Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Buer wrote: »
    And I'm the boring one around here?!

:pac:

Once bitten twice shy. Spin some innuendo with that Mr two swallows a summer doth make.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

In your endo.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

For anyone with lingering doubts about crypto currencies V conventional cash dollar: http://reason.com/blog/2014/02/18/bizarre-financial-innovation-paper-cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

dregin wrote: »
    For anyone with lingering doubts about crypto currencies V conventional cash dollar: http://reason.com/blog/2014/02/18/bizarre-financial-innovation-paper-cash

I'm fascinated by crypto currency. Genuinely thinking about buying a bit coin when I get tax back in a few weeks

Off to the silk road then! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Bitcoin is fascinating. One of the big problems with it though is that an so far undiscovered technical problem could reasonably easily scupper the entire currency. Plus there is the inevitable difficulty with getting it accepted by governments - any acceptance will go hand in hand with some regulation.

Plus there is no real derivatives market.

• Advertisement

I think Silk Road is now at version 3.0 :p

First got involved with em when they were ~$8/1BTC, but only actually got a few when a mate threw 0.2BTC at me ages later. Hindsight is ****in depressing!

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Bitcoin is fascinating. One of the big problems with it though is that an so far undiscovered technical problem could reasonably easily scupper the entire currency. Plus there is the inevitable difficulty with getting it accepted by governments - any acceptance will go hand in hand with some regulation.

Regulation of BTC is significantly easier than cash in that all transactions have a history attached to them, so you can see when a user attained bitcoin and from whom... well, which wallet address. It's been around quite a few years now and no major hacks have been unearthed.

It has its weaknesses, but they're nowhere near as simple as those of paper money. You can't print yourself a bitcoin, run it through the wash and flog it down the road for a pint :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Podge_irl wrote: »

Still fascinating though. It's essentially going, 'Hey, I've got this stuff, what's it worth to you? No, you can't see it, because it's on the INTERWEBS.'

dregin wrote: »
    Regulation of BTC is significantly easier than cash in that all transactions have a history attached to them, so you can see when a user attained bitcoin and from whom... well, which wallet address. It's been around quite a few years now and no major hacks have been unearthed.

It has its weaknesses, but they're nowhere near as simple as those of paper money. You can't print yourself a bitcoin, run it through the wash and flog it down the road for a pint :p

Oh it definitely has its strengths.

If (and in all likelihood when) a cryptocurrency really hits the mainstream I don't think it will be bitcoin though.

and on a totally unrelated note, anyone watching the second season of House of Cards?

• Advertisement

and on a totally unrelated note, anyone watching the second season of House of Cards?

Yep, nearly finished it. Very good, I liked the first series but the 2nd series has much more pace and venom to it.

Had to delete posts as browser/isp blocker info/advise is not allowed.

.ak wrote: »
    Yep, nearly finished it. Very good, I liked the first series but the 2nd series has much more pace and venom to it.

I loved the first few episodes of the first series and kind of thought it was going to be a more gritty West Wing. When
    all the conspiracy stuff started happening towards the of season one I thought it got pretty silly but now that I've kind of accepted that a it's very entertaining. Kate Mara's death was very shocking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

I'm sitting on a few hundred bitcoins I mined back in 2010. Im thinking of just donating the money to charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

chupacabra wrote: »
    I'm sitting on a few hundred bitcoins I mined back in 2010. Im thinking of just donating the money to charity.

At the $600~ they are worth atm, that would be an amazing donation!

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I've deleted posts here pending review.

Deleted posts will have to stay deleted lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

So 24 degrees here today :) , and a fab drive from Chch across Arthur's pass to the West Coast - which is the closest you'll find to Ireland outside Ireland. The people are so laid back, they're almost horizontal. The ubquitous singlet, shorts, jandals brigade were out in full force...

NZ really is a great place to tour around in a car, being a young country there is not a sh'itty little village every 5 minutes like in France for example, so you can just cruise and enjoy the scenery.

The NZ accent is awful though...it sounds so culchie...

Anyway, judging by met eireann website the rain is still lashing down, so I think of you...hopefully an Irish victory this weekend brings rays of figurative sunshine streaming down!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

My productivity really plummets this time of year. The Six Nations is such a distraction! I have a big report due in three weeks, and all I've been able to think about for the past week is an 80 minute period on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Three weeks?! You should make sure to catch all the 6N, S15 and Pro12 for the next fortnight.

Dedication pays off in the long term. Procrastination pays off instantly.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    Three weeks?! You should make sure to catch all the 6N, S15 and Pro12 for the next fortnight.

Dedication pays off in the long term. Procrastination pays off instantly.

Three weeks might sound like a long time, but it's supposed to represent all the work I've been doing for the past five months, so it's a biggie.

In saying that, I think you're absolutely right. Instant gratification is where it's at.

Report due in 3 weeks = report gets started in 2 weeks.

Three weeks might sound like a long time, but it's supposed to represent all the work I've been doing for the past five months, so it's a biggie.

Shouldn't have worked so hard for the last 5 months so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

In saying that, I think you're absolutely right. Instant gratification is where it's at.

well I can tell you that you have 647 posts in the rugby forum in the last 5 months if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

also
    Today marks 100 days until the Rabo Pro12 Final
    also
    pitch in Donegal from raboinsider twitter

Bg6wS9CIAAAvTLV.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

ssaye2 wrote: »

feckin eating cream eggs before the start of last week's game in front of everyone playing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

"The minute you’re hungry and something is there you’ll eat it so best to prepare healthy options to have hand"

Pretty good advice. If anyone's gone shopping and you're starving you know what he means!

great piece, thanks for that

• Advertisement

That 5 egg omelette would do me for an entire day, if I even managed to finish the thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

Pretty insane diet.

I read in the SBP at the weekend too him mentioning that when he goes out to dinner he orders based on his dietary needs, not what he might actually want.

Serious commitment, but then again I suppose if we'd a conditioning team around us then we'd probably be eating a little better too. :pac:

cson wrote: »
    Pretty insane diet.

I read in the SBP at the weekend too him mentioning that when he goes out to dinner he orders based on his dietary needs, not what he might actually want.

Serious commitment, but then again I suppose if we'd a conditioning team around us then we'd probably be eating a little better too. :pac:

Well, it's a bit different when you are a professional and so your entire day revolves around your conditioning.

A bit more difficult for lads who have to work during the week and who can't plan on being able to eat a big feed every 3 hours.

awec wrote: »
    Well, it's a bit different when you are a professional and so your entire day revolves around your conditioning.

A bit more difficult for lads who have to work during the week and who can't plan on being able to eat a big feed every 3 hours.

I had a bowl of re-fried beans at 11am after a 5 egg white sandwich for breakfast, chicken korma for lunch and I'll have a bit of peanut butter before leaving the office

You're getting the weights awec so you may as well learn to love excessive amounts of food! :D

Not a big eater at all. If i ate 5 eggs id feel sick for a few hours and probably wouldn't eat again for a good bit.

Not a big eater at all. If i ate 5 eggs id feel sick for a few hours and probably wouldn't eat again for a good bit.

egg whites aren't as filling. I throw them into a cup for two minutes in the microwave

I'd be the opposite, find it very hard to stay away from junk though, especially at the weekends.

• Advertisement

pitch in Donegal from raboinsider twitter

Bg6wS9CIAAAvTLV.jpg:large

That's my local team's pitch :pac:

I trained with them for a bit last summer.

5 eggs is very different to 2 eggs and 3 egg whites though. sure I had that last night for dinner and I'm in the process of dropping a shed load of weight

egg whites aren't as filling. I throw them into a cup for two minutes in the microwave

I'd be the opposite, find it very hard to stay away from junk though, especially at the weekends.

Yolk is the nicest bit though!

Like I was taking protein shake before but then I found that it would fill me and I'd miss a meal.

I thought for a while that I might take in some peanut butter and banana sandwiches to work to eat during the day. Might start again.

My problem is not gaining weight, like I could devour a 2000 calorie bar of chocolate and not put on a pound. :pac:

It's bad though, some skinny people think that just because they aren't gaining weight that they're ok. Like even if I had KFC 7 nights a week I wouldn't put on any weight but it'd still be ruining me.

That's my local team's pitch :pac:

I trained with them for a bit last summer.

Where is it? Is that Errigal in the background?

Reminds me of Letterkenny's pitch when it was out the back of The Silver Tassie.

House of Cards season 2, end of episode 11........what the actual ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Michum the dirty pup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

House of Cards season 2, end of episode 11........what the actual ****

Thank you. Finally someone who has reached that far! WTAF is right!

Edward you dirty dawg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

House of Cards is going to be one of these shows that I promise myself I'll get around to watching but never do. The Sopranos, Lost, Breaking Bad etc. never seen any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Lost - you missed nothing.
    Muck

Sopranos, House of Cards, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones - unmissable

I've seen House of Cards season 1. It's pretty good though I found some episodes were too long and dragged on a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Game of Thrones

This is one I'm actually watching. I wait for the season to finish and then catch up in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hurk

I'm not a film buff, but I'm very into good TV series. I can't stress enough that True Detective is literally the best TV show i've ever seen.

People talk about Breaking Bad and The Wire fans but this will spawn a whole new level of fanboys. I've run out of ways to describe how good it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Hurk wrote: »
    I'm not a film buff, but I'm very into good TV series. I can't stress enough that True Detective is literally the best TV show i've ever seen.

People talk about Breaking Bad and The Wire fans but this will spawn a whole new level of fanboys. I've run out of ways to describe how good it is.

Isn't it quite macabre? Have heard a lot of good things about it but not sure I would have the stomach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Hurk wrote: »

I am completely obsessed with it. I usually hate reading fan theories and speculation but this has me addicted. I've already watched every so far episode twice. Monday can't come quick enough

This guy is one of my favourite actors now

ed-wedding-600x450.jpg

I found Breaking Bad only ok. I gave up on it halfway through season 3 or 4, can't remember which.

The Wire I gave up on after a few episodes, though apparently it's very slow to start.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement