Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Going to a live NFL game. You must have done something terrible to deserve that treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Buer wrote: »
    There are few things better than quitting time on a Friday after a genuinely tough week in work.

I cannot wait for Friday evening.

Aye you you don't have the benefit of ill informed opinions Buer. Your opinions seem to be researched , measured and reasoned.

That requires a level of concentration and balance which I will be ill equipped to sustain. Like my analysis will be limited to " the scrum is fcuked" and "for fcuk sake why can't he hook the bleedin ball?" And finally "ah Leo you're the cheatin'est, dirtiest bastard I ever saw, ya legend"

The Japanese know how to invent weird games! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

durkadurka wrote: »
    Aye you you don't have the benefit of ill informed opinions Buer. Your opinions seem to be researched , measured and reasoned.

That requires a level of concentration and balance which I will be ill equipped to sustain. Like my analysis will be limited to " the scrum is fcuked" and "for fcuk sake why can't he hook the bleedin ball?" And finally "ah Leo you're the cheatin'est, dirtiest bastard I ever saw, ya legend"

I'm more of the quiet obscenity type of person, cursing a plague on the houses of all Ospreys players. I find it therapeutic.

awec wrote: »
    Going to a live NFL game. You must have done something terrible to deserve that treatment.

Ah, it's not as bad as you think. I used be of the same opinion but once you actually see it as a bit of pageantry with some isolated moments of amazing skill and athleticism, fueled by beer and hot dogs, you tend to enjoy it more.

Also, if the game is boring, the cheerleaders are always a welcome distraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Went to the high school game last year in Donnybrook. Was a cracker but it really helped to be much closer to the action. Would hate to watch the game from a distance though as you would have to in the NFL. Didn't like the Notre Dame game for this reason, though the seats were as good as I could have hoped for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Taped the Super Bowl last year and speed watched it in about half an hour . Was brilliant when condensed like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

durkadurka wrote: »
    Taped the Super Bowl last year and speed watched it in about half an hour . Was brilliant when condensed like that

There's actually a mode on. Game Pass that does exactly that. Allows you to watch a game in half an hour, which just shows the action.

Ah, it's not as bad as you think. I used be of the same opinion but once you actually see it as a bit of pageantry with some isolated moments of amazing skill and athleticism, fueled by beer and hot dogs, you tend to enjoy it more.

Also, if the game is boring, the cheerleaders are always a welcome distraction.

But when the pageantry wears off it's really not that great a spectacle. I go over to the Ray Jay and I have to say the game itself is always an anti climax on those trips (which are otherwise pretty great)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Anyone know how long it takes to register with revenue for PAYE?

Is it the PAYE anytime website? If so, I did it a couple of years back and it took about a week if I remember correctly. They post you out a pin once you register.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Synode wrote: »
    Is it the PAYE anytime website? If so, I did it a couple of years back and it took about a week if I remember correctly. They post you out a pin once you register.

I asked about that, but apparently I have to send in a form because it's my first taxable employment... I really should have done this earlier :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Probably about ten of us heading over to the Lions vs Falcons game in October.

With the game ending at about 5pm, it's quite handy to head over and not even have to take a day off work.

Yeah, few of us going to that one as well.

I actually didn't realise it wasn't on at 6 as usual. Wonder what the reason for that is.

In terms of spectacle, I actually do prefer watching the games on TV but its an excuse for a gettogether with friends, a few beers and a bit of entertainment. You really notice the downtime more in the stadium though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Gah. Lost my post....damn mobile.

Went to seahawks playoff last week. Beast Mode and the crowd were mental.

Was pretty hammered by kickoff (live the stereotype!) but all locals and travelling fans in great form.

Didnt drag at all.

And the deed is done. 7 tickets almost exactly on the half way line (and really really really far back!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Playing GTA for the first time with GTA 5. What a game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

It's the bee's knees.

How you've avoided all the other titles I do not know.

.ak wrote: »
    It's the bee's knees.

Only bought a PS3 this Christmas! I was too young for the PS/PS2 titles. ;)

I've GTA4 on the way, €16 on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Only bought a PS3 this Christmas! I was too young for the PS/PS2 titles. ;)

I've GTA4 on the way, €16 on ebay.

This pains me :D

ZX Spectrum 48k here

Jet Set Willy anyone?

GTA 4 is nowhere near as good, the driving in it was terrible.

5 was brilliant. Trevor is the best character. :D

San Andreas was my favourite one though. The map was huge and there was loads to do!

• Advertisement

ssaye2 wrote: »
    This pains me :D

ZX Spectrum 48k here

Jet Set Willy anyone?

CDTV!

awec wrote: »
    GTA 4 is nowhere near as good, the driving in it was terrible.

5 was brilliant. Trevor is the best character. :D

San Andreas was my favourite one though. The map was huge and there was loads to do!

SA was my least favourite. I actually really liked GTA4 and the driving, think it got a bit of a hard wrap for being 'boring' but they were trying to tie into the New York City vibe which is far from glamorous.

I think if we're all being honest though... Vice City is clearly the best. ;)

San Andreas was good, buying the mansion on the island!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

pretty weird timing given that only fools and horses was coming back for a one off as part of sport relief (although he wasn't meant to be in it), wonder will they change the script if the segment hasn't been shot yet

• Advertisement

Rodney: Where was your Dad?
    Trigger: He died a couple of years before I was born.

Mike: Don't try'n be funny with me, Trigger. I'll tell you this much, I've had certificates for my beer.
    Trigger: Yeah, I've had a few days off work with it as well!

Mike: What name have they decided on?
    Trigger: If it's a girl they're calling it Sigourney after an actress, and if it's a boy they're naming him Rodney after Dave!

:D

I still have the overhead 2D version. Damn Yakuza!

I still have the overhead 2D version. Damn Yakuza!

I remember the buzz of being told I couldn't have the game by my dad but managed to sneak into the shop and trading two games for it the next day and the guy behind the till not bothering to ask my age even though I was clearly ~10 and it was +18s.

Probably one of the best games I've played still to this day! Up there with the X-Wing series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

We're officially more popular then football :pac:. In the top 20 programmes of 2013 Ireland V Austria was 20th while Ireland V England was 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I remember the buzz of being told I couldn't have the game by my dad but managed to sneak into the shop and trading two games for it the next day and the guy behind the till not bothering to ask my age even though I was clearly ~10 and it was +18s.

Probably one of the best games I've played still to this day! Up there with the X-Wing series.

The X-Wing series, or at least the original one and the TIE Fighter one, were fecking awesome.

Star_Wars_X-Wing_screenshot.jpg

• Advertisement

This is where I started my gaming:

90190.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

It's the bee's knees.

Limerick citay kid, he's been playing it for real all his life!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

i installed GTA San Andreas on my tablet but it's just impossible to control.

Played a fair bit of an older one on the nexus 7 and its controls were ok.
    I vaguely remember my thumb being a little too big for the contact area of the screen for movement, but it was grand after a bit of practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I'm fairly sure the original GTA is freeware now

Podge_irl wrote: »
    This is where I started my gaming:

90190.jpg

Love a good text adventure.

Hadn't played games in ages, been playing a few recently. FM 2012/FM 2014... got Kotor 2 on steam, incredible game. If it wasn't so buggy, it would be one of the great RPGs of all time- the writing of the characters is just brilliant. Can't wait for Pillars of Eternity to come out.

Playing Half-Life 2 again now, and it really is fantastic. Has aged really well... it's just really well-constructed, all fits together perfectly. Narrative, gameplay, the whole lot.

Bought Deus Ex during the Christmas sales, never played it before, but it's supposed to be one of the greats.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Phoeey

This is a very good game. You can download it to your desktop or download folder and open it with your browser whenever. Just don't delete your cookies our you'll lose your save game.

Bought Deus Ex during the Christmas sales, never played it before, but it's supposed to be one of the greats.

The original?

Playing The Outlast atm from the same crowd who did Amnesia. Both utterly terrifying and great games!

Grimebox wrote: »
    The original?

Aye.

• Advertisement

CRC. :eek:

Aye.

I'm one of the only people in the world that didn't like that game. I gave it another go recently and just couldn't stick it out

Grimebox wrote: »
    I'm one of the only people in the world that didn't like that game. I gave it another go recently and just couldn't stick it out

Interesting... I'll tell you my opinion when I play it :p

It's pretty much universally critically acclaimed, highly praised for story, and I love a good story in a game so I'll probably like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Phoeey wrote: »
    This is a very good game. You can download it to your desktop or download folder and open it with your browser whenever. Just don't delete your cookies our you'll lose your save game.

Seconding Cave Story,it's one of those games that I could play over and over again.

Has anyone else played FTL?It's a great space roguelike,pretty hard but the unlockables make it worth it.

There are some brilliant free indie games out there if you go looking for them.Iji,Barkley-Shut Up and Jam:Gaiden,Dwarf Fortress,Unreal World and Nethack are just a few of a long list of free games that are better than a lot of games you'd pay €50 for!

Swan Curry wrote: »
    Seconding Cave Story,it's one of those games that I could play over and over again.

Has anyone else played FTL?It's a great space roguelike,pretty hard but the unlockables make it worth it.

There are some brilliant free indie games out there if you go looking for them.Iji,Barkley-Shut Up and Jam:Gaiden,Dwarf Fortress,Unreal World and Nethack are just a few of a long list of free games that are better than a lot of games you'd pay €50 for!

Well, plenty of games that cost that are utter shít... some of the lazily-made, rehashed generic games out there really annoy me. Not the games themselves, I can ignore them happily, but I do think it's such a waste that developers/publishers who are raking in huge sums of money don't bother with innovation anymore.

I suppose you can hardly blame them but it's disappointing.

Well, plenty of games that cost that are utter shít... some of the lazily-made, rehashed generic games out there really annoy me. Not the games themselves, I can ignore them happily, but I do think it's such a waste that developers/publishers who are raking in huge sums of money don't bother with innovation anymore.

I suppose you can hardly blame them but it's disappointing.

Same reason movies have gotten so repetitive though - games are costing more and more to make so developers are willing to take fewer and fewer chances.

Same reason movies have gotten so repetitive though - games are costing more and more to make so developers are willing to take fewer and fewer chances.

Actually I would say the exact opposite is true, with kickstarter and the likes of steam's greenlight funding so many games these days.

That's where all the ideas are now though these days, but I think that's a good thing myself.

Actually I would say the exact opposite is true, with kickstarter and the likes of steam's greenlight funding so many games these days.

That's where all the ideas are now though these days, but I think that's a good thing myself.

Well yes, to a point. There is certainly an opportunity to get interesting games off the ground with kickstarter etc. (I've bought in to that Roberts Space Industries thing - looks cool) but for the really big games these days you are talking years of production and millions of dollars. That's bound to make big studios slightly reticent about taking big risks.

Well yes, to a point. There is certainly an opportunity to get interesting games off the ground with kickstarter etc. (I've bought in to that Roberts Space Industries thing - looks cool) but for the really big games these days you are talking years of production and millions of dollars. That's bound to make big studios slightly reticent about taking big risks.

Yeah that's true, there are only a handful of crowd funded games that reach that level of funding. But I believe the market for those smaller games is growing very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Interesting... I'll tell you my opinion when I play it :p

It's pretty much universally critically acclaimed, highly praised for story, and I love a good story in a game so I'll probably like it.

Deus Ex is one of the best games i've ever played, great stroy and hugely immersive world....bear in mind it must be almost 15 years old at this stage tho!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement