Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Year Visa Granted (Single or Return Flight??)

Options
  • 27-05-2014 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

I have received confirmation of my two year working visa to Canada which i,m told I will get once I arrive at customs when I arrive as long as I have all the necessary documents.

However I applied with GO4LESS and it stipulated on the website that I need to have a return ticket which will be useless to me cause I will stay for the two years and a return ticket is only valid for 1 year. Has anybody had any problems with just getting a single ticket when arriving at customs and getting your visa.??

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You just need to show proof of funds. That implies you have enough to cover a return flight home. No need to actually book a return.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GapYearCanada

They probably haven't updated their information, the return ticket requirement was removed in the new IEC visas released in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

When you arrive you will be directed to Canadian Immigration - They are the people that will issue your work permit. It's luck of the draw as regards who you get - Some are OK, some are a right pain. Remember that even if all your paperwork is in order you still need to "sell yourself" to them. Present yourself as well as possible. I had a colleague refused entry purely on the basis that he "looked like a thug" ! - I jest not.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DAVIDDOLAN

wow. Thats strict. I was unaware of that. Thanks for the advice. might consider wearing a suit then.lol or just look my best and have a shave before I get off the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭john_jobin

DAVIDDOLAN wrote: »
    wow. Thats strict. I was unaware of that. Thanks for the advice. might consider wearing a suit then.lol or just look my best and have a shave before I get off the plane.

To be honest that one particular lad must have been dressed awfully bad for them to refuse him based off his looks! 90% of the border control agents are lovely in my experience, but there's always one on a bit of a power trip that you might end up getting.

Just don't turn up with a shaved head and your tracksuit tucked into your socks and you'll be fine haha :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DAVIDDOLAN

ha ha ha. as long as I dont dress like that its fine i am sure. I would love to find the origin of that style. who came up with it?? it seems to be universal around Ireland. its just plain weird.

john_jobin wrote: »
    To be honest that one particular lad must have been dressed awfully bad for them to refuse him based off his looks! 90% of the border control agents are lovely in my experience, but there's always one on a bit of a power trip that you might end up getting.

Just don't turn up with a shaved head and your tracksuit tucked into your socks and you'll be fine haha :p

Funnily enough the lad I was referring to did have a shaved head and his (uncovered) arms were covered in tattoos ! They let him in, but only gave him a work permit for a month when his paperwork was requesting three years.... I would imagine that piercings are another no no - Rightly so in my opinion ! .:)

wow. Thats strict. I was unaware of that. Thanks for the advice. might consider wearing a suit then.

Don't wear your shell suit ! .:D

Joking aside, no need for a suit - Smart casual is fine.

Be prepared if they ask you their favourite question " Why couldn't the job that you are coming to do here be done by a Canadian ? " - Remember that while it's boom times in Alberta at the moment, there are lots of areas (Ontario is one) where the job situation is not so good.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's an working holiday visa... You shouldn't need to answer any questions like that. Most people haven't got jobs lined up going over, so that question couldn't even be asked.

• Advertisement

ha ha ha. as long as I dont dress like that its fine i am sure. I would love to find the origin of that style. who came up with it?? it seems to be universal around Ireland. its just plain weird.

It's a national disgrace that we have so many of that ilk. One thing I really like in Canada is that if you look around in say West Edmonton Mall you see "normal people". Look around in say Blanchardstown or Liffey Valley and there are hoards of tracksuited f***wits and hooded wasters. A complete embarassement to the Irish nation - Between having so many of those morons and the useless, corrupt politicians who have destroyed the country it's no wonder Ireland is in the state it's in.....:rolleyes:

Faith wrote: »
    Most people haven't got jobs lined up going over, so that question couldn't even be asked.

He said it was a two year work visa. Au contraire I can assure you that question can be asked and is asked very frequently by Canadian Immigration....

How many times have you passed through Canadian Immigration then ? ? ?

Even having a job "lined up" and having the correct paperwork does not guarantee that Canadian Immigration will admit you to the country - It is up to the discretion of the Individual Immigration Officer. People can be, and have been, put on the next flight home.

Advertisement