Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I think this is actually the first book I've read by him... I've always meant to, but he's supposed to be an excellent short story writer. Been dabbling in short story writing myself recently, and reading a lot, so will probably pick up a few.

He has loads of short storied and a decent number of novellas each of about 100-120 pages.

The sheer volume of his work is ridiculous. I get the impression that he just sees something, starts wondering about it and a story just pops into his head and starts writing.

You've definitely started with one of hid trickier books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Wes Anderson is great. Life Aquatic is one of my favourite movies and he just seems to be getting better with time. Glad he is finally getting the widespread recognition he deserves.

Himself and Terrence Mallick inspired me to get into film making. But like with many things in my life I lost interest after a while.

The only thing I ever actually finished was this:

I apologise in advance, late night tv viewers especially those living in Germany/Austria/Switzerland will get it... I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Ha ha, to coin a kiwi phrase you're a real dag chupacabra! My cousin's man is a focus puller, has worked on a fair number of the Jackson films, and filming is hard work. Or should that be filiming? Why do the Irish add a vowel to film? It's film. Not filim. Just saying.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

chupacabra wrote: »
    I apologise in advance, late night tv viewers especially those living in Germany/Austria/Switzerland will get it... I hope.

...........German Switzerland is weird......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Swiwi. wrote: »
    It's film. Not filim. Just saying.

Shut your stupid Kiwi face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Shut your stupid Kiwi face.

Roight...

Ha ha, to coin a kiwi phrase you're a real dag chupacabra! My cousin's man is a focus puller, has worked on a fair number of the Jackson films, and filming is hard work. Or should that be filiming? Why do the Irish add a vowel to film? It's film. Not filim. Just saying.

Hold on a second now. Chupacabra is the only poster who can live in a foreign country and make jokes at the expense of his local audience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

For those of you unlucky enough to have small kids Wes Anderson also directed The Fantastic Mr Fox...a truly great movie that has been watched at least 100 times in our house....by the whole family!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Like people here pronouncing sandwich as samwich, to the extent that we now abbreviate it to sambo, we just pronounce some things funny. I've no idea where the m or the b come from, but we have them in there.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

mfceiling wrote: »
    For those of you unlucky enough to have small kids Wes Anderson also directed The Fantastic Mr Fox...a truly great movie that has been watched at least 100 times in our house....by the whole family!!

It's actually the only one I haven't seen. Must give it a watch!

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    It's actually the only one I haven't seen. Must give it a watch!

It's quality...really well done. Even the oul lad watched it with the kids one night..he's 60 odd and would barely watch the news....funny watching him glued to it!!

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I have no idea who Wes Anderson is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

awec wrote: »
    I have no idea who Wes Anderson is...

I think he's an ex manchester united midfielder, iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

I think he's an ex manchester united midfielder, iirc

wait, he transferred?

wait, he transferred?

Yes, to Budapest it seems. Have you not been reading the thread?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Buer wrote: »
    He has loads of short storied and a decent number of novellas each of about 100-120 pages.

The sheer volume of his work is ridiculous. I get the impression that he just sees something, starts wondering about it and a story just pops into his head and starts writing.

You've definitely started with one of hid trickier books.

I had been told that it's his best... I'm not a huge fan of horror in general, and I heard the Dark Tower drags badly after book 4 or 5. I'll probably read Under the Dome of his novels next.

Almost finished the Stand now, should finish it tomorrow. Trashcan Man is a great character.

But yeah, that's what you want from a writer really, just letting the ideas flow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Alot of King's books wouldn't really be horror, though they do tend to be on the dark side. Everyone's seen The Shawshank Redemption, which is one of his, but it's not a horror.

Under The Dome is another very good one I thought. Again though it's very good right up until the very end. The TV Series of it didn't do it for me. All good things must come to an end and Under The Dome's should have been at the end of the first series, the second series won't have anything to do with the book and so I'm out.

The tv series was crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

King is great at Character development..
    ..but his plots can be very suspect..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

they should have got this guy to be Big Jim

The_Rich_Texan.png

The tv series was crap.

I saw 1 episode. That was enough for me. I'm sick of all these shows and their beautiful people whose acting ability is questionable at best. The blonde one in it was in some other witch thing that the wife used to watch with a similar type of cast which is also a similar cast to a half dozen other shows about vampires, werewolves etc etc. They're all like the OC with a side of fantasy/sci-fi. I really don't give a rats ass about these characters as they're portrayed.

Yeah the acting was abysmal. I kinda hoped it would be poor acting in a niche TV movie style kind of way, but no, it was just terrible. Pity because the story is great.

Yeah the acting was abysmal. I kinda hoped it would be poor acting in a niche TV movie style kind of way, but no, it was just terrible. Pity because the story is great.

Yeah, Junior is meant to be this unhinged, unpredictable and frightening character but in the show (or at least the episode I saw) I didn't know whether to pity him or just dislike him. I certainly wasn't afraid of him though. He seemed like just another jock bully character with some mental health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Don't you mean it's fulm, not fulum?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/anniewestdotcom/status/451468270353137664/photo/1

BkPv__oCQAEcg_X.jpg:large

Gordon D'Arcy, If we hadn't won the Six Nations

ssaye2 wrote: »

Carter and Read were excellent at one stage at the short kick off. They were the first, of the current players, to do it from what I remember too

Well, Grand Budapest Hotel is possibly the most enjoyable filim I've seen this year. The stars of the show are Fiennes and the script in equal measures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Lads, can someone recommend a soccer app for the iPhone equivalent to ultimate rugby? I can't find one I like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

durkadurka wrote: »
    Lads, can someone recommend a soccer app for the iPhone equivalent to ultimate rugby? I can't find one I like.

the football app has loads of info but is tough to navigate at times.

Livescore is simpler but has less info.

Well tonight was the highlight of my social calendar....the school bingo night!!

Spot prizes were very good and then we get this question...

"The first dad to come up to the stage and name all 5 members of one direction will win the prize". Loads of young ones start roaring at me along with 3 oul ones behind me, until the wife chimes in with " he barely knows the names of his own kids!!"

To be fair I know there is a Harry and a Niall but after that...

I am spending the evening editing the school strictly come dancing video. I sh1t you not.

durkadurka wrote: »
    I am spending the evening editing the school strictly come dancing video. I sh1t you not.

did you draw the short straw? that sounds like a nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I'm doing a philosophy essay, and I'm trying to find 3 examples of the fallacy of ambiguity in contemporary media. Has anyone come across any examples recently? I cant find anyhting :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Thinks I finally figured out maths assignment. Gets negative area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Have an enormous thingy to do in Java.

Am not and never have been a computer scientist/programmer/anything.

Oh dear.

did you draw the short straw? that sounds like a nightmare.

The lads who did the dancing drew the short straw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I've got 4 rounds of questions for that quiz- GAA, General Sport, History & Entertainment. I'm pretty happy with them... certainly sounds like a lot easier task than some of yours :pac:

Bought myself a pair of Beats tonight - not bad at all.

• Advertisement

danthefan wrote: »
    Have an enormous thingy to do in Java.

Am not and never have been a computer scientist/programmer/anything.

Oh dear.

Outsource it to India and take all the plaudits!

awec wrote: »
    Bought myself a pair of Beats tonight - not bad at all.

I can no longer know you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

I spent tonight teaching a 72yo ex nun how to email & use her laptop & iPad .....I would have preferred to have edited that feckin strictly come dancing thingy!

I can no longer know you.

How come? :D

I got the black ones - they aren't as obvious as the others:

5cf61668bb6f11e389ef12ac79f96301_8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

They're known to be overpriced for what you get. Seinnheiser are better value for money allegedly

Was looking at the Sennheiser's too - I couldn't really tell a difference.

I have a pair of Sony ones that I've had about 4 years - they are much bigger than the Beats though. Not so great for wearing on the go, better for when you're sitting your desk in work.

For the money you paid for them I could've found you a a pair of cans that are twice as good, twice!

have a pair of Bose QC 15's. if you travel a lot or ever every so often they are worth the investment.

I spent tonight teaching a 72yo ex nun how to email & use her laptop & iPad .....I would have preferred to have edited that feckin strictly come dancing thingy!

Now sister this is google image and when you type in anything it will bring up an image for you.

A nice cream pie...let's just type that into...maybe we'll try something else if you don't mind sister...

• Advertisement

I have ATH-M50s and they sound lovely when the source is up to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement