Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only takes right breast

Options
  • 28-05-2014 4:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    We've got a perfectly healthy 5 month old who has been happily breastfed (with some bottle topups) and up to now didnt care less which boob she had.

But last week or so she decided that she won't take from leftie any more, and she squeals when trying to latch. She doesnt seem to be teething yet. Nurse suggested a rugby hold which doesnt make much difference. Soon as she goes to the other breast shes happy. Partner can pump milk from leftie so its still producing as far as we know.

Anyone experience similar? Don't want to stop breastfeeding yet if we can help it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I had this problem when my daughter was just over a month. She wouldn't take the right and on the rare times she did she'd throw up the feed straight away. For me it was changing position that helped. Have you tried any others like lying down? Hopefully it's just a phase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

Went through the same thing. I would start feeding on his favourite side and then quickly swap him to other side.
    I think it was to do with the flow of milk, was much quicker let down on his fav side so he preferred that.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Both of mine preferred rightie. If I was feeding lying down, I used to give the right first and then roll further to my right so they took the left whilestill in the same position. Sitting up, I tried to put them to sleep towards the end of the right and gave the left as a dream feed, even if it was daytime and they would be awake again 15 mins later. They both got over it after a while - just a phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Both of mine preferred rightie. If I was feeding lying down, I used to give the right first and then roll further to my right so they took the left whilestill in the same position. Sitting up, I tried to put them to sleep towards the end of the right and gave the left as a dream feed, even if it was daytime and they would be awake again 15 mins later. They both got over it after a while - just a phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I had the same problem around the 5 month mark too. He is 7 months now and still often rejects one side during the day. He will take either side at night/bedtime and if we are lying down. I worried about it at the beginning and used the rugby hold with success but it was uncomfortable so I mainly just offer the one side during the day now. Has caused me no problems with supply,which seems to have regulated itself accordingly. Only problem is the rejected side will leak each time he feeds. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

Dd always preferred left side (maybe i did too as i could do stuff with my free right hand).. i always tried her on the right first which seemed to work for us. I would look up la leche league & ring your local bf counsellor for advice, mine even offered to.call to me which was amazing.. if youve the funds, a bf lactation consultant would be a good investment..

Advertisement