Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Alt/Indie Opinions

12345679»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

But with The Verve,they became so huge in the market, that they headlined Slane back in 97? (i think or 98, correct me if Im wrong) , they defintely did become mainstream and so big, but looking back, were they really any good??, I dunno.......

Never got the appeal of them myself. When Bittersweet Symphony was released the music press went nuts over them and it snowballed from there. Ashcroft is a woeful singer too, he makes Ian Brown sound like Pavarotti.

Regarding unpopular opinions. I really don't get the Smiths at all. Tried to get into them but no, it never happened despite having a few go's. I just can't see why they are so highly regarded.

Spiritualized's Ladies and Gentlemen we are Floating in Space was the greatest album of the 1990s and was far superior to OK Computer. Both of which were released on the same day.

Not only is POP U2's best album, Discotheque is their finest single. They should have called it a day after that album rather than carry on as a MOR stadium rock outfit.

The Libertines were utter muck.

MGMT are actually rather decent. Took a bit of cojones to go down the avant garde / psychedelic route.

Brian Jonestown Massacre are one of the best bands of the past 30 years. Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request is up there with the best of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭IamNotNumber

mzungu wrote: »
    Never got the appeal of them myself. When Bittersweet Symphony was released the music press went nuts over them and it snowballed from there. Ashcroft is a woeful singer too, he makes Ian Brown sound like Pavarotti.

Regarding unpopular opinions. I really don't get the Smiths at all. Tried to get into them but no, it never happened despite having a few go's. I just can't see why they are so highly regarded.

Spiritualized's Ladies and Gentlemen we are Floating in Space was the greatest album of the 1990s and was far superior to OK Computer. Both of which were released on the same day.

Not only is POP U2's best album, Discotheque is their finest single. They should have called it a day after that album rather than carry on as a MOR stadium rock outfit.

The Libertines were utter muck.

MGMT are actually rather decent. Took a bit of cojones to go down the avant garde / psychedelic route.

Brian Jonestown Massacre are one of the best bands of the past 30 years. Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request is up there with the best of them.
    The verve forgetable really sortta thrust upon us along with the darkness and other music I didnt get..never got never will..Spirtualized seem them a few times times ..do I wanna see them again in kilhkamim with a crowd who have no idea who they are much less Pattis Smyth ..dunno much about her myself ..after seeing spirtualized in the NCH that was the pinnacle
    Benji sun kill moon mark whats his name over-rated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

The first Verve album and their self-titled EP are really great. I prefered them when they were a darker psychedelic outfit than the britpop band that became famous.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

I like Funeral the least out of Arcade fire's albums. Neon Bible is the best one, followed by Reflektor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

foo fighters are a bit crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭roll

sweetie wrote: »
    foo fighters are a bit crap.

they are awful?! doesn't qualify!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

Manic Street Preachers were one of those bands that had massive critical acclaim but no mainstream appeal.

They were streets ahead of Oasis/Blur/Suede/Pulp/The Verve, and their work still holds up today.

I always wonder was it because they were Welsh that the media didn't get behind them as much as they got behind the English guys

I don't understand how you can think they had massive critical acclaim but that the media didn't get behind them. And they also had mainstream appeal (they had a number one single, and a few of their albums reached quite high in the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,901 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I don't understand how you can think they had massive critical acclaim but that the media didn't get behind them. And they also had mainstream appeal (they had a number one single, and a few of their albums reached quite high in the charts.

I think they had two number one singles.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Manic Street Preachers were one of those bands that had massive critical acclaim but no mainstream appeal.

They were streets ahead of Oasis/Blur/Suede/Pulp/The Verve, and their work still holds up today.

I always wonder was it because they were Welsh that the media didn't get behind them as much as they got behind the English guys

From what I recall the Manics headlined Glastonbury and all the main festivals back in their heyday, and albums like Everything Must Go sold massively. Its not that they didn't have mainstream appeal, back in the day they certainly did. Granted these days they would not be the big draw they once were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Sonic Youth had massive critical acclaim but the media never got behind them like they got behind other bands of the era
    My Bloody Valentine had critical acclaim but weren't bigged up as much as Happy Mondays or Stone Roses
    Psychocandy is better than anything The Cure ever did, but JaMC were never written about as much as The Cure.

The bands with huge critical acclaim have never had the mainstream appeal of their tamer contempories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Sonic Youth had massive critical acclaim but the media never got behind them like they got behind other bands of the era
    My Bloody Valentine had critical acclaim but weren't bigged up as much as Happy Mondays or Stone Roses
    Psychocandy is better than anything The Cure ever did, but JaMC were never written about as much as The Cure.

The bands with huge critical acclaim have never had the mainstream appeal of their tamer contempories.

The Mondays, Roses and Cure all had a knack for producing catchy pop songs that MBV, JAMC and Sonic Youth did not - that's why they were more popular.

loyatemu wrote: »
    The Mondays, Roses and Cure all had a knack for producing catchy pop songs that MBV, JAMC and Sonic Youth did not - that's why they were more popular.
    JAMC were actually capable of producing catchy pop hooks, it's just that they cloaked them in a hail of distortion and feedback. 'Never Understand' is actually a catchy song.

It was good no doubt but would it make a top ten desert island albums of the 90's?

It was good no doubt but would it make a top ten desert island albums of the 90's?

Absolutely :)

The gig in the NCH was sensational ..thinking about the gig in kilmahaim but they are better indoors imo..new album as well second half of the year but they will never eclispse L&G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

I may be misunderstanding you here, but isn't 'getting behind a band' the same as giving them critical acclaim? You said that the Manics got the critical acclaim but the media were never behind them (that's not how I recall their coverage in the 90s) and that they didn't have mainstream success, when they clearly did. Two number ones (according to another poster) and albums that charted very well. What changed for the Manics was that Everything Must Go wasn't another Holy Bible. This applies to Sonic Youth, JAMC and MBV. The media could have got behind these bands all they liked, but they were never going to get mainstream success if they didn't significantly alter their sound to appeal to that mainstream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

That would be unpopular here, they're probably my favorite band ever. Pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Meat is Murder is damn better than the Queen is Dead, just my opinion. :-)

Marr is epic throughout. Every song is ridiculously good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Meat is Murder is damn better than the Queen is Dead, just my opinion. :-)

Marr is epic throughout. Every song is ridiculously good.

no argument with that - MiM is brilliant and has aged better than TQiD (partly because the latter has a more 80s production).

Of course their best album is Hatful of Hollow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Cosmicfox wrote: »
    I like Funeral the least out of Arcade fire's albums. Neon Bible is the best one, followed by Reflektor.

I love Arcade Fire's last two albums, but I loathe Neon Bible. Makes The Joshua Tree sound as twee as a Belle and Sebastian album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I love Arcade Fire's last two albums, but I loathe Neon Bible. Makes The Joshua Tree sound as twee as a Belle and Sebastian album.

I can't for the life of me understand what it is that you're trying to say.

I can't for the life of me understand what it is that you're trying to say.

That even a young Bono would wince at the humourless pomposity and self righteous melodrama of Neon Bible.

The Suburbs was a more subtle and less preachy affair with much better melodies.

That even a young Bono would wince at the humourless pomposity and self righteous melodrama of Neon Bible.

The Suburbs was a more subtle and less preachy affair with much better melodies.

I know tracks from suburbs but have never listened to that or subsequent albums in their entirety ..have they split now will butler doing all right on his own ..if not I say the cracks are there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭coppinger

I cant take any band wearing skinny jeans seriously - looking at you strokes - those jeans are redonculous on men

Outdoor gigs are always crap

And finally an oldie cliche - I prefer oasis to blur - would rather listen to definitely maybe than parklife, soz, the head says blur but the heart says oasis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

I'm bored of Alex Turner's Fonzi / Lothario phase

iomega wrote: »
    I'm bored of Alex Turner's Fonzi / Lothario phase

Hardly controversial.Morrissey and Liam Gallagher have more charisma in their toenails...He is a great songwriter,to be fair to the lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Hardly controversial.Morrissey and Liam Gallagher have more charisma in their toenails...He is a great songwriter,to be fair to the lad.

Agreed - I'm Outta Time is an amazing song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Here's an unpopular opinion of Alan McGee...."people go on about Kevin shields like he's a musical saviour ....gimmie a break...He's just a guy that can't finish an album"

Here's an unpopular opinion of Alan McGee...."people go on about Kevin shields like he's a musical saviour ....gimmie a break...He's just a guy that can't finish an album"
    Seems like somebody's pissy about somebody contributing to the bankruptcy of a certain record label :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement