Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord thinking of selling up

Options
  • 27-05-2014 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

currently in a house share with a couple of others. we all rent on a room by room basis. none of us have a contract with the landlord just the general requirement is a months notice if we are planning on moving out. however we have recently found out the landlord is in financial difficulties and may have to sell. Do we have any rights at all since theres is no contract

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Does the landlord live there at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

no it was an investment property they seem to have bought at the wrong time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

What rights do you mean?
    You still have the right to peaceful enjoyment of the property during any notice period.
    If you are suggesting that you can prevent the sale then No you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

no I don't mean prevent the sale. just wondering in relation to estate agents viewing, notice from current or new landlords. has anyone ever been in a similar situation before

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How long are you living there?

• Advertisement

Are you on a fixed lease or a part IV?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

No Pants wrote: »
    Are you on a fixed lease or a part IV?
    The OP said there was no contract. Part 4 is irrelevant in this case other than to determine the notice periods.
    no I don't mean prevent the sale. just wondering in relation to estate agents viewing, notice from current or new landlords. has anyone ever been in a similar situation before
    Are you going to remain in the house? It would be fairly unusual to sell a house with the tenants unaffected given the details that you have provided of your agreement with the landlord. I would have assumed you will be asked to move out before the sale.
    If there are iewings arranged while you are still in the house they need to arrange a viewing time that you agree with.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    The OP said there was no contract. Part 4 is irrelevant in this case other than to determine the notice periods.
    Fixed lease would have an impact though. Missed that bit at the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

I think if you are there longer than 6 months you will have a right to the Part 4 notice periods.

However he has a right to sell.

As regards Estate Agents visits they should be arranged at a time that suits you but I donlt see any value in being awkward about it.

Perhaps you should contact your landlord directly and ask him if his intention is to sell? Maybe ask for a fixed term lease to be put in place in oder to give you security?

Advertisement