Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Demented mole is back with another masterpiece http://dementedmole.com/2013/10/30/ruck-marks/

I always love his articles, he puts every journalist in this country to shame.

He hits the nail on the head when talking about ESPN stats and their use by fans on sites like this: "a whopping army of strawmen arguments presented with a reserve corps of independently assessed [and thus in theory unimpeachable] statistics about what happened over the 80 mins."

I like his stuff, he's like the journalist for rugby forums, national journalists are obviously never going to make references like that (although I agree he is twice as good as almost all of them anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Demented mole is back with another masterpiece http://dementedmole.com/2013/10/30/ruck-marks/

It's almost thesis/PhD material these days. Damn RSI/OOS again, thanks Mole.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Well in fairness there's no point comparing him to journalists as they've completely different set ups.

He can write what he wanst when he wants where as a journalist has to write something his editor likes and everyday or every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

My god that is a magnificent piece of writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Well in fairness there's no point comparing him to journalists as they've completely different set ups.

He can write what he wanst when he wants where as a journalist has to write something his editor likes and everyday or every week.

also worth noting that such an in-depth piece wouldn't be that appealing to casual fans

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

also worth noting that such an in-depth piece wouldn't be that appealing to casual fans

True. I didn't read his last one and I doubt I'll read this one either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Hagz wrote: »
    True. I didn't read his last one and I doubt I'll read this one either.

There's a whiff of....cordite about that reply :)

2013 Legatum Prosperity Index

Ireland has better health & security/safety than NZ, which doesn't surprise me. As an insider, the health system here is much better than many people think, in particular at present the government still funds many expensive cancer drugs, which is not the case back home. And I definitely find Ireland a safer country than NZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Swiwi. wrote: »
    2013 Legatum Prosperity Index

Ireland has better health & security/safety than NZ, which doesn't surprise me. As an insider, the health system here is much better than many people think, in particular at present the government still funds many expensive cancer drugs, which is not the case back home. And I definitely find Ireland a safer country than NZ.

How do you mean safer, just generally?

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    How do you mean safer, just generally?

In Ireland, IMO, most crime is either drug or gang related. If you're not involved in those 2 things, you are pretty safe.

In NZ, there is a lot more burglary, a lot more car theft, and more of the serious crimes such as assault.

It's all relative obviously, but I definitely feel generally safer here than in NZ.

It's a sad fact of NZ life, but Maori are disproportionately represented in crime statistics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

In Ireland, IMO, most crime is either drug or gang related. If you're not involved in those 2 things, you are pretty safe.

In NZ, there is a lot more burglary, a lot more car theft, and more of the serious crimes such as assault.

It's all relative obviously, but I definitely feel generally safer here than in NZ.

It's a sad fact of NZ life, but Maori are disproportionately represented in crime statistics.

Ye i'd agree with that, I think we have a higher murder rate (thank you wikipedia) but alot of that would be gang related. If you are just a regular person then you really should be alright.

Interesting you think that assaults and such would be more prevelant in NZ, I just assumed because of our drinking culture it would be slightly worse here too.

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Ye i'd agree with that, I think we have a higher murder rate (thank you wikipedia) but alot of that would be gang related. If you are just a regular person then you really should be alright.

Interesting you think that assaults and such would be more prevelant in NZ, I just assumed because of our drinking culture it would be slightly worse here too.

Definitely not! NZ can be a dangerous place if out late: here people might mix booze with cocaine, but although cocaine is potentially a lethal drug to the user (this drug should be avoided at all costs IMO), it doesn't tend to make people aggressive. In NZ, speed, crystal meth etc are popular, and they can make people very aggressive and dangerous. Then there's the whole macho culture in NZ, whereas here people more go out for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Indeed. A magnificent article but I'd wager that, out of the 50k that will be in the Aviva in a month, about 5% would read that article in its entirety. I would think a good proportion of users on here wouldn't even read it all.

The articles from the DM are a labour of love and wonderful reading for the rugby geek but there's no way any major publication would be interested in having similar, unfortunately.

Buer wrote: »
    Indeed. A magnificent article but I'd wager that, out of the 50k that will be in the Aviva in a month, about 5% would read that article in its entirety. I would think a good proportion of users on here wouldn't even read it all.

The articles from the DM are a labour of love and wonderful reading for the rugby geek but there's no way any major publication would be interested in having similar, unfortunately.

I'll be honest, I skim-read it, I did not go through it line by line by line.

But they are a real labour of love as you say, and there's clearly a lot of time & effort behind them.

Then there's the whole macho culture in NZ, whereas here people more go out for the craic.

Certainly something I encountered in my travels there and also in the Kiwis that were living in Sydney (and a number of Irish too). The macho culture appears to manifest itself in a number of ways. The more encouraging is the absolute lust for life that is prominent and can be seen in the prevalence of adventure sports and seeking out thrills. The other aspect appeared to be the willingness to push the boundaries of their own personal safety and do anything to show their bravery (which is more akin to stupidity). There appeared to be a fairly healthy gang culture in Auckland, involved in petty crimes and assaults.

Sign him up Opta!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Phoeey

Älä Poika, Opeta Isääs Naimaan.

Is there any reason he titled one of his paragraphs in Finnish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Cisco have opened h.264 for WebRTC enthusiasts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Cisco have opened h.264 for WebRTC enthusiasts

So basically Cisco have paid the licensing fee to allow h264 to be part of WebRTC? What does Cisco get out of this? They have a huge interest in commercial video conferencing, surely this will create more competitors in that market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

That was a great read.

And although it has elements of subjectivity in it, I think it shows how important POC is to teams he plays for. I mean, he was particularly good in the first test, but numbers-wise, compared to everyone else, he looks pretty phenomenal. And even when he's playing below himself at the moment, you'd wonder how much of an impact he has on the game.....

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I WONDER who made this...

999573_10151931800384931_701898767_n.jpg

Who was it?

Whoever it was, they are wise and great, and I want to be them.

Plus I wish that was sitting on my kitchen bench right now. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »

She's genuinely one of the more amusing twitter users out there.

Every time I see this I laugh. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Anyone got any bright ideas? The speaker has stopped working on my iPhone 4, now about 2.5 years old. Not a hassle, but can only listen to music now with headphones, and the phone effectively is constantly on silent/vibrate mode. I've made sure no water in headphone jack, and done the usual reboot/restore things, externally cleaned the ports etc.

Went to Adventure Golf today in Dundrum and looked at the high score leaderboard:

1. Ian Madigan
    2. Dominic Ryan

Unfortunately I finished 6 shots over beating their score. :(

Went to the dentist today and got nipped for €225 and..........come back next week for the start of root canal on a back tooth - approx €450 if all goes to plan.

And then came home to find the wife had hit the car.

And the toothache pain is still here.

And it's back to work tomorrow.

FML...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Return to Farmleigh on RTE1 now, our licence fees hard at work, absolute pretentious elitist shìte.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

yeah but the program on bird flight was very good and this one on wolves on rte 2 looks good too

mfceiling wrote: »
    Went to the dentist today and got nipped for €225 and..........come back next week for the start of root canal on a back tooth - approx €450 if all goes to plan.

FML...

225 euro? I thought you lived in NI?

mfceiling wrote: »

FML...

Need to take a trip to the dentist at some point in the not too distant future and NOT looking forward to the bill...

225 euro? I thought you lived in NI?

From the fields of tyrone to the badlands of terenure!!

Might have to go back to tyrone to get this tooth fixed though!!

dregin wrote: »
    Need to take a trip to the dentist at some point in the not too distant future and NOT looking forward to the bill...

And that was the "smiles" clinic....the "low fares" dentist...not

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    yeah but the program on bird flight was very good and this one on wolves on rte 2 looks good too

That program on the wolf was very good.

I was reading about the guy who trapped the wolf on wikipedia and seemingly

On his twenty-first birthday, Seton's father presented him with a bill for all the expenses connected with his childhood and youth, including the fee charged by the doctor who delivered him. He paid the bill, but never spoke to his father again.

ha!

Building beside ours has decided it's had enough!

996657_10151927993303805_182884449_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

^ Jeez that can't be good with all the water shortages going on..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Jaysus. Hard luck Hagz. ARod goes out of the game on the opening drive. Id given that one up for lost!

I score 140 points this week and lose. Opponent had Zac Stacey, Andrew Luck, T.Y. Hilton and Matt Forte. I was 60 points up going to bed on Sunday night. Disgusted.

• Advertisement

I genuinely cannot catch a break.

What's up Hagz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

So it turns out my team is shoite without Manning...

What's up Hagz?

NFL Fantasy woes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

We do a simple office picks game, against spread. I am 49th out of 50.

I ACTUALLY FOLLOW the damn game and every week have put thought into my picks.

If Id ALWAS gone with the default I'd be 20th.....

#fwp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

I've been on jury duty for the last 3 weeks. Getting sick of it, needed one day then sent away for three, completely ruined my routine because I have to go back home to where the court is

"When you go into court you are putting your fate into the hands of twelve people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty".

"When you go into court you are putting your fate into the hands of twelve people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty".

As an aside, "12 angry men" is a great film.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's all about weeks 15&16 anyway. Make the playoffs and anything can happen.

Anyone got any bright ideas? The speaker has stopped working on my iPhone 4, now about 2.5 years old. Not a hassle, but can only listen to music now with headphones, and the phone effectively is constantly on silent/vibrate mode. I've made sure no water in headphone jack, and done the usual reboot/restore things, externally cleaned the ports etc.

These guys sorted me out for 40 quid. Just needed a new speaker.

http://www.iphonerepairireland.ie/

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement