Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Privatising the City Buses

Options
  • 27-05-2014 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Cant find any thread on this. Anyway from what I've been reading somewhere, all the city routes including Tramore afaik are to be privatised. Its going to lead to a loss of quite a few jobs.

On top of this if the private operators decide its not profitable to run there service anymore then there will be no obligation on Bus Eireann to provide the service in the future. This could be quite serious.

Also it is said that the new private operators may refuse to accept the free travel pass.

Any views on this lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

the govt will happily subsidise buses in Dublin cork, galway and everywhere in between, except here and a few other places. If they aren't going to subsidise routes here, then they should do same elsewhere. We are partially to blame as generally not many of us use the bus regularly once you are able to drive. Bus eireann are also to blame as they run an inefficient and not so customer friendly or cheap service.
    Things have improved recently with real time info and signs and stuff but not so sure that is on all routes. Also, we have all (in general) gotten into the habit of using cars

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

Wonder who will apply for the license for some of the other routes. Heard Kavanaghs who run Kennealys bus service are not interested in it at all. Their current route is not profitable.

The only option for the city is suirway unless a new operator comes to the city.

The lack of users has led to the decline to the service. I wouldn't have a car if the service was more frequent and run 7 days a week.

We can't blame anyone else bar ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I believe that Bus Eireann can bid to run the routes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aaaaaaaahhhhhh

As well as more people using cars however, I always thought most places in Waterford were considered walkable, with the exception of ardkeen, ballybeg and the like.
    Take hillview, 20 mins to town, 15 mins to the IDA, 20 mins to WIT.
    Only time i would get the bus is in the rain TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Kenneally's bus is unreliable, the timetable is a joke so it's not surprising more people are using their cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

As well as more people using cars however, I always thought most places in Waterford were considered walkable, with the exception of ardkeen, ballybeg and the like.
    Take hillview, 20 mins to town, 15 mins to the IDA, 20 mins to WIT.
    Only time i would get the bus is in the rain TBH

You are no doubt young and fit... the definition of "walkable" changes a whole lot if you're old or infirm, or have small children in tow.

If you've got difficulties walking, or if you don't drive (never learned, can't afford it, banned, alcoholic, vision-impaired, etc.), a bus service is essential in terms of your inclusion in society and your ability to get out and participate in work, social activities, etc.

It would be very sad to see any reduction in bus services in Waterford, especially given the amount of unemployment we have here. Bad enough to be without a job, but then to have to rely on walking, taxis or lifts for basic things like visiting friends, taking a walk on the Prom or doing the shopping?

Some things we simply have to provide as a state, and I'm personally very happy for my taxes to go towards subsidising our bus services. I'd be disgusted if those taxes were subsidising services in Galway or Cork and not in my home city! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The current services are not frequent enough or reliable enough. The Brown's Road service is meant to be every 20 mins but I've often stood at the bus stop for upwards of half an hour waiting. This leads to a lack of confidence in the bus services, which in turn leads to people taking alternative means of transport.

Plus, the city services dont even run on a Sunday/Bank Holiday which is just ridiculous.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Something that the campaigners don't appear to want to tell us. Bus Eireann can also submit a tender for the service. One would assume that Bus Eireann are responsible for their employees and their contract isn't per route. I'd love to see the route opened up and more competitive, might drive down the price and increase the reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I can see how they could possible reduce the price. it would end up comparable to the kenneallys price.

I love the kenneallys bus and often walk to town and get the bus back. though it's to expensive to get the bus both ways , as this more than 2 hours car parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

deisemum wrote: »
    Kenneally's bus is unreliable, the timetable is a joke so it's not surprising more people are using their cars.

I can say the same about BusEireann routes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Sully wrote: »
    Something that the campaigners don't appear to want to tell us. Bus Eireann can also submit a tender for the service. One would assume that Bus Eireann are responsible for their employees and their contract isn't per route. I'd love to see the route opened up and more competitive, might drive down the price and increase the reliability.

So why is it only being done here?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It is.

The link you posted is only for a tiny number of commuter services from Dublin to Tullamore. Dublin Bus is not affected. But for Waterford all of the city routes are being privatized.

It is.

The link you posted is only for a tiny number of commuter services from Dublin to Tullamore. Dublin Bus is not affected. But for Waterford all of the city routes are being privatized.

You said it was happening only in Waterford. I gave you a link showing otherwise. The Waterford to Tramore route is the most expensive route in the country and local Cllrs have been bemoaning them for sometime about not adding additional stops because the drivers won't.

What does it matter if it's privatised as long as it benefits the consumer?

You said it was happening only in Waterford. I gave you a link showing otherwise. The Waterford to Tramore route is the most expensive route in the country and local Cllrs have been bemoaning them for sometime about not adding additional stops because the drivers won't.

What does it matter if it's privatised as long as it benefits the consumer?

The scheme for Dublin is not worth talking about when the size of the Dublin fleet is considered >1100 buses with hundreds of routes and none of these are actually being privatized. What matters is the services are retained and there is no obligation for the private company to pull out if they see fit nor any obligation for BE to reinstate the service as a replacement. Therefore I suspect it will be a service cut by stealth. Again if it is so good why is it not being rolled out in Cork and Galway? This is what stinks about it. There is towns half the size of Waterford where this is not being implemented such as Navan. So excuse me if I smell a rat!

The scheme for Dublin is not worth talking about when the size of the Dublin fleet is considered >1100 buses with hundreds of routes and none of these are actually being privatized. What matters is the services are retained and there is no obligation for the private company to pull out if they see fit nor any obligation for BE to reinstate the service as a replacement. Therefore I suspect it will be a service cut by stealth. Again if it is so good why is it not being rolled out in Cork and Galway? This is what stinks about it. There is towns half the size of Waterford where this is not being implemented such as Navan. So excuse me if I smell a rat!

I wasn't aware you saw the tender, my bad.

My route in Dublin is being put out for tender...

AdMMM wrote: »
    My route in Dublin is being put out for tender...

Which route is that do you mind me asking?

The 114, it's an orbital route that provides connections to the Luas and Dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

A march from bus station to Paudie Coffey TD's Constituency office.

BrASj2cIgAA7OwR.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Government doing an absolutely abysmal job of public transport in this country. Sell it off I say and let someone else do the job properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I'm not too pleased with the 605 route. often waited over an hour to get that bus

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I can only speak for the Keneallys Bus out the Dunmore Rd as its the only one I really ever use.
    The reason people are not using it is that its so unreliable. In 15 years using it, I could nearly count on m fingers how many times its shown up on time or at all. Added to that theres no Sunday service which in todays world is beyond ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Kenneallys bus timetable is just a piece of fiction, I've yet to use it and it arrive on time according to their own timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

deisemum wrote: »
    Kenneallys bus timetable is just a piece of fiction, I've yet to use it and it arrive on time according to their own timetable.

Not just that. Its rarely 20 minutes between buses like its supposed to be.

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I can only speak for the Keneallys Bus out the Dunmore Rd as its the only one I really ever use.
    The reason people are not using it is that its so unreliable. In 15 years using it, I could nearly count on m fingers how many times its shown up on time or at all. Added to that theres no Sunday service which in todays world is beyond ridiculous.

Well Keneallys is a private service so this is what we can expect on the rest of the routes.

Privatization it's the future:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

and that route has had the benefit of bus lanes!

I do find the that bus great after 6 pm for getting to town etc when there is no traffic but I'd hate to have to rely on it to get to work, you can never guess how long it will take to get down the quay and out the dunmore road.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭1moo345

Is it presumed buses are as normal tomorrow, as it is just a public march? or?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

Well Keneallys is a private service so this is what we can expect on the rest of the routes.

Privatization it's the future:rolleyes:

It's even worse on public routes. I don't remember 605 on time. Good few 602s missing like a postman in Stradbally during the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Not just that. Its rarely 20 minutes between buses like its supposed to be.

I never use public transport as I live near enough to the city so I don't have to
    but with the volume of traffic on the roads & the relative size of the buses servicing
    the routes what do people expect?

They don't come with a blue flashing light & siren!

Advertisement