Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Buer wrote: »
    There's no official grammatical rule stating that it's unacceptable, that I'm aware of.

Some teachers will say that it is an eyesore but it is actually fine, grammatically.

A general rule of thumb is to think of how you'd pronounce it. If you'd say aloud Williams's (phonetically Williamses) then it's fine to write it as an additional 's.

There are proper nouns, however, that don't have that. For example, "Sarah Connors' son was mates with the terminator". You wouldn't pronounce it "Connorses" so the sole apostrophe would generally be the way to go.

In short, there's no black and white.

You should change your name to Encyclopedia.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What if Nick Williams disagrees with you?

Well I'll just have to show Nick Williams then................

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's no official grammatical rule stating that it's unacceptable, that I'm aware of.

Some teachers will say that it is an eyesore but it is actually fine, grammatically.

A general rule of thumb is to think of how you'd pronounce it. If you'd say aloud Williams's (phonetically Williamses) then it's fine to write it as an additional 's.

There are proper nouns, however, that don't have that. For example, "Sarah Connors' son was mates with the terminator". You wouldn't pronounce it "Connorses" so the sole apostrophe would generally be the way to go.

In short, there's no black and white.

First part is right but, assuming you know her name was Sarah Connor (and not Sarah Connors), it's written "Sarah Connor's son was mates with the Terminator".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

A question mark hands over Nick Williams' future at Ulster

that's how I'd write it anyway

Whats this question mark doing handling Williams' future, and who is it handing it over to? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

? hands.

beat to it.

awec wrote: »
    Whats this question mark doing handling Williams' future, and who is it handing it over to? ;)
    OldRio wrote: »
    ? hands.

beat to it.

why do my typo's always get jumped on !!! ****ers! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

why do my typo's always get jumped on !!! ****ers! :pac:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

First part is right but, assuming you know her name was Sarah Connor (and not Sarah Connors), it's written "Sarah Connor's son was mates with the Terminator".

Sorry, for some reason I was thinking her name was Connors. I just wanted the reference. Should have gone with Blackie Connors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

Sorry, for some reason I was thinking her name was Connors. I just wanted the reference. Should have gone with Blackie Connors!

I'll be back!............for the copper boss

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Drinking on a school night is such a bad idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Podge_irl wrote: »

You're not meant to come to that conclusion until you come to....

Wish I'd been drinking, up all night with sick women.....who says projectile vomiting isn't fun! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Podge_irl wrote: »

Only if you actually have to get up for school the next day...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

mfceiling wrote: »
    Only if you actually have to get up for school the next day...

I actually think getting up for school might be easier.

I'm normally in work around 820, but it's amazing how well I can rationalize getting in at 920 when I'm in bed slightly hungover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

In hamburg, broke and dying with the flu. That wasn't in the script.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

So I headed into Chch central today, to see the quake war zone. A heap of buildings have been knocked down, so it's a little surreal, but there are quite few shops working out of ship crates. The rebuilding plans look fab, but the good old planning permission is slowing things down. The new rugby stadium will be right in the centre of town, and purpose built indoor (ie a rectangle ground), with a separate cricket oval. Hopefully ready by 2017, but that might be pushing it. Food & drink continues to be excellent standard, and with the stronger euro it works out about the same as eating out in Dublin.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

In case ye missed it. Tesco have 4 bottles of Leann Foileann for €9! A load of other great beers in there too:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89224053&postcount=740

Anyone any ideas on how to make your laptop run faster?

Constant pages of "google chrome not responding" and simple web searches taking ages to come up.

Would a full system re-boot turn it back to normal?

Only thing is i have my revenue details stored on it and i need to log into ROS.ie for work most weeks - would a system overhaul delete this?

*posted from phone*

• Advertisement

Constant pages of "google chrome not responding" and simple web searches taking ages to come up.

Only thing is i have my revenue details stored on it and i need to log into ROS.ie for work most weeks - would a system overhaul delete this?

*posted from phone*

Buy a macbook! :pac:

Bought a Mac Air last year and I can safely say it's the best investment I've ever made. Hasn't given me an ounce of trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

This should provide a small increase in performance in the short term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

*posted from phone*

Have you tried using IE or firefox to see if they are causing the same issue. I've seen chrome having compatibility issues with catalyst control centre before so could be something similar (tabs wouldn't open, chrome would just freeze and take ages to open)

also how old is the machine. specs?

Grimebox wrote: »
    This should provide a small increase in performance in the short term

Thanks Grimebox....running a lot quicker now.

Have you tried using IE or firefox to see if they are causing the same issue. I've seen chrome having compatibility issues with catalyst control centre before so could be something similar (tabs wouldn't open, chrome would just freeze and take ages to open)

also how old is the machine. specs?

You lost me at catalyst!! It's a toshiba satellite C855....only about 2 or 3 years old. I can genuinely say i am never on any dodgy sites!! Mainly boards, yahoo mail and donedeal. Stream the odd match but that's about it.

Those match stream sites are PLAGUED with dodgy crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

*posted from phone*

if you only have issues with Chrome, disable all addons. if that works, enable them one by one until you find the culprit.

Isn't there a safe mode launch option that'll run it without extensions enabled? Save you going through em and disabling them one by one.

dregin wrote: »
    Those match stream sites are PLAGUED with dodgy crap.

I know!! 888 bet is always appearing...still cheaper than sky!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Pancake Tuesday on Tuesday.

Got some Coconut flakes and Almonds today. Will they last til Tuesday though........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Just eat pancakes tomorrow. That's what I'm gonna do.

I do what I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

I eat pancakes at least once a week here. They love their pancakes so they do.

Hagz wrote: »

I do what I want.

I want to be like hagz...

I'm working 8am until midnight tomorrow.

Pancakes be damned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Pancake tuesday was created by shill corporations to artificially drive up the price of pancake batter. Wake up sheeple

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Grimebox wrote: »
    Pancake tuesday was created by shill corporations to artificially drive up the price of pancake batter. Wake up sheeple

Well, yeah.. but.. pancakes..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

I do what I want.

A true maverick :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I do what I want.

926.gif?w=500&h=281

Also, this.

I'm at a wedding and just now they brought out a sausage and bacon bap for every guest.

Am I wrong, or is this the greatest idea ever at a wedding? Seriously, at 12 oclock when you start to get hungry again what else would you possibly want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

I'm at a wedding and just now they brought out a sausage and bacon bap for every guest.

Am I wrong, or is this the greatest idea ever at a wedding? Seriously, at 12 oclock when you start to get hungry again what else would you possibly want?

Awec, it's 2357. Forget the bap. It's time to dance! You might even pull.

• Advertisement

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Awec, it's 2357. Forget the bap. It's time to dance! You might even pull.

Anyone else have visions of a northern Peter Crouch doing the robot?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We had beef as our mains and later that night they brought out the rest of the beef and we had steak baps. Pretty close.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

anyone here use or have used Go Car?

Serious amount of The Smiths being listened to in this house at the moment.

Morrissey wrote some unbelievable lyrics in his day (as i post an entirely instrumental song)....

They were a bit before my time but I do enjoy a lot of their stuff. They're enjoying something of a renaissance in the last few years. The film 500 Days of Summer might have something to do with that. Also, John Lewis used The Smiths for their big Christmas campaign in 2012 and it had a lot of air play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

So I have a laptop. Windows 8 came pre-installed on it. Memory leaks non stop. Eventually I get messages telling me that im low on memory and close programs. Then out of nowhere the entire thing will just shut off. Broke that laptop, bought a new one. SAME PROBLEM. Happens to my misses' laptop too. Ive had to restart twice today. Blah blah downgrade to windows 7, yes im doing this. But why the absolute **** cant Microsoft get away with releasing such a piece of **** operating system? Its muck. Dont bother with it.

*sigh* im so furious

Anyone else have visions of a northern Peter Crouch doing the robot?

pretty accurate :)

Speaking of old bands, I've recently started listening to Jane's Addiction again. Don't think I appreciated them when I was younger but they have some epic records.

Three Days is some track!

.ak wrote: »
    Speaking of old bands, I've recently started listening to Jane's Addiction again. Don't think I appreciated them when I was younger but they have some epic records.

Three Days is some track!

Have been revisiting my youth after hearing Smashing Pumpkins on the radio earlier. Pumpkins, Pearl Jam and The Pixies have been order of the day on YouTube.

Debaser is my new old favourite song.

Have been revisiting my youth after hearing Smashing Pumpkins on the radio earlier. Pumpkins, Pearl Jam and The Pixies have been order of the day on YouTube.

Debaser is my new old favourite song.

Good choices. Pearl Jam all the way for me.....unfortunately I'm old enough to remember them when they broke thru :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement