Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Definitely stick with Love Hate until the end of season 2 at least.

I love GoT as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Genearl GoT's
    Oh here is a character that the audience could warm too. Oh wait they're now dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Genearl GoT's
    Oh here is a character that the audience could warm too. Oh wait they're now dead

That's the best thing about it IMO. He's a fantastic writer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

.ak wrote: »
    That's the best thing about it IMO. He's a fantastic writer.

I occasionally think he forces it in though.
    also, he's introduced a couple characters and then killed them off in later books and I just didn't care

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I occasionally think he forces it in though.
    also, he's introduced a couple characters and then killed them off in later books and I just didn't care
    I know what you mean. I think that's part of the beauty of it tho. People die, especially in those sort of 'times' (I know it's fantasy but it definitely has a medieval feel to it). It doesn't really matter who they are, if they're good, bad, indifferent. But as a program/book it's very refreshing that he has no attachment to characters and if it fits the story they die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I know what you mean. I think that's part of the beauty of it tho. People die, especially in those sort of 'times' (I know it's fantasy but it definitely has a medieval feel to it). It doesn't really matter who they are, if they're good, bad, indifferent. But as a program/book it's very refreshing that he has no attachment to characters and if it fits the story they die.
    e6WgISE.jpg

EDIT: I'm not sure why I thought that would work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Genearl GoT's

Spoilers for all 5 books.
    I actually think the whole "killing off everyone" thing is way overstated. Ned is the only genuinely main character who is definitely dead.

But I agree with .ak that it is refreshing- characters like the Red Viper, Tywin, Robert, Joffrey, Robb, Balon, Quentyn......they died and it advanced the plot. All made stupid decisions, which were in-character...and they paid the price.

Although I hope we see the Hound again. Dany can die right now for all I care, her chapters in the 5th book were shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The last few posts read like a CIA report on redacted steroids on a phone

The problem is I couldn't have given a **** when Quentyn died. It's my problem with the whole series, I don't care about half the characters now. And Jesus the Dany chapters make me want to tear my hair out- how the hell did he think half a book of just her was a good idea.

P_1 is bad at fantasy football

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

JESUS, I like the series but have never read the books. So those grey boxes are so tempting even though I know they'll ruin it for me

P_1 is bad at fantasy football

Woefully so it seems. Just booked myself a holiday that involves going to both a Borussia Dortmund and a Clermont match. Should be fun

JESUS, I like the series but have never read the books. So those grey boxes are so tempting even though I know they'll ruin it for me
    DON'T DO IT UGO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

GRRM is a ****ing terrible writer.

He's a good worldbuilder but the last books were woeful. he needs an editor to reign him in

RuggieBear wrote: »

He's a good worldbuilder but the last books were woeful. he needs an editor to reign him in

I don't think he's a terrible writer - the first three books are both fantastic stories and very well written. The talent is obviously there.

He has clearly lost the run of himself though. 4 was ok but 5 was almost torturous to get through. I would say he is a deeply flawed writer rather then a terrible one.

And yes, in desperate need of both an editor and a cattle prod up his ass.

The program is grand and entertaining even if it's nothing special. Anytime there's a lul we get a nice pair of boobs to stare at

The problem is I couldn't have given a **** when Quentyn died. It's my problem with the whole series, I don't care about half the characters now. And Jesus the Dany chapters make me want to tear my hair out- how the hell did he think half a book of just her was a good idea.
    I didn't really care when Robb died...it was a big moment but Robb himself...meh. Still an excellently-written chapter.

Dany is just dull. Tyrion's chapters were a disappointment. In fact, Theon and Davos pretty much saved the book, and I never really liked their chapters that much.

Definitely don't do it. Just...don't.

I don't think he's a terrible writer. In fact, I think he's an excellent writer. I've read a lot of his short stories and stuff and they are, in general, really good. The quality of his actual prose is pretty decent. And as for character-building, there's not many better in fantasy...in fact, he is the best.

He's a good world-builder, but I think there are a few better....it's characters where he excels and really makes it real.

He has lost the run of himself a bit though...he does need an editor, but at this stage of his career, I think he pretty much has complete control. It has left the books to meander a bit. But I have faith for the 6th one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

My Experience of reading Dany's chapters in the 5th book
    Danerys was approached by Ahdjdf Al-hizzaghhga and warned her that the Sons of Anarchy along with Hizzahhhaatt Ul-Hazurptugh are planning to deal with the sellsword company commanded by Hijar the Fragrant to attack the shavepates. Dany is confused. Barristan says something sensible, but no one listens.

I don't think he's a terrible writer - the first three books are both fantastic stories and very well written. The talent is obviously there.

He has clearly lost the run of himself though. 4 was ok but 5 was almost torturous to get through. I would say he is a deeply flawed writer rather then a terrible one.

And yes, in desperate need of both an editor and a cattle prod up his ass.
    Fireball07 wrote: »

I don't think he's a terrible writer. In fact, I think he's an excellent writer. I've read a lot of his short stories and stuff and they are, in general, really good. The quality of his actual prose is pretty decent. And as for character-building, there's not many better in fantasy...in fact, he is the best.

He's a good world-builder, but I think there are a few better....it's characters where he excels and really makes it real.

He has lost the run of himself a bit though...he does need an editor, but at this stage of his career, I think he pretty much has complete control. It has left the books to meander a bit. But I have faith for the 6th one.

perhaps i'm being unfair and hyperbolic or just frustrated that what started out so well has become a
    ****ing tedious exercise in wandering down ratholes and introducing yet more ****ing characters

i have v little faith tbh and i'll have to see if i could be bothered reading book 6 when it is released (I'll probably be busy with grandchildren by then)

The real problem is that he started out with intentions for a trilogy, then he had to revise the plan of having a time gap (don't know how that ever would have worked) and then by cutting books into two, he had books with all build-up but no climax. And the whole Meerenese knot thing.

I think book 6 will bring some closure to stuff that's been happening in books 4 and 5, and really speed things up for the last book, as ACoK did for ASoS. Could be a long way off yet.

• Advertisement

Oh, I completely share your frustration Ruggie. I didn't even particularly enjoy reading book 5.

However, it is my hope that while he has gotten horrifically sidetracked it is all building up to a climactic ending in books 6&7. The world is laid at this point to me, and if he starts introducing more characters and locations then he can piss off. If book 6 isn't gripping me half way through I'll likely just give up.

Anyone been following the Ian Watkins story? Easily one of the most unsettling things I've ever read

Anyone been following the Ian Watkins story? Easily one of the most unsettling things I've ever read

That the singer guy?

Not been following it closely. Honestly I find the whole thing impossible to fathom.

That the singer guy?

Not been following it closely. Honestly I find the whole thing impossible to fathom.

ya, It's shocking really, and I'm not someone that is easily shocked. But after reading about it I genuinely felt ill

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea very disturbing. Not only him, but the mothers of the children too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It really bothered me. This is one of the sort of things you read about on Reddit when a thread on the deep web comes up and you glance over what people are saying, thinking this sort of stuff cannot exist before backing out of the page, with revulsion. There are things out there that go beyond the comprehension of the darkest realms of imagination.

When it is brought home that some of these things actually go on and for a public figure to be involved, it takes on a much more disturbing reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

It also makes the video for their song 'A Town Called Misery' a lot more sinister.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Made the mistake of going to the daily mail for full details.

All I can say is, thank **** the jury didn't have to go through the evidence. I'd gladly have been done for contempt of court to get out of jury duty for that one.

I like the way he writes, but I agree he wanders... Thing is he's a screenplay writer by trade isn't he?

• Advertisement

dregin wrote: »
    Made the mistake of going to the daily mail for full details.

All I can say is, thank **** the jury didn't have to go through the evidence. I'd gladly have been done for contempt of court to get out of jury duty for that one.

Must be hard to string a jury together actually.

dregin wrote: »

I said the exact same thing to my wife last night...i'd have refused point blank.

so i cancelled my sky TV subscription on Saturday...was coming up to the end of my 12 month 1/2 price deal. Have everything except BT: sports, movies, HD...can just about justify the cost at the half price charges but not at full whack. I also have fibre with them which is awesome so wasn't cancelling that.

Cancelling was easy enough despite them trying to hardsell me on choice and quality(?). Wasn't expecting the half price deal or anything again but they were not offering me anything decent (best was 5 quid off full price) to stay.

Got a call today offering me 10% off everything, which I turned down, came back to me with 35% off everything which I said I was tempted by but couldn't make that decision over the phone with out consulting the wife. He said he "needed to talk to his manager" and came back to me a few moments later and said I could keep the 50% off for another year with no new contract and 31 days cancellation if I agreed to it there and then.

I said it all sounded good except i was also thinking of going with BT broadband to get BT Sports for free...So he offered 5 quid off the fibre price if i signed up to it for another 12months. I turned that down and then he offered 10quid off which i accepted.

So now i'm paying 10 quid less per month than the half price deal i got last year and i can cancel at any time with a months notice and I've gotten my fibre for cheaper which i wasn't going to cancel anyway.

Might use the tenner to get BT sport...

tl;dr: I reckon Sky are **** scared of BT at the moment and are more malleable than usual in extracting "deals" (loath to say bargains as there is no such thing as a bargain with pay tv).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

That's an impressive piece of haggling,fair play.

On that Watkins story,an article I read said that the jury members would be given counselling afterwards,but that's the sort of thing I don't think you'd ever forget.It's also hard to read as someone who's quite firmly opposed to the death penalty,because as much as I would oppose a hypothetical execution,I'm hardly going to shed a tear if another prisoner kills him.

I like the way he writes, but I agree he wanders... Thing is he's a screenplay writer by trade isn't he?

He has written screenplays, used to write for the Twilight Zone and has written a bit for this show.....but he's a novelist/short story writer first and foremost.

He only started screenplays a lot later in his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Swan Curry wrote: »
    That's an impressive piece of haggling,fair play.

On that Watkins story,an article I read said that the jury members would be given counselling afterwards,but that's the sort of thing I don't think you'd ever forget.It's also hard to read as someone who's quite firmly opposed to the death penalty,because as much as I would oppose a hypothetical execution,I'm hardly going to shed a tear if another prisoner kills him.

In my line of work I sometimes have to see images of that sort (maybe once every couple of months I end up having to deal with it). It's harrowing, almost impossible to forget images like those once you've seen them, it makes you extremely angry.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Yea very disturbing. Not only him, but the mothers of the children too.

I read a bit about this when it was first reported about a year ago, haven't read anything about it recently and quite frankly, I don't really want to, it's disgusting.

But from what I read then.....what he did is absolutely horrible and he deserves whatever the worst punishment they can give them is.... but the mothers of the children is worse really. I can't even fathom it.....that is your child and you're going to allow something like that happen?????

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

so i cancelled my sky TV subscription on Saturday...was coming up to the end of my 12 month 1/2 price deal. Have everything except BT: sports, movies, HD...can just about justify the cost at the half price charges but not at full whack. I also have fibre with them which is awesome so wasn't cancelling that.

Cancelling was easy enough despite them trying to hardsell me on choice and quality(?). Wasn't expecting the half price deal or anything again but they were not offering me anything decent (best was 5 quid off full price) to stay.

Got a call today offering me 10% off everything, which I turned down, came back to me with 35% off everything which I said I was tempted by but couldn't make that decision over the phone with out consulting the wife. He said he "needed to talk to his manager" and came back to me a few moments later and said I could keep the 50% off for another year with no new contract and 31 days cancellation if I agreed to it there and then.

I said it all sounded good except i was also thinking of going with BT broadband to get BT Sports for free...So he offered 5 quid off the fibre price if i signed up to it for another 12months. I turned that down and then he offered 10quid off which i accepted.

So now i'm paying 10 quid less per month than the half price deal i got last year and i can cancel at any time with a months notice and I've gotten my fibre for cheaper which i wasn't going to cancel anyway.

Might use the tenner to get BT sport...

tl;dr: I reckon Sky are **** scared of BT at the moment and are more malleable than usual in extracting "deals" (loath to say bargains as there is no such thing as a bargain with pay tv).

I'm not sure of this is a new thing as such. A guy I work with says he does this every year.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'm not sure of this is a new thing as such. A guy I work with says he does this every year.

probably me reading too much into it but they just seemed to fold very easily to me saying no each time!

probably me reading too much into it but they just seemed to fold very easily to me saying no each time!

I'd say you might have just gotten lucky with the person you got on the other end of the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Good thread on this over in bargain alerts....seems sky will offer almost anything to get you to stay.

I'm on the basic 25 quid a month (don't mind paying that, as i reckon the whole sky plus with pause, record,rewind is up there with running water for me). Often thought about cancelling to see if i could knock off a few quid.

Got a letter from them today offering me a free on demand connector worth 12.99....probably take it and throw it up on adverts for a tenner.

• Advertisement

Mike Ross wrote:
    “I played a lot of Quake in my youth, and then moved on to the Battlefield series. Battlefield 4 has to take first place. It encourages team work – you simply won’t win without it. You don’t have to have a teenager’s reflexes either: even if you’re not a great shot you can be an invaluable asset to your team by healing, resupplying or laying down covering fire. And flight sim nuts can dominate the air and really help win a game. In other games you can run around and be a one-man army, but in Battlefield 4 you won’t last long if you try that.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/the-50-best-videogames-of-all-time-1.1610521?page=3

Quake man eh? Probably has an account here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭OldRio

Just found out tonight I'm going to be a Grandad. Good grief I've just typed Grandad. Me.
    Happy for my eldest but FFS Grandad.
    To make things worse I'm going to bed tonight with a woman who will be known as Nana in a few months time.

Congratulations :D

Republic of telly arrived on site today to film a sketch.

Bernard was a sound lad. Came in to the canteen and had a bit of banter with me and the mate while we had a cup of tea. Pity Jennifer Maguire wasn't there!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

mfceiling wrote: »
    Republic of telly arrived on site today to film a sketch.

Bernard was a sound lad. Came in to the canteen and had a bit of banter with me and the mate while we had a cup of tea. Pity Jennifer Maguire wasn't there!!

I really do like The Republic of Telly. I know it's prob be on for years but between working and studying and then travelling too I only watched my first episode of it during the Summer, I think.

RTE do get a lot of warrented stick but The Hardy Bucks and The Republic of Telly would be two of my favourite shows now. I also only found about The Hardy Bucks in the Summer too, RTE had their Christmas special on when we'd the very hot weather in July too lol

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I really do like The Republic of Telly. I know it's prob be on for years but between working and studying and then travelling too I only watched my first episode of it during the Summer, I think.

RTE do get a lot of warrented stick but The Hardy Bucks and The Republic of Telly would be two of my favourite shows now. I also only found about The Hardy Bucks in the Summer too, RTE had their Christmas special on when we'd the very hot weather in July too lol

Check out Irish Pictoral Weekly...Barry Murphy really is a funny fecker...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyeOzCEXf2o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsPdynJ-xMI

Sometimes rte sign some gems. Like soupy norman...

Sometimes rte sign some gems. Like soupy norman...

Now that was quality

Anyone watching the toy show? :D

Bossy wee girl on now. :pac:

Just ordered myself an Xbox One. Held off for as long as I could. :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement