Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

OldRio wrote: »
    Good grief I still feel bad about it.

We reared 2 geese for Christmas. 1 for the table and 1 for the freezer. They would follow me everywhere on the farm. In the cow byre. In the stables. In the sheds. In the barns. When I went fishing on the lake they would follow my small rowing boat and swim around it. If anything spooked them they would run to me, for protection.
    They would greet me on a morning with their calls but God help any other animal that went near them. They would hiss and charge with their heads down. The wife wouldn't go near them.
    Yesterday was the day. Whilst preparing for the deed, the geese true to form followed me around. Watching me putting up rope from which they would hang. Watching me cut open the bottom of the feed bags in which they would lay. Watching me sharpen the axe.

I've killed many an animal and it always effects me but nothing like yesterday.
    It looks like Nut Roast for Christmas next year.

I'm a vegetarian after reading this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

OldRio wrote: »
    Good grief I still feel bad about it.

We reared 2 geese for Christmas. 1 for the table and 1 for the freezer. They would follow me everywhere on the farm. In the cow byre. In the stables. In the sheds. In the barns. When I went fishing on the lake they would follow my small rowing boat and swim around it. If anything spooked them they would run to me, for protection.
    They would greet me on a morning with their calls but God help any other animal that went near them. They would hiss and charge with their heads down. The wife wouldn't go near them.
    Yesterday was the day. Whilst preparing for the deed, the geese true to form followed me around. Watching me putting up rope from which they would hang. Watching me cut open the bottom of the feed bags in which they would lay. Watching me sharpen the axe.

I've killed many an animal and it always effects me but nothing like yesterday.
    It looks like Nut Roast for Christmas next year.

Must be very hard to work on a farm with animals for slaughter. You'd get very attached to them. It'd be very easy not to slaughter them but then that's a dangerous thing.

When I first read your post I thought your last line read 'It looks like Nut Roast for Christmas this year.', i.e; you didn't slaughter them in the end.

So I read it out loud to my girlfriend thinking it was a very endearing story. However as I read it out loud I read the line correctly. She's now in tears. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Anyone else doing Irish Times Chequered Flag Crossword?
    Im 80% way through so should be done sometime tomorrow. Seems tougher this year but maybe that's just me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭OldRio

.ak wrote: »
    Must be very hard to work on a farm with animals for slaughter. You'd get very attached to them. It'd be very easy not to slaughter them but then that's a dangerous thing.

When I first read your post I thought your last line read 'It looks like Nut Roast for Christmas this year.', i.e; you didn't slaughter them in the end.

So I read it out loud to my girlfriend thinking it was a very endearing story. However as I read it out loud I read the line correctly. She's now in tears. :pac:

If the girlfriend is in a weepy mood. Do not let her watch this. I watched it last night and was in bits.

That's a tear jerker allright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Disney-Super-Bowl-parade-3-0204.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Please tell me that there is someone else out there who has nothing done for christmas.....no presents bought for herself, no clothes washed and ironed for the holidays, no cards bought or sent and generally nothing done at all.

Looks like the local Topaz will get a bit of trade tonight!!

mfceiling wrote: »
    Please tell me that there is someone else out there who has nothing done for christmas.....no presents bought for herself, no clothes washed and ironed for the holidays, no cards bought or sent and generally nothing done at all.

Looks like the local Topaz will get a bit of trade tonight!!

I thought I'd have it all done early this year, but nope, still have a few bits to get. I'm always running around town on Christmas eve.

I thought I'd have it all done early this year, but nope, still have a few bits to get. I'm always running around town on Christmas eve.

I'll probably tip in with the kids later to check out the live crib. Might run in to McDonalds or Argos to get herself a voucher!!

I remember years ago you could buy £1 vouchers for Argos -the brother took great delight in buying one each for the family!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

so the ferry was a bit rough yesterday...puked non stop. thankfully we had shelled out for our own cabin.

got so bad and the waves so high that the captain changed course to stop the waves crashing into the ship. At one stage he was telling all passengers to stay seated as they manoeuvred the ship around..

i've been on less turbulent roller coasters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Internet (amazon). Never need to set a foot in town. Unless I want to...

May as well take the opportunity to wish everyone Merry Christmas! There has been some good craic on the forum this year. Biggest disappointment (believe it or not) was Ireland's last minute loss to NZ. Wishes for 2014 (among others): SXV title for Crusaders, 6N championship for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Anyone jumping into lake/sea tomorrow for charity?
    Will be jumping into Lough Derg tomorrow. 11th year in last 13 that Il be getting in. Only years not to do it were when good level of ice had to be broken for people to get in

40 foot punishment as per usual...

You're both mental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Internet (amazon). Never need to set a foot in town. Unless I want to...

May as well take the opportunity to wish everyone Merry Christmas! There has been some good craic on the forum this year. Biggest disappointment (believe it or not) was Ireland's last minute loss to NZ. Wishes for 2014 (among others): SXV title for Crusaders, 6N championship for Ireland.

And a league & HC double for Munster of course ;)

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Fireball07 wrote: »
    And a league & HC double for Munster of course ;)

Santa is an Ulster fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Jesus was born in the stables in the RDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I thought he was born in Clontarf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Congratulations Sitsburgh :)

I went out for a few pints and now im half cut :(

Get a good feed tonight and ill be right as rain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just opened a bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape with a rubber cork. And it's not even that good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Just opened a bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape with a rubber cork. And it's not even that good.

From supervalue at €13-14 a bottle? I bought 2 of them :(

I've a bike to build and a flicker scooter....but the fire is lovely and warm, the guinness is cold and the television is good.

I've a bike to build and a flicker scooter....but the fire is lovely and warm, the guinness is cold and the television is good.

you mean Santa delivers them flat packed?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

awec wrote: »
    you mean Santa delivers them flat packed?! :eek:

How else would they fit down the chimney...?

He'll have bother tonight.....i've a half a bag of polish finest coal roaring up the chimney....i may leave the key out for him!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

same way he gets his fat are down.... magic !!

if you haven't tried roasted brussel sprouts, you're missing out

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

From supervalue at €13-14 a bottle? I bought 2 of them :(

Lidl for a tenner but probably the same craic. Tastes OK by glass four in retrospect.

It's 15 degrees here but I would LOVE a roaring fire.

Ive the fire roaring, sweating my tits off.

• Advertisement

Well, in an effort to fix my sleeping pattern, I stayed up all night a few nights back. Now I am waking up at 3/4am and falling asleep around 7pm.... I can't win

Grimebox wrote: »
    Well, in an effort to fix my sleeping pattern, I stayed up all night a few nights back. Now I am waking up at 3/4am and falling asleep around 7pm.... I can't win

Welcome to pensionerville!!

Happy Christmas to everyone!

Happy Christmas to everyone!

Right back atcha sweetcheeks! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Happy food and present day

Yeah happy Christmas/holidays/festival...whatever you're having yourselves.

Been a long morning...3.30 a.m - "will we check to see if Santa has come"?

"how about no"!!

• Advertisement

Post of the day on boards for christmas day...

This is turning out to be the best christmas ever!!

Post of the day on boards for christmas day...

This is turning out to be the best christmas ever!!

Lol, is there a way to check the post of the day & the previous history?

Lol, is there a way to check the post of the day & the previous history?

Up at the top left, hover of Boards.ie and then click "Post of the Day" just under it. I don't know about the history

Happy Christmas Rugby boardsies! Hope you've all had a good one so far.

I think I ate too much...

I say as I prepare the biggest fry ever witnessed by man.

• Advertisement

I think I ate too much...

I say as I prepare the biggest fry ever witynessed by man.

Mother in law doesn't seem to understand food portions...couldn't move after the dinner yesterday and this morning she puts up a fry like you'd see on man v food. I've gone back to bed with a case of the meat sweats!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Mother in law doesn't seem to understand food portions...couldn't move after the dinner yesterday and this morning she puts up a fry like you'd see on man v food. I've gone back to bed with a case of the meat sweats!!

the best kind of sweats

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Having dinner with in laws at 2pm (basically Christmas dinner round 2) and then hopping in car for 3 hour drive to Dublin to make sure I'm in the family home for 6.30pm for....dinner.

Detox starts tomorrow and will be bleak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hull 2-0 MU after 14 minutes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

2-2 now!

3-2 to Utd, all over now

Lucky gits tbh

Sunderland beat Everton in Goodison for the first time in over 17 years

I'm a happy, happy man :D:D:D:D

Danny Dyer getting roasted alive on the big fat quiz of the year. :pac:

Danny Dyer getting roasted alive on the big fat quiz of the year. :pac:

Not watching, but I'm guessing they are asking him things he wouldnt have a clue about, like spelling his name, or counting to 10, hard shìte like that.
    Quite unfair really when you think of all he has given to the world in his great thespian roles, he's Larry Olivier reborn !

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement