tickets to alone it stands in the pavillion tomorrow night!!

Anyone know if it's good?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Well it's been going for.......forever I think, so it can't be bad anyway!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Reckon the biggest annoyance from the budget is the Galway Bay Brewery bars harping on about how they "Won't be adding the 10%"(sic) to their own beers, even though they charge €5.50 a pint and micro breweries pay half the tax regular breweries do. ME HOOP!

</rant>

Otherwise, it doesn't seem the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Wtf is up with the pitch in the Aviva?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement