Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

awec wrote: »
    5 minutes.

All I will say is thank fcuk for rolling subs. :D

Dispelling, for all eternity, the idea that skinny people are generally fit.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Buer wrote: »
    Dispelling, for all eternity, the idea that skinny people are generally fit.

Oh I dispelled that myth years ago.

And also the "you're the youngest on the team so you can do the most running" myth. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Oh I dispelled that myth years ago.

And also the "you're the youngest on the team so you can do the most running" myth. :pac:

You could have subbed in for the crossbar ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hurk

Just back from ROG's testimonial dinner. Great night. The main thing I took away from it is that Donal Lenihan is way funnier than you'd think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Swiwi. wrote: »

Teenage golf sensation Lydia Ko is convinced by Israel to turn pro...he really is a bit of a Dagg

I love Dagg's humour. His non serious interviews are brilliant. He has great dry wit, but too much of that felt forced. Yer wan gave him nothing throughout

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Starting baseball training on Tuesday. don't know what to expect (it's just rounders inpyjamas, isn't it?) but it should be a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I need some good getting old jokes for my dads birthday, but google is simply not delivering.

Anyone watching the rugby league world cup?

Have to admit, I just can't get in to rugby league. The lack of contest for me at breakdowns just makes it a bit dull for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Anyone watching the rugby league world cup?

Have to admit, I just can't get in to rugby league. The lack of contest for me at breakdowns just makes it a bit dull for me.

No. It's always a big circus to see which of NZ or Eng the Aussies will face in the final. Meaningless games with PNG, Lebanon (Aussie expats united) etc. Will keep an obligatory eye on the result of course. Like yourself, not a huge league fan.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    No. It's always a big circus to see which of NZ or Eng the Aussies will face in the final. Meaningless games with PNG, Lebanon (Aussie expats united) etc. Will keep an obligatory eye on the result of course. Like yourself, not a huge league fan.

It's England v Aussies today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

the tmo has to commentate his decisions:confused:

RuggieBear wrote: »
    the tmo has to commentate his decisions:confused:

Yea noticed that. "Ok, so they are all onside, now lets move on a bit, yes, that wasn't a tackle, so if he got that down then that's a try, and yes, there it is, a try. That is a try".

The scrums are also pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

^^ Yellow pack rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Hagz wrote: »
    I need some good getting old jokes for my dads birthday, but google is simply not delivering.

You know you're getting old when your dreams are dry and your farts are wet...

Went out for dinner tonight at a place called Camden Kitchen and the food was amazing. Had wood pigeon to start and venison for main.

now sitting with a whiskey and a Cuban about to watch some walking dead :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Damien Varley has just been singing Lean On Me rte1

Ooh, one big muck-up in defence from MC there, allows Torres a winning goal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Sunderland won a game!! So happy right now, could be the kickstart needed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Anyone watching the Wembley match? I'm no NFL expert but oh boy Jacksonville's defence is useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Lou Reed died :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Anyone watching the Wembley match? I'm no NFL expert but oh boy Jacksonville's defence is useless.

Jacksonville are the worst team in the league. Worst team I've ever watched live, but I've only been following a few years. The league's scheduling of Wembley games is shocking. It seems every year is a blowout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

matthew8 wrote: »
    Jacksonville are the worst team in the league. Worst team I've ever watched live, but I've only been following a few years. The league's scheduling of Wembley games is shocking. It seems every year is a blowout.

Yeah it isn't the most competitive of matches to be fair, not that I'm complaining mind due to my wager pre match ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Anyone else getting redzone?

Hagz wrote: »
    Anyone else getting redzone?

No. No one is getting it on sky. Officially it was meant to come on at 5:30. We may miss it for the entire early set of games. It's a bit of a shambles.

• Advertisement

Podge, what does TDM stand for?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

matthew8 wrote: »
    Podge, what does TDM stand for?

The Danger Mice.

It was the name of my Call of Duty clan - then original Call of Duty back in the day before this console nonsense. I'm well cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Another NFL question: How can people afford the tickets?! I looked up tickets for New York Giants for the hell of it, cheapest ticket was $110! Then I saw that the average ticket price for some teams were up to $300.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Another NFL question: How can people afford the tickets?! I looked up tickets for New York Giants for the hell of it, cheapest ticket was $110! Then I saw that the average ticket price for some teams were up to $300.

Well there is only 8 home games a season. The NFL have very much captured the less is more philosophy. My friends parents paid 10k just for the right to buy 9ers season tickets. But really the massive growth in the sport has been related to how good a TV product it is.

As Podge says, it's very much affected by there being very few games and it being a different mentality.

The season is very short. You only get 8 home games a season. There are only 32 teams in a nation of 315 million people. Supply and demand.

The teams are also fairly well spread. There are only a couple of places in the country where there are two teams in the same area (NY, Washington/Baltimore, San Fran/Oakland).

In the smaller cities where there isn't the massive population base (Kansas City, Green Bay etc.) it's the only show in town. There's no baseball or basketball teams to compete against. People think nothing of driving 3-4 hours to get to a game which is an all day event with tailgate parties and rallies. It's a completely different experience to a rugby or soccer game here.

The NFL games for supporters would be closer to Irish internationals in how they're perceived.

It also probably gave you an unrealistic idea of ticket prices due to looking at the Giants. They're the most expensive tickets in the NFL due to their population base and being one of the top sides in recent years. If you were to go to someone like Buffalo or Kansas City, you could get the best seats in the house for about $180 and tickets can go as low as $50.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Big fan of Arrested Development, love all the little running jokes throughout the series.

Only watched season 1 of Forbrydelsen (The Killing) but really enjoyed it; the American version is actually ok as well, it is worth watching the two seasons of it to give a proper appraisal of it. If you like Scandinavian drama I would recommend Borgen (political drama) and The Bridge (crime/detective), up there with Forbrydelsen for quality.

The Bridge was "different", but Borgen (at least season 1, which is where I'm at) is excellent.

Ah, that Kiwi accent...

Nothing gets us into more trouble than our mangled vowels.

It took me way longer to realise that he was saying deck than I'd like to admit...

Reminds me of this charity song, they rhyme better with feta (cheese). Only a kiwi accent can pull that one off

Grimebox wrote: »
    It took me way longer to realise that he was saying deck than I'd like to admit...

Reminds me of this charity song, they rhyme better with feta (cheese). Only a kiwi accent can pull that one off

Ah, and the video features Brooke Fraser...daughter of AB & especially Wellington legend Bernie Fraser. Warm fuzzies all round :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Grimebox wrote: »

That is one of the greatest videos I've ever seen.

That is one of the greatest videos I've ever seen.

3:25 is particularly funny because Brett McKenzie (the guy on the left) composed The Muppets soundtrack and also one an oscar for it. I love Flight of the Concords

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ha that video is very funny.

I'd heard of the Flight of Conchords before but had never heard them.

Their video about being confused with Australians is very good too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not sure baseball is for me. An hour of throwing the ball back and forth, twenty minutes fo stretching, another hour or throwing the ball back and forth then a match which consists of doing absolutely nothing for ages then ten seconds of action.

Worse than playing on the wing.

Not sure baseball is for me. An hour of throwing the ball back and forth, twenty minutes fo stretching, another hour or throwing the ball back and forth then a match which consists of doing absolutely nothing for ages then ten seconds of action.

Worse than playing on the wing.

It's a boring game, I find. I spent some time in NYC and a large number are obsessive about it but a lot of Americans are well aware as to how dull and long games are and just follow the results or go to a game once in a while to experience the day out and support their local side. A lot of them wouldn't bother showing up for the entire game either as they couldn't hack sitting there for 9 innings.

It's a completely saturated sport in terms of watching also in the US. In the regular season alone, every team plays 162 games. Never really got into it at all despite the fuss around the game in NY.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Demented mole is back with another masterpiece http://dementedmole.com/2013/10/30/ruck-marks/

I always love his articles, he puts every journalist in this country to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Demented mole is back with another masterpiece http://dementedmole.com/2013/10/30/ruck-marks/

I always love his articles, he puts every journalist in this country to shame.

Each one more astonishing in depth than the last. The level of detail and love for the game is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Each one more astonishing in depth than the last. The level of detail and love for the game is fantastic. Is it the user Hugonaut from LF, correct?
    His two latest pieces in particular have been spectacular in detail and length. I'm not a user of LF myself, but ye I think your right.

It's Hugo alright. He's registered on here recently I see. He appears to be lurking, however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Saracens latest marketing gimmick...

http://www.espn.co.uk/blogs/rugby/story/204245.html?CMP=OTC-RSS%3Butm_medium%3Dtwitter%3Butm_source%3Dtwitterfeed

Tbh I wish the RDS would sell me beer as cheap!

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    It's Hugo alright. He's registered on here recently I see. He appears to be lurking, however.

There are a hell of a lot of lurkers on this forum. Not sure if they count as voyeurs or trying to vicariously live the life of a boards.ie rugby geek :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement