Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Sunderland beat Everton in Goodison for the first time in over 17 years

I'm a happy, happy man :D:D:D:D

I am up home this weekend, and every year up here on Stephens day the local football (soccer) teams play in the big local derbies. My local team won their derby this year for the first time since 1996 and the winning goal was literally the last kick of the game.

Absolutely fantastic and I fully celebrated that winner - mainly because most of my mates support the other lot and I've had 17 years of misery listening to them c**ts. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

awec wrote: »
    I am up home this weekend, and every year up here on Stephens day the local football (soccer) teams play in the big local derbies. My local team won their derby this year for the first time since 1996 and the winning goal was literally the last kick of the game.

Absolutely fantastic and I fully celebrated that winner - mainly because most of my mates support the other lot and I've had 17 years of misery listening to them c**ts. :D

...Dungannon?

...Dungannon?

No, I support a much bigger team than Dungannon. :) They don't really have a proper derby to be honest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25519549

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Wonder if Portadown were involved?

Wonder if Portadown were involved?

Aye! Good guess sir!

Aye! Good guess sir!

My cousin plays for them ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Not watching, but I'm guessing they are asking him things he wouldnt have a clue about, like spelling his name, or counting to 10, hard shìte like that.
    Quite unfair really when you think of all he has given to the world in his great thespian roles, he's Larry Olivier reborn !

He basically tried acting the hard man but they ripped him to shreds. Very funny.

My cousin plays for them ;)

Whom?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Music inspired by JGL :D

---

I was in an Irish bar in America one Sunday night that ended up turning into Karoake bar. The roof was blown off the place by the enthusiasm of the crowd it was insane. When some guy got up and sang the theme song to the Fresh Prince of Bel Air it was like being at a rock concert, I was half expecting lit Zippo lighter to be raised up except for the fact that the crowd was singing so loudly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Hagz wrote: »

I don't understand how Jimmy Fallon has a job

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Grimebox wrote: »
    I don't understand how Jimmy Fallon has a job

If you make it onto the cast of SNL, you're pretty much guaranteed a successful career. The list of former cast members is ridiculous. If you make it, you're set for life. Not a big fan of Fallon but he's very good at impressions and is handy musically which helped nail down a spot with SNL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcdVD95PxwY

If people ever want to know who they're going to be watching in comedy blockbusters and top television comedies in 5 years, just watch a current episode of SNL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

SNL is woejus. I couldn't force myself to sit through an episode.

I quite like Fallon though...

Bobby Moynihan is very funny on it at the moment

• Advertisement

SNL is very geared to American humour and can be hard to get into but some stuff that has come through it is excellent. Wayne's World, Dick In A Box, More Cowbell, Sarah Palin, Celebrity Jeopardy etc. So much stuff that ended up being viral online sketches originated from SNL.

Throw in the live aspect and a different host every week (I don't like Paul Rudd but saw his hosting recently and he was pretty damn funny) and it works.

Old school SNL with Aykroyd, belushi and Murray etc was gold.

It goes through strong periods. But those periods are destined to end as soon as they begin because the show is a stepping stone (IE, Fallon being replaced by Seth Meyers). If you look at some of the people who went through it recently there are some top comedic actors who've been on the show recently (Forte, Hader, Wiig, Sudeikis, Seth Meyers leaving) but they've cleaned house a bit now so I'm not sure who in the current cast is much good. Although I like Moynihan and his Drunk Uncle sketch.

Looking back and reading through the story of SNL and how the highs and lows of the show ebbed with those who were in it is interesting. The show is considered to have had several horrific seasons where wholesale changes were required and multiple cast members were sacked at the end of a season.

When all the original cast and Lorne Michaels (the creator) departed in 1980, the show came close to being cancelled and Eddie Murphy is widely acknowledged as having saved the show almost single handed (scary to think Murphy was only 20 when on the show). The Mr. Robinson sketches (based on Mr. Rogers Neighborhood) were brilliant. David Spade lampooned Murphy in the early 90s on the show in a sketch and the entire studio booed him; Murphy is still revered at SNL. The funniest part about that is Murphy called Spade and completely berated him with Spade apologising like a little boy.

The show was so screwed when he departed that they broke regular policy and hired established comedians for a year to save their bacon for the next season for one season (Billy Crystal, Pamela Stephenson, Martin Short).

Some of the documentaries that have been made on the show and the politics behind the scenes are very interesting. A lot of the most revered stars (Chevy Chase, Bill Murray) are the biggest assh*les that were ever involved it would seem.

Howard Webb is some joker. :mad:

Not having good experiences of referees this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Latest update on Schumacher doesn't sound good for him. I grew up watching him in F1. :(

Induced coma though, it's probably cautionary in case of any chance of haemorrhage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Induced coma though, it's probably cautionary in case of any chance of haemorrhage

More likely hemorrhage => reduced GCS => intubate & ventilate.

At a generic level I hope he pulls through but he gives me the same feelings that lance Armstrong does. Some of his skulduggery on the racetrack was pretty unsportsmanlike.

I recall as a child sitting up late and watching the last race of the season when him and Hill were going head to head and he crashed into Hill to take him out when Hill needed to finish ahead of him to claim the title.

He's probably the single greatest driver of all time but what made him so good is what makes him so difficult to like at times. Win at all costs. Guys like himself. Roy Keane, Armstrong are all amazing athletes in their own right but just do whatever they have to whether it's putting in a wonderful performance or taking things into their own hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Ah here, i dont agree you can put schumi and armstrong in the same bracket. Sure, both have been at the top of their sport and done some questionable things along the way, but taking performance enhancing drugs is a lot worse than anything schumi ever did (imo at least).

Ill be very upset if he doesnt make it through this!

No, you're right. Armstrong is on a plane of his own. Just a comparison in terms of they'll take matters into their own hands to win and go outside the rules. Obviously what Armstrong did was reprehensible in comparison to Schumacher.

I've gone on record before here about drugs in sports and I hate the idea. I think some sports are absolutely destroyed by them. I was fairly active in athletics when younger and followed the Olympics avidly but, in recent years, I really have no faith in any of the top athletes. At great as Bolt, for example, has been for sprinting, I don't believe for a micro second that he's not juiced up to the eyeballs given the circumstantial evidence available.

How many men does it take to massage a footballing superstar?

Is that a jock strap he's wearing?

1557523_10152164426612164_550989056_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

How many men does it take to massage a footballing superstar?

Is that a jock strap he's wearing?

1557523_10152164426612164_550989056_n.jpg

You get a feeling that the lad on the left, with his hands on the neck could just as easily choke the fcuker!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Happy New Year lads and lassies. Have a good one.

Thought I'd go into London and watch the fireworks with some friends. We got there, took one look at the state of play and decided to pack it in! It was madness in there, massively packed with people!

• Advertisement

Thought I'd go into London and watch the fireworks with some friends. We got there, took one look at the state of play and decided to pack it in! It was madness in there, massively packed with people!

London? Packed with people? No way!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

It's Madness in Dublin too as it happens

.ak wrote: »
    London? Packed with people? No way!

;)

It seemed twice as busy as the Olympics though. Just people being herded around by the police. We just had some chicken and beers and went and watched it all on bbc instead!

Happy New Year lads.

Seriously, yous are all class like.

Happy New Year lads.

Seriously, yous are all class like.

We love you too awec!

We love you too awec!

Am I your favourite mod then? :pac:

Shhh! You'll make ak jealous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

photos of men in jockstraps being prepared for a probing and love ins with mods????

its all gone very graham Norton :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

durkadurka wrote: »
    It's Madness in Dublin too as it happens

Very quiet in Leitrim.
    Always very quiet in Leitrim.
    Not the same since the council took down our one set of traffic lights.
    Lovely memories them lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

2000_joaquin_phoenix_gladiator.jpg

^^^^ we need a new poll? ;)

RuggieBear wrote: »
    2000_joaquin_phoenix_gladiator.jpg

Do it properly! :p

Gladiator_Thumb_Down_01.gif.pagespeed.ce.wObShtGZxu.gif

I am the liquor.

I feel grand this morning! :D

Man U beaten at home by Spurs...must be heaven for all you ABU's out there.

I follow Wolves so...

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    Man U beaten at home by Spurs...must be heaven for all you ABU's out there.

I follow Wolves so...

I'm a Liverpool follower but not exactly rabid. More an interest in seeing them do well and checking their results these days rather than ever bothering to watch 90 minutes. Having Staunton, Houghton and Aldridge in their team made them very easy to like when I first started watching sports avidly.

But I must say I take a small amount of pleasure in seeing Man Utd slide. Anyone who grew up in the 1990s will have had to endure massive amounts of Man Utd fans in their school who were an utter nightmare to discuss football with (side note, if you didn't, you were probably one of said United fans that was loathed).

Long may their fall from grace continue. :)

If they finish outside the top 4 it would be outstanding. :D

Darts are great tonight.

Live streams FTW

New ep of Sherlock on right now on bbc1

One of the two of us has to change our avatar mfceiling :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement