Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Don't often go to the cinema, but I went to see Gravity the other day.

Was good. Not unbelievable, but still pretty high quality, I enjoyed it a lot. And some of the visuals are amazing. Sandra Bullock is a little annoying though.

Would recommend it to those who haven't seen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Anyone bought one of pat ingoldsby's books off him in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Don't often go to the cinema, but I went to see Gravity the other day.

Was good. Not unbelievable, but still pretty high quality, I enjoyed it a lot. And some of the visuals are amazing. Sandra Bullock is a little annoying though.

Would recommend it to those who haven't seen it.

I second this. Saw it in the imax there a few days back. The sound is amazing in that screen. It's a solid 4/5 from the sensory experience alone. I'm usually a hater of 3D but this film seamlessly nails it. I didn't even notice it was 3D for the majority of the film which to me is a plus. Just don't get hung up on the weak premise and slightly annoying characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Had 2 cans of beer last night & have a bloody hangover this morning. :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Grimebox wrote: »
    I second this. Saw it in the imax there a few days back. The sound is amazing in that screen. It's a solid 4/5 from the sensory experience alone. I'm usually a hater of 3D but this film seamlessly nails it. I didn't even notice it was 3D for the majority of the film which to me is a plus. Just don't get hung up on the weak premise and slightly annoying characters.

Said it whhen I came out of the lighthouse - they should have just called it "3D". There wasn't much to it besides the visuals. Pure hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Gravity's script is god awful, but it's one of the most amazing visual experiences I've ever had in a cinema

Saw it in IMAX last week

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Were you drinking Harp? You'd be safer drinking hemlock.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

had a few myself and im fresh as a daisy :)

Buer wrote: »
    Were you drinking Harp? You'd be safer drinking hemlock.

Some cheap Canadian beer, would have been safer drinking bloody harp!

• Advertisement

Ended up in the Porterhouse after the game last weekend, serious spot, good prices, massive selection and dozens of foreign beures

Mixing craft beers makes for one hell of a hangover though, particularly when followed up by 4 or 5 jagerbombs in the Village

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Anyone see The Counsellor? Really bizarre film to be honest, great cast but huge amounts of monotonous dialogue and the plot dynamics really didn't work, don't think i'd be recommending it..

Ended up in the Porterhouse after the game last weekend, serious spot, good prices, massive selection and dozens of foreign beures

Mixing craft beers makes for one hell of a hangover though, particularly when followed up by 4 or 5 jagerbombs in the Village

You think??

Anything over a fiver for a pint, i'd consider normal in town, but not good!

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    You think??

Anything over a fiver for a pint, i'd consider normal in town, but not good!

For a nice beer I think it is. Especially considering you'd play close to the same for a pint of piss in Temple bar!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Why would any Irish person go to Temple Bar?

I went there for Paddies day a few years back and ended up there one Thursday evening a couple of years back paying 6 something for a pint.

I'd never go there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Why would any Irish person go to Temple Bar?

I went there for Paddies day a few years back and ended up there one Thursday evening a couple of years back paying 6 something for a pint.

I'd never go there again.

I handed over a 20 for three pints in The Temple Bar a while back. The bar tender asked for another 40c. That's right, €6.80 a pint

• Advertisement

Best pub in that area is Mulligans.

/me heads to the beers thread...

Is it time for an invite-only thread? Not the whole forum - just one thread. Getting sick of the massive influx of bilge that match days bring.

someone PM me when it's safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

We could set up a boards rugby group?

Pudsy33 wrote: »

I'd be up for that. It was impossible to talk about rugby in the match thread yesterday after the game with the amount of bull**** posts flowing

Either the typical : "typical Ireland, always bottlers" or the " ROG would have gotten that kick", "sick of these moral victories" posts

• Advertisement

Pudsy33 wrote: »

You can't set social groups up any more on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

awec wrote: »
    You can't set social groups up any more on boards.

Bollox! Is there anything of that ilk still around?

Sort of. There are private forums - forums that only specific people can see, read and post in.

Sort of. There are private forums - forums that only specific people can see, read and post in.

Is there a way to set on up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

dregin wrote: »
    Is it time for an invite-only thread? Not the whole forum - just one thread. Getting sick of the massive influx of bilge that match days bring.

Do they exist? I was thinking something like that would be good, so the regulars could interact around match-time without all the crazies making discussion impossible. At the same time maybe it would be kind of exclusionary.

Could always set up the forum to be request access like the soccer forum, that would probably stop the day trippers on match day

don't go private.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Could always set up the forum to be request access like the soccer forum, that would probably stop the day trippers on match day

Would stop a lot of other people as well.

Yeah, an all-out invite only approach is a bit too aggressive. Maybe an invite only sub-forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Careful, you'll give awec ideas.... if I find a harp private forum then we all could be in danger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

hmmm a private rugby forum to talk about......

....american football fantasy football

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

dregin wrote: »
    Yeah, an all-out invite only approach is a bit too aggressive. Maybe an invite only sub-forum?

Only if I control who gets invites.

I've had enough of Buer's hasty, ill-thought out bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

.ak wrote: »
    Careful, you'll give awec ideas.... if I find a harp private forum then we all could be in danger.

Could awec invite himself, though?

My internet conked out during the first half of the game...... I couldn't bring myself to read it after, was so so gutted. Still am tbh, feel empty inside :(

But is it in any worth my while reading through the match thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

But is it in any worth my while reading through the match thread?

Avoid that place at all costs.

(well at least yesterday's posts)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Only if I control who gets invites.

I've had enough of Buer's hasty, ill-thought out bull****.

Podge, there's only two things I hate in this world: racism and the Swiss.

(I'm considering you Swiss)

Stayed away from the match day thread since about 10am yesterday & didn't read a single post there until about 7pm as I thought it might have cooled down then.......Jesus was I wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Just caught the end of against the head. Joanne Cantwell is pregnant, heart broken :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Burgo wrote: »
    Just caught the end of against the head. Joanne Cantwell is pregnant, heart broken :(

That'll learn you not to use contraception :D

• Advertisement

A Café in Belfast has just introduced the Goliath XXL Breakfast:

1461875_10152099057402238_1482867538_n.jpg

How many on here would fancy their chances at getting through that in one sitting, withing the 45 minute limit? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

...I'd probably back myself to finish that.

Dunno, that's a lot of bread.

Would need about 5 bottles of brown sauce to even attempt it, along with about 10 pots of tea.

I love the token tomatoes. :D

Easy.

I don't really like egg or mushrooms though, my pickiness would beat me :(

Do you get it for free if you do it?

Easy.

I don't really like egg or mushrooms though, my pickiness would beat me :(

Do you get it for free if you do it?

It's £9 (which is really cheap considering how much there is), you get a fiver back if you finish it in 45 minutes.

They were saying earlier that everyone who has attempted has failed, and it's always the bread that gets them.

The toast would be the killer....whats the things to the left of the sausages?

Also needs more fried eggs

• Advertisement

I love the token tomatoes. :D

Carbs don't count if you have a bit of fruit...?

Look like hash browns.

It's £9 (which is really cheap considering how much there is), you get a fiver back if you finish it in 45 minutes.

They were saying earlier that everyone who has attempted has failed, and it's always the bread that gets them.

Not too bad......That is a challenge.

I quite like bread, provides a nice buffer. It doesn't look as much as would be in a whole french stick.

Pancakes.

Top left is soda farls, bottom left is potato bread, beside the soda farls is pancakes and below that is normal toast.

Looks like pancakes.

If you did finish it I imagine the rest of your day would be spent lying in bed feeling sorry for yourself.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement