Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Hagz wrote: »
    I think he meant he has no idea why it irritates him :pac:

Yeah that's it.

I think I know why though. It irritates me when people come up for nicknames for any players to be honest. Maddog, Locky.... it just makes me cringe. Nicknames are something that comes when you know someone personally; you don't know them.

As for 36? It's not clever or funny.

/rant (seems its monday morning)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I call him 36 cause its quicker to type and I'm a lazy bastard.

That was easy

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I call him 36 cause its quicker to type and I'm a lazy bastard.

wel den u wudnt mind if i typd lik dis i supos :pac:

Careful re-reading of my post might be in order!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

90% of my nickname use here is to avoid having to type awkward names

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Thankfully Irish names make that easy. DOC BOD POC POM MOK MOD ETC

Who's ETC?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Who's ETC?

NotSureIfSerious.jpg

I'm gonna be in body and soul for the first test this saturday :o

Apparently there won't be a single TV showing it down there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Grimebox wrote: »

One of the reasons why I didn't go myself... :P

... The other (and really only) reason is I'm broke! :D

Looking like the Sunday of Longtitude, Castlepalooza and maybe just maybe the Sunday of Electric Picnic after my Grad ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Enjoy Mr Cave best performer around at the moment , his energy is unreal.

duckysauce wrote: »
    Enjoy Mr Cave best performer around at the moment , his energy is unreal.

Could you recommend some songs of theirs? I only know a few and their back catalogue is enormous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Nick Cave is absolutely amazing, the new album is excellent.

If I was recommending listening to them- I'd say listen to the albums: "Let Love In", "Murder Ballads", "The Boatman's Call" and the latest one "Push the Sky Away"...they're all great albums.

But if you're just looking for songs, you might as well look up ones they have been playing regularly:

We Know Who U R, Jubilee Street and Push the Sky Away (all from the new album)
    From Her to Eternity (from From Her to Eternity)
    The Mercy Seat (from Tender Prey)
    The Weeping Song (from The Good Son)
    Red Right Hand (from Let Love In)
    Into My Arms (from the Boatman's Call)
    Stagger Lee (from Murder Ballads)

Luckily, they are some of his best songs in any case but I'd recommend listening to Let Love In, Opium Tea, Henry Lee, Where the Wild Roses Grow, Fifteen Feet of Pure White Snow, Lovely Creature too....if you have any time to spare. In fairness, his discography is very consistent and has so many good songs.

Best LP of the year so far imo, 39 minutes well spent

Not a big hip hop fan myself...

My album of 2013 would definitely be ...Like Clockwork by Queens of the Stone Age. New albums by Nick Cave and the National were good too, was pleasantly surprised by David Bowie's aswell, although not on the level of the others. Didn't like the new Vampire Weekend much, a lot of people were hyping it.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Not a big hip hop fan myself...

My album of 2013 would definitely be ...Like Clockwork by Queens of the Stone Age. New albums by Nick Cave and the National were good too, was pleasantly surprised by David Bowie's aswell, although not on the level of the others. Didn't like the new Vampire Weekend much, a lot of people were hyping it.

New QOTSA album is unreal alright! Never been huge on the National for whatever reason, despite all my friends loving them

If I was recommending listening to them- I'd say listen to the albums: "Let Love In", "Murder Ballads", "The Boatman's Call" and the latest one "Push the Sky Away"...they're all great albums.

But if you're just looking for songs, you might as well look up ones they have been playing regularly:

Luckily, they are some of his best songs in any case but I'd recommend listening to Let Love In, Opium Tea, Henry Lee, Where the Wild Roses Grow, Fifteen Feet of Pure White Snow, Lovely Creature too....if you have any time to spare. In fairness, his discography is very consistent and has so many good songs.

Cheers. I know the Boatman's Call and thats about it.

I already had my body&soul ticket then one of my favourite dj's/producer gets announced. Happy days. Saw him last year in the button factory and it was unreal

• Advertisement

I already had my body&soul ticket then one of my favourite dj's/producer gets announced. Happy days. Saw him last year in the button factory and it was unreal

big Jaar fan, his boiler room set is absolutely unbelievable

trouttrout wrote: »
    New QOTSA album is unreal alright! Never been huge on the National for whatever reason, despite all my friends loving them

I love the National...especially the 2 albums before the newest one, but most of my friends are not very receptive towards them, think it's the vocals :P

Hopefully going to see them in Cork next week, bit of uncertainty around my ticket.

That gig in the BF was epic..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

+1 saw him perform Stagger Lee in Paris this year and it was un fcking real , crowds eyes and mouths wide open :D . Lovely lyrics.

Geneva is ****ing expensive.

And hot. I think I might actually melt before summer is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Geneva is ****ing expensive.

And hot. I think I might actually melt before summer is done.

If you're looking for sympathy, you've come to the wrong place.

geneva.jpg

swiss-girl_world-cup-2010_05.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Buer wrote: »
    If you're looking for sympathy, you've come to the wrong place.

geneva.jpg

swiss-girl_world-cup-2010_05.jpg

Was always told..."if you're looking for sympathy, you'll find it between shít and syphillis in the dictionary"...

Was in geneva a few years ago myself.....the old town was lovely and hell yeah it was expensive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Anyone know why Swiwi closed his account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Toys out of pram job i'm thinking.....

Took a bit of flack one of the days last week after Trout posted a story about Vunipolua on the Lions gossip page, haven't seen him post since...

Edit : On a slightly separate note, what happened to JustinDee, saw him on the banned list...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

The VR laments the (hopefully temporary) absence of JustinDee. Admired awhile from the anonymity of guest browsing, the VR cites Mr Dee as one of the reasons he took the plunge and signed on as a member. May his time in purgatory be brief!

I suspect the latest haka thread was the straw that broke the kiwis back.

He'll be back. They always come back.

Regards,
    Third account and counting. :)

• Advertisement

I hate when people close their account and come back.... for purely selfish reasons :P

I can never tell who is who...I'm just really really bad at it. I mean Buer, for example, is a very good poster who I agree with a lot but I have no idea who his previous accounts were.

And people like amazo, and Cpt. Blackbeard?? Are they still posting... I honestly have no idea...

I hate when people close their account and come back.... for purely selfish reasons :P

I can never tell who is who...I'm just really really bad at it. I mean Buer, for example, is a very good poster who I agree with a lot but I have no idea who his previous accounts were.

Well, to explain my rationale, I closed my original account because I reckon you get typecast. This is my second account; I was joking about the third account.

With my original account, I would find the same people automatically looking to pick an argument with my posts repeatedly as they took umbrage at something that I may have said previously; they were just being childish. Conversely, people would thank a post just because they thought you held similar opinions to them generally regardless of the content of the post.

It all became a tad tiresome so I thought I'd start from scratch to see how it panned out. I have to say, it has been interesting to see some people change their tune entirely in response to my posts (both ways).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

The VR laments the (hopefully temporary) absence of JustinDee. Admired awhile from the anonymity of guest browsing, the VR cites Mr Dee as one of the reasons he took the plunge and signed on as a member. May his time in purgatory be brief!

Jaysus, don't let JD catch you being anonymous, he hates that. :pac:

I'm far too lazy to go about changing my account.

Plus the postcount. The precious, precious postcount.

On a side note, hope Swiwi does come back

I had an account from 2000. I created a new one because one day I looked at some of my earliest posts and I just cringed...

Buer wrote: »
    Well, to explain my rationale, I closed my original account because I reckon you get typecast. This is my second account; I was joking about the third account.

With my original account, I would find the same people automatically looking to pick an argument with my posts repeatedly as they took umbrage at something that I may have said previously; they were just being childish. Conversely, people would thank a post just because they thought you held similar opinions to them generally regardless of the content of the post.

It all became a tad tiresome so I thought I'd start from scratch to see how it panned out. I have to say, it has been interesting to see some people change their tune entirely in response to my posts (both ways).

Interesting.....

I guess that makes sense... not something that would occur to me, don't think I'm noticeable enough to have people have agendas with me :P

I do try to judge each posts individually, but after a while you would tend to notice a "core group" of posters who are generally reasonable (perhaps unreasonable in some areas :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

trouttrout wrote: »
    On a side note, hope Swiwi does come back

I'd say he was scared to face the mass of Zebo fans after the Tahs game :P He really stuck by Maitland during the initial announcement of the squad.

Free the IRFU 1.

We want JustinDee back. He is an integral part of this ecosystem.

At first I though Buer was GerM, but then I was convinced he wasn't.

Now I have a slight feeling he might be, not sure where that's coming from though.

I hope Swiwi and JustinDee come back.

I am perfectly happy with my typecast of being a self hating Paddy and BT Director of Sales! :D

BTW, the Bucs suck.

• Advertisement

fishooks12 was actually my poker username online, nothing to do with the fish in the sea

BTW, the Bucs suck.

While that is debatable, they certainly didn't when I started supporting them. #classicbandwagoner #iwasincardiffin2006

While that is debatable, they certainly didn't when I started supporting them. #classicbandwagoner #iwasincardiffin2006

I'm suddenly confused by what Bucs we're talking about.

Folks, some posts deleted, and just to explain why:

Due to the data protection act you cannot speculate on somebody else's alternate account, or previous account. This may seem innocuous, however the implications can be great. For example, if John2006 has somehow put up personal details relating to himself, he then realizes the error of his ways, and re-regs after closing his original account. If somebody speculates to that then it can lead him down the same route again. At which point boards are actually responsible for breach of data protection. Obviously there's a million more examples, but that's just one of them.

I'm aware this isn't in the charter, it's actually part of the boards.ie site T&Cs, but as it's been happening quite a lot I'll look into adding it to the charter.

Not the Irish ones.

The American ones! Not the silly Westmeath ones!

.ak wrote: »
    Folks, some posts deleted, and just to explain why:

Due to the data protection act you cannot speculate on somebody else's alternate account, or previous account. This may seem innocuous, however the implications can be great. For example, if John2006 has somehow put up personal details relating to himself, he then realizes the error of his ways, and re-regs after closing his original account. If somebody speculates to that then it can lead him down the same route again. At which point boards are actually responsible for breach of data protection. Obviously there's a million more examples, but that's just one of them.

I'm aware this isn't in the charter, it's actually part of the boards.ie site T&Cs, but as it's been happening quite a lot I'll look into adding it to the charter.

Free Justin Dee!

Free Justin Dee!

*cough cough*
    No discussion or mention of user bans from rugby forum:Any discussion of a user being banned including reasons or opinions is not allowed and any campaigns for user unbanning will see the thread closed. This includes speculation of re-regs.

The American ones! Not the silly Westmeath ones!

Tampa Bay played in Cardiff in 2006? I saw them in Wembley last year against the Bears.

VJax brought me 1 point away from fantasy glory so I have a lot of time for him, but Freeman is questionable.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    *cough cough*

You should take some Lemsip.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement