Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I see Mike James is warming your bench Matthew. You don't win 8 in a row for no reason - ruthless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Hagz wrote: »
    I see Mike James is warming your bench Matthew. You don't win 8 in a row for no reason - ruthless.

Only picked him up today. A free agent. Him or TY Hilton is rather spoilt for choice. Of course I could drop Nelson and play both. I hope I can win this week, help keep you out of the playoffs. You're very dangerous if Rodgers comes back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

awec wrote: »
    Can't decide whether or not I want to go and buy the new Battlefield today or not.
    Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Same boat as me. Not sure I can justify 60 quid!
    Grimebox wrote: »
    I played the beta. Thought it was very meh. Exact same as BF3 as far as I could see. I only played for 30 mins though. I have no time for BF or COD these days.

I only buy the BF series for PC. BF3 was absolutely muck on the consoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Jury duty over. I plan to spend the evening gorging on junk food and Community in celebration

matthew8 wrote: »
    Only picked him up today. A free agent. Him or TY Hilton is rather spoilt for choice. Of course I could drop Nelson and play both. I hope I can win this week, help keep you out of the playoffs. You're very dangerous if Rodgers comes back.

Yeh I wanted to pick him up instead of Richardson (who has been absolutely rubbish this season), had to get Ellington instead.

Things have gotten off to a great start with RG3 but I can't see me winning. The site always over-predicts how well Cruz and Fitzgerald will do. I wish I had at least one of Charles or Gronkowski :(

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Shiiiiit it was ten years ago when I did my leaving. Way to make me feel old!

And thanks to all the rest of you for reminding me how little effort I made at the time. I can't remember any of these poems - I can just remember that we studied Sylvia Plath and Emily Dickinson.

I did mine 23 years ago young fella! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

I was under the impression you were born in 1956

Your impression is correct. Tox56 is what is known as a "mature student".

I often skim popular threads and only read the posts that have a few thanks after them. Just so you know Ugo Moyne space experience, I read any post you thank due to your quadruple barrel name messing this up! It looks like a ton of users thanked it at a glance

For me, any post more than a few lines MUST have paragraphs. I don't do wads of text, especially on an iPhone. Call me a stickler, old-fashioned etc, but that's the way it is for me...

Swiwi. wrote: »
    For me, any post more than a few lines MUST have paragraphs. I don't do wads of text, especially on an iPhone. Call me a stickler, old-fashioned etc, but that's the way it is for me...

tl;dr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If a post has 3 or 4 paragraphs then I just pick the one that has the shortest words in it, quote the post, delete the rest of it, and then post the exact opposite. That's the key to making an argument last 200 pages. I've never even attempted to read one of molloyjh's posts.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

"What's your name boy?"

"Django. The D is silent."

What a movie. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Please tell me you even post correctly in text messages. I do not do text speak. I text with apostrophes, commas and full stops and with the words written correctly. I genuinely despair when I see younger people who cannot tell the difference between there, their and they're. Your and you're. Where, were and wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

"What's your name boy?"

"Django. The D is silent."

What a movie. :D

Was good, but an hour too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Was good, but an hour too long!

QT started falling desperately in love with himself in the late nineties. Despite the acclamation that Django and Inglorious B@stards enjoyed, neither were a patch on Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction, in my opinion.

I think his films have become ludicrously self indulgent and overly long. He needs to be told that not everything he does is genius; please employ an editor.

"You spent 76 years on this plantation Stephen, but I noticed, you didn't mention kneecapping"

*Django kneecaps Stephen*

I actually think this is one of QT's few good flicks.

Buer wrote: »
    QT started falling desperately in love with himself in the late nineties. Despite the acclamation that Django and Inglorious B@stards enjoyed, neither were a patch on Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction, in my opinion.

I think his films have become ludicrously self indulgent and overly long. He needs to be told that not everything he does is genius; please employ an editor.

Absolutely. His interview with Bashir on channel 4 news was the icing on the cake for me.

I thought it was a great movie, it's definitley one of my favourites. However, it also contains one of my least favourite scenes where Tarantino tries to do an Aussie accent.

An interesting fact - when DiCaprio slams his hand down and the table and his hand opens up, that wasn't intentional. DiCaprio is just that much of a badass that he carries on. But obviously when he smears it in your ones face that's fake blood.

Tarantino sounded more South African than Australian tbh.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Please tell me you even post correctly in text messages. I do not do text speak. I text with apostrophes, commas and full stops and with the words written correctly. I genuinely despair when I see younger people who cannot tell the difference between there, their and they're. Your and you're. Where, were and wear.

Ah mfceiling, it's love at first post... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Hagz wrote: »
    I thought it was a great movie, it's definitley one of my favourites. However, it also contains one of my least favourite scenes where Tarantino tries to do an Aussie accent.

There are certainly great moments in it. The scene where they sit around the table is compelling; Christopher Waltz is a wonderful actor. But then there are scenes like the QT cameo and I end up just rolling my eyes. If Waltz wasn't in Django and Inglorious B*stards, they'd be half the films, I think. I think it was a good film that could have really been a great one.

I remember looking forward to seeing Kill Bill but when I went to see it it, the longer it went on, the more it meandered; taking over four hours to get through that story is just too much. The whole anime sequence was pretty ridiculous, I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

.ak wrote: »
    BF3 was absolutely muck on the consoles.

:o

I sank months into BF3 on the PS3 when I was between jobs. It was one of the most enjoyable times of my life.

I cannot wait to get home for Christmas and to stuck into the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Tox56 wrote: »
    In your defence Dulce et decorum est isn't a Leaving Cert poem (I don't think so anyway), I learned it in first year for eg. Always stuck with me though

I don't know if that makes me look worse or better, tbh. What the hell did I do for my leaving then?!

In my defence, I became much more interested in what I was studying at university.

The joys of turning 6.

Daddy i'm just going to open my presents now and then we'll have some breakfast, ok?

*looks at phone* - 5.33

Don't half envy you young fellows who are still in bed at this time of the morning, with an evening of rugby, junk food and pints to amuse you!!

The joys of turning 6.

Daddy i'm just going to open my presents now and then we'll have some breakfast, ok?

*looks at phone* - 5.33

Don't half envy you young fellows who are still in bed at this time of the morning, with an evening of rugby, junk food and pints to amuse you!!

Just woke up :cool:

The joys of turning 6.

*looks at phone* - 5.33

That's nothing. We had 1am 3am 5am (or so it seemed). Harden up.

That's nothing. We had 1am 3am 5am (or so it seemed). Harden up.

Those days are long gone swiwi....

Remember them well........from the comfort of the spare room!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Tarantino sounded more South African than Australian tbh.

That movie was almost flawless but this part was completely shoe horned in. He was awful

Buer wrote: »

The movie's logical ending was
    When Waltz killed Di Caprio, Django shooting his way out rescuing the missus
    the hour tacked on after than was just totally unnecessary

• Advertisement

I personally thought Dicaprio was the outstanding talent in that movie. Waltz just felt like a variant of his Inglorious Bastards character to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Shaggy looking good tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Anyone here watch Love/Hate? Season finale on in 30 minutes!

Been living for it the last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Haven't been up to date in this series. I guess I should stay off facebook considering absolutely everyone spoiled the finale of the last series

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

YOU'RE GOING DOWN PUDSY!!!!

• Advertisement

Weird enough series finale,
    I thought a major character would have been 'clipped'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I really think Love Hate has gone to ****e. Very nonsensical

Jimmy Graham is going to make my Monday morning that much worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Spoiler tags people!!!!! saying what didn't happen can be just as bad as saying what did happen

Spoiler tags people!!!!! saying what didn't happen can be just as bad as saying what did happen

Sorry JSB!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Only started watching Love/Hate in season 3 and thought it was amazing. Still thought season 4 was good, but a long way off season 3. It sets things up nicely for season 5 though.
    Was I the only one who expected the arms dealer guy to get word to Franno about what happened with the wife?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Thought the latest season of it was decent enough, a good slow burner. Sadly it seems that most of its viewers don't appreciate slow burners though, I guess thinking of plotlines is too taxing on their brains

P_1 wrote: »
    Thought the latest season of it was decent enough, a good slow burner. Sadly it seems that most of its viewers don't appreciate slow burners though, I guess thinking of plotlines is too taxing on their brains

I def enjoyed it more than others, but it's still fair to say it wasn't as good as last season.

Ah come on now, what exactly about the plot was complex?

People were mainly moaning about the disjointed nature of the series, multiple angles that were not resovled or resolved in a very poor manner!

I'd be annoyed too by people only wanting action and killings, but I don't think that was the case, I think the series just lost its way. Its still enjoyable though, but nowhere near Season 2 or 3 imo.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I def enjoyed it more than others, but it's still fair to say it wasn't as good as last season.

Yeah true, guess it depends on your viewpoint (gonna spoiler this just in case)
    to me Season 3 was all action where season 4 was more about building up for the big payoff, although it really has to be a fairly massive payoff now to justify such a long build up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

I don't know what other shows you watch if you think this is a slow burner! Sure they try and pack as much as they can into every episode.

Yeah true, guess it depends on your viewpoint (gonna spoiler this just in case)
    to me Season 3 was all action where season 4 was more about building up for the big payoff, although it really has to be a fairly massive payoff now to justify such a long build up
    There needed to be some form of pay-off in the finale though. All the plot lines pretty much came to nothing. The police failed to make a case, the Nidge-Franno tension didn't lead to anything really, the IRA threat came and (apparently) went. The only bit of pay-off was seeing Nidge finally lose it. Assuming that he has. But that kind of came out of nowhere really.

molloyjh wrote: »
    There needed to be some form of pay-off in the finale though. All the plot lines pretty much came to nothing. The police failed to make a case, the Nidge-Franno tension didn't lead to anything really, the IRA threat came and (apparently) went. The only bit of pay-off was seeing Nidge finally lose it. Assuming that he has. But that kind of came out of nowhere really.
    Yeah the lack of any real payoff did take away from it a bit, having said that they really would have booked themselves into a corner if any of the threats against Nidge actually worked seeing as his character is pretty much the main part of the show now.

nananananananananananananananananananananananananananananan
    ananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananana
    nnananananananananannananananananananananananananananananananananan
    nananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananan
    nananannanananananananananananananananananananananananananananana
    BATMAN!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Switzerland don't do mince pies.

This is a travesty. My Christmas is ruined!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement