Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Do you have one of those home dumbell set thingys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

awec wrote: »
    Do you have one of those home dumbell set thingys?

Yeah I went out and bought a load of weights and did the P90X program at home. It's 3 months, it's not going to transform you into Arnie (despite what it says) but it's a very good program to get into the basics of fitness. It's mostly resistance and dumbell work, so easy to do at home. You just need some space, weights and a TV.

I can get that P90x thing through my Xbox One fitness thing. Will take a look.

I take it a cheap enough set would do the job?

I can get that P90x thing through my Xbox One fitness thing. Will take a look.

I take it a cheap enough set would do the job?

Yep, pick up a few in argos.

The only reason I went back to the gym is after a while it gets to expensive to keep buying new weights as you get stronger.

Do you need the barbell? (is that what it's called?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

.ak wrote: »

Sure at the moment I'm basically lifting a barbell with barely any weight on it, beside lads doing 100kg. You have to just worry about yourself really.

This is it really, we all started with the light weights. Proper form is more important than lifting more than you're able to and injuring yourself.

Do you need the barbell? (is that what it's called?)

Not for P90x or p90. But they're handy to have, especially if you decide to take up lifting, you can practice with 10kg or 20kg (same as an olympic standard bar) and work on your form.

Like LostArt said, form is crucially important. So if you ever decide to transfer any of this to a gym its good to be able to practice at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

The only reason I went back to the gym is after a while it gets to expensive to keep buying new weights as you get stronger.

Champagne problems eh

Guilty, as charged. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Neil_Francis_%28rugby_union%29&oldid=428756833

Some light relief, someone was been at Franno's wiki page. Very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

http://www.seriouspowerlifting.com/3159/articles/german-volume-training

Good run down of it. Supposed to be unreal for packing on muscle mass

Not sure how you'd manage it there though!

Cheers, I'll check it out.

Yeah it's probably doable over here - most of the Ghanaian lads in the gym are ripped. I was asking some of them yesterday what they eat!

But you can definitely get all the protein and carbs you'd need, I'd just need to get into a better routine.

Not sure I'm prepared to face 100 dips in a session yet though!

Will have to give this P90 a go. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

*reads last 20 posts..puts on rocky music..collapses after 4 press ups*

mfceiling wrote: »
    *reads last 20 posts..puts on rocky music..collapses after 4 press ups*

Get yourself out for a Rocky type run too - to the Spire on O'Connell street and back to wherever you are.

Get yourself out for a Rocky type run too - to the Spire on O'Connell street and back to wherever you are.

Tried to jog up the 9 flights of stairs in work yesterday morning to prove to the young lads that I've "still got it"....spent the next 10 minutes hiding in the toilet with a stitch!!

All pain no gain...

Will have to give this P90 a go. :D

Defo worth a shot. The guy that does it is annoying as hell, but stick with it. The P90 one is more about routine and fitness, but if you have patience and time might be worth starting on that.

P90X is genuinely tough. I struggle to hit 80-90% of it over a 3 month period. Would probably be better at it now, last time I did it was a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

INPHO_00776159.jpg

Reporter: Are you looking forward to playing for Leinster?
    JP: Yes, cant wait to win a trophy, Cheers

Defo worth a shot. The guy that does it is annoying as hell, but stick with it. The P90 one is more about routine and fitness, but if you have patience and time might be worth starting on that.

P90X is genuinely tough. I struggle to hit 80-90% of it over a 3 month period. Would probably be better at it now, last time I did it was a year ago.

I used to be fit enough, 2 years ago I did loads of cycling but not a lot last year. Want to get back to it this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Pretty sure there are a few new programmes like p90x2 x3 etc.

DAY 2-LEGS AND ABS

Exercise Sets Reps Tempo Rest Interval
    A-1 Squats 10 10 40×0 90 seconds
    A-2 Leg curls 10 10 40×0 90 seconds
    B-1 weighted sit ups 3 15-20 20×20 60 seconds
    B-2 calf raises 3 10-15 20×20 60 seconds
    DAY 3-REST DAY

Dear jesus the squats

There's something badass about nearly failing a 60kg squat on your 10th set

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hurk

Dear jesus the squats

There's something badass about nearly failing a 60kg squat on your 10th set

Jesus, I do 5 sets at 90kg and I can't walk properly for days.

Hurk wrote: »
    Jesus, I do 5 sets at 90kg and I can't walk properly for days.

I reckon walking won't be on the cards tomorrow!

I reckon walking won't be on the cards tomorrow!

too late now, but foam rolling is the way to go

LostArt wrote: »
    too late now, but foam rolling is the way to go

before or after workout? My stretching regime is lax to say the least

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

You lot are reminding me that I haven't been in the gym in almost two weeks...

Most people seem to roll before but after works well for me after heavy sessions

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

before or after workout? My stretching regime is lax to say the least

Stretching. Ugh. I couldn't get to my toes with a sat nav.

I can touch my toes, just about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Take it from me lads.
    Strength. Stamina. Suppleness.

Bulk up as much as ye like but do not forget SSS.
    In the day before starting on the weights I did 20 minutes of stretching. Mainly yoga. I kid ye not.
    I still to this day do 40 minutes of yoga every morning. Great for the old joints.

• Advertisement

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Neil_Francis_%28rugby_union%29&oldid=428756833

Some light relief, someone was been at Franno's wiki page. Very funny

That's the funniest thing I've read in ages...top find Ugo

OldRio wrote: »
    Take it from me lads.
    Strength. Stamina. Suppleness.

Bulk up as much as ye like but do not forget SSS.
    In the day before starting on the weights I did 20 minutes of stretching. Mainly yoga. I kid ye not.
    I still to this day do 40 minutes of yoga every morning. Great for the old joints.

Ain't that the truth. So many people end up going into their thirties with minor aches which become significant problems over the next 20 years. Half my mates have now quit sports with long term injury issues.

In our twenties, we punish ourselves in sports and gyms for fitness and power and often neglect the long term picture.

I've a herniated disc in my back. Pilates 2-3 times a week is the only thing that keeps me in the clear. If I could go back 10 years to when I was a student, I'd knock a couple of weights sessions on the head each week and spend an hour working on flexibility and lower back/abdomen muscles.

Yeah, one thing I wish I did when I was a bit younger was more stretching. I'm 27 and feel like I'm about as flexible as a tree. Especially my hammers/glutes. Only in the last year have I had started doing physio, stretching and yoga. Defo helps. I spend every sunday doing an hour stretching session or yoga for 2 hours if I have the time.

As for squats I love squats. Defo my fav lift!

My lack of stretching bit me in the ass last season and I'm only 23. Hamstrings and glutes were so tight that it caused me an awful pain in my pelvis anytime I played a match.

Got misdiagnosed twice, hip flexor first, then sports hernia. Finally saw another physio who copped the problem. Did six weeks of intense stretching exercises and it went away

Still don't stretch half as much as I should do

Hard to find the time for it, especially when all you can think about is doing 'proper exercises.' But my physio has me doing 2 sessions of stretching a day, and whilst I always don't stick to that it defo helps. I defo do it before match days and before a match and it helps. Had a late match last night and didn't get a chance to do it after work, and surprise surprise one of my glutes seems fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

As for squats I love squats. Defo my fav lift!

What the what?! Without a shadow of a doubt it's my least favourite lift. I still do it, because it's a great compound movement, but I do not enjoy it. I prefer the deadlift.

Really need to get my stretching routine back on course again too. When I was last at home I got a grid roller, and it really feels like you're hitting those tight spots. I'd recommend it.

I'm also just in my mid twenties and have had niggling hip flexor issues for the past couple of years. Hit they gym last week and played some football (sacrilege, I know) and ultimate frisbee at the weekend and it flared up again after a period of very little activity. Not fun.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Our "PE teacher" in school didn't have any appreciation for stretching and we, as 14 year old kids, would go out and run a few Km over lunch without thinking of it. A few months of that had me barely able to walk and in hospital with a suspected fractured hip. Turned out it was strained ligaments, but the physio said I was a couple of weeks short of something snapping and not walking without crutches for quite a while.

Currently have a niggle in the lower left of my back and not sure what to do with it. Think I might have been rotating my shoulder doing kettlebells about 6 weeks back and this strained something, but had rested it and was back in training. Went for a jog when the pitch was unplayable about 3 weeks ago and couldn't stand up straight for 4 days after it.

At 30 and 6'7" I need to really start thinking about getting these kind of niggles sorted, but physio will have to wait for pay day. Any recommended reading on strengthening the lower back would be appreciated.

6'7" :D

It absolutely weirded out having to look up at people.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

The joy of getting to stand beside the lad on the LUAS into work who's at least 3 inches taller than me is amazing :)

dregin wrote: »
    Currently have a niggle in the lower left of my back and not sure what to do with it. Think I might have been rotating my shoulder doing kettlebells about 6 weeks back and this strained something, but had rested it and was back in training. Went for a jog when the pitch was unplayable about 3 weeks ago and couldn't stand up straight for 4 days after it..

With your height and that description, I'd get myself to a physio for a check, if I were you. Is the pain just off the side of the spine near the base? Very stiff after physical activity or a long drive etc?

If so, that would mirror my own symptoms. I'm only 6'1"/6'2" but had a lot of lower back problems partly due to neglect. The issue was that a disc was starting to bulge causing the pain and stiffness. It then began to impinge on the nerves surrounding causing the pain to transfer to other areas.

For lower back, for relief, there are simple things you can do like hugging your knees into your chest tightly which I found gave great pain relief. Also, lie on your back, legs bent up to 45 degrees and rotate them to be flat on the ground to the left and then over to the right whilst keeping your upper half stationary. Also, the cat/camel stretch is helpful to loosen it out. You look like an idiot but very useful.

For muscle strengthening, there's a glut of exercises available. You'll need to work on all muscles around the area: abdomen, glutes, hamstrings and lower back to take the pressure off your spine and let the muscles take the weight.

• Advertisement

What the what?! Without a shadow of a doubt it's my least favourite lift. I still do it, because it's a great compound movement, but I do not enjoy it. I prefer the deadlift.

Really need to get my stretching routine back on course again too. When I was last at home I got a grid roller, and it really feels like you're hitting those tight spots. I'd recommend it.

I'm also just in my mid twenties and have had niggling hip flexor issues for the past couple of years. Hit they gym last week and played some football (sacrilege, I know) and ultimate frisbee at the weekend and it flared up again after a period of very little activity. Not fun.

Yeah, think it's just because I live in the top floor of a georgian building for the last 16 years or so, going up and down the stairs constantly has meant even at my least fittest I always had strong quads.

It's the one thing I'm hating about the beginning of 5x5... I'm only at 30kg on the squat but I could easily knock out 10x10 @ 60kg if I wanted.

On the other hand I struggle with things like barbell rows and OHPs. My upper body and core needs lots of work.

Yeah dregin physio is the way to go with anything back related. I remember I tweaked my back a while back and it was really bad, thought I'd be out for weeks, but went to the physio and was playing in a match two days later.

He basically had me doing with Beur described, but you probably do a lot of that during rugby training anyway. Try to do it during the day, and never push past the point of pain.

Also planks, lots of planks. I try to do planks every day. Defo stands to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I can touch my toes, just about.

I find sitting down makes it alot easier, Can't for the life of me work out why everyone tries to do it standing up

Bit of a morbid/odd request, but can any of the Ulster lads advise the normal period of time between a death and funeral in NI?

Wife of a colleague passed away last night in Belfast and I'd like to attend the service but I'm away at the weekend and would be unable to do so if it's on Saturday.

Buer wrote: »
    Bit of a morbid/odd request, but can any of the Ulster lads advise the normal period of time between a death and funeral in NI?

Wife of a colleague passed away last night in Belfast and I'd like to attend the service but I'm away at the weekend and would be unable to do so if it's on Saturday.

you could try services like http://www.passedaway.com/ http://www.rip.ie/Deathnotices/ http://www.obituaries-ni.co.uk/ or http://classifieds.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/northern-ireland/family-notices/death-notices/53/ to see if they give any details

mmmmm squats. Love squatting. Worked my way up to a 190KG squat a few years ago and then for varying reasons stopped lifting. Started back in a gym a couple of weeks ago lifted 110 for 3 and nearly ran of the gym crying with embarrassment.

Buer wrote: »

Usually 2 days after, so if it was last night it would usually be tomorrow, maybe Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Tried to jog up the 9 flights of stairs in work yesterday morning to prove to the young lads that I've "still got it"....spent the next 10 minutes hiding in the toilet with a stitch!!

All pain no gain...

No pain no pain.

Don't start in the first place...

Usually 2 days after, so if it was last night it would usually be tomorrow, maybe Friday.

Thanks, awec. Appreciate the input.

• Advertisement

mmmmm squats. Love squatting. Worked my way up to a 190KG squat a few years ago and then for varying reasons stopped lifting. Started back in a gym a couple of weeks ago lifted 110 for 3 and nearly ran of the gym crying with embarrassment.

I stopped doing leg weights for about a month an a half because of the injury I was referring to above

Went back in for a legs session on my first day back from the injury and loaded up 130kg, which I was doing for 8x7x7 before injury. Went down for my first rep and didn't come back. Had to ditch the bar behind me, fairly embarrassing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement