Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bully in the park!

• 28-05-2014 10:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

Guys opinions on this pls. My pup (yes I know she's 1 now and not technically a pup anymore lol :p) was playing with another young dog yesterday - romping around, chasing each other etc. Now they were only interested in each other and not bothering the other dogs but another dog - a collie who'd be about 5- would not leave them alone growling at them, pushing them over and getting Lucy by the leg until she fell down again and again. She didn't like it but didn't bark or growl back at him - she lay down instead. He wasn't trying to play with them and wasn't playfully growling. The dog is always doing this to other dogs and pinning by the neck etc.

This IMO is not appropriate - if the dog doesn't like other dogs to play it's owner and said dog should FO somewhere else and leave the dogs play...or at least discipline the dog instead of standing laughing spouting dominance rubbish- am I wrong?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

You know you're not wrong!
    To me, the way to deal with owners who are in denial about their dog's behaviour in the park is for a group of other owners to ask him to keep his dog away from theirs. A bit of peer pressure goes a long way and is the mechanism by which good dog parks are self-policed.
    If necessary, all other owners should get their dogs back on lead and tell yer man that there'll be no play at all if he can't control his dog. He'll surely get the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thank you!!
    It's actually a woman walking her daughters dog. And I've witnessed the daughter screaming at him and alpha rolling him :mad: I said it to my friend's OH after they left and he didn't see what the problem was - only dawned on me that him being deaf in one ear he wouldn't have heard him growling lol! The owner of the other dog agreed with me though. I almost gave out but stopped myself because the woman is a PITA - I won't keep my mouth shut again.

The same dog went for Bailey the first time they met when Bailey was a few months old and the dog was 9 months old so it's not that he's 'a grumpy old man' like they make out!

Advertisement