Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

mfceiling wrote: »
    Man U beaten at home by Spurs...must be heaven for all you ABU's out there.

I follow Wolves so...

I'm slightly worried seeing as Spurs have won back to back matches in Old Trafford. As a Spurs fan this is strange and unusual :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Grimebox wrote: »
    One of the two of us has to change our avatar mfceiling :pac:

I always laughed at the head on that penguin...had him on a key ring years ago.

Must actually have a look through the list again though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

#SherlockLives

Good episode in fairness. I enjoyed it anyway. No way they were going to be able to satisfy anyone after 2 years of waiting.

Wife watching sex in the city 2 here beside me - this really has to be the biggest pile of steaming shite that was ever made

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Wife watching sex in the city 2 here beside me - this really has to be the biggest pile of steaming shite that was ever made

:pac:

You need more than 1 TV mate.

awec wrote: »
    :pac:

You need more than 1 TV mate.

I have a 19 inch portable in the kitchen that barely works and it's freezing in there.

I have an even worse portable in the bedroom that picks up the channels that it determines on any given day.

I'll suffer in the heat of the living room, with a lovely fire on - and a steaming crock on the "good" tv!!

I have a 19 inch portable in the kitchen that barely works and it's freezing in there.

I have an even worse portable in the bedroom that picks up the channels that it determines on any given day.

I'll suffer in the heat of the living room, with a lovely fire on - and a steaming crock on the "good" tv!!

One thing I don't like about living in an apartment is the lack of a fireplace. :(

I'd have it lit non stop this weather!

One thing I don't like about living in an apartment is the lack of a fireplace. :(

In fairness it is class to have...the amount of people who visit and comment on it is unreal.

Even when the oul pair come to visit they like to see it lit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

you could always pretend that you are turned on by it and start dry humping her leg or something to that effect. she may never watch it with you again. it's a bold strategy, but it might just pay off.

In fairness it is class to have...the amount of people who visit and comment on it is unreal.

Even when the oul pair come to visit they like to see it lit.

Your fireplace specifically? Is it some sort of fancy one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

I miss having a fireplace. Here (Estonia) they just don't do it. It's all wood burning stoves or central heating. Considering I'm going to be snowed in soon enough I'd like nothing more than a nice big fire and an cuppán tae, also a rarity. :(

Your fireplace specifically? Is it some sort of fancy one?

No just the fact that there is an open fire lit.

We had a birthday party at home for the eldest girl a couple of years ago (week before xmas). I had the fire lit from early morning. The amount of parents that stood in front of it during the party - the general consensus was that most of them shouldn't have replaced their open fires!! I thought most people still had open fires nowadays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Our family home is a big georgian town house, and the big open lit fires in almost every room are one of my favourite thing about it, but to actually keep the room warm it costs a fortune in fuel!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

No just the fact that there is an open fire lit.

We had a birthday party at home for the eldest girl a couple of years ago (week before xmas). I had the fire lit from early morning. The amount of parents that stood in front of it during the party - the general consensus was that most of them shouldn't have replaced their open fires!! I thought most people still had open fires nowadays?

Swings and roundabouts. In the 80s and 90s, it became the trend to install a gas fire or block up the fireplace in houses so a lot of premises don't have them any longer. A lot of original fixtures and fittings were done away with particularly in the Dublin area. They were seen as unfashionable. Original features of houses, which are now highly sought after, were torn out. It's a shame. A lot of things like original hardwood flooring, original bathroom suites and open fire places were done away with.

It has come full circle though and people want them again. I'm moving from my apartment into a house in several months that has an open fire. Looking forward to having it greatly.

I'm moving myself in a few months but i think i'll put in a stove this time. Over 70% heat is contained as opposed to about 20-25% from an open fire. In terms of airtightness and controlling heating costs, then the open fire doesn't cut it.

On a side note - anyone know any decent furniture shops in dublin - apart from the obvious (harvey norman, ikea etc)?

On a side note - anyone know any decent furniture shops in dublin - apart from the obvious (harvey norman, ikea etc)?

Best place to go for sheer options, in my opinion, is to take a spin out to the Kylemore Road, at the Naas Road end. Furniture shop after furniture shop. It's where they all were originally before the likes of Harvey Norman and IKEA arrived on the scene. Still good number of them out there with plenty of options and you've a much better chance of speaking with someone who has been working in the area a long time.

There are another few of them together up in Airside in Swords also, more modern (including HN).

Perhaps ask on the Home & Gardening forum? I'm sure there are some good places that are more hidden away.

Herself has a bit of a unique style.......it's called expensive!!

Argos :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Herself has a bit of a unique style.......it's called expensive!!

I know all about that. It's like they have a nose for it. They pick out the expensive stuff without ever needing to see the price tag beforehand.

Herself: I like this one
    Me: How much is it?
    Shop Owner: The most expensive one. She's got good taste.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Leaving furniture aside (and all I'll say is that if you're in for the long haul, than proper furniture is worth the initial hefty outlay up front), I finally managed to watch a film called "City of Life & Death" about the Sino-Japanese battle for Nanjing in WWII. Not exactly enjoyable viewing, but a decent film nevertheless. However, the Russian film "Come and see" remains the best in class of this style of film that I have seen.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Spent yesterday evening in front of this with a book and a pint. Totally amazing. Really don't want to go home!

Lounge+Rathmullan+House+Website.jpg

dregin wrote: »
    Spent yesterday evening in front of this with a book and a pint. Totally amazing. Really don't want to go home!

Lounge+Rathmullan+House+Website.jpg

Where's that?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

.ak wrote: »
    Where's that?

Rathmullan in Donegal. A little off the beaten track, but completely worth the trip.

http://www.rathmullanhouse.com

Swiwi. wrote: »
    the Sino-Japanese battle for Nanjing in WWII. Not exactly enjoyable viewing, but a decent film nevertheless.

Haven't seen the film but no act of war in the last couple of hundred years, including the Holocaust, matches the atrocities of that encounter, for me. Don't think I could handle watching it if it's in any way realistic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

chupacabra wrote: »
    I miss having a fireplace. Here (Estonia) they just don't do it. It's all wood burning stoves or central heating. Considering I'm going to be snowed in soon enough I'd like nothing more than a nice big fire and an cuppán tae, also a rarity. :(
    I'll be sound and offer to post you some tea bags if you want to PM me your address and brand of choice!

• Advertisement

We're all watching the documentary on RTE tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

most definitely!

The man was put on this earth for one reason alone! ... To make a mad documentary with loads of throw away phrases that can be taken out of context! Can't wait. :D

I'm nearly finished his book, its a good read. He comes across much more likeable and personable in the book IMO.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    Haven't seen the film but no act of war in the last couple of hundred years, including the Holocaust, matches the atrocities of that encounter, for me. Don't think I could handle watching it if it's in any way realistic!

Yeah, this side of WWII always flies under the radar. The film is not that gruesome TBH, a lot is implied. At the elderly veteran level, there is still a lot of ill-feeling (even hatred) towards the Japanese in NZ, POWs were treated abominably (Bridge over the River Quai, anyone?), but I think with so many Asians in NZ these days, the younger generation hold no such views.

The one on a guy called Roger, right? Only his mates call him Rog. Yeah, I might catch it...and avoid this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

sullivlo wrote: »
    I'll be sound and offer to post you some tea bags if you want to PM me your address and brand of choice!

Thanks a lot for the offer but I already have a friend back home sending some. :)

They adore their tea here (not as much as coffee mind) but trying to find anything similar to Barrys or Lyons tea is difficult.

I know how you feel now, I'm stuck here watching Hollyoaks. :rolleyes:

I know how you feel now, I'm stuck here watching Hollyoaks. :rolleyes:

Is that the one with all the dollies in it?

Is that the one with all the dollies in it?

yea that's the one. The dollies who cant act.

30 minutes of torture

yea that's the one. The dollies who cant act.

30 minutes of torture

The ginger lesbian is a little cutie in fairness.

Teferi wrote: »
    The ginger lesbian is a little cutie in fairness.

There's a lesbian?

There's a lesbian?

Sadly it seems I am subjected to a lot more Hollyoaks then you...

Teferi wrote: »
    Sadly it seems I am subjected to a lot more Hollyoaks then you...

and gingers :pac:

• Advertisement

"subjected"

Hey hey back off on the gingers. I'm married to one...and she was told twice over xmas that she is the double of Una Healy from the saturdays (had to Google it myself).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Hey hey back off on the gingers. I'm married to one...and she was told twice over xmas thatcher is the double of Una Healy from the saturdays (had to Google it myself).

Thatcher is the double of Una Healy? ......you know, in 40 years time I could probably see it!

Thatcher is the double of Una Healy? ......you know, in 40 years time I could probably see it!

Stupid predictive text.....although there's times she is like Thatcher!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

you mean the lady's not for turning? ;)

Ok, so I see Bullock, Reaves & Cox are turning 50 this year. I remember "Speed", in those days some of my mates thought Sandra was sooo hot! Never did it for me so much. Do remember sneaking into the cinema to see Elle MacPherson in "Sirens" though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

She still looks pretty good in Gravity

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Raspberries

Right so lads, one of my new years resolutions is to meet new people. I'm a big rugby fan, so I was wondering if there was a boards group that meets up to watch matches or anything like that? Or a MeetUp group? Thanks!

Right so lads, one of my new years resolutions is to meet new people. I'm a big rugby fan, so I was wondering if there was a boards group that meets up to watch matches or anything like that? Or a MeetUp group? Thanks!

The sticky beers thread on the top of the forum is used for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Raspberries

.ak wrote: »
    The sticky beers thread on the top of the forum is used for that.
    Dunno how I missed that! Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement