Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I thought The Returned went to crap after about five episodes. They didn't seem to know what they wanted to do with the story. The older twin is pretty hot though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

any beard mocking will lead to instant bans

signed.
    mod with beard

As long as you're a guy justsomebloke, and not of the female persuasion hiding behind a pseudonym...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I might never have been his biggest fan when he was making Hollywood movies, but in the last couple of years this guy has become a bit of a legend...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Robbie Keane scored the first goal of the MON-Keane reign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Robbie Keane scored the first goal of the MON-Keane reign.

I know he's much maligned these days but his goal scoring record at international record is incredible. Something like 62. Crazy considering how poor Ireland have been over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

I know he's much maligned these days but his goal scoring record at international record is incredible. Something like 62. Crazy considering how poor Ireland have been over the years.

He's only much maligned by people who don't appreciate a great footballer.
    Reads the game better than most & always knows where to run & when to do so.
    If he was English & had 62 goals he'd be knighted in the queens new years honours list :)

He's only much maligned by people who don't appreciate a great footballer.
    Reads the game better than most & always knows where to run & when to do so.
    If he was English & had 62 goals he'd be knighted in the queens new years honours list :)

If he'd only scored 50 he'd be there!

To put 62 international goals into perspective.

Same amount as Ronaldo (Brazilian) and Drogba.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_footballers_with_50_or_more_international_goals

Insane record

• Advertisement

If he'd only scored 50 he'd be there!

To put 62 international goals into perspective.

Same amount as Ronaldo (Brazilian) and Drogba.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_footballers_with_50_or_more_international_goals

Insane record

If he was playing with players like Scholes, Lampard, Rooney etc he'd have scored a lot more than 62 goals for them methinks.

I could watch Israel Dagg all day

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

RTE re showing that show on Home and Away now, I think we've had enough of the Aussies today thank you RTE

I thought The Returned went to crap after about five episodes. They didn't seem to know what they wanted to do with the story. The older twin is pretty hot though.

Only on episode 5 at the moment. And I wouldn't agree re the older twin I'm afraid. :P

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Miley Cyrus on XFactor there - hasn't a note in her head ffs, if she was a contestant she'd be sent packing.

awec wrote: »
    Miley Cyrus on XFactor there - hasn't a note in her head ffs, if she was a contestant she'd be sent packing.

I'm afraid your going to have to hand in your man-card on your way out the door. Nice having you

awec wrote: »

Jesus wept awec delete that post now man!

I was in the kitchen getting food and my ma was watching it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I shamelessly watch it. Barlow is currently singing his own song that sounds a bit Mumford. Good tune.

Don't watch xfactor, but anyone who finds that man voiced, knock kneed, no arse tart attractive needs to get out a bit more on a Sunday nite. Lads, yere shameful! :P

• Advertisement

vaginastadium_620x310.jpg

Unfortunate design for Qatar's new stadium...

Swiwi. wrote: »

Ha good one Swiwi....

You are joking right?

molloyjh wrote: »
    Ha good one Swiwi....

You are joking right?

No!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11159381

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

The Theatre of Dreams

:cool:

Suits the shower of <mod edit>flowers</mod edit>!

France making a good comeback v Ukraine in their 2014 qualifier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Massive 5 minute turnaround in Sweden

P_1 wrote: »
    Massive 5 minute turnaround in Sweden

Final result on aggregate: Ronaldo 4 - Zlatan 2

Holding out any hope for the All Whites overnight Swiwi.?

• Advertisement

Holding out any hope for the All Whites overnight Swiwi.?

None whatsoever. Our tactics of defending like drains and kicking away any possession with Hail Mary long balls failed miserably last time out, and I don't see that changing.

None whatsoever. Our tactics of defending like drains and kicking away any possession with Hail Mary long balls failed miserably last time out, and I don't see that changing.

That tactic sounds depressingly familiar for some strange reason...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

For some inexplicable reason I can access literally no website on the internet except boards.

Is the rest of the internet down?

Podge_irl wrote: »
    For some inexplicable reason I can access literally no website on the internet except boards.

No... maybe its a DNS problem though and boards is resolving because it's in the local cache. Is google not working?

ipconfig /flushdns

from command prompt.

You can right click on your network connection in the system tray and hit the "troubleshoot" option, should tell you if there's an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

.... We are legion?

• Advertisement

Switzerland finally deciding to shut themselves off so...

Its a DNS problem alright, does't appear to be local though cause my phone wasn't working over the wifi either.

Perhaps Swisscom are just ****.

Switzerland finally deciding to shut themselves off so...

You should be worried. That means the war is coming.

I'll build a memorial to you all when beautiful, neutral, absurdly fortified Switzerland is the only country left in the world.

You should be worried. That means the war is coming.

I'll build a memorial to you all when beautiful, neutral, absurdly fortified Switzerland is the only country left in the world.

Is it really? How so?

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Is it really? How so?

All sorts of secret hideaways from WWII in the mountains - not sure how much of it is maintained, though.

• Advertisement

Is it really? How so?

As Swiwi said a lot of mountain bunkers. Every apartment built post 1970 or so has to have a fallout shelter in the basement. Supposedly the bridges are all ready to be blown at surprisingly short notice. And every Swiss male has an assault rifle at home!

All sorts of secret hideaways from WWII in the mountains - not sure how much of it is maintained, though.
    As Swiwi said a lot of mountain bunkers. Every apartment built post 1970 or so has to have a fallout shelter in the basement. Supposedly the bridges are all ready to be blown at surprisingly short notice. And every Swiss male has an assault rifle at home!

Ye I knew about the high gun ownership, but didn't know about the rest of the stuff.

The bridges bit is especially bizarre! I'll be honest, I enjoy my history and know a fair bit on WWII, but i know next to nothing about what the Swiss we at in that period.

Ye I knew about the high gun ownership, but didn't know about the rest of the stuff.

The bridges bit is especially bizarre! I'll be honest, I enjoy my history and know a fair bit on WWII, but i know next to nothing about what the Swiss we at in that period.

Not something to raise in friendly conversation either! Ok, they got their country magnificently prepared for a possible German invasion...but a few less savoury things went on to, such as storing up gold etc. It's like asking the French about the exploits of their army in WWII - better stick to the Resistance movement.

There's a nice drama on RTE "Generation War", in German with subtitles, available on the player. 1st episode so far, I think there are 3 total.

There's a nice drama on RTE "Generation War", in German with subtitles, available on the player. 1st episode so far, I think there are 3 total.

Cheers, might give it a try, would be interesting to see a docu from a german perspective.

New poll needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

American Poetry is a load of ****. I really don't know why we need to know about this crap and I normally don't mind poetry....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

American Poetry is a load of ****. I really don't know why we need to know about this crap and I normally don't mind poetry....

It ain't all bad. It can even be more accessible and less dreary than a lot of the Irish and English poets. But not Sylvia Plath. Never Sylvia Plath. Allen Ginsberg, Walt Whitman, Langston Hughes are all easy reading and have wonderful, vivid lines.

"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix,
    angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Buer wrote: »
    It ain't all bad. It can even be more accessible and less dreary than a lot of the Irish and English poets. But not Sylvia Plath. Never Sylvia Plath. Allen Ginsberg, Walt Whitman, Langston Hughes are all easy reading and have wonderful, vivid lines.

"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked,
    angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night."
    They would be fine if we covered them. Theyre in the textbook but have an essay due tomorrow and am stuck with William Carlos Williams, HD,
    WCW does my head in

Buer wrote: »

Since we're speaking culture, I watched that new film version of "Much ado about nothing" recently. Some of Shakespeare's 16th century wit is lost on me, but it's still a good play.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement