Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long can i holiday in Spain?

Options
  • 27-05-2014 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering, how long is it possible to go on holiday to Spain for, with an Irish passport? I am looking to take a career break there for a year, so do not intend on working or studying there during that time. I have enough money to support myself, but am wondering if there any restrictions on the amount of time that I can spend there.

Kind Regards,

Maximus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

You can stay as long as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Maximus277

I keep reading about a 90 day restriction limit. Is this only for people who live outside of the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

90 days as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Its the EU, you can stay there as long as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

You have free movement within the EU countries, if you are a citizen of an EU country. You can work or live within any of the EU countries without time constraints or without a visa.

The 90 day constraint is for non-EU members and there are other conditions, depending on situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Technically, if you stay more than 90 days you're supposed to register as a resident EU citizen. You'll be issued with an ID number (NIE) and a certificate confirming your status. Under recent laws they can ask for proof that you can support yourself and have adequate health cover. That was try to sort out some of the problems they have with retirees coming over to the Costas and overloading the local health services. Remember, the EU right is to live AND work in another EU country.

The NIE is important if you're going to have any interaction with state services or some other things like opening a resident bank account. You can also Empadronar yourself (register with the local council) and that may get you some entitlement to free healthcare. I think the conditions vary by region.

Having said all that, if you have your own means of support and plan to drink beer on terraces and lie on the beach all year, you can probably get away without any of the above. I had to get the NIE immediately as I was working but was here 4 years before anyone told me about the Empadronar business.

http://spain.angloinfo.com/moving/residency/eu-citizens/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Under recent laws they can ask for proof that you can support yourself and have adequate health cover....... Remember, the EU right is to live AND work in another EU country.

Actually this rule applies to all EU countries! And the rule goes deeper when seeking work, if you fail to show economic viability within the first five years, you can be refused permanent residence status.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sergis

Actually for healthy issues, if you have the European sanitary card should be enough.
    For renting an apartment or a room I think should be OK with your Irish Passport.
    But regarding how many months you can really stay, I think you will not have problem for that, you are European!

Anyway, if you need more info about Spain, just let me know.

Advertisement