Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Alt/Indie Opinions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Stereophonics are a cracking live band with some proper indie anthems and don't deserve so much stick

Truthfully their version of Handbags and the Gladrags is the best I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

The Bends is Radioheads best album by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

The Bends is Radioheads best album by far.

And it's been a downward slide since?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

daUbiq wrote: »
    And it's been a downward slide since?

Not saying that, it's just my favourite. It's an unpopular opinion...

May be down to the fact that it was the first album of theirs that I heard and I fell in love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

May be down to the fact that it was the first album of theirs that I heard and I fell in love.

It's the second album of theirs that I heard (Pablo Honey was the first) but I still think it's their best by far.

• Advertisement

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    It's the second album of theirs that I heard (Pablo Honey was the first) but I still think it's their best by far.

It's a superb album but I prefer Ok Computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭sheroman01

There's an unfair stigma attached to Kings of Leon. Their first 3 (first 2 in particular) albums are absolute quality. Such raw, original, energetic music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

sheroman01 wrote: »
    There's an unfair stigma attached to Kings of Leon. Their first 3 (first 2 in particular) albums are absolute quality. Such raw, original, energetic music.

Then it ALL went horribly wrong..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I found Kings of Leon kind of boring from the beginning. I just saw them as another band hopping on the retro bandwagon that was set in motion by The Strokes and The White Stripes. The 'Southern Strokes' label that was applied to them early on made me cringe. I honestly thought that they'd be a fad band that would fade away quickly. But surprisingly not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I found Kings of Leon kind of boring from the beginning. I just saw them as another band hopping on the retro bandwagon that was set in motion by The Strokes and The White Stripes. The 'Southern Strokes' label that was applied to them early on made me cringe. I honestly thought that they'd be a fad band that would fade away quickly. But surprisingly not.

The Southern Strokes sobriquet was in no way indicative of what they sounded like AT ALL, was just lazy, I presume the NME, journalism trying to create a 'scene'. Jesus, none of the three you name sound like any of the other (not giving out to you, I remember that was how the media tried to portray it). Anyway, I'm on the side of the first 2 KOL albums being amazing and there's nothing retro about the 2nd album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I was waiting for the "Southern Strokes" comparison. Hate that comparison. As Birneybau said above, The Strokes and KOL are not alike. I dunno, obviously it's hard not to be biased and music is of course subjective, but I listen to Aha Shake Heartbreak from start to finish and just wonder how anybody could hate it. The wonders of music :)

Incidently, here's another unpopular opinion I hold - though I like The Strokes, I find them extremely over-rated. I see nothing special about them at all. Is This It is an okay album, with some catchy songs, but certainly not one of the best albums that's ever been released, as it's made out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

I was one of the minority getting out of the Electric Picnic arena as Hozier was getting on stage. Even When Take Me To Church was first released last year, it left me cold. I just don't get it. The new single he has just reaffirms how indifferent his music makes me feel.

I was one of the minority getting out of the Electric Picnic arena as Hozier was getting on stage. Even When Take Me To Church was first released last year, it left me cold. I just don't get it. The new single he has just reaffirms how indifferent his music makes me feel.

Like a modern day Van Morrison, the bad stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Anyone who says they don't like the Strokes is trying too hard.

They were a great band, and the first two albums were solid.

The media whipped up a New York garage rock scene around them, and then dumped then when garage rock fashion wasn't cool any more.

I wouldn't say that anyone who dislikes The Strokes is trying to hard, it's not possible for everyone to like them. I still think Is This It is a great album and still holds up well after 13 years. I remember being slightly disappointed with Room On Fire when it was released but in retrospect it's actually a good album. Anything they released after that didn't interest me.

The whole garage rock revival thing emerged from Detroit and New York in the late 90's/early 00's but it was inevitable that the media would lump any retro-sounding band together at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

mosstin wrote: »
    The Irish music alternative music scene, such as it is, is almost uniformly dreadful. Too self-celebrating, po-faced and safe.

Two words for you my friend.

Adrian Crowley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Anyone who says they don't like the Strokes is trying too hard.

They were a great band, and the first two albums were solid.

The media whipped up a New York garage rock scene around them, and then dumped then when garage rock fashion wasn't cool any more.
    Agreed.

If you don't still love this then you've lost something

I wouldn't say that anyone who dislikes The Strokes is trying to hard, it's not possible for everyone to like them. I still think Is This It is a great album and still holds up well after 13 years. I remember being slightly disappointed with Room On Fire when it was released but in retrospect it's actually a good album. Anything they released after that didn't interest me.

The whole garage rock revival thing emerged from Detroit and New York in the late 90's/early 00's but it was inevitable that the media would lump any retro-sounding band together at the time.

One great album that came out of that period was 'Pawn Shoppe Heart' by the Von Bondies which kinda got overlooked because of some sh!te between Jack White and the singer of the Von Bondies. Now, a song from it is used as the theme tune for that Denis Leary firefighter drama and another was used in a Lifesyle Sports ad but they are 2 of the weakest tracks on the album.

Here's a good un:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Birneybau wrote: »
    One great album that came out of that period was 'Pawn Shoppe Heart' by the Von Bondies

yeah - that is a great album, I'd more or less forgotten about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭mosstin

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Two words for you my friend.

Adrian Crowley.

One word for you my friend - almost.

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    One great album that came out of that period was 'Pawn Shoppe Heart' by the Von Bondies which kinda got overlooked because of some sh!te between Jack White and the singer of the Von Bondies. Now, a song from it is used as the theme tune for that Denis Leary firefighter drama and another was used in a Lifesyle Sports ad but they are 2 of the weakest tracks on the album.
    I can remember C'mon C'mon being used in a Lifestyle Sports ad a good few years ago. I've never given the band a proper listen and I might check out that album.

My favourite album from that period is Keep On Your Mean Side by The Kills. Best listened to loud of course.

I can remember C'mon C'mon being used in a Lifestyle Sports ad a good few years ago. I've never given the band a proper listen and I might check out that album.

My favourite album from that period is Keep On Your Mean Side by The Kills. Best listened to loud of course.

Do. C'mon C'mon is a decent track but there are better on the album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

If we're talking best band to came out of that garage rock revival era I'd have to put Yeah Yeah Yeahs at the top of the list. While Mosquito may be the weakest of their 4 releases I do think they've been produced consistently great music over the past 10 years which has varied just enough to ensure it doesn't seem dated.

Which reminds me, I need to go stream Karen O's new one....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭mosstin

S.M.B. wrote: »
    If we're talking best band to came out of that garage rock revival era I'd have to put Yeah Yeah Yeahs at the top of the list. While Mosquito may be the weakest of their 4 releases I do think they've been produced consistently great music over the past 10 years which has varied just enough to ensure it doesn't seem dated.

You exaggerate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Listened to that von bondies album for the first time in about ten years yesterday and it reminded me why I hadn't listened to it in ten years. It's very average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

It's as good as any White Stripes album.

Which isn't saying a whole lot to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

S.M.B. wrote: »

100%. Probably my favourite band of the last 10 years.

GarIT wrote: »
    How unpopular can an opinion be?

IMO music generally isn't worth listening to if it hasn't been released by a large label.

Now this is an unpopular opinion as most people posting here would probably say the opposite, music released by large labels is generally a load of ****e... maybe you're taking the piss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

The middleclass landfill indie sh*te that Ireland is churning out over the past few years is an all time low for Irish music

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

The middleclass landfill indie sh*te that Ireland is churning out over the past few years is an all time low for Irish music

Which bands would you define as middleclass landfill indie?

Advertisement