Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Podcast proof please.

No proof im afraid. One or 2 of my jokes got a very cold reception. But only because there were a lot of Russians in the crowd and i was making Crimea/Soviet jokes. I was asked to do another 6 minutes in Tallinn on the 2nd of April but I have to go to Manchester so its no go.

As an aside, Tommy Tiernan recently did a show in Tallinn and it seems Irish comedians are adored here. A local told me its because the Irish soul and the Estonian soul are very much entwined. Judging by how much the Estonians drink, i wouldnt debate that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

We all laughed when you said you were going to be a comedian.

We're not laughing now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

durkadurka wrote: »
    We all laughed when you said you were going to be a comedian.

We're not laughing now.

Is that your attempt at stand-up comedy durkadurka :P

I smiled, so not a bad first-up effort...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

It's Bob Monkhouse's greatest joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So, football fans - are Liverpool going to win the league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

awec wrote: »
    So, football fans - are Liverpool going to win the league?

Decent looking run in, obviously the city game is the big one. However, football is football, and it's hard to back a team with what, 6 games to win? Even if they are in good form. Would like to see it though, as I'm a bit of a Liverpool fan but don't really follow them (or footie) anymore, but they've had a rough couple of seasons sitting mid table with good players.

I really hope we win! I've had at least 20 years of misery listening to gloating Manchester United fans - Liverpool winning the league combined with their comical collapse would just be too good to be true. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Not that I watch football that much but I kind of wouldn't mind pool finally getting another title this season

Can the poll at the top be updated?? virtually into April and still who was "person of the year" for 2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭OldRio

This is appalling. How FIFA can close their eyes to this I know not.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/2022-world-cup-qatar-accused-3303458

FIFA should hold their heads in shame but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It is an utterly disgusting shambles. If they actually go ahead with the world cup there (and if they haven't pulled out yet, its hard to see what would actually make them) I truly hope that it is a complete disaster.

Qatar was a terrible choice. All about the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Qatar was a terrible choice. All about the money.

i dont think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

I really hope we win! I've had at least 20 years of misery listening to gloating Manchester United fans - Liverpool winning the league combined with their comical collapse would just be too good to be true. :)

I'm neutral...... I don't care who beats Liverpool :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I've not had any interest in football for a long time, but I really do like it when City or Chelsea aren't on the winning end of the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Podge_irl wrote: »
    It is an utterly disgusting shambles. If they actually go ahead with the world cup there (and if they haven't pulled out yet, its hard to see what would actually make them) I truly hope that it is a complete disaster.

Shockingly corrupt and, given the awarding of the RWC to NZ in 2011, I'm not sure the IRB are squeaky clean either. This is another level altogether though.

Human life is expendable in the organisation of this tournament. No sane person can make a strong case for the FIFA WC being held there in the face of all the negatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Different types of corruption there. Both appalling but are they comparable?

I'd say most on here would vote the Church because it's Irish related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

New Poll added :pac: (obviously it won't last long)

• Advertisement

The FIFA thing is disgraceful. The way host nations are chosen is so shady in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

The FIFA thing is disgraceful. The way host nations are chosen is so shady in general.

I think FIFA have shown them selves to be completely rotten at the core of the organisation. To award the competition to Qatar was questionable at best. To fundamentally change the history of the competition and to move the competition to another time of year and force Leagues to change is bewildering and then to top it off by not coming out strongly against the working conditions just beggars belief.

Have they confirmed it'll be in the winter? That's nuts really.

This (as in the Qatar WC) isn't the first time there have been questions raised about it. It seems to come up every now and again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Does anyone remember the BBC documentary shown just before the winners of the hosting of the 2022 world cup?

They secretly tapped a FIFA voting delegate and he was saying "I don't need money I've enough of that, I don't want women, what I really want is to be made a Knight! If you can make me a Knight I'll vote for you".

I wouldn't say human life is expendable in the preparation of this the WC, more than human life is expendable in general.

Things are very different over there
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zahir_Belounis

That Kafala system is utterly bonkers.

It's basically slave labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

****ing Fingal :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

I know it's not our sport, but this tackle has left the guy a paraplegic, and shows why lifting above the 90 should be card material every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Swiwi. wrote: »

I know it's not our sport, but this tackle has left the guy a paraplegic, and shows why lifting above the 90 should be card material every time.

Ahhh jesus. That's horrendous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

What point are you trying to make by posting that?

Grimebox wrote: »
    What point are you trying to make by posting that?
    it is a gorgeous, beautiful holiday destination that will cater for all your needs;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

it is a gorgeous, beautiful holiday destination that will cater for all your needs;)

It's not. Horrible place full of horrible/human rights denying people

QUOTE=Ugo Monye spacecraft experience;89717440]It's not. Horrible place full of horrible/human rights denying people[/QUOTE]:rolleyes:

really this may change your mind

All the ****in youtube videos in the world won't change the fact that it's a disgusting, racist country built on blood and oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Look at all the pretty things we sacrificed our people to build :pac:
    It's like an advertisement for Ancient Egypt.

*I know nothing about Qatar, but I've been taken over by the mob mentality.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    All the ****in youtube videos in the world won't change the fact that it's a disgusting, racist country built on blood and oil.

would you turn down a free holiday to see this place ? bg-image.jpg

Haha.

would you turn down a free holiday to see this place ?

the irony being those very buildings were made as a result of slave (more or less) labour

the irony being those very buildings were made as a result of slave (more or less) labour

The irony is many people would go holiday here and throw out any of these principals you have just outlined.

qatar_camels_custom-d64ede31733ddfec611284fe0f0c76863f9e2bb6-s6-c30.jpg

the camels are really enjoying their attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The irony is many people would go holiday here and throw out any of these principals you have just outlined.

They would? I know exactly zero people who have ever been to Qatar. I would not go there and have no interest in it before even considering the treatment of their workers which makes the country repugnant.

If you don't think that a lot of people would refuse to go there based on recent reports, you're very mistaken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭OldRio

I would imagine a lot of the people who holiday there have very little principles in the first place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There would be a good expat community over there and a good few Irish teachers or structural/civil engineers over there so I don't know why everyone is saying we don't go there.

Actually maybe I'm thinking of Dubai more here but I don't think Dubai is much different.

Anyway it doesn't matter you all think, you're just poor white people :P

Dubai is better though this is all pretty relative. Bahrain is pretty bad as well - we have business interests there and while I don't go myself I've not heard heartwarming things from my friends who are closely involved with it.

Money makes people fail to see plenty of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I know not everyone here appreciates it but The Walking Dead has had some seriously dark sh!t this season.

Talking of dark sh!t, I made a terrible decision to start watching Dexter on Netflix. Now I can't stop!

Hagz wrote: »
    Talking of dark sh!t, I made a terrible decision to start watching Dexter on Netflix. Now I can't stop!

Don't worry, it gets very ****!

Coral are offering bayern at 3/1 tomorrow night for new customers. I think they are UK only :(

Like printing money that. Max stake a tenner, but basically a free 30 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

Coral are offering bayern at 3/1 tomorrow night for new customers. I think they are UK only :(

Like printing money that. Max stake a tenner, but basically a free 30 quid.

Put your money on Utd & when they beat Bayern you can feel elated by your winnings & dirty because you're a pool supporter.

Put your money on Utd & when they beat Bayern you can feel elated by your winnings & dirty because you're a pool supporter.

There is a reason United at 6/1 my friend. :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement