Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

matthew8 wrote: »
    And a fifth! 20 yards receiving and yet 50.7 fantasy points.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't break the record tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Bloody fog. Geneva has been shrouded in it for the last week and now its caused my flight from London to be delayed for 3 hours so I only just got into the office which means I have to take a half day off! Screw you fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Warren Gatland extends his WRU contract until 2019

from corcoran

Just back from the dentist and I don't think I've ever experienced so much pain.

Torture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I went home from college the other day to discover my brother had manage to get a spike go right through his calf, in one side of his leg and out the other.....

About a year ago, one of them went through his foot.... he's not the most lucky of people.

I imagine it was quite sore tbh, obviously I'm the lucky one in the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I went home from college the other day to discover my brother had manage to get a spike go right through his calf, in one side of his leg and out the other.....

About a year ago, one of them went through his foot.... he's not the most lucky of people.

I imagine it was quite sore tbh, obviously I'm the lucky one in the family.

What's he at?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

awec wrote: »
    Wikipedia says Dublin.

Wikipedia says Rathangan which is deepest, darkest Kildare! They can kindly keep them.

.ak wrote: »
    What's he at?! :confused:

Soccer training, U-14s... first time, the spike was sticking out of the bottom of the bag, he was tackled, went flying into it.

2nd time, they were all throwing the spikes, javelin-throwing or something..... they were told to stop, one last person throw the spike. He was tying his lace, spike bounced off the bag, speared him right through the calf.

I guess he was just lucky it didn't go through his throat or eye or something. Apparently they're having a meeting to consider getting rid of the spikes now :P

• Advertisement

Soccer training, U-14s... first time, the spike was sticking out of the bottom of the bag, he was tackled, went flying into it.

2nd time, they were all throwing the spikes, javelin-throwing or something..... they were told to stop, one last person throw the spike. He was tying his lace, spike bounced off the bag, speared him right through the calf.

I guess he was just lucky it didn't go through his throat or eye or something. Apparently they're having a meeting to consider getting rid of the spikes now :P

Jesus, lucky by all accounts really.

.ak wrote: »
    Jesus, lucky by all accounts really.

He's taking it pretty well like, I imagine it was very sore at the time, but it's not much now, there's not even much of a wound considering it was obviously very deep.

You would wonder about the wisdom of having such sharp spikes with people of that age... because, they are going to throw them, that's obviously going to happen. Cones would surely be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Only NOW they are considering getting rid of the spikes?!

They should have been gone after the first incident. Jesus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I need to do Christmas shopping. We recently discovered we will have 4 more people to our house for Christmas so that's 4 more pressies I've to buy!

sullivlo wrote: »
    I need to do Christmas shopping. We recently discovered we will have 4 more people to our house for Christmas so that's 4 more pressies I've to buy!

Let them eat cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

He he...

...but there's no way Dean Richards will ever coach NZ!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Arrgh, stupidly lost weight recently so now none of my dresses fit me :(

I wonder if my folks consider cantos appropriate for Christmas dinner :P

Clothes shopping, another reason to dislike Xmas :(

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

decisions wrote: »
    Arrgh, stupidly lost weight recently so now none of my dresses fit me :(

I wonder if my folks consider cantos appropriate for Christmas dinner :P

Clothes shopping, another reason to dislike Xmas :(

Aren't cantos a poem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

There is a thread on AH about how much to give as a wedding present, so without having to wade through the trolling or "jokes", how much do you reckon?

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    There is a thread on AH about how much to give as a wedding present, so without having to wade through the trolling or "jokes", how much do you reckon?

Someone said 500 notes over there, near spat my coffee out.

Whatever you want is my answer. There should be no expected minimum or any of that jazz.

A lot of politics with weddings and gifts down here - I can't stand it.

Whatever you want is my answer. There should be no expected minimum or any of that jazz.

I have one in a few weeks, gf isn't going so on my todd. I thought 50 would be grand, but reconsidering after reading some of the posts on that thread! If I was 10 years older and higher on the career ladder i'd consider 100, but it seems steep enough to me now tbh!

• Advertisement

I have one in a few weeks, gf isn't going so on my todd. I thought 50 would be grand, but reconsidering after reading some of the posts on that thread! If I was 10 years older and higher on the career ladder i'd consider 100, but it seems steep enough to me now tbh!

50 quid is perfectly fine lad!

Last wedding I went to we gave 50 smackeroos. Its perfectly fine (though getting a few people together and delivering it en masse makes it look better!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

A ton is plenty if you are there as a couple...

A nespresso coffee machine is a great present - will come in under budget and believe me it will be the most used item in the kitchen....

unless they are tea drinkers.

As i've posted before - getting a wedding invite is like getting a summons!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

If you're going on your own, 50, a couple 100. The idea is to cover the cost of your meal & let the groom buy you a pint or 2 & he will still have a few quid in his pocket afterwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

50 quid is perfectly fine lad!

This. Having gotten married earlier in the year myself I can tell you that's the norm.

molloyjh wrote: »
    This. Having gotten married earlier in the year myself I can tell you that's the norm.

Cool, cheers for the answers lads!

Dunno if it's just an irish thing, but I could be called every name under the sun and it's water off a ducks back, but to get called tight is a whole other story :pac:

Cool, cheers for the answers lads!

Dunno if it's just an irish thing, but I could be called every name under the sun and it's water off a ducks back, but to get called tight is a whole other story :pac:

Speaking of ducks and tight, there's a saying up home of "being as tight as a duck's arse".

Is that used down here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Speaking of ducks and tight, there's a saying up home of "being as tight as a duck's arse".

Is that used down here?

Yep, we also have one thats kinda the opposite, its, "As loose as awec's arse after a feed of harp' do ye have that one up there?

Yep, we also have one thats kinda the opposite, its, "As loose as awec's arse after a feed of harp' do ye have that one up there?

Nope, don't have that one. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

as someone that is getting married next year, at least 500, maybe 750.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

There's no minimum amount. We received anything from 50 up to 500. Cover the meal with a few quid on top. If money is tight, do a small collection of gifts for 30 quid. Couple of people did that for us and we appreciated it more than the cash gifts.

Give a decent card. Sounds stupid but makes it look a lot better and the bride will notice it! Only costs an extra €2 or €3.

As long as you're not the guy who gives nothing, you'll be ok. There are always a few of those and they're remembered!

An idea is to give them the money in the currency of wherever they're going on honeymoon. We got to South Africa without cash aside from one present in Rand which came in very handy for tipping when we arrived and a few small items. Easy way to show a little thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Why is this place so quiet this morning? I have no distraction from work :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

for wedding gifts i usually give something valuing between 100 and 200 or cash. but it depends on your circumstances. Times are much tougher than when all my friends were getting married.

Wedding are expensive.

Time off work, travelling, staying, drinking and clothes to wear (for women anyway because god forbid they are seen wearing the same expensive frock more than once).

I had 3 years of all my mates getting married and i didn't have any leave (nor money) for any of my own holidays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Why is this place so quiet this morning? I have no distraction from work :(

I spy with my little eye, something beginning with............P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

BBDBB wrote: »

Crap it's PRL they are here for our off topic thread.

BBDBB wrote: »

Procrastination?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Been finished college one week and I'm already getting out of bed at 4pm and falling asleep at 7am. What the hell is wrong with me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Grimebox wrote: »
    Been finished college one week and I'm already getting out of bed at 4pm and falling asleep at 7am. What the hell is wrong with me

Nothing you're living the dream .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

I handed up my last assignment on monday and im already at 1pm/3am+ and not very happy about it... turns out i like routine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I handed in my last assignment today, 1 semester down :)

Feckin students...

:pac:

These are making me laugh every day...

Have to say I'm really not a fan of Derek. I loved the Office, Extras and Merchant's new show Hello Ladies, but I just can't get into Derek.

Hooked on the XFM podcasts at the moment.

Wooooooooooo. Last day of work for the year tomorrow followed by the Christmas party.

Followed by a 1030am flight to Dublin that I really hope I wake up for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Wooooooooooo. Last day of work for the year tomorrow followed by the Christmas party.

Followed by a 1030am flight to Dublin that I really hope I wake up for.

Are you taking the working man's Aer Lingus or the posh people's Swiss Air?

• Advertisement

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Are you taking the working man's Aer Lingus or the posh people's Swiss Air?

Aer Lingus unfortunately. Its the only flight to Dublin from Geneva, Swiss only fly from Zurich. Its a pain in the arse cause I have to take the Friday off if I want to go home for a weekend.

Its also a pain in the arse cause I get frequent flyer status with Swiss through work so I wouldn't have to be at the airport as early if I was flying with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Hagz wrote: »
    Have to say I'm really not a fan of Derek. I loved the Office, Extras and Merchant's new show Hello Ladies, but I just can't get into Derek.

I'm completely the opposite. I find Gervais and Merchant utterly charmless individuals and I've never found their television shows funny but Derek has something about it which I like.

Their podcasts are excellent though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Hagz wrote: »

Derek had my balling my eyes out on two occasions. I can't think of any other piece of media that has done that to me.

Derek had my balling my eyes out on two occasions. I can't think of any other piece of media that has done that to me.

I'd something in my eye the episode where he met his father!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Championship game in the fantasy football, who shall win BoardsBowl I?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement