Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

awec wrote: »
    Actually, I'm pretty sure there'll be takeaway in there somewhere. Abrakebabra for some turkish cuisine probably.

A man with cultured tastes...

Feck it so, i'm ordering a chinese now.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Buer wrote: »
    Harp...Abrakebabra....

What the f*ck did your taste buds ever do to you?!

Ha! Not actually an abrekebabra fan to be honest.

Kebabs down here are different to what I'm used to. When I get a kebab at home, I ask for kebab on chips with kebab sauce. At home, that equals this:

WP_20130906_003.jpg

For some reason, the woman in Abrekebabra couldn't get her head around the fact that I didn't want the fecking pita bread or the stupid vegetables (I'm not trying to be healthy when I order a kebab, ye can fire that cabbage in the bin), and that kebab sauce is NOT garlic sauce, nor is it chilli sauce, it is it's own distinct flavour.

In the end she gave me a kebab in pita with garlic and a portion of these crappy McDonalds type chips.

I was disgusted. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Ha! Not actually an abrekebabra fan to be honest.

Kebabs down here are different to what I'm used to. When I get a kebab at home, I ask for kebab on chips with kebab sauce. At home, that equals this:

WP_20130906_003.jpg

For some reason, the woman in Abrekebabra couldn't get her head around the fact that I didn't want the fecking pita bread or the stupid vegetables (I'm not trying to be healthy when I order a kebab, ye can fire that cabbage in the bin), and that kebab sauce is NOT garlic sauce, nor is it chilli sauce, it is it's own distinct flavour.

In the end she gave me a kebab in pita with garlic and a portion of these crappy McDonalds type chips.

I was disgusted. :D

What you are after sir is a kebab tray, most chippers do them!

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    What you are after sir is a kebab tray, most chippers do them!

Oh my. You are telling me I've been missing out for no reason?! :eek:

Just to confirm, this is the crappy, processed elephant hoof type meat that they use a razor to shave off, and not the fake-steak type kebab meat, right?

What about kebab sauce? The more orangey yellow it is in colour it is the better.

Oh my. You are telling me I've been missing out for no reason?! :eek:

Just to confirm, this is the crappy, processed elephant hoof type meat that they use a razor to shave off, and not the fake-steak type kebab meat, right?

Ye its the regular chipper kebab, ie processed and uniform throughout, not the other stuff that you get in Turkish or Persian kebab houses!

The only stumbling block is the sauce I think, some will do garlic and chille, others have that orange sauce it depends really!

Ye its the regular chipper kebab, ie processed and uniform throughout, not the other stuff that you get in Turkish or Persian kebab houses!

The only stumbling block is the sauce I think, some will do garlic and chille, others have that orange sauce it depends really!

"Not that other stuff"

Look at us turning our noses up at what is presumably less-crappy food. :D

"Not that other stuff"

Look at us turning our noses up at what is presumably less-crappy food. :D

Speak for yourself, I've a Zaytoon loyalty card :D

Speak for yourself, I've a Zaytoon loyalty card :D

Ugh, terrible place. :mad:

They put cabbage and onions in their kebabs. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

You utter philistine!

They put cabbage and onions in their kebabs. :rolleyes:

And tomatoes!

Best kebab in town!

• Advertisement

I think this is also starting to get popular as well:

deep-fried-pizza-480-3.jpg

Is that a batter burger or a pastie*?

No idea if i'm spelling that right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

What in the blue fook is that?

That folks, is a deep fried pizza. On chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

That folks, is a deep fried pizza. On chips.

Jesus, I thought things like that were illegal everywhere except Glasgow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Awec, can you please explain how skinny you are because based on the last two pages you should be the size of your average American.

Teferi wrote: »
    Awec, can you please explain how skinny you are because based on the last two pages you should be the size of your average American.

I would like to say it's down to my highly active lifestyle - but that lifestyle is a myth. :D

But reality is that I seem to have a fast metabolism. I just finished a bar of chocolate that contains like 1000 calories or something, unfortunately I won't put on a pound. :(

As mentioned on the NZ thread, the coming days commemorate Armistice Day. I've always had a somewhat disbelieving fascination with the whole notion of WW1 and that, in relatively modern times, such an event could come to pass. It was brought back to me last night when browsing Reddit I came across an image of the original, handwritten copy of Wilfred Owen's Dulce et Decorum Est taken from the National Library in Britain. I'm sure many on here would be familiar with the poem if they studied English in an Irish secondary school in the 1990s.

It always takes on a somewhat more poignant feel when you realise that Owen died one week exactly (his 95th anniversary was last Monday) before Armistice Day. As the story goes, the telegram notifying his mother of his death arrived on Armistice Day as the bells tolled in their village, signalling peace had been reached.

wilfredowenlge_zps87d1f0d1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Reading that poem in secondary school was the first time I realised the potential power of language and I think probably ended up having more influence on my life than most things I experienced in secondary school. Not that it was a favourite among the things I studied, but it made me realise how much I could enjoy the process I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Doing Leaving Cert now and trust me Owen still features heavily

In fairness he's one of the few poets that I can listen to without feeling the urge to decapitate myself with a blunt ruler, that poem in particular is outstanding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I would like to say it's down to my highly active lifestyle - but that lifestyle is a myth. :D

But reality is that I seem to have a fast metabolism. I just finished a bar of chocolate that contains like 1000 calories or something, unfortunately I won't put on a pound. :(

I had fast metabolism once...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Actually, I'm pretty sure there'll be takeaway in there somewhere. Abrakebabra for some turkish cuisine probably.

Tried that once when I first arrived in Ireland. Never again. Awful.

Reading that poem in secondary school was the first time I realised the potential power of language and I think probably ended up having more influence on my life than most things I experienced in secondary school. Not that it was a favourite among the things I studied, but it made me realise how much I could enjoy the process I think

Those poems grabbed my attention and shook me when I was studying for my junior cert. I remember reading the above, Anthem For Doomed Youth and Base Details by Siegfried Sassoon and finding them mesmeric.

It's funny how things identify with people. I could go through 95% of my English syllabus from those six years and people would not recognise anything I read out. Yet, if I was to turn to any of my friends who were in school with me back then and say "What passing bells, for those who die as cattle?" they will instantly reply "Anthem For Doomed Youth".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Buer wrote: »
    Those poems grabbed my attention and shook me when I was studying for my junior cert. I remember reading the above, Anthem For Doomed Youth and Base Details by Siegfried Sassoon and finding them mesmeric.

It's funny how things identify with people. I could go through 95% of my English syllabus from those six years and people would not recognise anything I read out. Yet, if I was to turn to any of my friends who were in school with me back then and say "What passing bells, for those who die as cattle?" they will instantly reply "Anthem For Doomed Youth".

I had to contrast the Owen poem with the Rupert Brooke one. The Owen one is genius, Brooke's is good too but overly idealistic.

Tox56 wrote: »

In fairness he's one of the few poets that I can listen to without feeling the urge to decapitate myself with a blunt ruler, that poem in particular is outstanding

I can't recall Owen being on my Leaving Certificate course; I would assume the syllabus has changed in the last 12 years. I recall Emily Dickinson and Elizabeth Bishop featuring heavily. Philip Larkin too, I think. It all blurs a bit now. I much preferred the rawness of the poems that featured on the junior cycle, to be honest, than the aloof nature of someone like Larkin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

He wasn't on the Leaving Cert course when I did it a few years ago...... that poem was on the Junior Cert course.

I loved English, it was by far my best subject, but poetry wasn't really my thing tbh...

Although, I did like some of the points those people were trying to make, I just prefer short stories/novellas/novels to poems. That's just me, I guess. Thing I admire most, which is probably why I liked English, is creativity/imagination.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    He wasn't on the Leaving Cert course when I did it a few years ago...... that poem was on the Junior Cert course.

I loved English, it was by far my best subject, but poetry wasn't really my thing tbh...

Although, I did like some of the points those people were trying to make, I just prefer short stories/novellas/novellas to poems. That's just me, I guess. Thing I admire most, which is probably why I liked English, is creativity/imagination.

Yeah he's more JC , unfortunately (I don't really know why). I feel exactly the same on English/poetry, with very few exceptions I cant find poetry at all interesting despite loving English

mfceiling wrote: »
    And that was the "smiles" clinic....the "low fares" dentist...not

I just went to them earlier. Next time, I'll pay for the more expensive dentist or just call a spade a spade and go to my butcher.

At one point, when they were doing the polish, they actually caught my tongue in the brush/buffer thing and not just for a split second. My tongue was getting whipped around at freakish speed as I tried to say "Excuse me, I believe this isn't going quite according to plan" which actually came out as "Hnnngggg grrrrsssshhhh bbbbllllpppp" followed by several tears running down my face.

I haven't been to the dentist in years, I am too afraid to go because it's guaranteed to cost a lot and he or she will probably tell me off. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I preferred the old poll... :/

• Advertisement

I haven't been to the dentist in years, I am too afraid to go because it's guaranteed to cost a lot and he or she will probably tell me off. :o

Same here! The missus is always giving out, she's one of those perfect teeth people, and whilst there's nothing really wrong with mine I don't want to go cuz they'll scold me for not having gone to a dentist in like 20 years. :P

Believe me, the only truly upsetting part of going to the dentist is when they show you the treatment plan and cost. I'm pretty sure they recommended more fillings to me than I have non-filled teeth left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I was under the impression you were born in 1956

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Jesus, didnt realise you're so young!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

.ak wrote: »
    I preferred the old poll... :/

Both of you will get so drunk you'll make me a mod.

Then, shít will get real.

I voted for awec. Surely he has no more than a pint of blood in his body, his alcohol blood levels will be through the roof by the time I get to searsons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Obviously we will require independent updates throughout the night as to how they are progressing.

.ak wrote: »
    I voted for awec. Surely he has no more than a pint of blood in his body, his alcohol blood levels will be through the roof by the time I get to searsons.

that and he will be on 'foreign' beer due to the lack of Harp so anything could happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

oh, really?

RuggieBear wrote: »
    oh, really?

Sure we've no budget left for any more mods anyway! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

RuggieBear wrote: »
    oh, really?

I'll get my coat...

I'll get my coat...

you're leaving the pjs then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Shiiiiit it was ten years ago when I did my leaving. Way to make me feel old!

And thanks to all the rest of you for reminding me how little effort I made at the time. I can't remember any of these poems - I can just remember that we studied Sylvia Plath and Emily Dickinson.

Can't decide whether or not I want to go and buy the new Battlefield today or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Can't decide whether or not I want to go and buy the new Battlefield today or not.

Same boat as me. Not sure I can justify 60 quid!

I played the beta. Thought it was very meh. Exact same as BF3 as far as I could see. I only played for 30 mins though. I have no time for BF or COD these days.

Shiiiiit it was ten years ago when I did my leaving. Way to make me feel old!

And thanks to all the rest of you for reminding me how little effort I made at the time. I can't remember any of these poems - I can just remember that we studied Sylvia Plath and Emily Dickinson.

In your defence Dulce et decorum est isn't a Leaving Cert poem (I don't think so anyway), I learned it in first year for eg. Always stuck with me though

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Same boat as me. Not sure I can justify 60 quid!

Aye price is a bit steep.

I often skim popular threads and only read the posts that have a few thanks after them. Just so you know Ugo Moyne space experience, I read any post you thank due to your quadruple barrel name messing this up! It looks like a ton of users thanked it at a glance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Grimebox wrote: »
    I often skim popular threads and only read the posts that have a few thanks after them. Just so you know Ugo Moyne space experience, I read any post you thank due to your quadruple barrel name messing this up! It looks like a ton of users thanked it at a glance

It's a cross I have to bear

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement