Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog was knocked down

• 28-05-2014 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

Last night my family pet dog was knocked down...thankfully he has survived with just a few knocks and is very shaken.
    This happened last night while my 13 year old was walking him he was hysterical when he got back to the house.
    The driver of the car followed my son home and asked him could he speak to his parents.
    So during the commotion of trying to assess the dogs injuries and calm three young children the driver demanded I come out a look at the "damage" on his car which I did.
    As it was dark out I couldn't really properly see if there was any damage but it certainly didn't look as if there was.
    All I could tell is that it was a 2002 dark colored Ford mondeo so I asked the man if he would come back tomorrow when it's bright and we'd have another look.
    He agreed but insisted that the damage will need to be paid for by me.
    And mentioned a sum off €500
    Does anyone know what my stance should be on this?
    Am I 100% liable?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

was the dog on a lead? how did it happen? Glad he is Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

If the dog was off his lead i'd say you'd be liable all right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Your poor kid. God love him, must have had an awful shock.

I'd recommend a quick vet check up for peace of mind. Maybe let your son up with the dog so the vet can reassure him too.

Anyway with regards to whether you're liable or not I'd imagine it depends on how it happened. Was your dog off the lead? How did it happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭joe6pack

was the dog on a lead? how did it happen? Glad he is Ok.

Thanks.
    He was on the lead but something got his attention and he darted and my son couldn't hold him.
    So he did actually have his lead on at the time he was struck...but nobody was holding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

It really depends on how it happened and if the dog was off the lead. I would not go handing over any money though. I would wait for the driver to return and assess the damage. Then depending on the damage I would offer to have it repaired myself. He pulled the figure of €500 out of his ass and is just chancing his arm. If he starts demanding money, I would report it to to Gardai and explain that you have offered to repair the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Hi OP

Glad your dog is OK

First you do not pay this guy any money yet.

you need to find out exactly what happened. The Driver needs to contact his Insurance company first to report the accident, Quotes need to be estimated and his insurance company needs to contact you. I think you may be responsible if your dog went out on the road causing an accident. Im not even sure if the Gardai need to be notified. When he arrives you need to take pictures yourself of the damage too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Unfortunately you are liable in this instance as the dog wasn't under effectual control, but as with any motor accident, he needs to get some sort of estimate for the damage, and you can nominate the garage that will do the work (though he's not obliged to use your nominated garage). He had a bit of a cheek coming up with that price.
    There's also the issue of whether any damage that is done to the car was done by the impact with your dog at all... But how to prove it is another thing.
    I think I'd have taken a photo last night, despite the darkness, in case the car develops a new dent in the interim, but again, how you could prove otherwise I don't know.
    It may be worthwhile checking with your house insurers, they may cover this sort of liability (at least, some do in cases where the family dog damaged livestock).
    I'd certainly advise that you bring your dog to the vet for a check-up, as you've no idea if there's any internal damage at this point. Glad to hear the dog survived, and hope your poor son gets over the shock soon, poor little fella :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

People like that sicken my happiness! He's after hitting a dog and his first instinct is ill make a quick buck here! Aren't you supposed to notify the guards if u hit a dog? Put that to him when he comes back with his probable made up quote for damage! Surely if the dog wasn't that badly injured it was just a glancing blow. Obviously if there's a blatant dent that's up to u to ascertain whether u should pay up but on a 12 year old car who's to say and given hes already asking for a specific amount in 500 id say hes just chancing his arm! If u think so, turn it back on him and mention vet bills!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

People like that sicken my happiness! He's after hitting a dog and his first instinct is ill make a quick buck here! Aren't you supposed to notify the guards if u hit a dog? Put that to him when he comes back with his probable made up quote for damage! Surely if the dog wasn't that badly injured it was just a glancing blow. Obviously if there's a blatant dent that's up to u to ascertain whether u should pay up but on a 12 year old car who's to say and given hes already asking for a specific amount in 500 id say hes just chancing his arm! If u think so, turn it back on him and mention vet bills!

Vet bills nothing to do with the driver. Its the dog i feel sorry for, as he was brought out for a walk with someone that didnt have the strength to handle him, questions for the owners of the dog. Luckily it was a dart for the road and not for a small kid. Thank god the dog is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Its not the drivers fault the dog was not under control, why should he have to suffer a damaged car because of it?

A dog could make quite a dent in a car without much damage to the dog if it landed full body against the side of it.

He wouldnt be liable for any vet bills, the dog was not under the control of the owner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

DBB wrote: »
    and you can nominate the garage that will do the work.

Don't know where you got that idea. If you feel the estimate is too high, you could challenge it, but you certainly couldn't require the car owner to use your chosen repairer. Indeed, while the car owner's entitled to the cost of the repair, there's nothing to stop him choosing not to have it done and keeping the cash.
    He had a bit of a cheek coming up with that price.

Don't know how you can say that either - €500 wouldn't buy a lot of panel beating and painting. The owner's also entitled to reasonable compensation for reduction in value of the car. All other things being equal, two identical cars, the one damaged and repaired will be worth less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

EUR500... what a nice, round number.

Pity the guy doesn't have some empathy - unless his car really is that badly damaged.

I hit a dog recently, luckily it was okay in the end, but the emergency-stop caused the car's front left wheel to trap the dog until I moved the car a few inches forward. During which time the dog had chewed the alloy wheel. Last thing on my mind was to ask the dog owner to fix it ! FFS, some people.

As I say, EUR500 is a nice round number, I'd be taking a bit more interest in what is damaged and what it costs to fix. If paint damage, a "smart repair" could be less than EUR200. A full respray of a bumper wouldn't be more than EUR350

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Its not the drivers fault the dog was not under control, why should he have to suffer a damaged car because of it?

A dog could make quite a dent in a car without much damage to the dog if it landed full body against the side of it.

He wouldnt be liable for any vet bills, the dog was not under the control of the owner.

I absolutely agree! I'm talking about if this guy is taking advantage which I think he may well try to! If there is damage that's of course something the dog owner should pay for. Yet the op seems to think there wasn't yet this guy is shouting figures already.......which indicates to me he's chancing his arm. Personally, if I hit a dog , my first thought would be for the welfare of the animal and the relief I hadn't hit the child with him. I'm not trying to get the op out of paying up if there is indeed damage.

Its the dog i feel sorry for, as he was brought out for a walk with someone that didnt have the strength to handle him, questions for the owners of the dog. Luckily it was a dart for the road and not for a small kid. Thank god the dog is ok.

That's a bit unfair. Many adult owners, myself included, have dropped the dog's lead by accident. The kid is 13, not a small child. I'd imagine he feels crap enough without this sort of guilt trip being laid on him.
    As for the "luckily it was not a small kid" comment... Really? Unless you know this dog has form in running at kids, you're stretching credibilty just a tad.
    Won't somebody pleeease think of the children?!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Back in 2008 a dog ran out and hit my car broadside causing quite a bit of damage. First thing I did was try find the dog and owner as I thought I must have injured it. Didn't find either as the dog belted off somewhere. I reported it to guards and insurance and it ended up at 800 odd quid for the damage. Insurance paid but I lost some no claims bonus. Don't know how that guy came up with 500 euro out of nowhere.

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Don't know where you got that idea. If you feel the estimate is too high, you could challenge it, but you certainly couldn't require the car owner to use your chosen repairer.

In fairness, I had amended my post to reflect that before you posted.

Don't know how you can say that either - €500 wouldn't buy a lot of panel beating and painting. The owner's also entitled to reasonable compensation for reduction in value of the car. All other things being equal, two identical cars, the one damaged and repaired will be worth less.

I think you missed my point. I don't dispute that the car owner is entitled to be compensated, indeed my post absolutely reflects that.
    The point I was making was that the driver, minutes after the accident and in the dark, having not sought professional opinion, pulled the figure of €500 out of the air.

The owner's also entitled to reasonable compensation for reduction in value of the car. All other things being equal, two identical cars, the one damaged and repaired will be worth less.

Lol no hes not , the OP would pay for the price of the repair.

OP tell the guy to contact his insurance company and for them to contact you.

Get the guy to get the car repaired if you agree on the damage and then give you the bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I fail to see why the driver should be more concerned about the dog than his car !
    This individual through no fault of his own had his car damaged by careless control of a dog. Dog owners need to understand the implications of poor dog control.
    Yes it's great the dog is fine as I feel sorry for the child who was supposed to be responsible for the dog. But the owner is left with little recourse here only pay up for the damage caused.

Nobody condones inflated prices or taking advantage but he deserves fair
    Compensation for the damage caused and no whinging nor casting shady names on him for it.

Dog owners need to be responsible and to remember that not everyone is a dog lover. They need to be restrained at all times and not allowed to run wild in public. I'm sure the majority do but you see so many dogs being let off the lead in irresponsible situations where they inconvenience and terrorise the public.

I'll admit I'm tainted as our daughter was knocked down and terrorised by a loose dog in a public park. On numerous occasions I've had to chastise owners for poor control of their animals in public parks and beaches.

Dog owners need to be responsible!
    If your dog causes damage because it's not controlled then you have to pay !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

That's a bit unfair. Many adult owners, myself included, have dropped the dog's lead by accident. The kid is 13, not a small child. I'd imagine he feels crap enough without this sort of guilt trip being laid on him.
    As for the "luckily it was not a small kid" comment... Really? Unless you know this dog has form in running at kids, you're stretching credibilty just a tad.
    Won't somebody pleeease think of the children?!!!

A dog doesnt need form to have a go at a kid. Also wasn't saying this dog would go for a kid.

I was highlighting what could happen, and pointing out only a person that can control the dog should be bringing the dog out for a walk. Not laying a guilt trip, laying the common sense.

Accidents can happen and that's fair enough, but if your accident causes damage, you should have the respect to pay for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

_Brian wrote: »

A guy I used to work with was driving one day and a dog owner had her dog on an extendable lead and was letting the dog walk in the middle of the road! There was a car oncoming so he had to hit the dog rather than swerve into the oncoming car.
    He stopped and the dog's owner screamed at him for "being so careless" for hitting her dog and that he should have swerved- what, into an oncoming car??? Into her???

• Advertisement

I fail to see why the driver should be more concerned about the dog than his car !
    This individual through no fault of his own had his car damaged by careless control of a dog. Dog owners need to understand the implications of poor dog control.
    Yes it's great the dog is fine as I feel sorry for the child who was supposed to be responsible for the dog. But the owner is left with little recourse here only pay up for the damage caused.

Compensation for the damage caused and no whinging nor casting shady names on him for it.

Dog owners need to be responsible and to remember that not everyone is a dog lover. They need to be restrained at all times and not allowed to run wild in public. I'm sure the majority do but you see so many dogs being let off the lead in irresponsible situations where they inconvenience and terrorise the public.

I'll admit I'm tainted as our daughter was knocked down and terrorised by a loose dog in a public park. On numerous occasions I've had to chastise owners for poor control of their animals in public parks and beaches.

Brian Brian Brian

Nobody is contesting that the OP is responsible for the Damage.

It how the Driver pulled out the Quote for damage out of his arse is whats funny.

If a cat sat on the bonnet of my car and put a 1mm scrape on it can i get the owner to pay me €10,000 because That's the cost I think the damage is worth?

OP needs receipts and paperwork and not deal directly with the owner

Whinging?
    I'm not seeing anyone whinging... I'm not surprised that some people in the Animals and Pets forum would express huge concern for the dog and even say that they would not pursue the owner, what with it being the Animals and Pets forum. But to cast their feelings aside as whinging is really unfair.
    And it's not the man's right to be compensated that's being called into question. It's the manner in which he magicked a substantial sum out of the air that people are casting shady names on him for.... Justifiably so.
    Had he simply said he'd be looking to get the car repaired, and would come back to op with a quote, there wouldn't have been the slightest suggestion of shadiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Is there any other witnesses - otherwise it's his word against yours (or your sons in this case).
    If there is damage, who knows when that happened, he could be looking for you to repair damage that was already there.
    Pay him nothing, he needs to go through his insurance, and you should go to the Gardai to report it as if he does you will be asked to report anyway.

Mr_Red wrote: »
    Lol no hes not , the OP would pay for the price of the repair.

LOL, I have in fact claimed and been paid for reduction in value of my car on top of the actual cost of repairs from the other party's insurance. If I recall correctly, the usual rule of thumb is 10% of the repair costs.

Anyway, we're a bit off topic. I'd agree with the thrust of most posts that the dog owner's liable, but you'd want proof that the damage was actually caused by the dog and that the repair costs are reasonable.

I was highlighting what could happen, and pointing out only a person that can control the dog should be bringing the dog out for a walk. Not laying a guilt trip, laying the common sense.

Indeed, and I was pointing out that anyone, of any age can be taken by surprise if the dog suddenly yoinks the lead out of your hand. It's happened to me, it's happened to many adults.
    You, on the other hand, appear to be suggesting that the dog's escaping was because it was a child that was walking him. Not only is this unfair, I'm sure the way you phrased it would make the kid feel even worse than he does now.
    Indeed, it could surely be argued that it's just as well the young fella let go of the lead, as he could have been dragged out into the road if he hadn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Maybe because he's a human being and should have some empathy for the animal and its owners thaty outweighs the superficial condition of his material possessions?

Yes, the law is clear that it's the owner's fault, and thankfully no-one was hurt, but being a cold-hearted dick into the bargain is unnecessary.

LOL, I have in fact claimed and been paid for reduction in value of my car on top of the actual cost of repairs from the other party's insurance.

Yes Via insurance company . You didnt go up to the guy as ask for the money.

You went through insurance.

you (might) get that if :

1. Going through insurance

2. take out a civil case

Yes Via insurance company . You didnt go up to the guy as ask for the money.

Same principle applies, whether or not an insurance company's paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Vet bills nothing to do with the driver. Its the dog i feel sorry for, as he was brought out for a walk with someone that didnt have the strength to handle him, questions for the owners of the dog. Luckily it was a dart for the road and not for a small kid. Thank god the dog is ok.
    A dog doesnt need form to have a go at a kid. Also wasn't saying this dog would go for a kid.

Accidents can happen and that's fair enough, but if your accident causes damage, you should have the respect to pay for it

Nice posts these. My dog, a cocker, has taken me by surprise plenty times and taken me off balance. Luckily it was for nothing more than a butterfly or an emergency sniff at at a lump of grass we have just passed. I am not exactly a weakling, so it does happen.

To basically tell the father of the child and owner of the dog that he did not take due care is being pretty nasty imo. He is looking for advice on a situation he is unsure of how to proceed, not look to be judged from the sidelines.

To echo this, unfortunatley it is something a co worker got stung by before. Her lab was knocked down and killed a few years ago. She thought her dog was missing until a notice was put up in the local shop. She responded to the notice and was slapped with a hefty panel beating bill as well as a shock of a dead dog and vet (or whoever) bill for cremating the dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Brian Brian Brian

Nobody is contesting that the OP is responsible for the Damage.

It how the Driver pulled out the Quote for damage out of his arse is whats funny.

If a cat sat on the bonnet of my car and put a 1mm scrape on it can i get the owner to pay me €10,000 because That's the cost I think the damage is worth?

OP needs receipts and paperwork and not deal directly with the owner

Pretty sure cat owners are not legally liable for damages caused by their pet :confused:

Its a kind of legal recognition that cats are uncontrollable agents of evil

Advertisement