Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time teaching contract, can you break it, in order to take a permanent job?

Options
  • 28-05-2014 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Looking for some advice. I went for an interview and have been offered a maternity leave contract in a secondary school. Meanwhile, a permanent job has come up in my subject area that I wish to apply for. However I have been told by the principal that I must sign the contract immediately. Can i break the contract if I sign it? The interviews for the permanent job will prob not be for another two weeks. I am expecting to receive the contract today. What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭f3232

Sign maternity leave contract. In the very unlikely scenario that you get the permanent job then explain to the principal your position. In my view a principal will understand you wanting to leave if you have a permanent job to go to.

I would not hold your breath on getting that permanent job however.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 artychick85

Oh i know i am not holding my breath! However another permanent job has come up today and a career break so I would like to apply for them anyway. Will i have to work some notice do you think if i sign the contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Unless you actually start working in the job , they can't hold you to that contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I would think that the usual rules for contracts apply, that is that once you sign the contract, you will have to give whatever the relevant notice is. Given that you're talking about subject areas, I assume you're a secondary teacher so what difference does it make if you have to give notice? The notice will be during the summer so it makes little difference practically speaking. A notice period is to give the employer a chance to replace you, not some punitive forced work period. You'll serve your notice in July (or whenever you find out about the permanent job, if you get it) and be good to go in September. Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

RealJohn wrote: »
    ...You'll serve your notice in July (or whenever you find out about the permanent job, if you get it) and be good to go in September. Or am I missing something?

I would imagine that it would depend on the start date for the maternity contract. It would be hard to serve notice in July for a contract that doesn't have a start date until September.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice. The contract will start at the end of august when school starts again. The principal wants me to sign it asap as she is aware there are other jobs coming up. I haven't received the contract yet so that buys me another day. But not much good as I wont know about interviews in other jobs till next week. Yes I'm a secondary teacher, and those are my thoughts too on serving notice, surely if it does happen, I can get out of it without having to work a notice as job does not start till end of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I wouldn't think you have to serve your notice from the start of the contract. You would have to serve your notice from the date you give your notice, regardless of when the contract starts I would have thought.

I would hope so too RealJohn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Seems to be a bit of pressure on to sign quick..Dont sign any contract as soon as its put in front of your nose. Take it, say thanks very much and say youll have it back asap once you have read it (maybe you could run it by a trusted staff member!)...then sign and get them to sign if you are happy...then get a copy asap....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

Even if you sign now you will still have the opportunity to give the months notice. If you get the other job i would be straight up with your current principal and tell them as soon as you can.

don't worry about what might happen, worry about it if it does happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Even if you sign the contract now, it is not binding in respect of notice until you take up the job and they are paying you.

Godge wrote: »
    Even if you sign the contract now, it is not binding in respect of notice until you take up the job and they are paying you.

I have been asked to put it in writing that I am accepting the job. Is this in anyway legally binding? Haven't received contract yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I have been asked to put it in writing that I am accepting the job. Is this in anyway legally binding? Haven't received contract yet.

Teaching a number of years and have never heard of a Principal being so strict about contracts and notice etc - especially for a maternity cover job. I know plenty of Principals who don't get around to signing contracts until weeks or months into the school year.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭f3232

It's standard for some vecs to ask for acceptance of offer in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Anzac_11

Artychick85, I've been in the same position before. What I did was contact the one I really wanted (your permanent one) and explained to them that I have been offered a position but would prefer to work for them. I told them I do not want to put pressure on them and explained the situation.

They pushed my interview forward by a few weeks and I got the job. Sometimes employers appreciate total honesty and you choosing them over another offered job makes them understand that you are serious about their position.

Good luck and hope it works out for you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭marie12

the principal prob wants it done and dusted for the summer but you look after number 1. a decent principal will let you go without hassle. i once left a mat leave 2 wks early for a longer term job, the principal was a bit annoyed but sure what can you do, you have to look after yourself. sign it and then play it by ear. you are replaceable at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cosycottager

Looking for some advice. I went for an interview and have been offered a maternity leave contract in a secondary school. Meanwhile, a permanent job has come up in my subject area that I wish to apply for. However I have been told by the principal that I must sign the contract immediately. Can i break the contract if I sign it? The interviews for the permanent job will prob not be for another two weeks. I am expecting to receive the contract today. What should I do?

This same thing happened me last summer. I had gone for interview for a job which was over 100km from my hse. I was offered the job. Then I was called to interview for 2 jobs both within 10km of my house. I rang the first principal and explained. He was very kind and said he would wait for the outcome of those interviews. I suspect myself that he rang one, if not both of the schools, as he asked in detail about them. As it turned out, I was also offered those jobs and he was great about it!

I was 3 weeks into the school locally when a permanent position came up in another local school. I applied and went to tell my new principal. Obviously it wasn't an ideal situation for the principal but she wished me luck. As it transpired, I didn't get the job!

All principals understand these days that its a tough game to be in and that we, as teachers, must look after ourselves and they are ok with that. The very best of luck!

Advertisement