Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I've been on jury duty for the last 3 weeks. Getting sick of it, needed one day then sent away for three, completely ruined my routine because I have to go back home to where the court is

Is living such a distance away from the Court not a valid reason to get out of jury duty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

awec wrote: »
    Is living such a distance away from the Court not a valid reason to get out of jury duty?

Probably was but I kind of froze when I got called up and next thing I know I'm taking the oath. Plus at the time I didn't think it would last three weeks :(

Probably was but I kind of froze when I got called up and next thing I know I'm taking the oath. Plus at the time I didn't think it would last three weeks :(

You must look like a very respectable individual indeed in order to get selected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Scientists in Belgium have found a new ligament in the knee. Pretty mad.

http://www.kuleuven.be/english/news/new-ligament-discovered-in-the-human-knee

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Scientists in Belgium have found a new ligament in the knee. Pretty mad.

http://www.kuleuven.be/english/news/new-ligament-discovered-in-the-human-knee

Wow, that's mad!

I had problems with my knee before and when I went to the physio to get it checked she said "you can't have pain there, there's nothing to hurt in that spot". As you can imagine my rehab didn't go very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I got called for jury duty twice and both times the prosecution objected to me based purely on how I look :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Grimebox wrote: »
    I got called for jury duty twice and both times the prosecution objected to me based purely on how I look :(

Just a hunch, but I presume they didn't object to me because I'm incredibly good looking

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Swiwi. wrote: »
    As an aside, "12 angry men" is a great film.

It resides in my DVD collection. Just a superb bit of film.

I can't be selected for jury duty here. :D

Also not allowed to give blood.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I can't be selected for jury duty here.

Neither can I thankfully. Though I can't vote and am likely to get kicked out of the country should WW3 start so not all good news.

Too much Harp in the bloodstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Hmmm. There are quite a few reasons why people aren't allowed to give blood...

...but I assume you're referring to the fact you resided in "the UK" (in the broadest possible use of that term)...

Hmmm. There are quite a few reasons why people aren't allowed to give blood...

...but I assume you're referring to the fact you resided in "the UK" (in the broadest possible use of that term)...

Yes, not allowed to give blood because I was resident in NI.

Because of the mad cow I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Now that I'm living in the UK does that mean I can no longer give blood in IE?

Nope. It was only if you lived there for a year between 89-9something or some other oddly specific set of regulations. I regularly donated in Ireland while living in the UK.

No. You had to be living in the UK during the period where you could have picked up Mad Cow disease (from memory it's 1980 to 1996, or something like that).

Off the top of my head, I stand to be corrected.

• Advertisement

Just a hunch, but I presume they didn't object to me because I'm incredibly good looking

I think it was because I was 19 at the time, a whole decade younger than anyone else there.

and my ugly, ugly face

No. You had to be living in the UK during the period where you could have picked up Mad Cow disease (from memory it's 1980 to 1996, or something like that).

Off the top of my head, I stand to be corrected.

Yes, if you lived in the UK from 1980 - 1996 you are not allowed to donate blood in Ireland.

Yes, if you lived in the UK from 1980 - 1996 you are not allowed to donate blood in Ireland.

Ah, so I don't have Alzheimer's just yet :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Ireland touring Argentina in 2014, anyone coming out? If so give me a shout in advance for watering hole and other essential recommendations. Will go to at least one of the games. Living out here for a year now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Podge_irl wrote: »

Too much Harp in the bloodstream.

Not enough blood in the Harpstream

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'm not much of a rap man myself, but this gave me goosebumps the first time I heard it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Thats standard practice for all harp drinkers, the state can't afford all the compo claims afterwards from the alcohol/pìss laden blood
    Edit: I'm only home from work now & catching up on the thread, there was me thinking I'd be first with the harp jokes :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Hagz wrote: »
    I'm not much of a rap man myself, but this gave me goosebumps the first time I heard it.

Who's Nate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Who's Nate?

His younger brother.

Ah right, I thought he was an only child.

Thats standard practice for all harp drinkers, the state can't afford all the compo claims afterwards from the alcohol/pìss laden blood
    Edit: I'm only home from work now & catching up on the thread, there was me thinking I'd be first with the harp jokes :(

Don't worry. I'm wittier than most people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ok I've removed a couple of posts. What people enjoy on other parts of boards is up to themselves and isn't for us to comment on

My girlfriend is away for the weekend, so I have a good manly weekend ahead of me. Lions Raw to watch, the Samoa game, beer, takeaways, and more beer. :D

ok I've removed a couple of posts. What people enjoy on other parts of boards is up to themselves and isn't for us to comment on

I didn't see any of the other posts. Apologies for starting a hate campaign it seems :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

My girlfriend is away for the weekend, so I have a good manly weekend ahead of me. Lions Raw to watch, the Samoa game, beer, takeaways, and more beer. :D

Ditto! Missus is over to Rome for the weekend with work. Gonna lose my mind.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »

Excellent, so you'll not be running off during these beers then! :P

Grimebox wrote: »
    Apologies for starting a hate campaign it seems :o

ah I know there was no malice in it but people get different things from different threads on boards and should be allowed do so without worrying what is said else where.

sweet so neither of you will have anything better to do on Saturday then mod the Ireland threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

You could always just merge the beer and takeaway into one delicious and efficient option.....

pizza-beer.jpg.jpg

sweet so neither of you will have anything better to do on Saturday then mod the Ireland threads.

I, err, well...

Shít.

I actually have to play a match before the game, then I'll be at the Ireland game, and then I'll be modding the beers at searsons just incase awec gets rowdy. So....

Sure.

I imagine my mod messages will be like: "ok ladzzzz kep it pn tppic pls r yoil b band" *hic*

Sure.

I imagine my mod messages will be like: "ok ladzzzz kep it pn tppic pls r yoil b band" *hic*

Translation: Okay gents, keep it on topic or oily boy band.

Corsodyl is the best/worst thing ever invented. Everyone has their ways of beating the cold/flu/sore throat/whatever, but I tell you corsodyl seriously sorts it. If you feel a sore throat coming on just gargle with it twice a day and I'll guarantee it'll sort it for. Something to do with your glands that help fight infection being located in your throat and corsodyl basically being paint stripper.

That's why it's also the worst thing in the world. Tastes like Aftershock and paint thinners mixed together.

• Advertisement

When I have the cold I just load up on Day and Night nurse.

When I have the cold I just load up on Day and Night nurse.

See that stuff just makes me groggy and never really makes the cold go away. Call me a sceptic but I find most branded medicines are designed just to deal with the symptoms rather than clear up the issue completely. Because then you'll buy a 2nd pack when your cold is still lingering.

Corsodyl actually nukes the area and isn't designed for it - just seriously strong anti-bac mouth wash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Lemsip and Vit C tablets while drinking plenty of orange/apple juice and eating plenty of mandarins do the job for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭OldRio

Many many many years ago at the age of 8 or 9 I had a bad dose of the flu.
    To the bed I went for a couple of days. Eventually Dad gave me a glass of medicine and in a day or two I was out and about.
    Been using that medicine for years now. Myself, herself and the lads. (Used on cows sheep pigs and horses as well)
    Poitin.

OldRio wrote: »
    Many many many years ago at the age of 8 or 9 I had a bad dose of the flu.
    To the bed I went for a couple of days. Eventually Dad gave me a glass of medicine and in a day or two I was out and about.
    Been using that medicine for years now. Myself, herself and the lads. (Used on cows sheep pigs and horses as well)
    Poitin.

The real litmus test of any medicine. :D

Hot whiskey.

That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You jammy arabs...

My middle girl turns 6 on saturday, so i've to take charge of 20 kids in imaginosity in sandyford on saturday afternoon.

I'll probably sky plus the game then watch it in peace at 11 p.m - while the rest of my tribe sleep off sugar induced comas.

Sure if you need cheered up on Saturday just think about us, we have it far worse. Pub, rugby and then pub. Terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Sure if you need cheered up on Saturday just think about us, we have it far worse. Pub, rugby and then pub. Terrible.

B*stard:mad:

:D

Actually, I'm pretty sure there'll be takeaway in there somewhere. Abrakebabra for some turkish cuisine probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Actually, I'm pretty sure there'll be takeaway in there somewhere. Abrakebabra for some turkish cuisine probably.

Harp...Abrakebabra....

What the f*ck did your taste buds ever do to you?!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement