Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

What an absolute fool.I know two lads who were promising young players who gave up rugby because of the abuse they got.Only a month after I came out,I was considering giving up rugby because of how some of the lads on the team were treating me.Hopefully this is the nail in Francis' coffin,he's a crap analyst anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

what a moronic thing to say. No respect left for Francis after that, crap analyst anyway and obviously a very small minded man

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Swan Curry wrote: »
    What an absolute fool.I know two lads who were promising young players who gave up rugby because of the abuse they got.Only a month after I came out,I was considering giving up rugby because of how some of the lads on the team were treating me.Hopefully this is the nail in Francis' coffin,he's a crap analyst anyway.

Does what he said not reflect what you experience? One of the first things he said was a rugby dressing room was homophobic.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Does what he said not reflect what you experience? One of the first things he said was a rugby dressing room was homophobic.

It might reflect what he's saying because of clown's like Francis saying Gay people have no interest in sport

From what I've experienced I think the tide is turning in a big way. I don't think the small-minded Neil Francis type is prevalent in a lot of dressing rooms anymore

Jesus that really pissed me off. He really should get the boot from his TodayFM slots

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Why should he get the boot?

Why should he get the boot?

:confused:

I think that's pretty self evident in the homophobic crap he was peddling on Newstalk

:confused:

I think that's pretty self evident in the homophobic crap he was peddling on Newstalk

Not really.

He didn't articulate himself very well but I think his point was that while 10% of the population is estimated to be gay (or is gay I can't remember) that doesn't necessarily mean that 10% of sports people are gay. In his experience it would be a far far less %.

It really boggles the mind how he felt it necessary to come out with that. He has influence as a well known (albeit ****e) analyst , and it's easy to see that young gay guys listening to that interested in or already playing rugby would be completely put off by the sport because of the picture he painted

Not really.

He didn't articulate himself very well but I think his point was that while 10% of the population is estimated to be gay (or is gay I can't remember) that doesn't necessarily mean that 10% of sports people are gay. In his experience it would be a far far less %.

And what about the bit where said the gay people he knew had no interest in rugby?

Badly articulated or a massive generalisation on a whole group of people? Just like his only theory that only 1% of people playing rugby are gay

what he said was massively ignorant at best, and downright homophobic imo. Major media outlets generally don't like providing a platform for that kind of idiocy

• Advertisement

And what about the bit where said the gay people he knew had no interest in rugby?

Badly articulated or a massive generalisation on a whole group of people? Just like his only theory that only 1% of people playing rugby are gay

He said in his experience, he didn't say it was a fact.

He said in his experience, he didn't say it was a fact.

and that makes it better how? He still generalised a whole group of people based on how ever many gay people he knows (Which I doubt is very many considering the sheer ignorance of said comments)

a) All gays don't like sport.

b) most of the gay guys I've met don't like sport

Which is worse?

a) All gays don't like sport.

b) most of the gay guys I've met don't like sport

Which is worse?

Obviously the first one, but I doubt even the most small minded homophobe in the world would claim that no gay person likes sport

It doesn't make what he actually said any better because he could have said something worse

Do you actually agree with him like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

In fairness franno does have a bit of form when it comes to making stupid comments. Wouldn't agree with sacking him better to have his comments questioned to him on air imo

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

He also said that he didn't think you'd find many heterosexual hairdressers. ..

Foot firmly inserted in mouth

‘Gay people don’t play sport because it is too manly’ – Neil Francis

Direct quote. If anyone agrees with that little nugget of ignorance please let me know so I can insert you onto my ignore list

@P1 don't think his views need to be challenged considering how idiotic they are

Obviously the first one, but I doubt even the most small minded homophobe in the world would claim that no gay person likes sport

It doesn't make what he actually said any better because he could have said something worse

Do you actually agree with him like?

Well most of the gay guys I'd have known from school and college and friends wouldn't really be into sport that much. We'd have general conversations about it as you would have with anyone but not indepth discussions.

Not all of course but most.

Does that mean I think all gays don't like sport? No.

Well most of the gay guys I'd have known from school and college and friends wouldn't really be into sport that much. We'd have general conversations about it as you would have with anyone but not indepth discussions.

Not all of course but most.

Does that mean I think all gays don't like sport? No.

Well that's a tiny sample of the gay population! I know three gay guys that play GAA in South Dublin, doesn't mean I can say what percentage play football

Good comment here on the journal on the "not manly enough " line:

Plus that's not even close to the worst thing he saGareth Thomas – As a Rugby Union player he got 100 caps for Wales, 40 tries; 3 caps for British and Irish Lions, 1 try. As a Rugby League player he got 4 caps for Wales and 3 tries. That sounds just about as manly as you can get.

Well that's a tiny sample of the gay population! I know three gay guys that play GAA in South Dublin, doesn't mean I can say what percentage play football

Good comment here on the journal on the "not manly enough " line:

Plus that's not even close to the worst thing he saGareth Thomas – As a Rugby Union player he got 100 caps for Wales, 40 tries; 3 caps for British and Irish Lions, 1 try. As a Rugby League player he got 4 caps for Wales and 3 tries. That sounds just about as manly as you can get.

I didn't say all gay guys don't play sport nor did Francis.

• Advertisement

i wasn't saying that you did. I was using my own experience as a way to show just how stupid it is for Francis to say x amount of people are gay in rugby based on his experiences with the gay people he knows

even if that section was just phrased badly I don't think anything excuses his comment about gay people not being manly enough for the sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

He also said "how many heterosexual men are hairdressers?"

Are you also going to defend those comments?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

To be fair, I'm not entirely sure he's defending Francis. Just trying to contextualise where he thinks Francis is coming from with the comments.

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    He also said "how many heterosexual men are hairdressers?"

Are you also going to defend those comments?

Ha, well I've no experience of hair dressers so I dunno.

But do you have a numerical breakdown of the sexuality of male hairdressers?

Nope, and I def wouldn't go on live radio and try to guess!

If he had said just that I'd be willing to put it down to foot in mouth syndrome, but the other stuff makes his comments much worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

So lets break down what Francis said..

1) Gay men don't like sport as they are not manly enough

2) Hetero men are not hairdressers, as it is a "gay" profession (implied)

Discussing the semantics and phrasing is really ignoring the point, its pretty clear what he was saying.

Also, as part of a wider issue I think taking immediate umbrage at a comment such as "gay people don't play sports" can hide a bigger problem. I don't know whether Francis phrased what he was trying to say incredibly badly or whether he's actually just bigoted (and nor, frankly, do I want to get into that) but it is certainly worth looking at whether sports teams in general foster an atmosphere in which gay people can be comfortable. I wouldn't be surprised if they're general level of involvement in sports was lower than the average (I have no earthly idea of the facts however). It's something that deserves consideration - prejudices don't just end overnight and these kind of things need constant attention.

That said, "gay people don't play rugby cause its too manly" is a bone-headed, stupid comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

Not really.

If his attitude is anything to go by it's no wonder pro sports people are hesitant about coming out

Nope, and I def wouldn't go on live radio and try to guess!

If he had said just that I'd be willing to put it down to foot in mouth syndrome, but the other stuff makes his comments much worse

I wouldn't say it either.

• Advertisement

If his attitude is anything to go by it's no wonder pro sports people are hesitant about coming out

Can you actually make that link though?

Can you actually make that link though?

Edit. Possibly neither the time nor place to get into this, sorry

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Obviously with the other thread being closed the Neil Francis discussion should stop in this thread too. :)

I know that we can't discuss it but my two cents is that it's totally rugby related and well worth discussing in the forum (feel free to delete if saying we should keep it open isn't appropriate)

awec wrote: »
    Obviously with the other thread being closed the Neil Francis discussion should stop in this thread too. :)

Well nothing else is going on so....

Harp. Piss or infected piss? Discuss...

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Well nothing else is going on so....

Harp. Piss or infected piss? Discuss...

Infected cat pìss. .....left out in the sun for 3 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Root canal tomorrow afternoon.

Infected tooth and gum that is now nearly cleared up due to a bout of antibiotics that would take down a horse!! Loved the literature that accompanied one of the 3 types of tablet I'm on.....Do not take with alcohol - liable to cause hallucinogenic effects....cool!!

I know that we can't discuss it but my two cents is that it's totally rugby related and well worth discussing in the forum (feel free to delete if saying we should keep it open isn't appropriate)

shtory lads? It's trending on twitter now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

shtory lads? It's trending on twitter now!

Giving him a platform only gives him the attention he craves. Nothing good can come of trying too debate some people's narrow mindedness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

On a completely different note, 53339 people are trying to play the same pokemon game at the same time. It's not going so well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Grimebox wrote: »
    On a completely different note, 53339 people are trying to play the same pokemon game at the same time. It's not going so well

The amateur they have playing on the stream hasn't a clue what he's doing! I should be in there! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Oh wow, that is amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Grimebox wrote: »

As someone who has never played a Pokemon game, but plays LOTS of games.... can someone explain what the **** is going on to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

As someone who has never played a Pokemon game, but plays LOTS of games.... can someone explain what the **** is going on to me?

So basically some guy wrote a bot that read in the text from the chat box on the right line by line. If that text is the same as a few select key words (a,b,up,left,right,down,start) then that is translated as a button press in the actual game. You can see the history of button presses appearing on the screen. The game is emulated on his PC so its not an actual gameboy being played. This has being going on for over 4 days now. This is obviously incredibly impractical to actually get through the game as coordinating 50,000 people is nigh impossible, then add in the fact that the stream is usually 30s behind the chat... this will be going on for weeks if not months. I think its a cool idea, but I'm a massive computer geek if you haven't realised that already :pac:

Actually the author describes it further down the page
    FAQ
    What is this?

TwitchPlaysPokemon is a social experiment, it is a stream of the Gameboy version of Pokemon Red (151 romhack) running on an emulator. An IRC bot translates buttons said in chat into keypresses (simulated in software, no fancy typist robots).

How do I play?

Say the button you want pushed in chat (a, b, start select, up, down, left, right), please be aware that there is considerable input lag (see below) and will take awhile before your inputs are registered.

Only one button per message is accepted, there's no combos or holds.

Why is it so laggy?

Twitch's servers introduce a lot of lag in order to support streaming to many people simultaneously.

The amount of lag is approximately 20~40 seconds depending on connection quality. After watching the stream for awhile the lag may increase a tiny amount (enough for chat spoilers), refreshing may help in this case.

Will you do a stream with [game]?

I'm very interested in creating automated Twitch streams with a strong focus on user interaction.

I would like to do something similar with other games and I have a few in mind already.

The biggest obstacle to overcome is the method of input, while crudely saying the buttons into chat works well enough for Pokemon and its turn-based gameplay it wouldn't work for games that expect a relatively (< 20 seconds) reaction from the player. I don't think this obstacle is insurmountable but it will require further ingenuity.

Why are buttons showing in the input feed not being registered in-game or why buttons that are being pressed not showing up in the input feed?

With the exception of start button throttling this is not intended behavior. The cause of buttons not being pressed in-game is usually because Pokemon doesn't queue button presses, this leads to a lot of button presses technically being registered by the game but ignored (for example: while walking from one space to another no inputs have any effect). Delayed/erroneous button presses are usually due to overload or other bugs with my software, I'm working on it and it has gotten better but it is still not perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I think its a cool idea, but I'm a massive computer geek if you haven't realised that already

Don't worry, so am I. Just not Pokemon.... yet.

That does sound kinda cool. Though I assume that if you posted "left" and I posted "right" a split-second later, we'd cancel each other out?

It would be great if they could accumulate each press or "vote" each 5 seconds or so, and then that would be the action, instead of loads of people acting at cross purposes (which, let's be honest, will always be the case online - especially after something becomes popular).

Pokemon? Lads, will ye hand in yere mancards to ak or awec please. :) :O

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Pokemon? Lads, will ye hand in yere mancards to ak or awec please. :) :O

I think you'll find that's Franno's responsibility.

Can we discuss Franno's narrow mindedness yet?

Don't see why we shouldn't be allowed really

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057136210

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057134153

Massively topical, massively idiotic thing to say too.

http://newstalk.ie/Gay-people-have-very-little-interest-in-sport--Former-rugby-player

also, the "It’s not a generalisation..." is akin to "I'm not a racist but". Saying "It's not a generalisation" just seconds before making a massive generalisation doesn't make it not a generalisation.

Can we discuss Franno's narrow mindedness yet?

Don't see why we shouldn't be allowed really

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057136210

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057134153

Massively topical, massively idiotic thing to say too.

Nor do I tbh, I can understand where JSB is coming from but it's national news at this stage. Nigel Owens is on Newstalk in a few minutes to talk about it

It's not a case of giving his idiotic views a platform, but those views could have a direct impact on a lot of people playing the game

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No, it's not open for discussion. Drop it please.

What's the reasoning?

Can we take it to another forum?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement