Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you a runner or a jogger?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭rom

Who cares ?

Was there a really a need for the orgasm reference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I thought you were a jogger if you run on the spot while waiting at traffic lights etc

If you discover a body or are murdered while out running, you're a jogger.

You're a runner, albeit an annoying one,
    If you post running motivational posters on FB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭rom

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    I thought you were a jogger if you run on the spot while waiting at traffic lights etc

If you can't run without a phone or ipod with you then you are a jogger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

nerraw1111 wrote: »

You're a runner if you find a dead body out on your run and keep on running as you're in the middle of an important tempo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

19399436.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

You're a jogger if you spend hundreds of euros on fancy nike/ adidas gear, radios that attach to your arm, donut shaped water bottles etc.

My running snobbery showing here!!!! People can obviously spend their money whatever way they want and good luck to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

TRR wrote: »
    You're a runner if you find a dead body out on your run and keep on running as you're in the middle of an important tempo :)

You're a runner if you see a childhood or college friend you havent seen for a decade, who gives you a massive wave and hello, and you keep going because you're in the middle of a tempo run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I used to get pi$$ed off when people referred to me as a jogger. Nowadays, I just respond with 'I can jog faster than you, mµthafµgher'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

was having a pint last week, father in law arrives in and says "I heard you won the half marathon jog last week" and bought me a pint. Was going to explain the difference between half marathons and 5Ks and the difference between running and jogging, but I thought it would be churlish to do so :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

This bit is the difference:
    ... I like the comfort zone...

If you are prepared to take on some pain in your running/ jogging/ faster than walking, then you are a runner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

V funny article, and a question that I've asked myself at times, not really liking the answer:rolleyes:

Is there a particular speed that differentiates one from t'other? As someone firmly stuck around the 8.20/8.30 per mile what can I classify myself as? Do I need an 8min mile avg pace to firmly call myself a runner? HELP!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

shergar22 wrote: »
    Is there a particular speed that differentiates one from t'other?

The usual classification is that anyone slower than you is a jogger and anyone faster than you is a running snob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I believe the J is silent in jogging. That's all I know. It's Swedish.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

PaulieC wrote: »
    Was going to explain the difference between half marathons and 5Ks and the difference between running and jogging, but I thought it would be churlish to do so :pac:

That's only cos you got a free pint! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

What's the difference between a jogger and a fun-runner then? I'm confused.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

MrCreosote wrote: »
    What's the difference between a jogger and a fun-runner then? I'm confused.

A fun runner is how anyone going slower than 2:59:59 is referred to by Brendan Foster in the London marathon commentary. Nobody self declares themselves as fun runners... Unless they are wearing fancy dress at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don't know how anyone can describe running as fun, or running for fun. It's probably the least fun activity on earth!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

robinph wrote: »
    A fun runner is how anyone going slower than 2:59:59 is referred to by Brendan Foster in the London marathon commentary. Nobody self declares themselves as fun runners... Unless they are wearing fancy dress at the time.

Who was the chap doing the Dublin marathon commentary a few years back that basically referred to anyone not an elite as a fun runner....doing it for the t-shirt
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

walshb wrote: »
    I don't know how anyone can describe running as fun, or running for fun. It's probably the least fun activity on earth!

If you don't find running enjoyable at all then you're doing it wrong or perhaps you need to do something else instead :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Ur probably hangin around the wrong forum so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

If I'm doing an official 5k run I go at 4:47/km or a little faster and I count that as running. If I'm running on my own and going longer distances I go at about 6:00/km. I'm not sure if that's running or jogging.

My comment wasn't in a negative sense. More complimentary I would say. Nothing fun about such a tough discipline. People falling over the line after running to their max isn't fun, not to me anyway. I run to keep fit. I enjoy it too, sometimes! But I don't think to myself that I am having fun.

I enjoyed the article. Writer is spot on.

Well I wouldn't use the word fun to describe the second half of any race as if you are doing it right then the hurt should be just getting more and more throughout. But you put yourself through that hurt in order to get to the finish line and whilst it might not immediately result in a happy smiley face that the uninitiated might recognise as being a sign of having had "fun" during the race, we must be having fun or we wouldn't do it.

The running and racing is enjoyable, despite not looking it, as if it wasn't we wouldn't be doing it to ourselves.

My comment wasn't in a negative sense. More complimentary I would say. Nothing fun about such a tough discipline. People falling over the line after running to their max isn't fun, not to me anyway. I run to keep fit. I enjoy it too, sometimes! But I don't think to myself that I am having fun.

I enjoyed the article. Writer is spot on.

Sometimes running isn't fun but I reckon 60-70% of my runs are truly enjoyable. Feeling banjaxed at the end of a race is one of my favourite feelings, ultimate high!

Well I wouldn't use the word fun to describe the second half of any race as if you are doing it right then the hurt should be just getting more and more throughout. .

I think it depends on the race and the person to be honest,

I did Connemara Marathon few years back and it was an awful slog to the finish, I did the Ultra last year and I can honestly say that I enjoyed it...and I even thought this to myself at around mile 34.

I actually remember saying to somebody at the finish line that by far it was my most enjoyable race,

Maybe i just wasn't pushing myself enough? :pac:

Cabaal wrote: »
    I think it depends on the race and the person to be honest,

I did Connemara Marathon few years back and it was an awful slog to the finish, I did the Ultra last year and I can honestly say that I enjoyed it...and I even thought this to myself at around mile 34.

I actually remember saying to somebody at the finish line that by far it was my most enjoyable race,

Maybe i just wasn't pushing myself enough? :pac:

Actually this reminds me, some of the worst runs I've ever done are when I'm running with someone a good bit slower than me, so it feels like an unnatural slog and also a couple of the races were I've acted as pacer. Paced a marathon and I'll never do it again. Was prancing around thinking what's the feckin' point of this!

I would imagine that the training/racing that elite athletes do is far from fun. It's hell, but a necessary hell to stay competitive. Playing golf or snooker I could say would be or could be fun. A steady and controlled run could well be fun. Pushing the body hard and consistent? Not fun for me.

Pushing the body hard and consistent? Not fun for me.

So what is the reason for putting yourself through it then?

There has to be some benefit or you wouldn't do it. "Fun" might not be the correct name of the emotion to associate with the reason that you run, but if there wasn't a positive outcome from the activity then you wouldn't be doing it.

It's not fun, but it is definitely positive.

So what is the reason for putting yourself through it then?

There has to be some benefit or you wouldn't do it. "Fun" might not be the correct name of the emotion to associate with the reason that you run, but if there wasn't a positive outcome from the activity then you wouldn't be doing it.

It's not fun, but it is definitely positive.

Like I said, I run to stay fit. I rarely rarely go 100 percent on a run. Why? It's too painful and far from enjoyable or fun. The benefits/positives is the outdoors and the cardio benefits I hope. I believe I can get theses benefits without having to go at full capacity/effort!

The three races I did in the past 15 months were all enjoyable the day after. During it they were hell. Hell because I was going as fast as I could for as long as I could.

Don't think I ever saw a runner at full tilt smiling and giggling his/her way around a course. Not including Eamon's 1983 win in Helsinki.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Em , it's called s and m , whatever floats your boat , someone had to say it eventually .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I'm definitely a runner all be it a slow but improving one at the moment. I can run without ipod but usually chose not to, I enjoy listening to music or podcast on my runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭inigo

Can I be a trail jogger?

Advertisement