Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

serious illness insurance

Options
  • 28-05-2014 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi people
    I'm looking for advice please.I've life cover on my mortgage with serious illness of 20000, its been in place 6yrs,in march I shopped around and got a new policy cheaper as it had mortgage life cover with aceralated serious illness of 50000,I tried to cancel the first policy but couldn't straight away as the bank had an interest and so the 2 policies stayed in place.
    Now on the 12th of may I found a lump on my testicle, on the 16th I went to the doctor.
    He said he wasn't worried but sent me for a scan anyway.
    It's turned out it is cancer and I had an operation to remove the testicle. It's been a terrible time and I'm so worried about paying my bills.
    The question I'm asking is can I claim on both policies?
    Thanks in advance for any opinions expressed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

jeez you poor guy. I wish you well. But boards.ie is not the place for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Sorry to hear that, would check the t&c of both, they may do a split in the case of dual cover possibly? I wish you well.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Very sorry to hear that Waybuloo.

As long as you are paying the 2 premiums and this is covered under the terms and conditions of you policies you should be able to claim off both policies. Contact your bank or insurance broker and get them to notify the insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Sorry to hear about your illness and hope you make a full recovery. If you are still paying the premium on both policies and they are both in force and once the illness is covered you should be able to claim from both policies. On the accelerated illness policy once the 50k is paid out this will reduce the life cover by 50k.
    Best of luck

waybuloo wrote: »
    Hi people
    I'm looking for advice please.I've life cover on my mortgage with serious illness of 20000, its been in place 6yrs,in march I shopped around and got a new policy cheaper as it had mortgage life cover with aceralated serious illness of 50000,I tried to cancel the first policy but couldn't straight away as the bank had an interest and so the 2 policies stayed in place.
    Now on the 12th of may I found a lump on my testicle, on the 16th I went to the doctor.
    He said he wasn't worried but sent me for a scan anyway.
    It's turned out it is cancer and I had an operation to remove the testicle. It's been a terrible time and I'm so worried about paying my bills.
    The question I'm asking is can I claim on both policies?
    Thanks in advance for any opinions expressed

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

For reimbursement of medical expenses, you wouldn't be allowed to claim on the double which would be the same with fire insurance on your home but if your policies pay out a fixed benefit like a lump sum for specific illnesses or injuries or a daily payout per day as an in-patient in hospital (not related to the hospital bills), there's nothing to stop you taking out multiple policies and claiming from all of them. Hope you make a full recovery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement